• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did The Adventures of Batman & Robin achieve the "Impossible" on SEGA Genesis?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I explain how "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" had possibly the most coding tricks of any 16-bit game.

Thanks mods for the title change

Happy So Excited GIF by Sherlock Gnomes

Last edited:
I know this is the Traveler's Tales guy, and he has some good looking effects in his Genesis portfolio.

That said, his flippancy here about AoBaR is lame. Sure, all Genesis graphical effects are ultimately going to be one of a handful of techniques such as line scrolling, scaling, interrupts, etc. If it was so easy, more games would look and play like AoBaR. They don't. Even Traveler's Tales games.

The point is how are those simple hardwarw techniques combined with art, gameplay, and the logic of the scene? AoBaR has a huge range of set pieces that combine these three things with those basic hardware tricks to create impressive moments.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I know this is the Traveler's Tales guy, and he has some good looking effects in his Genesis portfolio.

That said, his flippancy here about AoBaR is lame. Sure, all Genesis graphical effects are ultimately going to be one of a handful of techniques such as line scrolling, scaling, interrupts, etc. If it was so easy, more games would look and play like AoBaR. They don't. Even Traveler's Tales games.

The point is how are those simple hardwarw techniques combined with art, gameplay, and the logic of the scene? AoBaR has a huge range of set pieces that combine these three things with those basic hardware tricks to create impressive moments.
But they gameplay isn’t that great. 🤷‍♂️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
im tired of people saying that a game is bad only because they are bad at playing it
The game resembled a space shooter too. But had comic book skins.

The game levels went on forever mindlessly shooting enemies with batarangs. And in the air levels was the same thing but your in a batplane.

Last edited:
I think it's just how he talks in general, if he has an idea of how something is done then it's "Easy" and "Simple" which of course to most is not otherwise there would be more games on the systems using such advanced tricks.
Nah, he is not that bad in the videos about his games, I found his very dismissive in this one specifically, like it's easy I have done it before (even if they do 4 times as much as he does).

I think he is just bored because the tricks on the 16-bit systems are pretty much a mix and match of more or less the game stuff all the time (the implementations aren't all as good, and some programmers were not as good as others to work around the limitations of these systems... but still)... this or he is insulted because a lot of people consider this Batman & Robin game to be the most "advanced" Sega Genesis cart game (which seems fair).

At this point there is an unofficial canon of S-Tier effects-driven Genesis games like AoBaR, Ranger-X, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps etc and the Traveler's Tales games (while worth playing) are not in that tier. They clearly used the same techniques (Toy Story, Mickey Mania) but not with the same impact.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
The game resembled a space shooter too. But had comic book skins.

The game levels went on forever mindlessly shooting enemies with batarangs. And in the air levels was the same thing but your in a batplane.
its a run & gun man, what do you expect?

It mixes run & gun with beat em up mechanics, some levels are long, but thats why is difficult, plus the batarang system.

Its like if i said "sunsetriders is always the same, shotting bad guys all day, and in bonus stages, the same but with a different camera perspective"

But that opinion would be silly.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Can somebody post the gist? I don't really want to watch some random YouTube video.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
At this point there is an unofficial canon of S-Tier effects-driven Genesis games like AoBaR, Ranger-X, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps etc and the Traveler's Tales games (while worth playing) are not in that tier. They clearly used the same techniques (Toy Story, Mickey Mania) but not with the same impact.
Alien soldier from treasure is more advanced than gunstar heroes. But gunstar heroes is more remembered.

For me alien soldier is the better game.

sn0man

Can somebody post the gist? I don't really want to watch some random YouTube video.
Visual effects that involve skewing, swapping, and selective rendering of images create perspective effects.

I know that was a shitty explanation but watching the video while it is explained is way more enjoyable.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Visual effects that involve skewing, swapping, and selective rendering of images create perspective effects.

I know that was a shitty explanation but watching the video while it is explained is way more enjoyable.
That's actually pretty good

Back in the day devs took milk from a rock. Nowadays is way too much stuff to do, so they skip creative solutions and go straight to cut or launch a half ass thing

Top Bottom