• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many failures will DICE be allowed to make before EA gets rid of them?

Yeah I actually agree with you on that. The fact that it has mostly negative reviews and is still somehow one of the top selling games on Steam right now is pretty odd.
The reviews on Steam also don't really show Battlefield justice as it's only a thumbs up or a thumbs down system. There is plenty of reasons to not recommend BF 2042 in it's current state but doesn't mean you still can't have fun with it.
This^ Odd...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Did OP buy Battlefield 2042 before knowing how bad it was?

The answer to that may help to answer his own question.

Stuart360

2042 is doing better than Halo Infinite on Steam, and that game is free.

They are fine, despite the bandwagon of "Battlefield is failure!".
I'd love to know what metric you are using to say that as Halo has been near doubling 2042's player count daily since launch. (right now its 30k vs 65k in favour ofHalo).

Edit. Beaten to it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Remember when people praises this game lack of single player mode back then when it was announced

Online only its gona be great they say
5vccm7.jpg

Yeah let's pretend it's the lack of a poor single player game that it sucks.

DICE ruined EA. Not the other way.

To stop riding the DICE train to hell is to admit a horrible, multi decade mistake. They couid have Burnout and Need for Speed getting Forza Horizon hype, top sports games in all categories, a functional Bioware. The Dead Space team. Talent fled this engine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Aren't EA and Dice kind of the same thing these days? Dice isn't like a regular studio that EA owns, they're intertwined with the organization. There's Frostbite, there's the head of Dice that became head of EA, etc.

winjer

Gold Member
Kind of weird comparing BF2042 player count to Halo Infinite which is F2P.

Yes, Halo doesn't have a barrier for entry.
But if the game was bad, gamers would abandon it and leave bad reviews.

BF 2042 is free on EA Pass. For people who already have it, it's there to try for free.
I bet a lot of people bought a month subscription just to try it without spending a lot of money.

Shut0wen

Was thinking this when bf2042 came out, currently all the best people that worked there have all left, bf2042 has had 4-3 development cycle, has less content then the previous games and has still came out worst, EA wont close them down purely for frostbite, but EA need to do something, maybe get vince campbell to sort them out lije he did with the LA studio

Skifi28

It's puzzling how every single new BF manages to break things that were already working in the previous entries (after months of fixing them). Do they make everything from scratch each time? It seems most of their development time is spent iterating on TTK.

Klik

As a huge BF fan i'm so tired and disappointed seeing game always trying to pursue mechanics of other games, now like like Apex/Warzone..

Battlefield has and always had its own identity and people play because this.

EA, how much money do you want from Battlefield? Were BF1 sales of 16million+microtransactions not enough? Cmon i bet if you make true Battelfield game with best game mechanics of BF4/BF5 it would sell like hot muffins

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It's puzzling how every single new BF manages to break things that were already working in the previous entries (after months of fixing them). Do they make everything from scratch each time? It seems most of their development time is spent iterating on TTK.

100% NAILED IT.

I was literally talking about this last night when my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike and I were playing the game. How the hell does Dice manage to fuck up every single BF launch when they've literally came off
another BF game that for the most part, they've patched up nicely?! BF 4 to BF1, BF1-BF 5 for example. Pretty much every single title from BF 4 to current has launched pretty roughly but Dice ends up fixing them
for a vast majority of players(every player is different so not everyone will agree but you know what I'm getting at).

Taken all of this development into consideration, Dice should be launching BF games that are freaking rock solid and feature complete and realize what works and doesn't work for the title as they iterate.
It's maddening. They piss the bed every damn time.

All this monumental shit show makes me believe the "conspiracy theory" that BF 2042 was going to be radically different from past BF titles and was going to move towards a "Apex Legends"/Pub G/Battle Royale type GAAS game. "Operators"(characters you can "unlock" in a GAAS style game), a hastily thrown together ranking system/UI, map design that doesn't feel like typical BF map flow/layouts for it's game types like Conquest, and so on just solidify my feelings on it. They obviously got called on it during development from "testers/influencers" or realized themselves that they'd have an EPIC backlash of loyal players and tank the entire I.P. if they went ahead with a full on GAAS Battlefield game. Something changed their minds(common sense?!) and they pivoted at the last moment and threw together what we're playing now.

If it's not that, then all I can say is Dice needs to put the H.R. PuffNStuff magic pipe down and get their heads on straight.

200.gif

Winter John

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of people praising BF4 and upholding it as some kind of standard. I reckon none of them played it when it launched because that thing was easily as bad as the new one is. If not worse. Constant freezes and crashing, bugs everywhere. Players hiding under maps or out of bounds. It took months to fix that thing. It had more content, better maps and customisation for sure but on a purely technical level it was probably a shit ton worse than 2042 is right now. They were still patching that thing a year after it was out.

Roufianos

DICE is utterly awful. Everyone blames big bad EA for everything, but DICE was given 3 years and five studios to work on this game and they shipped this disaster. They are completely inept.

Jeez, 3 years to come up with a few MP maps, no SP and no notable gameplay improvements besides bloated player counts and map sizes.

TVexperto

But hey, they are thinking about putting the "legacy feature" VOIP back in. Their communication is unbelievable arrogant.

Putting stuff back in, fixing bugs etc. – they make it sound like the shipped product is exactly what they wanted to achieve. That's a joke.

At my job it's called "finishing a product, before selling it"

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Here's the shakeup that was mentioned.
DICE's VP Oskar Gabrielson is leaving the studio:

(note: this Oskar Gabrielson)

Handling of the Battlefield franchise was moved away from DICE, and it's now under the control of Respawn's Vince Zampella. Halo designer Marcus Lehto is now hiring a new studio that will focus on making story content for future Battlefield titles, or perhaps even on time to include on BF2042 for a future DLC.

It's also becoming increasingly clear that DICE will not be making any more Battlefront games either. In the last 10 years DICE only released Battlefield, Battlefront and a Mirror's Edge reboot in 2016 that wasn't very successful so it didn't get a sequel.

This leaves a total of zero franchises under DICE's control, meaning EA seems to have relegated it to a support studio for Frostbite development.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I think DICE as a game studio might be done. At least the Stockholm variant. They will likely be relegated to support for 2042 and Frostbite development. With Zampella in control and new studios making games hopefully we see improvement for 2042 and the new games they want to release.

Aure

Banned
Hopefully soon. I'm done with them since the days of the garbage that Mirror's Edge Catalyst turned out to be.
Next one should be Bioware, i know they'll fuck it up with ME4, no doubt in my mind.

MiguelItUp

I mean, it's changing as much as it possibly can right now. It already had with, and after, BF1. BF makes EA too much money for them to just drop DICE, but this DICE isn't the same DICE anymore. A lot of those people have moved on already.

They can still come back around, but come on man, look at what the Battlefield series is, and has been. It's ups and downs, what makes it successful, etc. All the talk about memorable characters and stories already sounds so incredibly off putting. Vince does great work, and I'd like to think that he can help that sinking ship, but I really don't know.

Notabueno

Banned
Ahahah FUCK THEM for not having included a single player campaign right when I was ready to jump on the bandwagon.

When are they going to understand that appealing to greasy couch potato online-only player is leading nowhere anymore.

Tams

IT'S DEAD DICE, IT'S DEAD! JUST LET IT GO!

Not that I've forgiven you for Battlefield V, or what you did to Battlefront. All we needed was an update to Battlefront II (the Pandemic Studios one).

Top Bottom