• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many movies are there in the Drunken Master series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

There's Drunken Master and there's Legend of the Drunken Master. Were there any others starring Jackie Chan?

Well, there's Drunken Master and Drunken Master 2; "Legend" is just the name Disney applied to number 2 when they dubbed it and cut the ending for America.

Vieo

Well, there's Drunken Master and Drunken Master 2; "Legend" is just the name Disney applied to number 2 when they dubbed it and cut the ending for America.

LoL! Disney bought over Drunken Master 2? Does that kinda go against their ethics? I mean, he's constantly abusing alcohol. Maybe they figure theres a moral in there when his father tries to disown him.
I wonder that the original was like, because in Drunken Master, the head bad guy does a LOT of cursing and there wasn't any in Legend of the Drunken Master. Maybe there might of been script changes for the dubbing?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I need to get all the *classic* MA flicks...

Blood Sport and a few Bruce Lee flicks is all I have.

Anyone care to compile a Top 10?

DarienA?

karasu

Officially there are two , but the co director of [art 2 ot pissed and made his own movie called Drunken MAster 3 that surprisingly blows.

10 must haves:

My Young Auntie
Police Story
Police Story II
Knockabout
The Prodigal Son
Tiger Cage II
Drunken Master
Snake in Eagles Shadow
Shaolin Challenges Ninja
In the Line of Duty 4

Vieo

I bought Shogun Assassin recently too. I thought it was Martial Arts, but all this guy does is run around with a sword hacking peoples limbs off. What exactly is the genre called? =P
And why is there a message on the cover that says "Banned since 1983!". Was the movie really banned?

EDIT: And how come The 5 Deadly Venoms isn't on that list? =P

karasu

It's Martial Arts, it's chambara. Swordplay.

The Five Deadly Venoms is cool, but I don't consider it must see lol.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Fist of Legend (the one with Jet Li)
Iron Monkey
Fong Sai Yuck

edit:lol at eggo. You have good taste ;)

HAOHMARU

My favorite MA films:

Fist of Legend (Jet Li remake)
Once Upon a Time in China (trilogy...3 is the weakest though)
Enter the Dragon
Drunken Master
Legend of Drunken Master (the US version has a cut ending? What are we missing???)

I'm probably missing a few that I have on DVD but I just can't remember them right now.

Who Am I? had an awesome fight scene with Jackie and those two dudes on the building roof top. I like this one a lot too...

Shogun Assasin is really the first Lone Wolf and Cub movie. I'd get into what my favorite Samurai movies are but that is a whole different topic.

HAOHMARU said:
Legend of Drunken Master (the US version has a cut ending? What are we missing???)

I've only read about this, but... you may remember that the U.S. version ends with some guy talking to Jackie's (or whatever his character's name was) parents. Evidently after that we see Jackie, who's acting all silly due to permanent brain damage from all the alcohol he consumed near the end of the movie.

nitewulf

im watching Ong Bak right now, it kicks major ass. fighting wise anyway, the plot etc are very generic. but i do like how they took some stylish shots, the editing is nice, and the music is fitting as well. didnt expect something of this quality out of thailand.

nitewulf

awesome stuff...props to tony jaa, the fights were some of the best i have seen in the recent years. brutal, close combat. he seems to be very skilled.
movies is pretty good as well, doesnt slow down or turn retarded or anything, its usual stuff but done well.
oh yeah, cute chics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom