• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How corporate culture could hold MS output back despite studio acquisitions.

Scotty W

I would like to preface this thread by saying I absolutely love Halo and some other XBox only games. My most anticipated title currently is Halo Infinite, above Cyberpunk 2077.

With that out of the way, let's begin.

I was disappointed and rather worried by recent Xbox showcase of next gen games. It failed to get me excited. Its almost like nobody at MS is taking care of what is going out under there brand name. I am not writing those games off, but just that it wasn't 'next gen showcase' I hoped it would be.

Now let's see how Sony and Nintendo work or have worked in past. I remember being awestruck at how much 'power' Shu Yoshida commanded in PS3 era. He basically sat with Demon's Souls for 3-4 hours, found he was making no progress. Decided it was 'unbelievably bad game' and couldn't be released overseas. All on personal capacity. And when asked in a later interview, he simply said "we dropped the ball". All this without any implications on his career.

Similar with Nintendo. I haven't read any candid interview with Miyamoto or any Nintendo execs (Shu is a legend), but they do have more of a Mentor like positions. People who actually play games and know what is fun, decide which game moves forward.

Now compare this with MS. I have worked a bit in software industry (not MS or games industry). And it appears from outside they have similar culture. Nobody is willing or capable to take personal responsibility. That's why they seem incapable of filtering out filler stuff. Sure they have made awesome stuff in the past. In hindsight I wonder how much of it was MS and how much was companies that made them.

But not all is doom and gloom. We have lord Phil and shit ton of new studio purchases. I would like to see them make sure a few things.

First, Lord Phil must make sure their games are fun. And polished. Not to repeat Crackdown 3 like mistakes. Make sure everything coming out of Microsoft game studios is top quality. Make it a personal persuit.

Secondly, with game pass, aim for 'HBO quality' rather than 'Netflix quality' or 'Disney Star Wars' quality. Due to rise of streaming services not enough ingestion time is given to any TV show and it clearly shows. They are made in a hurry instead of painstakingly detailed way.

That's about it. Thanks for reading if you reached this far.
You have not expressed your point clearly. Think clearly of what you want to say. You jump from subject to subject without developing a clear thesis, and then end with a few vague suggestions. Please try again.

Arachnid

You have not expressed your point clearly. Think clearly of what you want to say. You jump from subject to subject without developing a clear thesis, and then end with a few vague suggestions. Please try again.
Was that a joke? If so, my mistake.

If not, his point is pretty clearly stated, both in the title and in that post. He believes there is no quality control for exclusives and that corporate culture may be to blame. The suggestions at the end are vague though.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I disagree. In fact, Microsoft has been very generous with the checkbook and support for Xbox. I just don't see it happening. Sounds like a lot wishful thinking from my point of view.

Vitter.

I would bring new faces for marketing and only keep Phil were he is. The other people we get to see during presentations don't connect imo.
I would have changed course in a very strong way from Xbox One, not make it look like an extension of that, im speaking of branding and marketing.

Originally, I hoped for a real shift when Spencer got the role.. and don't get me wrong, for services he brought it, still a generation has passed and seems odd how long it takes for them to bring games and fresh ip into reality(I know it's hard but not even a single game in a gen sounds like a long time, or at least a very relevant refresh of a known ip), too much time not focusing on first party made this an apparent issue, when it's a clear strong point for Sony and Nintendo. Good news started to come when they got all this first party studios now, and the reveal has to go ALL OUT in July, last train to relevancy.
If you are no fanboy you know that right now there is no best combo than PS4 and Switch and have gamepass on PC, im still waiting for reasons to ¨Jump in¨, and I would really LOVE to get ALL consoles from the big three but seriously this gen they did not give me one reason to do so.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Was that a joke? If so, my mistake.

If not, his point is pretty clearly stated, both in the title and in that post. He believes there is no quality control for exclusives and that corporate culture may be to blame. The suggestions at the end are vague though.

No joke. I made a thread recently about the management of different companies, and so I came to this thread looking for some insight. Everything important to be said was said in your sentence: they have no quality control. But that is not so easy to pick up, as he mentions Nintendo and Sony, without developing this line of thought, and without showing any understanding of MS’s corporate structure and the reasons that leads to certain failings.

It's ok OP, MS/Xbox is just riding a low so they can go for the most improved award come July-Dec. Seriously they've hit so many homeruns in the last year let us not take one reveal event as the headliner for the rest of the year. There's going to be some amazing games from Sony/Xbox this year, Ninty always has some cycles but they're riding high too. It's a pretty damned impressive gaming era so relax you'll get your wow factor soon enough. The big take away from the 3rd party reveals was a solid number of games releasing in tough times and there was quite a diverse line up there too.

Havoc2049

Didn't realize...I thought Xbox players loved the series....
Gears isn’t what it used to be. I personally think Gears 5 is the worst in the series. The multiplayer in Gears just feels stale as well. Sea of Thieves currently has a larger mind share in the Xbox community. People outside of the Xbox community love to dis Sea of Thieves, but it’s one of Microsoft’s biggest hits this gen and has a large user base. Rare has knocked it out of the park with all the great expansions for Sea of Thieves. The last Live chart I looked at, more people are playing Sea of Thieves than they are Gears. Gears also just came out with an expansion, but it seems like not that many people care.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, while Greenberg as usual overhyped the Inside Xbox showcase and Ubisoft deciding to not show gameplay for whatever reason, the show itself was still good. Gave me two games (Bright Memory Infinite and The Ascent) that are 100% guaranteed day one and three games (Scorn, Second Extinction and The Medium) that im interested in but have to see more.

If anything, Spencer needs to tell Greenberg to just shutup and stop overhyping every showcase. Better to under promise and over deliver than over promise and under deliver.

As for their first party studios, im not worried whatsoever. I haven't been this hyped for Xbox since Gears 3 in 2011. I already have Gears Tactics, Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 guaranteed day one for me plus after their July showcase, I could be adding a few more games.

Have you even played Forza? Why do you think GTS is better?
I played Forza, but come on guys, 2D public...empty pitboxes....les details as GTS....a lot of compromises to run at 60fps?
I better can ask, did you guys played GTS? Cous GTS takes the crown....i mean an official worldwide championship in cooperation with the FIA?? Forza is not on the same level.😉

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I played Forza, but come on guys, 2D public...empty pitboxes....les details as GTS....a lot of compromises to run at 60fps?
I better can ask, did you guys played GTS? Cous GTS takes the crown....i mean an official worldwide championship in cooperation with the FIA?? Forza is not on the same level.😉
Oh you play racing games for visuals and stuff around the racing track. Better that you play driveclub then. Forza is for people that do it for the racing, which is by far better than GTS.

Top Bottom