• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UPDATE: IT'S A BUG (for now)] Apparently, Ubisoft is experimenting with pop-up ads in the middle of video games now

Toots

Gold Member
We really need to oust the merchants from the gaming temple.
Who am i kidding, the doritos flavored spice must flow.

Kadve

Random video which anyone can replicate with no information of where he got it from.... Yea this thing is probably fake as hell.

(Ediit) Source was apparently reddit. Lets hope its a glitch though....

Last edited:

Holammer

It's obviously meant for F2P games like whaisname... (quick google) "XDefiant".
If they put it in full 60$ games, that's when we riot.

Peroroncino

I know Ubisoft replaced their head with their ass, but I don't think they'd be that stupid, has to be a glitch or something.

BbMajor7th

You can squeeze three ad breaks into a twenty minute TV episode - unavoidable that they're going to squeeze them into 100-hour open world games.

Three

Where's that 3 fella that was defending COD popup on the xbox last week

Come defend this shit again and give us some laugh

"I don't see the problem it's just a small ad that you press B to get rid of"

3 fella? Or 3 fellas. I was strongly against the ad.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Once this dam breaks, it will be all over gamepass and similar such services. Only a matter of seconds. It will start gradually as gamers are egineered into accepting it, unless we all stand the fuck up and make them regret it. Microtransactions, imcomplete games, we failed on ever hill. This is the one to die one.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They should add an option to toggle off ads from settings. If there is anything I hate more it's popups while I am playing a game. This shouldn't even exist.

Advertisements likes this are common in shitty mobile games. Guess that's where "mainstream" games are heading. Advertisements, Cash Shop, MTX, etc.

Darchaos

Apparently i wont be buying anymore games from ubisoft, not that i did anyway.

This is more yikes and cringes then me typing yikes and cringe and Jim Sterling beeing pregnant.

mitch1971

Y'all got any more of those in-game ads?
yall-got-any-more-of-that.jpg

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Original report seems to be from this reddit thread on /r/xboxone:

Others are confirming that they've received the advert as well

And why is Ubisoft's headquarters not being burned down by the fans? Do gamers really swallow everything? It's not enough that they violently slit throats, pee on and dismember mythological figures, play games with seriously sick satanic imagery, paying exorbitant prices for a fucking power plant like GPU that is actually used to fund AI research, help aberrant "virtually resurrected" secret societies in games and other reprehensible things that noone with a sane mind would do in real life, plus pay 60 bucks for half done, not finished games, also beta test them, and now they're bombarded with ads for new titles... : DDD

For a cow of justice, that sounds like too much... I have to call Chicken and we have to sort things out.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Ubi is the kind of publisher that would include 5-minute ad breaks every hour with paid dlc to remove them.

Why is it always Ubi or EA with this dumb shit?
I got an idea:

A DLC that is a paid tonic that removes the ads but only for the duration of the tonic e.g. 24, 48, 96 hours, then they go back and you have to buy the DLC again like a consumable.

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

This will never fly. Not in the middle of gameplay.
People said the same things about horse armor DLC.
They said the same thing about "always online, online digital future", loot boxes, micro transactions, map packs, and subscriptions, now look where we are.

These pubs will do anything they can if there isn't enough push-back. Out of all those things i listed only loot boxes were walked back. Other things they find a way by re-naming something or using something else as a Trojan horse. Like Game Pass... don't you want your free games for $20 a month and a always online digital future? Map packs aren't hear but now we have season packs. No more expansions instead we have 100 micro dlcs, "you can download only what you want" for $5 a peice (when before $30 expansion would cover everything).

Push back and voting with your wallet is the way, but it only works when it's maintained. Too many people will just buy the next thing and say 'muh its not a big deal'. That energy allows them to continue.

Three

Dont worry, Xbox home screen and boot up ads have been training you for this.
He's one of those "just hit B" bumblebees:
Interact 😆🤡

You can hit B. It’s not hard.

Also you have to hit more than one button to buy the game. Hitting the button to buy on the ad would still take you to the product page, then you’d have to confirm payment method, then confirm the purchase. And that’s assuming you don’t have any security on your account that requires you to enter a passcode before purchase, which is something everyone should have on all consoles.

The bellyaching about this is ridiculous, even for GAF.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I got an idea:

A DLC that is a paid tonic that removes the ads but only for the duration of the tonic e.g. 24, 48, 96 hours, then they go back and you have to buy the DLC again like a consumable.

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

You buy a Ubisoft game for 80 bucks that can only be played after you give yourself a lethal injection that is included in the box and you have to pay Ubisoft 10 bucks a week for the suppressant.

200w.gif

If you're readying this, Yves: call me. There's plenty more where this came from.

Last edited:
They should add an option to toggle off ads from settings. If there is anything I hate more it's popups while I am playing a game. This shouldn't even exist.

Advertisements likes this are common in shitty mobile games. Guess that's where "mainstream" games are heading. Advertisements, Cash Shop, MTX, etc.
And look what happened to mobile games. Complete horseshit . There is no real games there anymore. Its all made for you to buy stuff in game stuff, coins or subscriptions. In the past you could do a on time larger purchase and unlock everything, get rid of ads or they had games that were full no iap.... now most don't even give you that option. Some would require paying $100s of dollars to get the full benefit.
I lucked out by being grandfathered in to some apps for a lifetime membership...all was good until the "new version of the app" required a sub, lifetime was "only for version 1 of the app" . Shit recently seen this same behavior in office applications.. it never ends.

Couple that with a lot of the good non mtx/iap mobile games being de-listed as they remove games that don't get updated regularly or aren't up to date with latest os and those good old games that didn't have the bs are stuck only playable on older devices. I know as I have run into this multple times on both Apple and Android. My point is if they can get away with it they will.

You see the same trends in gaming. Its a race to the bottom. Those mobiles "games" a lot of them don't resemble games anymore. Barely any have two player pass and play its all "online multiplayer" only, so they can maximize cash shop.
This happens more and more with consoles too. How long before "collectathons" a staple in ubisoft modern games, is monitized? Ads is the next step, slowly boiling that frog...

F2P, Gaas, Subscrptions (this is bad too, I play song quiz with my wife on echo and its $10 a month with no alternative apps to try, and they know it. So I don't buy and just do the free stuff, even though they could easily have my money as I would buy it for a $30-50 one time fee, but not even a option. So they don't get any money from me, but get $10 a month from idiots.

Where do you think console is headed with gamepass, gaas, subs, mtx? Only thing mobile has on console games as they said f-off to woke shit. They know sex sells and uses it to their advantage. Consoles will eventually give you all the bad of mobile markeplace and couple it with ugly ladies and lecturing "the message"..... Its a horrible future

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The ad was not a fake, it was a "technical error"

-

Dont worry, Xbox home screen and boot up ads have been training you for this.

Ads on dash board and ads in the middle of playing a game aren't the same thing.

What is with the disingenuous correlation between the two here by multiple users?

Last edited:
Top Bottom