• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft moving full ahead on next gen console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Got This Believe In Yourself GIF by Take Roots Consulting

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I will say if they did this:
-Steam deck like device with docking capabilities like Switch
-Price point of $600-$700
-Can run steam natively and Xbox game pass

I’d buy it I think.

But what we will get? More Terra flops and no games box.

LordCBH

Here’s hoping they actually compete with the studios they have instead of attempting to buy everything and then whining like bitches when they get even a slight pushback.

Of course, actually utilizing the assets they have would require Phil and Matt be shown the door.

This isn't an official announcement regardless. i will be more surprised if they actually announce it for real.

Anyway, I am reminded of Project Neptune. You know, what was suppose to replace Sega Saturn?

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Wow wa wee waa you man need to stop, this is getting me to excited, I cant imagine how powerfull this thing is going to be, I mean we already have the power beast Series X the most powerfull game console in the world and already more powerfull than any PC you can build, PS5 pro is going to be left in the dust. Imagine the games aswell, the next Hellblade a 4 hr epic and the next Halo after the last great succsess 😍💪.

Thank you Phil, we are not worthy of your greatness, if you read this please send me a dm so maybe we can meet up and talk Xbox.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It isn't. The solution is better games.

Their problem has never been about hardware.

Hardware was certainly a major discussion point during the Xbox One generation.

But your previous comment suggests that a drive to build a powerful box comes at the expense of software. Which is kinda illogical.

Because releasing the strongest console on the market has helped in the past. Its baffling how the xbros keep doing this every generation, you fuckers love being shafted by Microsoft.

Imagine all the great games that the hardware division could have been building instead, eh?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Speculation:

The ai upscale delivers true 4k image quality, the new form factor is portable hybrid. Wireless hdmi to tv with included dongle.
$299, launches Nov 2025. All games in pipeline from all studios on series X and S, plus the new system. A big $$$ loss on each system but ms sees this as one last gambit into hardware.

The system in reality would be weaker than current systems but between frame generation, a new form of ai upscaling, and a couple of other tricks, it will offer 60fps at 4k games with some lighting tricks to make it sound better than today's consoles. While it won't deliver that, it's ability to put out 4k 60 in the portable form factor and operate easily as a portable and console, and a low price, make it compelling.

The support of x and s continuing and it being a portable keeps current xbox supporters from feeling betrayed and even want to buy the new system.

Last edited:
Hardware was certainly a major discussion point during the Xbox One generation.

But your previous comment suggests that a drive to build a powerful box comes at the expense of software. Which is kinda illogical.

Imagine all the great games that the hardware division could have been building instead, eh?
Nah, it was still games. Hardware was only a talking point on forums.

The majority of gamers couldn't give two shits if the XB1 was slightly less powerful than the PS4 and was running games at 900p/720p compared to 1080p on PS4.

What killed them last gen was the TV, TV, TV push, forced Kinect, used game trade-in fiasco, and the complete lack of big system sellers throughout the gen. If they dropped a few killer apps they would have turned all the negativity around. MS keeps trying to fix their software problems with better hardware and it has never worked for them. Majority of gamers don't give two shits about power when both consoles from MS and Sony are very similar hardware-wise, they care about the games. Sony has killer apps, Nintendo has killer apps, the only console manufacturer without killer app exclusives is Microsoft, and new hardware won't fix that.

Last edited:

Metnut

Good for them. Microsoft is an easy punching bag given their ineptitude but the console and video game business is better with them making hardware.

Only way forward for them is hybrid console/PC. Will be interesting to see how they pull it off and try to make it cost effective.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Oh go away and just be happy that no gamer is gonna not have windows. There ya go you already dominate an entire segment of gaming with the most MAUs

simpatico

Xbox branded Steam Machine or bust tbh. With all the studios they own it's legit possible. They're probably the only ones that can do this. I'm rooting for it. Windows gaming is smooth enough now that they could release a 2-3 trim levels and get dependable, marketable, label-able performance. Really no different than what they're doing now with S and X, but they could immediately brag about have a million game library. This way, Xbox can never die because it's rebranded PC gaming.

Do you guys think this would cost more or less R&D and workforce than a traditional, walled garden console?

Last edited:
They had the most powerful console this gen and basically gave their games away for free and still came in a distant third. What more could they possibly do to turn things around?

INB4 "Make good games again." Let's keep the replies realistic

Ozriel

M$FT
Nah, it was still games. Hardware was only a talking point on forums.

The majority of gamers couldn't give two shits if the XB1 was slightly less powerful than the PS4 and was running games at 900p/720p compared to 1080p on PS4.

What killed them last gen was the TV, TV, TV push, forced Kinect, used game trade-in fiasco, and the complete lack of big system sellers throughout the gen. If they dropped a few killer apps they would have turned all the negativity around. MS keeps trying to fix their software problems with better hardware and it has never worked for them. Majority of gamers don't give two shits about power when both consoles from MS and Sony are very similar hardware-wise, they care about the games. Sony has killer apps, Nintendo has killer apps, the only console manufacturer without killer app exclusives is Microsoft, and new hardware won't fix that.

Consumers should want console makers to optimize as much as possible the base power of the next gen consoles. Pushing for hardware excellence has absolutely no negative impact on the number and cadence of first party games delivered, gives consumers much better value for money and gives developers the tools to make their games better.

I understand the burning need some of you have to reach for snark, but it makes no sense in this context. Nowhere in the email being quoted does it say their winning strategy is to make it all about hardware power. They have a significant first party setup now, much bigger than at the transitions for last gen and this gen. Driving that organization to putting out quality software in a timely manner isn't the job of the hardware team or the folks doing R&D for the next console.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If we assume November 2025, launching your next-gen console two years before Sony sounds like a terrible idea.
BTW, they would have to compete with the next Nintendo console in that holiday season.
I really think they are pinning their hopes and dreams on being able to say "The clear best place to play GTA6"

Hypothetical here but what if its the ONLY place to play it at 60 fps?

Does that move the needle at all?

Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC

Shodai

So games will then have to support...XBS/XBX/XB Next + PC. This is a very risky strategy if they simply create a typical console. I assume they have a rabbit up their sleeve...if not, this has a chance to be a huge egg in their face, and almost certainly the end of Phil's career.

Shodai

They had the most powerful console this gen and basically gave their games away for free and still came in a distant third. What more could they possibly do to turn things around?

INB4 "Make good games again." Let's keep the replies realistic
Not a single game entices to me get an Xbox. And lets not even get into their woke policies.

We saw how it went for Sega with the Dreamcast...

Well the only difference here is that MS can do that again and again and again thanks to their inifnite money. Let's see when Satiya or whoever is the CEO will get tired of this.
I'm waiting for the united states government buyout by Microsoft while I eat my frosty Phil breakfast cereal.

I really think they are pinning their hopes and dreams on being able to say "The clear best place to play GTA6"

Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC
I don’t think it will move the needle for them at all. Their brand has a problem. They’ve launched two consoles back to back that have been total disasters. Outside of the hardcore faithful most people will just wait for the upcoming more powerful PS6.

Also, when you consider that games are taking much longer to release you’re not going to get third party devs abandoning the way more popular PS5 as a base platform to develop their games to take advantage of a more powerful Xbox that will most likely be a niche console with limited sales.

Consumers will wait for the PS6 and most third party studios will probably wait too, and I won’t blame them. Seeing the way MS has handled console launches for the past 11 years I wouldn’t blame anyone skipping out on the next Xbox.

Ashamam

A big $$$ loss on each system but ms sees this as one last gambit into hardware.
I'm confident you won't see MS do this again. Everything they are doing right now makes it obvious they are tightening the belt. The division has been given marching orders to make money. So anything that gets in the way of that isn't going to carry over to the next generation. GP is the only exception but even there I expect further changes before the generation ends aimed at reducing the subscriber number break even point.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Some folks were definitely hoping for the opposite.
I hope they do something real different and stop chasing sony .... chase some different market whatever the fuck it is ... for me personally? I would love a monster premium machine that eats multiplats for breakfast. I would pay top dollar for that... IF the games were there.

SenkiDala

Yep. The Xbox has always been an attractive product each generation.

The issue this gen more than ever is no killer apps.

At least back when it was Halo, Forza, Gears, and Fable you had 4 good reasons to own one even if a PlayStation or PC was your main platform.

They needed to keep the momentum on those IPs while just injecting more to grow a real portfolio.
But they need to CHANGE those IPs, to make them evolve.

While Forza is a racing game so this can be difficult, but Gears evolved a little, Halo a tiny bit, and they need MORE. The secret of the success of long lasting IPs are renewing the formula. Like Resident Evil, like Final Fantasy, those series are always changing (every 3 or 4 games for RE), this is why those series are still relevant. I'm not talking about personal opinion but about economic facts. FF is still selling well and RE too, they make money.

Halo in the other hand... The problem of Halo is this is the same game since 1, and we had Halo 1/2/3/Reach/ODST/4/5/Infinite, that would be nice to renew that series... The gameplay... Ah and also I play Halo since launch of Halo CE and the story since the 2nd became impossible to understand if you don't read all the books, comics, etc, and for me that's a very shitty idea. While playing Halo 5 or Infinite I had no idea what was happening in the game, the lore makes no sense to me anymore...

Guess we’ll need to push the fully third party, death of hardware, death of GamePass back another generation. One day the crystal ball crew will probably eventually maybe be right maybe.

What a stark contrast to a few months ago or whenever the HFR rumor nonsense started.

Guess we’ll need to push the fully third party, death of hardware, death of GamePass back another generation. One day the crystal ball crew will probably eventually maybe be right maybe.

What a stark contrast to a few months ago or whenever the HFR rumor nonsense started.

ship shipping GIF

mortal

Gold Member
Now way they launch in 2026. If they do, then I can already see the marketing, "The best console to play Grand Theft Auto VI"
Would they launch their next-gen console earlier just to one-up the PS5 Pro?

Launching early would just lead to a prolonged cross-gen period, as they're likely to release their 1st party titles on both Series S + X in addition to the new console, due to its smaller install base.
So I'd imagine that most of their software lineup wouldn't even be a true next-gen showcase.
Also if Microsoft plans on porting more of their 1st party titles to PlayStation hardware, which is likely, then for a lot of us it makes more sense to wait till a more powerful PS6 launches a couple of years later to play them there anyway.

Oppoi

How surprising and oh so exiting! Fingers crossed this new scheme will be the one! Cheers to another generation of shilling and astroturf to give the illusion of success and support.
1000_F_436900484_EpOfle3HocMyjRl8aDdB78dCsWBP8j3D.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Of course they are moving ahead, they absolutely have to!

Bottom line is that if they want GamePass to stick around, they will need to upgrade and replace their entire cloud server back-end.

Think about it, they will need enough server blades running whatever the next-gen hardware standard is to cover whatever their anticipated demand is going to be.

Obviously those same blades will need to serve all currently existing content too (long-term they cannot abandon their legacy content moat) which is why "forwards compatibility" is such a buzzword for them right now.

Moving forwards with GamePass essentially creates the need for a "console", i.e, a hardware spec for developers to target, but it doesn't necessarily follow that any hardware sold at retail will resemble past retail offers.

From a practical standpoint they could opt for basically some form of generic PC that incorporates a special secure "Xbox" chip or card that they could offer to third party licensees. It'd certainly reduce costs and time-scale on populating servers plus being able to offer a decent retail supply...

This aspect gets kinda overlooked, and its a big deal because the back-end infrastructure required to support Pachter's hyper optimistic100mil users in 10 years prediction is more than a little insane!

Technology and power efficiency may improve year-on-year, but if you think about it needing to support a massive cloud service, where each user will potentially need more gpu and cpu horsepower than today's consoles is kinda nutty.

Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC
this almost implies Sony has a marketing deal for GTA VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom