• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is getting slammed on Metacritic (story spoilers)

Bragr

Banned
She is not. Do not be swayed by these Internet trolls and salty fanboys.

It is an RPG, and the game offers you a choice of making it romantic if you want to. The same choice is offered for both a guy (Avad) and a girl (Seyka).

Similar to how it is done in Assassin’s Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, or Mass Effect.

You can make her straight, lesbian, bi, or nothing.

6zdIDoK.jpg

Do not be swayed by fake outrage by these salty fanboys.

The short length and Aloy's sexual orientation are not sitting well with "gamers" as Burning Shores is getting slammed.

Ridiculous. Metacritic is really turning into a hotbed for people to hate and troll. I wonder if Metacritic will eventually disable it.

jk7Bjtk.jpg

KI2P5Uh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar¢tos

Wasn't Ellie enough? Does everyone has to be gay in Sony games?
I'm gay and I'm disappointed because it's just to tick a box.
It would feel more natural to the game if she was straight since she had plenty of male suiters in both games and then they shove a lesbian interest in a short dlc that not everybody will play.

Jinjo

They hired an Era celebrity and suddenly Aloy is a lesbian and Elon Musk is the villain. Hmm.

The actress for Aloy is queer / pansexual, that seems less of a reach in logic for a reason tbh.

Anyway, Forbidden West was already a bland open world game, not shocked the DLC is also bland. Seems the review slams are more because of some silly controvery though and it's time metacritic starts doing something about unbiased / single issue review bombing.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A clone of a gay woman turns out to be gay, shocker.

I think this was always the plan after the most flirting she did was the side quest with the crafter who had her tits out in the original.

The irony is that those two actually had some build up and mild chemistry including when she showed up early on in forbidden West.

However I find it surprising that Aloy after being so uttely dull and bland managed to show any interest in anything but herself after the the way the game went.

Tangerine

Just bandwagon jumping, diversity box ticking, pandering.

How many more core Sony franchises will be infected with diversity equity inclusion initiatives?

It doesn't feel organic any more it feels like it's there to tick a box. It takes you out the experience.

But no doubt anyone that doesn't want a certain ideology thrust down their throats will just be labeled as homophobic, bigoted etc. as always happens.

Those who disliked last of us part 2 were bigots too! Just ask resetera.

Last edited:
I guess the thing not sitting well with players is that it feels shoehorned with how little time it takes for Aloy to warm up to this new character when she stated many times during Zero Dawn and Forbidden West that "it's not the time for that. That humanity is at risk of facing another extinction event if she doesn't do what it must be done".

She has put this insurmountable barrier around her that kept people away throughout the 2 main games and the DLC for Zero Dawn. It is understandable from the first game because she was raised as an outcast and shunned by her own tribe, so her being wary of human approach is within expectations for her character. The problem I have is that she still did not have much character growth going into the second game until the very end, and throughout her journey in Forbidden West she reluctantly accepted help sometimes like it was a burden, making it even harder to understand this 180 she did in the Burning Shores DLC.

I'm not even talking about her sexual orientation strictly but more about her character in general. If I could choose, I'd romance everyone in the game just to have a good laugh because games aren't to be taken that seriously anyway. However, I feel Guerilla should have built something like this in a main entry of the franchise because of how things are here this is just a rethreading of The Last of Us Left Behind DLC. It's poorly told and lacks the emotional impact if you consider everything about Aloy herself that has been built throughout the franchise. And no, Elisabet Sobeck being lesbian doesn't really imply Aloy should be as well since it has nothing to do with genetics (saw some arguments trying to defend this on reddit and it sounds pretty dumb).

Last edited:
Havent played the DLC but loved the main game, it's my goty. If what I read is right, there are a ton of issues with this...she became colder and more calculated, more detached from everyone, it's how they build her character in parallel with Sobek and I loved that about her, which many did not, yet all I see in the DLC is the complete opposite of her character. I'm gonna go ahead and agree that this was an agenda for both the people that complained that she was lacking personality/being cold in the main game and to get lgbt points. Eh, guess I'll skip it.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

It gives you the option not to kiss at the end, so what is the problem

I'm not saying it wont be cannon in the next game, because it probably will, but whilst the options there I don't get the outrage at all

There is literally an option to say you aren't interested and walk off

Last edited:

Mephisto40

How short is short? like 6 to 8 hours would be perfect imo
The main story missions take around 5 hours to complete on easy, the side content probably bumps it up to around 7 hours

Considering the content is only £15 I think the length is pretty much ok tbh, the map is about a 3rd of the size of the main games map

Last edited:

M1987

Havent played the DLC but loved the main game, it's my goty. If what I read is right, there are a ton of issues with this...she became colder and more calculated, more detached from everyone, it's how they build her character in parallel with Sobek and I loved that about her, which many did not, yet all I see in the DLC is the complete opposite of her character. I'm gonna go ahead and agree that this was an agenda for both the people that complained that she was lacking personality/being cold in the main game and to get lgbt points. Eh, guess I'll skip it.
This is most people's problem with it from what I've seen,that it felt too rushed

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The main story missions take around 5 hours to complete on easy, the side content probably bumps it up to around 7 hours

Considering the content is only £15 I think the length is pretty much ok tbh, the map is about a 3rd of the size of the main games map

Sounds good to me, right kind of length.

ClosBSAS

lol who cares man...why are ppl so obsessed with characters being gay or not...also, as said above, it was obvious aloy was gay. from the beginning. such an ugly child

At first I thought it was just the story beat that everyone experienced and thought, ‘Well, that would rile some people op.’ But then I learned it’s a CHOICE and I don’t get the hate at all.

In my mind Aloy developed her interpersonal relationships enough to feel that way about someone.

Game length and content also seems to be a bit of an overreaction, but that’s at least a bit more subjective.

FingerBang

That's shorter than I thought, though not an issue tbh. Fair length for the price.

I really don't care who Aloy likes to fuck: she's just a forgettable Mary Sue and a butch lesbian, a femboy or 4 massive dudes a la Brazzers are not going to make up for that.

Mephisto40

That's shorter than I thought, though not an issue tbh. Fair length for the price.

I really don't care who Aloy likes to fuck: she's just a forgettable Mary Sue and a butch lesbian, a femboy or 4 massive dudes a la Brazzers are not going to make up for that.
I just think it's funny the people complaining about her preference in partners must have picked the "love" option at the end, so I'm not sure what they expected?!? lol

There are literally two other options, one to tell her you arent sure, and one to tell her you're staright up not interested, but no, the hate crowd picked the option that would enrage them the most it seems

Nautilus

Banned
Oh, so its explicity said on the DLC? Shame.

It was clearly hinted in the main game, and god I can't stand this trend of every character having to have a sexual preference, and have them say "I am gay/bi/straight/etc". It adds nothing to the game, most of the time detracts from the main story/plot, because time needs to be spend to show how much gay/bi/straight/etc that character is, and 99% of the time that happens is just feels like pandering, like someone put there out of personal interest, rather than in service to the story.

Why can't characters of a game just be great dads, or great action heroes, or just an unfortunate dude in a horrible situation, and not also happens to be gay and say so while that person tries to fight for his life?

kingyala

Banned
The short length and Aloy's sexual orientation are not sitting well with "gamers" as Burning Shores is getting slammed.

Ridiculous. Metacritic is really turning into a hotbed for people to hate and troll. I wonder if Metacritic will eventually disable it.

[/URL][/URL]

jk7Bjtk.jpg

KI2P5Uh.jpg
Why disable it... freedom is always fundamental wheather you hate how somebody else thinks or not... canceling speech and thought is exactly what fascism is.. nobody should tell people how to think, feel and what to say.. otherwise well be living in some plastic artificial world where everybody has a forced smile on their face and just says amen to everything...

It is clear as day that the media the news the music the movies and games are pushing some lgbt agenda... literally anybody with a brain can see this, and denying people to express how they feel is just plain stupid... this is similar to the recent budweiser ad with a trans that didnt go well... and idiots pretend they dont understand the backlash, if they had a brain they would know beer just like video games are a very male centric products. And besides the gay stuff the game is really boring i said this earlier and it seems most people think the same.. its tech demo with virtue signaling as a bonus

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Just bandwagon jumping, diversity box ticking, pandering.

How many more core Sony franchises will be infected with diversity equity inclusion initiatives?

It doesn't feel organic any more it feels like it's there to tick a box. It takes you out the experience.

But no doubt anyone that doesn't want a certain ideology thrust down their throats will just be labeled as homophobic, bigoted etc. as always happens.

Those who disliked last of us part 2 were bigots too! Just ask resetera.

I think fundamentally these things are there because the creators know it infuriates the sort of people they hate, and that gives them intense joy.

I think hatred is the ultimate source of this stuff.

Top Bottom