• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you will buy Next gen consoles at Launch?

How many of you will buy next gen consoles at launch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I already pre-ordered PS5 from the local game store almost one year ago.
Can't wait!!

Edit. Oh and the reason would be that I want the newest Playstation-console, because I like Sony's games and I've been part of "Playstation habitat" since the first console.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PS5 at launch, Xbox as soon as they show me good exclusives.

Unless PS5 is impossible to find, I may get a SeX at launch and then buy PS5 as soon as I can.

Reactions: Isa

CrysisFreak

Banned
I hope I'll be able to get a PS5 day one. If not I'll go fucking nuclear. To think some retarded casual out there will have a PS5 and I won't. Nono. Not happening. I need to get one day one.
Waited too long.

I would love to buy both at launch, but I won't for different reasons. I don't want to be a BETA tester for the PS5 since I don't have enough confidence that Sony will be able to manage the thermal without issues. I'll wait until I hear that thermal management is well in hand before buying. It could be 3 months, 6 months or a year, but hopefully it will be closer to 3 months than a year's time.

I won't be picking up the XSX at launch unless there's at least 1 exclusive game besides Halo, Forza and Gears that I want. I'm hoping for a good Star Wars rpg like KOTOR, Fable or something amazing from Obsidian. If not at launch, then later on when one of those 16 new studios releases something great.

REDRZA MWS

Buying both at launch, i always do. Gaming has been the main hobby in my life for a very long time. I have the disposable income so the cost against the countless hours of entertainment I get is well worth it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Man everyone is assuming Sony will have shortages compared to MS because of one little rumor article. I think they'll both sell out immediately after becoming available and will have similar limited quantities due to Corona

• Thoughtful

CobraAB

Systems I have bought at launch:

Atari Jaguar
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 1
Playstation 2
PSP
XBox 360 (wanted HD console and PS3 would launch a year later)
Playstation 3
PS Vita
Playstation 4

I have had other systems but not at launch. I have a XBox One X that I just got fairly recently.

I need help.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ps5 most likely but really need to see how BC is working.

I have a XBOX1X and a gaming pc so I should be good for a while on the XBOX side. I'll probably get one eventually though

Hostile_18

Banned
Probably PS5 but not ruling anything out completely though.

I just know it will be one console or the other. Getting two when 90% of the games will be the same dosnt make much sense to me. That been said money isnt an issue so I'll wait for both game conferences. If I'm torn... who knows what crazy I may take 😉

• LOL
Ps5 most likely but really need to see how BC is working.

I have a XBOX1X and a gaming pc so I should be good for a while on the XBOX side. I'll probably get one eventually though
Mods are Sonyponys confirmed?

I'm joking don't ban me.

On a serious note, I agree. Xbone x and a good gaming PC, loaded with Gamepass will keep you going on the Microsoft side.

GriffinCorp

Current plan is buying one at launch. Been saving for months. I want to know the price on both and I want to see what new interface for the PS5 console will have, They need more options now for the PS4, PS Store needs an upgrade. Xbox is still going to be the same as my One X. So I'm more on the fence but I'm leaning towards the PS5. Current Gen has been more Xbox than PS4 for me, BC on Xbox is awesome. But lately I have been playing Sony exclusives that have been freaking amazing.

At the start of last gen, I waited in the rain in front of Best Buy to buy the Xbox One. I was so excited. But the system setup was awful, buggy and I had issues with game installs and having to delete and reinstall, wait another 40 minutes to play the game. I hated how the UI looked and worked. Half baked, It took a lot of wind out of my sails. I ended up getting the PS4 late in February 2014 for my birthday and the setup was so nice and fresh, love the PS start up and UI music, just the small things. But still the console was dry for the first two years. Both were, so I have the think about that as well. I'm excited for new consoles and I'm not, the Xbox One X has been fine. I think I would be happy to keep it around for a few years. I think picking up the PS5 at launch sounds better, just hope this gen will have a better start with having great games earlier in the gen.

I still want to see the games. Halo is looking awesome, what little we have seen and I can always play that on the One X. I think my days of shelving the old hardware and moving to new hardware day one are over.

Ar¢tos

I'll buy a ps5 when a game that I like releases for it, if it's a launch game, then I'll buy it at launch.
XSX will have to wait about 1 year after launch.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5 day one so I can continue playing Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU Part 2 when they come out and Lost Soul Aside along with the new games

I'll add the XSX if they have Ryse 2, QB 2, Cuphead 2 with more platforming and if the Fable reboot is similar to The Witcher 3

I game mostly on PC nowdays but i will get the Series S since it will be cheap and i have gamepass ultimate through 2022 so i can enjoy it without ever buying a game for it.

I will buy both for my wife and kids and for personal use will game on PC in my office/mancave except for exclusives. For Sony/Microsoft exclusives I will game on the family systems.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ps5 day one. I've bought all Sony consoles at launch including psvr and was never disappointed.

Nextbox maybeeee but I don't see a big differentiator or anything I want thts specific to it so probably not. I bought an Xbox one and it was a waste of money to me.

Windows-PC

Banned
I will buy an XBox Series X for myself and as much PlayStation 5's as I can to sell them on eBay :)

In the end I will've my XBox Series X and a few games for free, it's great to be smart ;)

I know me....I will want to wait because I wont have any pressing need for one (nothing I need to play) but I love new tech and probably wont be able to hold off 🤷‍♂️

Lesson learned , Waiting for game releases is no longer a valuable option , the best way to spend on consoles is through collecting as much games as you can with the least amount of money that can buys. otherwise it wouldn't be possible to afford buying the ps4 , the switch and gaming PC on top of my xbox one , I get the idea of not telling how others should spend on games but seriously! No matter how much you own in your pocket there's a limit on how much you could spend on them .

chixdiggit

With MS supporting PC gaming the way they have, I highly doubt I will buy their console.
Probably get a PS5 after a year or so for the exclusives.

mekes

I’ll buy one at launch. It’s not essential, I could go a year or 2 without purchasing but gaming is a hobby. A new console at launch is a treat, interesting and fun. It’s hard to resist and I’m fortunate enough to be able to do it.

93xfan

Banned
I love how incredible MS has treated my game library (gen 6, 7, and 8) so I’m going Xbox. Being able to replace my system is so nice.

I also dealt with loud fans with my launch PS4, My PS4 Pro, and more recently a PS4 slim.

On top of that, I love Halo. MCC is just insanely fun. Sony would have to do a Socom 2 Online remaster for me to consider switching at this point.

Vroadstar

PS5 on launch, and if they released the controller early I'll buy that too just to get a feel for it and use in my PS4. Will use my PC if MS
release any good games next gen.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be able to score myself either of them at launch.... With my shit luck. But I'll get an SX first when I get the chance to own one. That sweet Halo Infinite is a must play for me on next gen

PsyEd

Was going to be Ps5 only originally but then thought why not XsX as my game library is actually bigger as I bought the X1X versions over Ps4....plus I love my Dobyb Atmos gaming...plus lets see how GoW5 turns out with the patch.

T_LVPL

I initially thought no, wait 6 months and get myself a good deal/bundle etc. but i now don’t see the harm in preordering on Amazon, where no money is taken until dispatch, and if there’s upgraded versions of FF7 and The Last of Us 2 (with a ps5 exclusive Factions mode perhaps...) then i can keep the preorder and buy it.

Last edited:
For the PS5 it depends on Price and Backwards Compatibility.

If it's more than 500 quid, then no way in hell am I buying that. Less, and it turns out it has full BC all the way to the PS1? Day 1. To the PS2, then probably, PS3, maybe and if it really is just PS4, then eh, I can wait.

Ad for the XSX, my wife wants a new laptop, so I'm just going to add a couple of hundred pounds to my budget for that instead

I won't buy a Playstation 5 day one for sure, I'll buy one within the next two years or so. I might end up getting one relatively short after launch, but this will depend on whether or not the price is right with me. If it's too expensive, I'll wait until there is a price drop that satisfies me, or there are enough games for it that justify paying whatever it currently costs.

Last edited:
I'll only get a console if there's compelling exclusives there. Sony got me with Bloodborne last time. A Demon's remaster won't get me this time though, I've already played that game. MS will only get me through PC ports. That said, even if there was something compelling enough to want me to buy a PS5, I'd still probably wait a few years.

Top Bottom