• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Chicken

anyone else love hot chicken? I've been eating it about twice a month and I don't think I could ever sick of it.

we have quite a few options in Los Angeles when it comes to hot chicken, but the best IMO is Howlin' Rays. Located in Chinatown, it had a several hour wait pretty much all day every day prior to covid. They decided to switch to delivery since the pandemic started so I'm able to have it delivered without having to wait hours. It's been a godsend and one of the few positives to come out of the pandemic.

27971892_1020172884827147_8779453500777389462_n.jpg

20157784_893450957499341_3810843722162727164_o.jpg

14712831_689738281203944_4894439214485845945_o.jpg

lots of great food options in LA but Howlin' Rays easily makes my top 5 list. not sure how it would compare to authentic TN hot chicken but it's damn good. something magical about hot chicken.

do you like hot chicken?

LordCBH

Mmmmm. I love me some hot chicken. Prince’s Hot Chicken da GOAT. But Pepperfire, Helen’s, Party Fowl, Hattie B’s mmmmm. Can’t go wrong. Unless you get Boltons. That shit not that good. But Boltons hot fish is excellent.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sure. The hotter the better.

Also, make it yourself. Guaranteed to be better than any shit you get from a fast food place.

Sure. The hotter the better.

Also, make it yourself. Guaranteed to be better than any shit you get from a fast food place.
Howlin' Rays isn't fast food tho

I love cooking but I hate frying shit. I fry food maybe 3-4 times a year because of what a huge PITA it is

I still don't know a way to get rid of the oil that isn't either a dick move or a huge PITA

Aesius

Mmmmm. I love me some hot chicken. Prince’s Hot Chicken da GOAT. But Pepperfire, Helen’s, Party Fowl, Hattie B’s mmmmm. Can’t go wrong. Unless you get Boltons. That shit not that good. But Boltons hot fish is excellent.
I take it you live in Nashville?

AJUMP23

I love it, and will eat a hot chicken sandwich and make a mess with it anytime. Put some blue cheese on it.

I just watched that episode a couple days ago

I'm rewatching all of Seinfeld. show gets better and better each rewatch if that's even possible.

edit: decided to give it a rewatch since it was in HD or something on Netflix. was previously watching on hulu. aspect ratio on netflix is still off but the episodes look really clean.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Yeah, love some hot chicken. It's gotten really popular in the past year or two. It used to be you had to go to Nashville to get some good hot chicken. Now I got a great hot chicken place right up the road from me. Hattie B's still my fav. Haven't been in Prince's yet though. I looked it up last time I was in Nashville and it was closed the day we tried to go. So disappointed.

AJUMP23

Big Shakes is great, but I cannot eat the hottest chicken they have. And if you can eat the bread that has been under the chicken that was soaked in the hot oil you are a better man than me. I have had my eyes water for 30 minutes after eating that bread. It is good though.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Good spicy chicken is better than any other combination of meat and flavoring that I can think of.

Don't get me wrong I love a good barbecue beef or a good teriyaki shrimp, but there is just something about some spicy chicken that just gets me going in the deepest fattest parts of my heart.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Howlin' Rays isn't fast food tho

I love cooking but I hate frying shit. I fry food maybe 3-4 times a year because of what a huge PITA it is

I still don't know a way to get rid of the oil that isn't either a dick move or a huge PITA

Frying food can be a hassle, especially if your using the deep fat frying and have a load of oil to dispose of. Are there companies in the US who can dispose of this for you, or maybe a recycling centre that can dispose it at?

Howlin' Rays. Never heard of it until now and just looked it up. Although it seems to have a serious hipster vibe, the food looks pretty decent. I'd give it a go

SpiceRacz

People in LA hype up really mediocre food. I'll never understand why you guys wait hours in line for stuff like hot chicken when there's fucking Top Round. It's infinitely better than any hot chicken place in LA.

259830_original.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So..hot chicken is just spicy chicken?

Kind of. Proper down-south US "hot chicken" uses recipes that make it taste very different from other hot chicken dishes (someone else mention Korean, and that is a great example for comparison). It also comes in varieties that are far, far hotter than mere spicy chicken dishes of other kinds. I've had some hot chicken from South Carolina that would straight up make a person hallucinate if they didn't have some tolerance for spicy foods.

Thaedolus

I was feeling lazy the other night and didn’t want to make dinner, so I attempted some spicy chicken by shredding up some Costco chicken meat I had in the fridge (like the precooked ones you buy hot), throwing it in a pan to heat it up, adding some Mexican hot sauce, then melting some cheese over the top. Scooped that into some toasted bread with some mayo to make it properly based.

It was actually pretty good for a trash tier meal

Kind of. Proper down-south US "hot chicken" uses recipes that make it taste very different from other hot chicken dishes (someone else mention Korean, and that is a great example for comparison). It also comes in varieties that are far, far hotter than mere spicy chicken dishes of other kinds. I've had some hot chicken from South Carolina that would straight up make a person hallucinate if they didn't have some tolerance for spicy foods.

As a huge fan of anything spicy this intrigues me

Nobody_Important

I loved Fried Chicken sandwhiches, spicy or normal, but i detest cheese on fried chicken. And I love cheese as well.

Just not a combo for me.
Yeah I've never understood the desire some people have to put cheese on top of a really good fried chicken sandwich.

Same goes for pickles.

Last edited:

Romulus

The only time i went to prince's in Nashville was like 9 years ago. Some shitty parking lot half dirt/half holes in the asphalt. The inside had no AC and was full of hipsters. Outside had a line of probably 20 waiting outside sweating their balls off.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yeah I've never understood the desire some people have to put cheese on top of a really good fried chicken sandwich.

Same goes for pickles.

I used to hate pickles but now I like them if they are crunchy and salty. But I still don't put them on sandwiches

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The only time i went to prince's in Nashville was like 9 years ago. Some shitty parking lot half dirt/half holes in the asphalt. The inside had no AC and was full of hipsters. Outside had a line of probably 20 waiting outside sweating their balls off.

So was it good or not?

wellwerewaiting.gif

Pejo

I like the smell and the color of "hot" chicken, but it is always so bland from the places I've had it (KFC and a local wing place). Like it's a little spicy, but all that delicious aroma ends up not having any flavor.

I'll stick to hot garlic or spicy thai, the thinking man's choice.

31tw-ccqYVL.jpg

Nobody_Important

Important or unimportant, Nobody has a superior opinion to mine. I think most people know Pickles should be on a Hot sandwich, as they tend to come standard.
And tomatoes come standard on burgers. You gonna tell me tomatoes belong on burgers?

The insanity.

Nobody_Important

I like them on a burger., with Cheese. I think A tomato slice is good, avocado is right out though.
Yeah I don't get the whole "avocado on everything" craze. It goes well with chips and some Mexican food, but that's it. I don't want it on my breakfast toast or my cheeseburger.

Top Bottom