• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Horror movies

Oh, do please explain how David Fincher's seminal classic is 'pretentious pop culture drivel'.

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor
Do you think naming the guy who directed Alien 3 is a point in favor of this film? The best he has directed is The Game (1997) and even then it was carried by performances. I have the same main issues with this film as I do with Shutter Island. They go for a noir theme without understanding what makes it work. It is like quotes thrown into bad writing to make it seem worldly and informed. Basic police work of following up on potential leads like individuals who have expressed interest in the same theme as the killer is treated as a revelation. Worst of all, the movie relies on the shock plot twist ending to make an impression instead of adding to the existing plot. You are free to like it, but you cannot expect to not be called out on advertising it as the greatest.

Some Brit horrors: (we mostly do comedy horror, but we do it quite well)

(The Cornetto Trilogy):
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
The World's End

Attack the Block
Dog Soldiers (probably the second best werewolf film after An American Werewolf in London)
Slaughterhouse Rulez
Lesbian Vampire Killers
Deathwatch
Dog House
Cockneys Vs Zombies
There are quite a few British horror films that manage to frighten and entertain:

28 Days Later (2002)

Hellraiser (1987)

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

The Wicker Man (1973)

Triangle (2009)

Last edited:

midnightAI

Do you think naming the guy who directed Alien 3 is a point in favor of this film? The best he has directed is The Game (1997) and even then it was carried by performances. I have the same main issues with this film as I do with Shutter Island. They go for a noir theme without understanding what makes it work. It is like quotes thrown into bad writing to make it seem worldly and informed. Basic police work of following up on potential leads like individuals who have expressed interest in the same theme as the killer is treated as a revelation. Worst of all, the movie relies on the shock plot twist ending to make an impression instead of adding to the existing plot. You are free to like it, but you cannot expect to not be called out on advertising it as the greatest.

There are quite a few British horror films that manage to frighten and entertain:

28 Days Later (2002)

Hellraiser (1987)

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

The Wicker Man (1973)

Triangle (2009)

It's scandalous that they dubbed Hellraiser to be more American

Some more horrors I really like:

Pumpkinhead
Brainscan (if you could call it one)
Man's Best Friend
The Bogey Man (1980, The Boogey Man if you are outside the UK)
My Bloody Valentine
The Faculty
Cube
The Howling

(I'm leaving out all the obvious ones)

NickFire

It's not iconic, but The Pope's Exorcist is a fun ride, and can be streamed on one of the big ones (Netflix I think).

Also - Dog Soldier's is absolutely one of the best werewolf movies ever.

Some obvious ones in here, but you never know what someone hasn't seen.

*snip*
The Empty Man (Trailers don't do it justice)

I watched The Empty Man last night because I hadn't seen it after seeing you recommend a bunch of other movies I've really liked.

Definitely going to be a cult classic if it isn't already. You could tell it was kind of low-budget and the director's first full feature, but that added to the weirdness/singularness of it. I'd like to see more movies like it!

Had some really well-done scenes. Particularly:
the scene where the protagonist stumbles upon the cult doing a ritual in the woods. You can barely make out what they're doing, and then they all turn to face him in the dark...chilling. I don't really understand why they all went feral on him right after if he's supposedly their ticket to power, but the leadup was great!

I need to check out some of the others you listed.

violence

Really? How do you watch it in black and white? Turn TV saturation to 0?
There is a Blu-ray black-and-white version. However, after buying it, I unscientifically concluded there’s no difference between buying that Blu-ray and adjusting the color down on your TV.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I watched The Empty Man last night because I hadn't seen it after seeing you recommend a bunch of other movies I've really liked.

Definitely going to be a cult classic if it isn't already. You could tell it was kind of low-budget and the director's first full feature, but that added to the weirdness/singularness of it. I'd like to see more movies like it!

the scene where the protagonist stumbles upon the cult doing a ritual in the woods. You can barely make out what they're doing, and then they all turn to face him in the dark...chilling. I don't really understand why they all went feral on him right after if he's supposedly their ticket to power, but the leadup was great!

Absolutely. It’s quite a hidden gem! I want more movies like it. It’s so unique in a lot of ways and for horror fans that have seen it all, it’s a nice change of pace.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I really enjoyed Empty Man I thought it was going to be a slender man rip off but it was so much more

clarky

Gold Member
Just watched Talk To Me.

Knew nothing about it, was excellent. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Doczu

Just watched Talk To Me.

Knew nothing about it, was excellent. Highly recommended.
I've heard it's one of the less pretentious A24 films. How would you compare it to Midsommar? I loved how Midsommar pooked, it was a beautifull... snoozefest.

clarky

Gold Member
I've heard it's one of the less pretentious A24 films. How would you compare it to Midsommar? I loved how Midsommar pooked, it was a beautifull... snoozefest.
Pretty much the opposite,(not pretentious in the slightest) the Australian vibe you only get with those movies if you catch my drift. More Hereditary than Midsommer but not like either?, although i loved both. Milage may vary. Let me know what you thought, the opening scene made me pay attention and didn't let go until the end 9/10.

In fact im stuck on a train and im going to watch it again right now.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Seriously ladies watch Talk to Me. Dont get me wrong its not "The thing" but its a right good flick that sticks the landing .

Well it sure as hell fazed me jfc

Mostly the torture of murphy at the start

It was certainly quite a horror show when I was a kid and watching it. Certainly more horror than say gremlins and that one is considered horror and I just laughed more than anything else watching it as a kid. +1 Robocop being a sci-fi horror.

midnightAI

It was certainly quite a horror show when I was a kid and watching it. Certainly more horror than say gremlins and that one is considered horror and I just laughed more than anything else watching it as a kid. +1 Robocop being a sci-fi horror.
Definitely not a horror, gore does not mean horror or Saving Private Ryan would be up there as one of the goriest horrors ever.

Now if you do want gore then Brain Dead and Black Sheep are the films to watch

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

You know what? I have such a vivid memory of Gremlins (1).

I was about 4 or 5 years old when my mother took us to the local cinema due to a bday party. And Gremlins 2 must've just came out because there were posters on the displays. I remember asking my mom to see Gremlins 2 instead but she reaponed with "No. But we can rent the first one".

And so it went. Eventually I got permission to go ahead and rent G1 at our local video store. (I was a very scared child so it was a nerve wrecking adventure going there alone and rent it)

Anyways, all went well and I was full of glee haha.

When I got around to my street I saw my neighbour walking out her door and I was so excited that I wanted to show her the VHS. So I started running, tripped and saw the VHS exit my hand in slow motion, falling on the ground. Worse yet, due to the impact the case opened and the tape flew out and scraped on the ground for what seemed forever. I felt so dumb and remorse haha. I'll never forget this. I must've been 5 years old.

We had some other children over to watch. When the scene of the "eggs" opening started I crawled under the table almost to scared to watch.

I'll never forget this.

Immersion +100

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh I think I forgot,

The Exorcist
Poltergeist
The VVitch.

Oh and I consider The Lighthouse a horror as well.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Does it get better past the intro? I paused the film where the cop lady takes the aspiring film director to the library at night.
I think you have to put your brain into the director's mindset. And said director is legendary film composer John Ottman, who wanted to make a slasher but also a Hitchcokian film. It's basically why it takes place at a film school, where the big price is the Hitchcock Award.

Suddenly silly things like possible twins/lookalikes, climbing up tall structures, the possibility of the heroine kind of possibly being losing her mind make a lot more sense and feel a lot less cheesy.

He didn't quite make it, but once you get what he was trying to do, it becomes far more palatable and is honestly quite the cut above many recent slasher films.

midnightAI

Dial it back Miss I'll decide what REAL HORROR is.

Kthxbye.
Decide whatever you want, still not a horror.

Just curious, do you think Total Recall is a horror?

Oh, here's an interesting one, what about The Running Man? It's written by Stephen King after all.

midnightAI

Another Brit one, and one for those with coulrophobia...

(Weird seeing Ross Noble in such a role also)

Last edited:
Top Bottom