• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston Police Department has an Unmanned Drone Copters -- Weapons Capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Link

CONROE, Texas -- A Houston area law enforcement agency is prepared to launch an unmanned drone that could someday carry weapons, Local 2 Investigates reported Friday.

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in Conroe paid $300,000 in federal homeland security grant money and Friday it received the ShadowHawk unmanned helicopter made by Vanguard Defense Industries of Spring.

A laptop computer is used to control the 50-pound unmanned chopper, and a game-like console is used to aim and zoom a powerful camera and infrared heat-seeking device mounted on the front.

"To be in on the ground floor of this is pretty exciting for us here in Montgomery County," Sheriff Tommy Gage said.

He said the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) could be used in hunting criminals who are running from police or assessing a scene where SWAT team officers are facing an active shooter.
Gage said it will also be deployed for criminal investigations such as drug shipments.
"We're not going to use it to be invading somebody's privacy. It'll be used for situations we have with criminals," Gage said.

It could have been used to help firefighters in the recent tri-county wildfires, he said, and it also could be handy in future scenarios like a recent search for a missing college student in The Woodlands.

In 2007, Local 2 Investigates uncovered a secret Houston Police Department test of a different kind of drone, fueling a nationwide debate over civil liberties and privacy.
A constitutional law professor and other civil liberties watchdogs told Local 2 Investigates that questions about police searches without warrants would crop up, as well as police spying into back yards or other private areas.

HPD fueled that 2007 controversy even further by suggesting that drones could be used for writing speeding tickets.

The backlash prompted Mayor Annise Parker to scrap HPD's plans for using drones when she took office.

Gage said he is aware of those concerns.

"No matter what we do in law enforcement, somebody's going to question it, but we're going to do the right thing, and I can assure you of that," he said.

He said two deputies are finishing their training and should be ready to fly police missions within the next month.

Tapped to operate the Montgomery County Sheriff's helicopter UAV are Sgt. Melvin Franklin, a licensed pilot, and Lt. Damon Hall, who heads the department's crime lab and crime scene unit. The sheriff said Hall's SWAT team background will assist the department in using the new tool on hostage standoffs or active shooter events.

The ShadowHawk chopper was displayed on a small conference room table as it was unveiled Friday. It displayed a sheriff's logo and flashing blue lights on the side. On the front of the chopper, a grapefruit sized back unit houses the camera and Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) sensor that can detect heat from a gun or a suspect's body.

Deputies said they can quickly switch between day and night vision on the camera, which is zoomed and moved from side to side by a game-like console inside a police command vehicle on the ground.

The display shows up on a small TV-like box, while the actual flight controls are handled from a laptop computer.

Michael Buscher, chief executive officer of manufacturer Vanguard Defense Industries, said this is the first local law enforcement agency to buy one of his units.

He said they are designed to carry weapons for local law enforcement.

"The aircraft has the capability to have a number of different systems on board. Mostly, for law enforcement, we focus on what we call less lethal systems," he said, including Tazers that can send a jolt to a criminal on the ground or a gun that fires bean bags known as a "stun baton."
"You have a stun baton where you can actually engage somebody at altitude with the aircraft. A stun baton would essentially disable a suspect," he said.

Gage said he has no immediate plans to outfit his drone with weapons, and he also ruled out using the chopper for catching speeders.

"We're not going to use it for that," he said.

Chief Deputy Randy McDaniel said, "I'm tickled to death" about using the drone, pointing out that in his years of police work he could imagine countless incidents having ended more quickly and easily.

"It's so simple in its design and the objectives, you just wonder why anyone would choose not to have it," said McDaniel.

At the same time Houston police were testing a different drone, the Miami-Dade Metro Police department was also taking test flights of a helicopter UAV, and the Federal Aviation Administration said that department is now using its drone for local police work.

The San Diego Police Department also made local headlines in 2008 for beginning its own flights with a fixed-wing UAV.

Gage said he would take every concern into account as his UAV is deployed.
The only routine law enforcement flights inside the United States over the past four years have been the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Their border flights over Texas and Arizona have included one crash, where the drone lost its link to the ground controller.

Is this seriously real life? The Federal Government is paying for local police departments to have unmanned drone helicopters that could be outfitted with fucking weapons?

