• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror movie recommendations

j0hnnix

You found those 3 films "disturbing" ?
Man, don't even try to watch When evil lurks then :

...or any other sick shit out there which have gore just for the sake of it (Evil dead remake/Raw/ etc)

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of excessive violence/gore and while the term "disturbing" can wildly vary from case to case and from individual to individual, those 3 movies mentioned are pretty mild all things considered, sure, thematically are pretty dark but, again, they're not over the top or anything IMO

Cheers

That scene was a total "oh shit" moment for me.

Don't tell anyone to watch A Serbian film. That's just over the limit and unnecessary.

RedC

So I went through everybody's posts and there are a lot of great recommendations so I will try to not recommend those.

I didn't see anybody recommend the 2007 French slasher film INSIDE which was part of the new extremity movement.

InsidePoster.jpg

you can watch INSIDE for free on Tubi, however, I'm not certain if it's the Unrated version or not.

I watched the Unrated version years ago and it was really good.

Still worth watching.

Last edited:

RedC

I also remember liking the 2014 low-budget film Last Shift.

MV5BZmFjMmMxMzYtMzU3NC00YWZlLWExMjktNmU5OTZjYTQ4MjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

They remade it with a bigger budget titled Malum and released it in 2023 but I never saw it.

Last edited:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Omen (1976)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Alien (1979)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
Poltergeist (1982)
Aliens (1986)
The Fly (1986)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Scream (1996)
The Faculty (1998)
This list is undefeated. Terrific choices all.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Near Dark (1987)
Audition (1999)
Wolf Creek (2005)
Let The Right One In (2008)
Martyrs (2008)
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Sinister (2012)
It Follows (2014)
Mandy (2018)
Hereditary (2018)
Men (2022)
Cobweb (2023)

Last edited:

Hugare

Redlettermedia has a video out on Late Night w/ the Devil.

But I actually liked it before they did so :pie_smirking:

Watched it last night. And what a boring movie it was.

I loved the concept, but it felt very fake. Maybe due to the terrible CGI or making it too clean for something from that era.

And it wasnt scary, at all. Like, not even slightly.

"When Evil Lurks" was by far the best horror movie that I've seen for the past months, maybe even years

Really hate this recent trend of "interesting" horror movies that dont scare at all. I watch horror movies to feel scared, first and foremost.

Last edited:

RedC

Watched it last night. And what a boring movie it was.

I loved the concept, but it felt very fake. Maybe due to the terrible CGI or making it too clean for something from that era.

And it wasnt scary, at all. Like, not even slightly.

"When Evil Lurks" was by far the best horror movie that I've seen for the past months, maybe even years
I respectfully disagree and thought Late Night with the Devil was great.

However, I think you have to be somewhat familiar with 70's American late-night talk shows and the obsession with the paranormal, psychic powers, mediums, and all the conmen who capitalized on it at that time to appreciate it.

I loved how they had a skeptic James Randi-like character too.

I never heard of When Evil Lurks, but will definitely watch it tonight.

Last edited:

Neff

Hugare

I respectfully disagree and thought Late Night with the Devil was great.

However, I think you have to be somewhat familiar with 70's American late-night talk shows and the obsession with the paranormal, psychic powers, mediums, and all the conmen who capitalized on it at that time to appreciate it.

I loved how they had a skeptic James Randi-like character too.

I never heard of When Evil Lurks, but will definitely watch it tonight.
I don't know, man. I've seen tons of movies with stuff that I wasnt familiar with and enjoyed them for what they were nonetheless.

I admit that I'm not that familiar with old talk shows, but I've watched some on Youtube (old interviews with personalities that I was interested into), and this felt so fake.

Like I said, it was filmed in a way that felt too modern. Camera movements that werent used back then. Some bad acting as well, imo. And the CGI was really bad (those CGI newspapers and magazines covers were worse than whatever Forrest Gump used back then to insert him in old videos)

It was unique. And it's the only good thing that I can say about it, honestly. Pacing was also dreadful despite being 1:30h long.

Skinamarink, but I don't recommend it. I had all the time in the world and decided to watch the whole thing. I've been thinking of that movie--and a few images from it, specifically--in my 3AM bathroom runs ever since.

It probably could've been cut down by a half hour. Keep the best parts, and there'd still be plenty of downtime for all the off-kilter filler shots that serve to (I think, intentionally) bore you so that the jump scares are that much more impactful.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I just watched The Ninth Configuration.

pcAm8DvzJf1nGR3W3lOBKjiLCVj-0-1000-0-1500-crop.jpg

Its not a horror movie at all, more a psychological drama. But it was directed by William Peter Blaty who wrote the book for Exorcist I and Legion (Excorcist III). Baty also directed this movie (based on one of his books).

Honestly I loved it. Very different than what I was expecting (I was expecting horror) but very trippy.

I just watched "Arcadian" a sort of horror/post apocalyptic "monster" movie starring Nic Cage via Shudder.

Tgq6BiW.jpeg

Went in spoiler/info free and glad I did. It's fucking crazy good. The less said, the better. One
of the best monster flicks I've seen in a long, long time. Check it out!

Just saw that last night

It was ok. The only redeeming quality is the monster designs

Those designs were wild and cool

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Watched this 5 years ago.
It's a nice, dark fantasy atmospheric little movie with some nice practical FX thrown in.
On 2nd thought,
It's actually impressive what they achieved taking into account its very small budget and the few people involved.
Better to go in blind so watch just a couple of secs of the trailer as to get the gist of what it's about.

Top Bottom