• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well do you think Far Cry MODs would be recieved?

FightyF

Banned
I'm sitting on the fence as to whether to go ahead with a UT 2003 MOD (which can be easily adapted to 2004), or to check out the Far Cry engine when the SDK engine is released (FYI it's been delayed from this week to an indefinate date).

Obvious benefits to the Far Cry engine are the graphics, specifically the bump-mapping, and lighting in general (because it's not like bump mapping automatically makes everything look good). I have no doubt that with the right artists a photorealistic look can be achieved. On the other hand, I dislike the lighting on static meshes in UT 2003/2004, I think that even it's vertex lighting looks bad. So it's not just the lack of bump mapping, it's also the way lighting is done in general.

Yet, I've coded mutators in UT 2003, I know the engine enough to get a lot done. With Far Cry I'd have to learn a lot over again.

Anyways, I want to ask the PC gamers here what they think. Online play is a big factor, and I don't think Far Cry's online gaming is as smooth as UT's. You need a powerful PC to run it, and by a year's time, I still think most people won't be able to run it that smoothly.

My biggest concern is that Far Cry will not reach the sales numbers to give it a substantial userbase that would try out new mods. Many Serious Sam mods were forced to reconsider moving to another engine not because of the lack of tools and help, but because there wasn't much interest for them.

I'm leaning towards UT 2003 because I plan to focus on having a running game out soon, and the graphics can be an afterthought that will be improved over iterations. A lot of people seem to be picking up UT 2004 as well. Once I have a version out, I can probably easily recruit an experience team that can port it to HL2/FarCry/whatever when the time comes.

There are advantages to a Far Cry mod... The scene won't be over-saturated, which means you will probably get more attention, and the challenge of working with the new engine are the two biggest drawcards.

I guess it depends on what type of mod you want to do... If you already have UT2003 experience, perhaps working with 2004 is the way to go.

SKluck

Banned
If it is good, no matter what game/engine it uses, it will find an audience.

Serious Sam wasn't that popular, but Farcry is popular enough so that you do have quite a large pool of potential players.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks for the input guys!

I've decided to go with UT 2003 (with a port to 2004, heck I should buy 2004 :)) because the biggest issues with MODs is that the great majority do not come into fruition. Since I have experience with UnrealScript, it means less headaches and a smoother dev process. Though I really don't like it's lighting, this can be overcome with some great texture work.

element

go out and buy UT2k4. Start with UT2k4.

Farcry is nice, but the tools are really different then anything out there, as far as compared to radient or unrealed.

Top Bottom