Jesus Christ. Why is this something the federal government needs to pay for, and why do local police departments need it?

jchap

The police have had choppers for decades (Which could have been outfitted with weapons). What is wrong with having an unmanned one? Less risk to life, not as difficult to train personnel, etc. Non lethal, directed energy technologies are the future. They are safer for the enforcers and the criminals.

HeySeuss

I see no issues with this other than putting potential pilots out of a job. The only reason its weapons capable is if the government needed to borrow it.

Barrett2

jchap said:
The police have had chopper for decades (Which could have been outfitted with weapons). What is wrong with having an unmanned one? Less risk to life, not as difficult to train personnel, etc.

Local police departments have had small, unmanned drone attack choppers for decades controllable with a PS2 controller?

Casp0r

Banned
lawblob said:
Link

Is this seriously real life? The Federal Government is paying for local police departments to have unmanned drone helicopters that could be outfitted with fucking weapons?

Jesus Christ. Why is this something the federal government needs to pay for, and why do local police departments need it?

You could retro fit a car to carry weapons ... OMFG THE POLICE STILL HAVE CARS.

Grow up.

Orayn

Previous said:
What about escalation? Soon the criminal scum might have their own unmanned choppers.
I'll enroll in a police academy as soon as powered armor becomes involved.

Barrett2

Casp0r said:
You could retro fit a car to carry weapons ... OMFG THE POLICE STILL HAVE CARS.

Grow up.

I need to "grow up" because I don't think the federal government should be paying for local police departments to have unmanned attack copters?

Analogies, how do they work?

Pastry

Banned
lawblob said:
I need to "grow up" because I don't think the federal government should be paying for local police departments to have unmanned attack copters?

Analogies, how do they work?
An unmanned helicopter that could possibly have weapons put on it at some unknown hypothetical point in the future is not nearly as dramatic as you are making it out to be.

Oppo

Fascinating. And yeah I'm with lawblob, it's a bit unnerving.

It's not the same as police helicopters. These things are much, much smaller and quieter. And the idea of ANY robot moving around, even a piloted one, with guns on it is something that should raise concern.

I foresee a future of political protests and mass gatherings that will be swarming with these things from both sides: not just police flying drones, but protester-designed and built flying drones taking photographs and uploading footage directly to the internet.

The first time we see a protester-controlled flying drone, the cops will totally freak out. They think they have this big advantage but all it will do is inspire more advanced crowdsourced designs.

TheMan

PortTwo said:
Fascinating. And yeah I'm with lawblob, it's a bit unnerving.

It's not the same as police helicopters. These things are much, much smaller and quieter. And the idea of ANY robot moving around, even a piloted one, with guns on it is something that should raise concern.

I foresee a future of political protests and mass gatherings that will be swarming with these things from both sides: not just police flying drones, but protester-designed and built flying drones taking photographs and uploading footage directly to the internet.

The first time we see a protester-controlled flying drone, the cops will totally freak out. They think they have this big advantage but all it will do is inspire more advanced crowdsourced designs.

I'd be concerned if the armed drones were being used in a way that differs from how helicopters manned with armed officers are used now. However, if they are just replacing one with the other to do exactly what they're doing now, what difference does it make?

eznark

Banned
lawblob said:
Link

You have a better way to assassinate US citizens?

Barrett2

TheMan said:
I'd be concerned if the armed drones were being used in a way that differs from how helicopters manned with armed officers are used now. However, if they are just replacing one with the other to do exactly what they're doing now, what difference does it make?
I think a realistic outcome would be outfitting them with non-lethal, anti riot weapons.

Mostly I just find it horrifying that in the post 9/11 world, society has so readily accepted militarized police forces that the article only says that vague 'privacy' concerns are the issue? really? The issue isn't whether we should allow police departments to have and use this equipment in the first place?

lawblob said:
I think a realistic outcome would be outfitting them with non-lethal, anti riot weapons.

Mostly I just find it horrifying that in the post 9/11 world, society has so readily accepted militarized police forces that the article only says that vague 'privacy' concerns are the issue? really? The issue isn't whether we should allow police departments to have and use this equipment in the first place?
I completely agree with you. Unmanned drones should be reserved for federal agencies and the military. Local PDs are incompetent enough as it is.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The future is now!

oPayv.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
lawblob said:
Local police departments have had small, unmanned drone attack choppers for decades controllable with a PS2 controller?

I think his point is that they have had helicopters forever so why the outrage about this? It will do the same thing as a chopper for cheaper and seems more effectively.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I feel safer. That's all that counts.

With an increase in militarization of your local police force? Really? Is there any study to suggest this actually increases safety?

Anything that removes risks from cops and disincentivizes non-forceful measures is not something that makes me feel safer.

Zenith

Banned
*shrug* the weapons bit is a misnomer. Plenty of police depts have helicopters that are the same model as armed military ones and could be easily retrofitted.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fucking scary. With how incompetent and corrupt some police departments are, lets give them flying robots that are weapons capable.

I feel safer. That's all that counts.

LIPhS.gif
;)

happyfunball said:
With an increase in militarization of your local police force? Really? Is there any study to suggest this actually increases safety?

Anything that removes risks from cops and disincentivizes non-forceful measures is not something that makes me feel safer.
Fear of a mechanized police force is not a natural or healthy fear. We're never going back to a Mayberry style police force so get over it. Personally, I'd rather have robots on land and in the air than boots on the ground. I'll sleep better at night and I'm bewildered by you guys who see this as a threat to your livelihoods. What are you up to that you have fear of those metal flying creatures from above?

sans_pants

avec_pénis
i figured police depts had drones way before this. i saw a lockheed martin commercial on tv once that clearly had no customers besides local police forces

They probably really need them. Houston is a shithole from what I hear. (Sorry, Houstonites. I live near a shithole city too, it's OK.)

Fear of a mechanized police force is not a natural or healthy fear. We're never going back to a Mayberry style police force so get over it. Personally, I'd rather have robots on land and in the air than boots on the ground. I'll sleep better at night and I'm bewildered by you guys who see this as a threat to your livelihoods. What are you up to that you have fear of those metal flying creatures from above?

in a state that is increasingly invasive and where many rights are only superficially adhered to? where surveillance and ominous presence of the police is taken for granted now?

uh, yeah i fear a more militarized police force, you should if you actually give one shit about democracy or the rule of law.

kevm3

Yeah because we know that authorities never have abused their power and never will in the future.

kevm3

TSA checkpoints, drones flying overhead, constant surveillance... What is this, Afghanistan? Or some old style communist country?

kevm3 said:
Yeah because we know that authorities never have abused their power and never will in the future.
I seriously doubt that anyone here, with the exception of elrechazao, of course, has had their family or friends taken out by a police droid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kehs

Banned
People don't have a problem with police remote control copter having weapons?

Really?

Like, for serious?

Leave that shit to specialized divisions like SWAT, fuck.

Chuck said:
That's a scary thought. The militarization of police forces is something that I'm strongly opposed to.

Earlier this year I posted this thread:

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

110306-ArmoredTankTWOPhoto-hmed-0115p.grid-6x2.jpg

The other reason for its popularity? Thanks to the U.S. government, most police departments now get their BearCats free.

In the wake of Sept. 11, Congress and Presidents Bush and Obama dramatically boosted Homeland Security spending; the Department of Homeland Security now hands out more than $3 billion a year in grants to boost anti-terrorism tools around the country.
The Lenco BearCat — which starts at about $190,000 and can top $300,000 with options — can easily qualify as a necessary tool under several different grant programs, from disaster response to crime fighting.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It doesn't have weapons, though. It could possibly carry weapons in the future.

I also find it odd that it's cool for thousands of cops to walk around with lethal weapons on their person at all times, but one unmanned drone with a camera on it is what makes you nervous. Okay, dude.

Stop being afraid of technology.

Slavik81

An unmanned air vehicle is not much different from a manned air vehicle. The only real difference is that for an unmanned vehicle, the pilot is on the ground watching through a video feed, rather than in the vehicle.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Guys, really, none of you have said why this is militarization, and a regular helicopter is not. You're knee jerk reacting to technology, you've watched terminator too many times and are getting old.

This is one flying non-weaponized robot, get a grip.

Jenga

Banned
what's that?! police tech is evolving? oh god oh the humanity

venne said:
I'd be more concerned with the privacy implications than the weapons issue.
this ain't the UK, it's not gonna be a big privacy issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom