• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does the Activision deal affect Nintendos?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Switch gets no AAA third party support anyway now they gets a 10 year deal for COD

How does this affect Nintendos in the longs run my friends?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
20vipleteraz.jpg

Lasha

Nintendo could benefit if it releases a remotely powerful switch2 with guaranteed COD support. Otherwise the deal is not a big deal for the company.

Nothing. Nintendo's biggest appeal is their first party titles. You don't buy a Switch to play CoD. And gaming doesn't revolve around CoD.

Ecotic

If Sony decides they need do an acquisition like Square-Enix or Capcom then it can affect Nintendo. I've seen Nintendo Directs sometimes that seemed to be mostly Square-Enix's AA lineup.

I'd suggest Nintendo needs to suspend dividend payments and balloon their cash reserves so they can defend themselves strategically if Sony goes that route. Though I've long felt Nintendo needed to do that anyway since they're a company that can go from feast (Wii) to famine (Wii U), and extra cash reserves can see them through to better times.

Sometimes just a statement from a company that they'd put in a competing offer is enough to persuade the competition to go another route, since it would mean the premium over market value to acquire a company wouldn't be worth it anymore.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If Sony decides they need do an acquisition like Square-Enix or Capcom then it can affect Nintendo. I've seen Nintendo Directs sometimes that seemed to be mostly Square-Enix's AA lineup.

I'd suggest Nintendo needs to suspend dividend payments and balloon their cash reserves so they can defend themselves strategically if Sony goes that route. Though I've long felt Nintendo needed to do that anyway since they're a company that can go from feast (Wii) to famine (Wii U), and extra cash reserves can see them through to better times.

Sometimes just a statement from a company that they'd put in a competing offer is enough to persuade the competition to go another route, since it would mean the premium over market value to acquire a company wouldn't be worth it anymore.
Capcom only gives Switch old games cepts for MonHun which is multiplats Square gives them niches rpgs likes octopath its not a big difference my friends but lets hooope nobody buys Capcom that will ruin the greatest third parties of all times

Lasha

Nintendo has around the same amount of cash on hand as the entirety of Sony. Money isn't an issue. Nintendo's focus on first party development and its own IP hold back major acquisitions

Zannegan

I mean, it'll look nice in the sizzle real and might convince a few to pick Switch 2 up for portable CoD, but I doubt there will be an appreciable impact short term. I think it's more a boon to Nintendo players than to Nintendo themselves. Can't hurt though.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Barely something imo... The problem with AAA third parties and Nintendo is not the hardware performance, it's the audience, that's why you'll keep seeing JRPGs and Indies sell more on Nintendo than AAA even when they start releasing day one too.

Indies, JRPGs and other gameplay heave games are more in line with Nintendo audience tastes so COD or not, they could sell well but will still be behind PS/Xbox despite Switch or next Switch being the best selling console ever when they release them.

That said, COD and any online game is very gameplay focused so maybe there's a chance it shines there too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The amount of people on this forum who are convinced Microsoft signed binding contracts to just get a deal through....

Wow, COD will be on Nintendo next platform. There's no way MS goes back on this stuff.

One thing Phil Spencer got right was the fact that gamers are psychopaths and going back on something that has been said publicly so many times would kill the brand.

He's right. MS will stick to their agreements and cod will come to all the platforms they've said it will.

SHA

How does Nintendo affects Activision deal? Parity or making an enhanced mobile version of the same game.

Last edited:

Kikorin

Since CoD started to exist, it has been on every Nintendo console ever released (even Wii U), so the series skipping Switch was the exception. If the next Nintendo console will have CoD will just be the norm, nothing surprising honestly.

Soodanim

According to all those internal documents MS doesn't consider Nintendo part of the console race (they're not really wrong), so that will be in Nintendo's and Activision's favour.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

no im serious.

Majority of people is not going to play COD on switch, thats stupid.
thats like playing apex on switch

Switch gets no AAA third party support anyway now they gets a 10 year deal for COD

How does this affect Nintendos in the longs run my friends?
Well they presumably get COD which is pretty big, anyway the deal hasn't gone through yet something may well stop it again?

TDiddyLive

No more games like Spyro and Crash trilogies, Crash 4, CTR, THPS1&2.

Shitty gimped port of CoD that runs as well as Apex Legends does on Switch.
Microsoft has historically been friendly with Nintendo. Just look at the Minecraft/Super Mario collaboration or Minecraft characters and Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Bros. The games you listed aren’t exactly system sellers so no reason for them not to release those types of games on Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom