• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you keep your phones?

I actually calculated this a while back and worked it out that on average I kept my phone for ~16 months before replacing it.

The shortest amount of time I had a phone was 1 month before I got bored of it. Until I bought my current phone the longest I kept a single phone was exactly 2 years.

My current phone is now setting a record as I've had it for 2 years 7 months. I was going to sell it and get the new iPhone 15 when it launches later this year but honestly I don't see any good reason to replace it. My phone still works perfectly and apart from some minor scratches around the charging port it is in great condition because I've had it in a case with a screen protector since the day I got it. Battery health is at 88% and still gets me through the day but I have noticed I am charging it more often now. If it starts to bother me then I can get Apple to replace the battery.

My phone should get another 2 major OS updates (not including iOS 17 coming out this year).... I think. So really I won't replace my phone until it is no longer supported, it breaks, or I feel it's time for a new phone.

When I bought it I told myself I was going to keep it for 3+ years because I was tired of buying a new phone all the time. It was mid range phones I was buying and that's why I went with the iPhone 12 Pro Max which was the latest and greatest at the time. I didn't mind spending the money because I knew I'd keep it for a long time. What iPhone I get next I'll go for the highest end model again and keep it another 3+ years. I love new tech and was excited for new smartphones but I guess I got bored of them. Even for an idiot like me there is no reason to buy a new smartphone all the time anymore.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I use it until the phone becomes unuseable due to having hardware issues that's not worth the cost to repair.

Been on my mid range android phone for 3 years.

Happy I Love You GIF by Lifetime

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Upgrading just to upgrade might not be the move to make, I let apple retool their phones for a few years and if the opportunity is there I’ll upgrade.

Susurrus

I got my Pixel 4A (5G) back when it released Sep 2020 and don't intend to replace it soon.

Before that I had an Xperia XA2 which I had for several years. It still functions fine, I even booted it up recently to let my son use it to watch stuff on during an upcoming 15 hours of flying/direction. The problem I was having though is because the Xperia was a German one that I picked up from Media Markt when I lived there, and when I moved back to the US and got T-Mobile, the bands didn't line up very well and I had awful signal in most places. Dealt with it for a bit over a year, and when the Pixel 4A (5G) came out, it was enough reason for me to get a new phone, both to get on the appropriate bands, and to get 5G, so ordered via Best Buy.

Last edited:

Corian33

I have an iPhone 8 from 2017-18. Still works fine except usually need to recharge when I get home. Holding out for an iPhone 16 so I can double up the model number, but will probably give in before then.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Before, it was like 2 years. I think this time it'll be longer. I have the OnePlus 11... It's still amazing after all these months... This might be my first 4 year phone.

I’m usually on a 4 year plan. Currently rocking the 12pro max, had the 8 plus before this. There’s no incentive for me get a new phone every year, incremental upgrades and all that…

That said my charging port is fucked up because it got so much keif and plant juice in it while working at a grow during Covid. Nothing I’ve been able to do has gotten it back to 100% unless I use a wireless charger. Or I have to position the phone standing up so it helps press the lighting cable in, and even then it’s a gamble what % I’ll be at.

Shtef

Just take a small pin and remove the debris from the charging port, thats how i did it and it works fine.

Tams

I have a Sammy S22 Ultra and tbh I have absolutely no qualms with it, I love the S-pen, the screen, the cameras especially the 10x optical zoom, proper game changer so this one will do until the Folds hit a point where the tech and form factor don't cost the price of a new telly

Once they include a silo in the Fold (and ideally put their best cameras in it), then I'll jump on that ship again. Otherwise the 2019 Fold I have serves me very well. I didn't mind paying as much as a telly, as, frankly, I use a smartphone much more than a telly. And now that I have some display glasses (not AR despite what they market them as), I can use it even more.

Melon Husk

I think my next phone will be a foldable. Foldables are not quite "ready" yet, so it'll be some years before an upgrade.
edit: Current phone is 2 years old? 3? Switching to a new phone is always a hassle, I'm not into doing that too often.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

This thread inspired me to finally upgrade, I realized it had been six years since I got my last phone and it was far from top of the line back then. I just got another budget (under $300) Samsung and holy hell why did I hang on to that slow old piece of shit for so long. Performance is insanely better.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wife wanted a new phone so I bought her a 14 pro max, I’ve informed her that she will be keeping it for a long while…

Muffdraul

I guess about 3 years, maybe a little more. I got my first smartphone in 2014 and I got my third one a few months ago. Basically I hold on to them until the battery life really sucks ass, and by then the new models are enough of an improvement that upgrading makes more sense than replacing the battery.

Marlenus

Until it breaks and is uneconomical to repair. For my S8+ it was nearly 6 years. Hopefully my Motorola Edge 30 Ultra will last a similar amount of time.

Billbofet

I usually keep until there is a feature I find compelling enough to upgrade. Last time it was for a better camera, but I've had my Pixel 4a for three years now.
My daughter is buying an iPhone 13 or 14 in the coming weeks, so I'm sure that will infect me with the upgrade bug sooner than later.

Top Bottom