• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many games per month - what is a good lineup?

Keio

For a Finer World
After reading the EGM E3 thread I was left wondering what people really want.

How many good games should a system get per month?

Having suddenly fallen ill and facing half a years sick leave, I realized that without the impetus of having to review games, I've been playing for the first two months with the speed of one game per month plus UT2K4 on the side.

Is there actually massive oversupply on every gaming platform?

cuccoo

I play like 2-3 new games a month, even though I buy like 4-5/month. So this leads to massive backlog that will keep growing.

and to answer your question. yes there is too much supply of games, though publishers are smart enough to produce small quantity for shitty titles.

AniHawk

It depends on people's tastes. For me, there's enough on the GC to have a game per month for the rest of the year, nothing on the GBA, a couple games on the Xbox, and a bit on the PS2 towards the end of the year.

I think a game a month is good. Otherwise it could get too "crowded," and the backlog just grows and grows.

Right now I have a nice collection of games for the current systems. This makes more than one or two good games a month unimportant to me. I can still go back and have a lot of fun playing stuff like Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Ratchet and Clank: GC etc.

I feel a little uneasy about so many great games coming out all at once later this year. I think a couple of killer titles which might otherwise have been hits will have to totally flop because of the dearth of quality so densely diffused around the hollidays.

This year has been o.k to begin with mostly because of xbox. For ps2 and cube things have been too slow. In the past that was totally the other way around. odd. Publishers should take more chances releasing games during spring, summer, early fall rather than clumping everything around christmas.

stonedwal

Since I stopped reviewing, I've slowed down dramatically - I'm working my way through my backlog (down from nearly 60 to less than 20) at the moment, and I don't intend to play nearly as many games at the end of this year as I did at the end of last year. Being able to spend more time on each game is great too.

That said, I can see myself buying about 15 new games between now and the end of the year.

It's all subjective though - I think at least one decent game comes out on every system each month, but they don't all necessarily appeal to me.

Slo

I will only buy 1 game a month, but I would love it if 3 games came out a month for variety's sake.

ge-man

I definately think it's a bad idea to connect a system's worth to a release schedule. It won't matter if ten games come in one month if all them turn out to be garbage or just uninteresting to particular buyers--even for the sake of variety. Quality still counts for something--it pretty much kept the N64 alive in the face of the Sony's support.

Personally one really good game a month would be enough for me to cover variety and quality. I don't play games in marathon sessions anymore and like many others I have my own back catalogue of GC and GBA games that I'm working through so I don't feel like I'm missing out on entertainment.

Prospero

Well, I have a ridiculous backlog of games, and I don't play more than 40 hours in a month (and usually that's much less), so zero games a month would be fine for me right now.

It's nice to see two or three quality games come out each month during the second half of a given year, though, if only because it drives prices down after Christmas. Both the PS2 and the GC have libraries full of $19.99 goodness right now--I don't want this generation to end.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
One per month is sufficient...

The problem, however, is that every has different tastes as to what -makes- an AAA game. I'd see a month with only Madden being released as a month -without- any games worth playing... someone else might see a month with only Super Monkey Ball 3 as a month devoid of gaming.

ge-man

Excellent point. It's the main reason why I thought that E3 rating thing from EGM is basically worthless. Sony had a great show if you're tastes fall in line with what it's getting. And the same can be said for the GC and Xbox and even the GBA.

Top Bottom