• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how is fallout 4 these days?

johntown

Banned
This ruins the core gameplay loop. At that point why not just mods to give you infinite resources in your base?
That depends how you play. If you don't care about settlement building and want to play through the story and explore the world then the mod helps. Personally, I don't care about junk and building settlments and preferred how the older games didn't have a heavy focus on junk.

Settlement building is like an entire game in itself. I know one guy who didn't even play the story and only built his settlements.

Oppoi

Well see Fallout 76 and add gamepass... :S As for Fallout 4, enjoy it as it is I guess? It was a great game at least. Sad thing to come for that frachise.

Last edited:

Redefine07

Yea I want to start playin' it also got in on One X for 9$ GOTY edition. Never played a fallout game xD I'm not into "SF" RPGs only ones I rly enjoy was Mass Effect and KOTOR 1/2.

Bankai

It's a fantastic game, I loved it! Though.. don't expect anything different than Fallout 3. It's basically more of that, with a few quality of life improvements.
I platinum'd it on PS4 and it was an awesome ride.

Grinchy

Banned
You have to play it on Survival.

The tension that comes from only being able to save at beds helps make it so much more rewarding to play. You also end up having to actually care about getting your settlement going for a water/food source and the meds start to actually matter.

When you face legendary enemies on that difficulty, you have to junkie yourself up to stand a chance. It's just a way better game, and strangely enough, feels like the formula they wanted to put out at launch.

Kev Kev

Ignore the story and just focus on base building, leveling, weapon upgrading and collecting rare items.

i couldn’t care less about the story, but the game play loop of quest, turn in, upgrade is so much fun in that game.It’s definitely one of my GOATs of last gen.

I think the big difference for me is I did not play the game at launch when it had all its problems. I played it years later where it had been patched and fixed, but it was far too late at that point, every one made up their minds that it sucked and never went back, and if it was really that bad then you can’t blame them. Not to mention the whole gaming community has a hate boner for bethesda atm, but again, can you blame them?

but I never experienced the problems everyone else did so I guess I’m just lucky. The game is immersive, addicting and super fun imo

Last edited:

scydrex

Fallout 4 has a bad story. The loading sucks, the LOD sucks more, data streaming sucks. The game look like to me a PS3 game. Without mods is awful... i played it this year for the first time without mods first. Brought it for $20 with all the DLC. Also don't forget about the bugs like all the Bethesda games.

Strategize

Its alright, that dialogue system really is just the dirt worst though. The quests are just bad the most part. So unless you really like exploring and building shit...

The dialogue trees and shit are bad but the story is fine, much better than Fallout 3's, the problem is how it handles multiple factions, it's hard to tell when you're too far with one or another and it can cause some weird ass crap to happen. There are guides for navigating when to do what with each faction because of it, and it's not like New Vegas where you always have a pretty good idea of why one faction would be upset with you or not, though even New Vegas has some weird aspects but in that game's case a lot of it can be forgiven due to the time constraints Bethesda put on Obsidian, they still made the best RPG ever in 18 months with an ungodly number of quests. Fallout 4 is a great follow up to 3 that mostly improves things, but New Vegas soured most people's view of it. I still see people comparing it to 3 and saying 3 is better, I used to even believe it, my time with 3 was tons of fun in 2008, but it DOES NOT hold up, especially compared to New Vegas.

MayauMiao

I enjoyed Fallout 4 especially with building settlements. I must have played it like 3 or 4 times on PS4, all reaching above level 100. Didn't care much for the plot, had so much fun levelling up and starting settlements everywhere.

I've never played this game with less than 20 mods, so I can't say how good vanilla is. If you're willing to put some effort into modding it, you can basically turn it into any kind of game you want. I also got it on sale and it's been worth every penny. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Waaaaaaaaay worse than FAO3 and FNV.

Very lackluster.
Interesting to explore but dialogues are simple, so nothing can fix that.
its always so strange to me that so many people cared about the dialogue so much in this game. like, thats the most boring part lol

different strokes i guess. i always skip dialogue in games bc its all still pretty terribly acted and cringy. some games do alrite i guess... they just need to go back to no voice actors and save their time and money.just letting the player use their imagination, like we did for old school rpgs back in the day, thats an idea that i can get behind. but the dialogue and narrative options in fallout 4 (and 3 for that matter) is the least appealing, and i dare say, most boring aspect of the game. why did people care so much about that?

building cool bases, upgrading weapons and armor, establishing supply lines so you can easily build new bases in some really unique and cool locations (there are seriously cool bases out there, check out some youtube vids... and without mods, there still so much you can do), exploring, collecting items... thast where the fun is.

the dialogues is terrible, i agree with you. but thats not the fun stuff anyways. thats the shit you get through to get to the actual fun parts of the game. hell i wish theyd just chuck the story and shitty side quests all together. they are never very good in ANY video game. fuck all that, just stick to the gameplay loop.

GymWolf

giphy.gif

Ozrimandias

its always so strange to me that so many people cared about the dialogue so much in this game. like, thats the most boring part lol

different strokes i guess. i always skip dialogue in games bc its all still pretty terribly acted and cringy. some games do alrite i guess... they just need to go back to no voice actors and save their time and money.just letting the player use their imagination, like we did for old school rpgs back in the day, thats an idea that i can get behind. but the dialogue and narrative options in fallout 4 (and 3 for that matter) is the least appealing, and i dare say, most boring aspect of the game. why did people care so much about that?

building cool bases, upgrading weapons and armor, establishing supply lines so you can easily build new bases in some really unique and cool locations (there are seriously cool bases out there, check out some youtube vids... and without mods, there still so much you can do), exploring, collecting items... thast where the fun is.

the dialogues is terrible, i agree with you. but thats not the fun stuff anyways. thats the shit you get through to get to the actual fun parts of the game. hell i wish theyd just chuck the story and shitty side quests all together. they are never very good in ANY video game. fuck all that, just stick to the gameplay loop.

I dont like Fallout 4 compared to 3 and New vegas because.

- Cartoonish
- Poorly Dialogue tree

When you compare it with New Vegas, for example, you could really dig into something else via dialogues, in Fallout 4 it doesn't. You can argue, you can persuade, you can intimidate etc...... that layer and the relationship with different groups in the game add a flavor that Fallout 4 simply doesn't have.

Besides, the "tone" of the games...Fallout 3 and New Vegas are in fact, a thriller, Fallout 4 on the other hand is....Fortnite after the apocalypse

Still runs like ass a lot of the time, even on modern hardware. Stutters as you enter new cells, large frame drops in the city, etc. More and more mods every day, tho.

I just bought the game of the year edition on xbox. Looks and run great on xbox one X.

And they added voice overs to your character now? It still feels good tbh.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Fallout 4 is chill. nerds are nerds

$9 vanilla, $18 for GOTY

you're gonna get your money's worth dude unless you're like an unemployed hobo or something
I mean technically for you to enjoy most of the content from any edition you kind of have to be unemployed. Seems like that game took absolutely forever for me to "finish".

Pejo

- Cartoonish
- Poorly Dialogue tree

When you compare it with New Vegas, for example, you could really dig into something else via dialogues, in Fallout 4 it doesn't. You can argue, you can persuade, you can intimidate etc...... that layer and the relationship with different groups in the game add a flavor that Fallout 4 simply doesn't have.

Besides, the "tone" of the games...Fallout 3 and New Vegas are in fact, a thriller, Fallout 4 on the other hand is....Fortnite after the apocalypse
Agree with this. The tone of the game sucks and the dialogue wheel might as well not even be there. Your choices are "Yes, I'll do it" or "Let me think about it, but that means yes i'll do it" or "No (but actually yes I'll do it anyway)". The base building feature could have been cool but they put it fucking everywhere and there are no "grids" to snap your structures to, so it ends up looking like a total fucking mess unless you're meticulous about how you place things. They implemented everything about bases badly, in my opinion, but it permeates through the entire game so it's a pain to just constantly ignore it. Also, giving you access to power armor in the first 15 mins of the game is a huge mistake, because it took away any feeling of fun with it.

Anyways, I only made it about a total of 10 hours OP, whereas with 3 and NV I played over 60 each and did all the DLC. As usual with a Bethesda games, mods can fix things and make it better, but the core game is just honestly kinda shit this time around.

There are better "Fallout" games, New Vegas in particular. But if you've been there done that or just want something fresh, 4 is pretty good. You definitely have to mod it, and modding it is easier than ever now with Nexus.

4 has the best gunplay of the series and the graphics can be made to look very good. The DLC is some of the best content in the game IMO. Far Harbor especially is pretty damn good. I'll usually install it once a year, mod it, play for 15 hours or so and then delete it until new mods come out.

I'd also suggest playing it in Survival Mode, it gives a lot of purpose to to food/water/sleep system and really really adds to the immersion. Though, I'd suggest modding it so that you can at least save whenever you want.

Even if you have a passing interest, for the $20 or less for the whole game w/ DLC it's a pretty good package, not to mention Fallout 4: New Vegas will be coming eventually and you'll need FO4 anyways, not to mention FO4: Miami and FO4: Cascadia will eventually come out too.

I've only played vanilla version, I'd give it a 7/10
The story is boring and poorly written. The RPG elements count for nothing, think of it as an openworld shooter. The only non-linearity they give you is the choice to join one of the competing factions, but it's utterly insignificant and forgettable. I've had more fun exploring the post apocalyptic Boston than I did following the main quest, and in this regard you may get satisfied. Credit is where credit's due, the world is highly detailed and is well made. You always come across old abandoned factories, trashed shopping malls, run down settlements, train stations etc that don't look like carbon copies of one another. If you're expecting a large post apocalyptic theme park, you're in for a treat. If you want a fine tuned RPG, not so much.

Nimarus

Neo Member
That depends how you play. If you don't care about settlement building and want to play through the story and explore the world then the mod helps. Personally, I don't care about junk and building settlements and preferred how the older games didn't have a heavy focus on junk.

Settlement building is like an entire game in itself. I know one guy who didn't even play the story and only built his settlements.
And those who don't want to build Settlements can use the "Sim Settlements" mod. You're the General of the Minutemen, not their personal builder. Build your own home you lazy settlers!

Start building in a settlement, place the desk from the mod on the ground, and select a building plan. The settlers will build their homes, water sources, food sources, and even defenses on their own. The settlers will build everything they need over time and you don't have to lift a finger...unless you want to. This way, you can focus on building your own home and defenses and let the settlers build and maintain their own settlements.

I believe it's also available on Xbox as well.

SCB3

I enjoy this guys stuff and his Fallout runs are amazing, he just released this Video on it (there's 2 parts as well):

But from me, I just played a couple of hours of 4 on Xbox One X (I played through it on PC originally) and yea, still a great looking game and the world and atmosphere is still fantastic, shame the main story is not great, I hate that it kinda pushes you to find your son all the time when you wanna explore (something 76 does really well tbh)

I did however just rebuy NV, 76 and Mothership Zeta on Xbox, just to see what they look and play like on Series S/X

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Agree with this. The tone of the game sucks and the dialogue wheel might as well not even be there. Your choices are "Yes, I'll do it" or "Let me think about it, but that means yes i'll do it" or "No (but actually yes I'll do it anyway)". The base building feature could have been cool but they put it fucking everywhere and there are no "grids" to snap your structures to, so it ends up looking like a total fucking mess unless you're meticulous about how you place things. They implemented everything about bases badly, in my opinion, but it permeates through the entire game so it's a pain to just constantly ignore it. Also, giving you access to power armor in the first 15 mins of the game is a huge mistake, because it took away any feeling of fun with it.

Anyways, I only made it about a total of 10 hours OP, whereas with 3 and NV I played over 60 each and did all the DLC. As usual with a Bethesda games, mods can fix things and make it better, but the core game is just honestly kinda shit this time around.
I'm replaying Fallout 3, now I'm going for the 100%, all achievements, etc. (And finally visit Point Lookout), then probably finish New Vegas....it's been on my backlog a very long time, and a couple of days I started to play it, and his fame is very well deserved.

TheContact

Fallout 4 is a very fun game. Easily the worst part about the game is the dialogue system though and mods can’t really fix that. The best it can do it show you what your character actually says but choices are pretty meaningless regardless.

Kev Kev

- Cartoonish
- Poorly Dialogue tree

theres jus soooo much more exciting things about the game other than the dialogue. and, again, i argue that the story and dialogue are the most boring part to begin with. i dont know why so many are going into games like fallout 3 and 4 expecting amazing dialogue (or any video game for that matter). no one cares about that shit, the VA is always garbage in video games anyway, and the stories are usually shit tier too. all of that should be an after thought compared to everything else that actually makes the game addicting and fun to play.

just my opinion. i see what youre saying, but to each his own

Ozrimandias

theres jus soooo much more exciting things about the game other than the dialogue. and, again, i argue that the story and dialogue are the most boring part to begin with. i dont know why so many are going into games like fallout 3 and 4 expecting amazing dialogue (or any video game for that matter). no one cares about that shit, the VA is always garbage in video games anyway, and the stories are usually shit tier too. all of that should be an after thought compared to everything else that actually makes the game addicting and fun to play.

The most exciting thing in Fallout for me at least is its lore, it's the background.
When you hack the computers and realize how twisted it's the reality in the vaults, the wasteland etc.....that it's what I like the most, its substories, etc. And I think that getting involved in rich conversations with NPC more than "Yes", "No", "I'll do it" it's involving.

I'm giving you that the voice acting it's not superb, but I think that you can get more immersion in the story with rich dialogues.

Mildudon

Maybe just maybe because that the earlier games fallout 1 and 2 especially had all that. Good NPCs, good dialog etc. So when you call your games fallout and set in the fallout universe their is a certain set of expectation about what the game is about. It is a little funny/sad that for a CRPG that story is not that important. The ones that care are the ones that played the series from the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom