• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to sell movies to China: Its so obvious, its hard to unsee now [VIDEO]

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The excessive pandering to the CCP is one of the most disgusting recent, greed fuelled trends in Hollywood.
Money > Morals

WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif

I doubt many rewrites were needed to not have the Dalai Lama in the Warcraft movie. The rest just seems like something marketing would do anyway to appeal to a huge market.

There have been reports of far more extensive alternations mandated like the bad guys not being allowed to win or the government cannot appear to be powerless against Godzilla or aliens.

Last edited:
I was going to say "no shit", but this video is from 2017 so yes, this is well known in 2022.

It's a major reason why Monster Hunter bombed so horribly. It was counting on that Chinese money, but a joke made by a Chinese-American actor in the trailer was seen as racist (Weibo aka Chinese Twitter is just as retarded as our Twitter btw), so China boycotted it and doomed the movie to complete failure.

Elysion

Banned
Pandering to ccp vs pandering to hollywood loonies

tumblr_mvd1r7bRbh1rcxo5yo1_400.0.gif

Indeed. At this point Chinese censorship is probably the only thing preventing Hollywood from just saying ‘fuck it’ and turning well known characters into full blown transvestites with necrophilia fetishes or something lol. They would love to do it, but they also know that it means being excluded from the massive Chinese market.

I’m genuinely curious how this will work out in the long run. Hollywood is only getting more and more degenerate, while China has recently started to move in the opposite direction, telling its domestic media to get rid of ‘sissy men’ and depict more masculine role models. At some point Hollywood (and western entertainment in general) will be culturally so far removed from Chinese (and other non-western) sensibilities that the age of the international blockbuster might eventually be coming to an end.

TonyK

I thought the video would bring curiosities nobody could think about it, but all was pretty obvious. It was like a video about flirting with girls and said take a shower and don't grab her tits at first sight.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Blink was one of the best parts about Days of Future Past so Im glad they pandered to China in that particular case lol

Alebrije

Well , not just China but also México, more than before You have actors coming to México promoting movies , I know it's not the scope of China's case. But it seems Hollywood needs more than ever the money from markets outside U.S.

The best part is when they pander to both CCP and woke Westerners at the same time.

The infamous same sex kiss in Lightyear was cut when the film was submitted to China's censors for release candidacy. The film wasn't approved for release in China anyways.

spawn

I rarely go to the movies because most of the bullshit out there doesn't appeal to me. The last movie I went to go see was John Wick 3.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I Thought China kept like 80% of the BO there so is it really worth pandering to that audience for a mere 20-40 million?

Cyberpunkd

i don't mind appealing to the chinese audience but the government? fuck off.
Here's the deal - you don't appeal to the Chinese government, your movie will not be released in China. Not to mention many Chinese are brainwashed and will defend their government no matter what nonsense.

Batiman

Banned
I have to admit that Shanghai is a great setting for most of the movies that film there. That bond scene was one of the best shot scenes in all of the Craig films. Transformers was trash but it is a cool city to see robots fighting each other in.

I have to admit that Shanghai is a great setting for most of the movies that film there. That bond scene was one of the best shot scenes in all of the Craig films. Transformers was trash but it is a cool city to see robots fighting each other in.

This. I have no problem when the settings or products actually fit.

But then again, we are used to “Western” brands in our media, so it’s easy to notice when there’s some Chinese brands instead. Like I don’t see anything too wrong about placing some Chinese drink over Coca Cola, for example, in a particular scene.

Then again, I’m ethnically Chinese myself and self-identify as Chinese but with Western characteristics (pronoun: Chwest). 😛

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Transformers Age of Extinction was embarrassing on this topic.

At some point they went to Hong Kong for no reason and there is this 5minutes fighting scene with a Chinese actor who don't say a word and the movie don't waste time to introduce him. And don't forget the Chinese government who have its role to save the day.

Top Bottom