• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek "Origin Story" movie in the works

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Paramount Pictures is ready to boldly go (again).

After rumors circulated earlier this year, Paramount has officially announced a new “Star Trek” prequel film, this time taking place decades before the original 2009 “Star Trek” film. “Andor” director Toby Haynes will direct from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (who is also writing another hotly touted CinemaCon title – the third “Now You See Me” film). J.J. Abrams is returning to produce.
We've already had
- First Contact
- Enterprise
- Random episodes of various shows
- The 2009 film series.

How many "origin stories" do we need? I wouldn't mind some good post-voyager shows.

AJUMP23

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Lame

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's been a long time...getting from there to here.

IDGAF as long as it isn't cape**** like the JJ Abrams films were and it isn't NuTrek like the STD and onwards shows are.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Star Trek is increasingly becoming outdated as far as sci fi goes. Some of its technology is quite obviously going to arrive much sooner than it predicted (AI and cybernetic augmentation for example, and probably a holodeck equivalent as well), while other aspects (warp drives, molecular reconstitution) remain firmly in the "magic" category. And that's without even getting into the fact that the real milky way galaxy is probably not as full of human-like intelligent life as once thought.

Why can't Star Trek move on and it's always a prequel? Enterprise was great but we've had so many prequels after that like Discovery and Strange New Worlds.

I want them to move beyond the TNG/DS9/Voyager era. Picard did it but we need more.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Star Trek is increasingly becoming outdated as far as sci fi goes. Some of its technology is quite obviously going to arrive much sooner than it predicted (AI and cybernetic augmentation for example, and probably a holodeck equivalent as well), while other aspects (warp drives, molecular reconstitution) remain firmly in the "magic" category. And that's without even getting into the fact that the real milky way galaxy is probably not as full of human-like intelligent life as once thought.
This is why they do kinda need to revamp the whole thing. Either just go cold turkey (i.e. none of this "multiverse'/"parallel universe" bullshit) and keep the philosophical principles but refresh the tech involved or move so far away from Federation centered Trek that it may as well be the same thing. Like a bunch of Orion pirates fucking around far from Federation space so if/when the Enterprise shows up its a novel thing.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Why? As OP pointed out, we already had First Contact and Enterprise. I guess someone really thought their idea for the Kelvinverse was better. Star Trek really isn't the sort of thing where I hunger for backstories and expanded lore—please just land on a sentient planet that only eats space vegan food, or show me something weird and philosophical like a space philanthropist who shoplifts. Show me a planet where everyone stops moving when the red lights turn on, and resumes movement when the green lights turn on, but the Starfleet protagonists break the rules and have to sit in jail until someone tags them. Classic Trek adventures.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
when it comes to big superhero and space movies, I guess it's simply just more profitable and easier to rehash some kind of origins or prequel. Start over again. Look how many times Batman origins and Spiderman high school Peter Parker movies there are.

Some of them dont even get sequels. It just keeps cycling origins plots. Superman Brandon Routh then went to Man of Steel, and a 2025 is another reboot.

As crazy as it seems, if you look at all the Superman movies going back to the Christopher Reeves days, almost all of them involve Lex Luthor or Zod and gang. Same shit.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wish they would stop giving us this slop and make a movie focused on the superior star trek, deep space 9.

Star Trek Suprised GIF by Goldmaster
I'd love this too - but at this point too much time has passed, and they would have to re-cast all or most of the characters.

AJUMP23

Wouldn’t this be a story about people like magellan and drake and Livingston. Because star truck is about exploration and being pioneers essentially. Also negotiations. The prime directive is a commentary on how you should not interfere with “primitive” people.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I wouldn't mind if they let Star Trek rest for twenty years personally. Revive it with something set 40 years after Voyager.

XXL

Can they just let Denis Villeneuve, Alex Garland or any director who actually knows how to actually build an interesting world direct a Star Trek movie?

Like seriously wtf.

JJ Abrams know how to make action scenes and that's it.

The issue is the action scenes are literally the least important part of Star Trek.

I don't give shit about watching 100 ships shooting at each other when the narrative fucking sucks.

FunkMiller

I'm never watching anything Star Trek again that Terry Matalas hasn't made. He's the only one worth a shit over there in terms of Star Trek story and character.

This news is just another piece of evidence in the Hollywood is creatively bankrupt storyline.

Last edited:

CSJ

I can only assume they are so creatively bankrupt they need to keep doing prequels because they don't know what to do to keep going forward.
The closest I ever got to the feeling of old trek was Orville Season 2, the first was too jokey and the third was too serious but in the middle, it was just right.

I'll still watch it because, well, if all I have to eat are potatoes that's what I'm gonna eat.

Ballthyrm

Star trek will never be outdated as it's really not about space or technology, or whatever gadget writers can come up with.

Some of the greatest star trek episodes feature none of that.

Give me the teamwork, the moral courage, the compassion and human decency. Qualities that are rarely seen nowadays in series and movies but are at the core of what makes star trek great.

Most of all give me the optimism for the future and that solutions are possible

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This means another star trek cast also. Not a fan the old cast was great.

Also it's time for star trek to start a new series after voyager, in the style of TNG.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Most of all give me the optimism for the future and that solutions are possible
This is the biggest reason why I think Star Trek is losing its relevance. I adore this core message but in order for it to powerfully resonate I think it needs to be based on a future that is scientifically plausible, which I think is no longer true for the original show's setting.

Other shows such as The Expanse and For All Mankind have picked up the baton in terms of showcasing moral courage and teamwork.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is the biggest reason why I think Star Trek is losing its relevance. I adore this core message but in order for it to powerfully resonate I think it needs to be based on a future that is scientifically plausible, which I think is no longer true for the original show's setting.

Other shows such as The Expanse and For All Mankind have picked up the baton in terms of showcasing moral courage and teamwork.

That's the thing... It IS scientifically possible.

Over half the tech in TOS, that most people back then thought was impossible, is commonplace now. Even Warp Drive is theoretically possible (it would actually be what cloaks a ship... No other tech needed). Pretty much everything is based on what's technologically possible in the relative near future and what's theoretically possible in Quantum or theoretical physics.

Ballthyrm

Being scientifically plausible is the scenery though, that's what my point was. The Expanse works because its game of thrones in space, complex political characters with their own motivation working against one another , not because the ship are realistic, even if I grant you it's nice and great foundations for the story to lean on.

The problem for modern star trek is that they are waging wars on battles that have already been won. There is no great questions being asked with the characters wrestling with the idea, like should Data have rights, stories that are pushing the overton window on upcoming technologies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That's the thing... It IS scientifically possible.

Over half the tech in TOS, that most people back then thought was impossible, is commonplace now. Even Warp Drive is theoretically possible (it would actually be what cloaks a ship... No other tech needed). Pretty much everything is based on what's technologically possible in the relative near future and what's theoretically possible in Quantum or theoretical physics.
I'm sorry but you're mistaken.
Like I said earlier in this thread: AGI, cybernetic augmentation, probably a holodeck equivalent - these will all arrive much sooner than Star Trek predicted.

But Warp Drive and molecular reconstitution both remain firmly in the "magic" category. What's more, the idea of a federation of physiologically similar alien races who all happen to be at very similar stages of development and exist in the same region of the Milky Way is nothing but 1960s wishful thinking. And these three are at the basis of what makes Star Trek.

But there are plenty of ways to tell inspiring stories which deliver a similarly optimistic message, while operating on much more plausible assumptions.

Believe it or not, he did something for Star Trek. He gave it a new audience. I also did not like Star Trek before seeing he's 2009 film, then I came to appreciate the franchise.
I'm also part of the audience who wasn't a fan until his movie. I think a huge part of it highly depended on when someone was born, because I was a little kid when TNG came out and I didn't know that the main draw of the series was it's philosophical concepts, dialogue, science, etc.

So back then I felt it was extremely boring compared to other sci-fi media like Star Wars, Terminator, Alien, Fifth Element, etc.

Hudo

Enough with the origin stuff. Go further into the future. I remember at least one episode in Star Trek: Voyager where a Federation ship from the far future could not only travel through space but also through time. Also had another version of the Prime Directive, that also concerned not fucking up timelines by creating paradoxes and stuff. A series exploring this would be cool, I think

Edit: But then again, I don't think Hollywood has writers capable of actually writing good stuff with this premise. So... well... Maybe going the origin route is the safer bet.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Being scientifically plausible is the scenery though, that's what my point was. The Expanse works because its game of thrones in space, complex political characters with their own motivation working against one another , not because the ship are realistic, even if I grant you it's nice and great foundations for the story to lean on.

The problem for modern star trek is that they are waging wars on battles that have already been won. There is no great questions being asked with the characters wrestling with the idea, like should Data have rights, stories that are pushing the overton window on upcoming technologies.
One of the foundations of Star Trek is that for the most part humanity got its shit together and was able to create a united earth in which poverty and prejudice no longer existed.

This was made possible due to a sudden abundance of all essential resources and an end to all manufacturing and distribution bottlenecks, and also - I think - because the idea of joining a galactic multi-species society was so alluring to most humans, they were willing to put aside almost all other differences and embrace a new hierarchy.

How do you get the viewer to suspend their disbelief and embrace this concept if they don't assume technology can create such a premise in the not-too-distant future?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Enough with the origin stuff. Go further into the future. I remember at least one episode in Star Trek: Voyager where a Federation ship from the far future could not only travel through space but also through time. Also had another version of the Prime Directive, that also concerned to fucking up timelines by creating paradoxes and stuff. A series exploring this would be cool, I think
They are scared of venturing beyond the template that early Star Trek series and movies did. Look at Picard, took them 3 seasons to go from bad to horrible to decent/good-enough :D.

Top Bottom