• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How xbox keeps winning E3 - Delayed Input with Kyle Bossman

I'm not so sure. This second half of this gen could be very different from the first half. Somehow Microsoft was able to overcome a shitton of bad PR and has generated more excitement with one showcase than anything Sony has presented in years. Sony and Microsoft are still competitors in the console market and after the Xbox showcase, I would not be a bit surprised to see Xbox win a couple of months or more in the US.

Sony just seems complacent right now. They just going to phone in the rest of this gen?
Lol win a couple months of this year? I hope you don’t mean console sales. I don’t think I’ve ever seen people hype an e3 show like this. It was a good show but man people need to relax.

See you in your new forum in 4 months :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
People talking about this show like it was life changing.
Seriously. Hyperbole really over a decent showcase. When it doesn’t translate to a better release schedule. Nor better sales.

Same stuff happened last year, then the holidays came. We know how that turned out.

One can be excited for Xbox’s games without it translating to jumping the gun. But, alas, it happens every. Single. Time.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Nintendo? Yes. Sony just has no games this gen, and the few they do are remasters or sequels. Unfortunately, there is no need for them to do much else nowadays.

So they are games you just don’t like what they are?

Edit: Helldivers 2, Astro Bot, Rift Apart and Returnal are all new so I disagree.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. This second half of this gen could be very different from the first half. Somehow Microsoft was able to overcome a shitton of bad PR and has generated more excitement with one showcase than anything Sony has presented in years. Sony and Microsoft are still competitors in the console market and after the Xbox showcase, I would not be a bit surprised to see Xbox win a couple of months or more in the US.

Sony just seems complacent right now. They just going to phone in the rest of this gen?

Not having a showcase doesn't mean complacency.

And Microsoft doing better than they have does not mean Sony will somehow not have great content.

This is the Microsoft all of us have wanted for years - if they deliver on their promise with Perfect Dark, Fable, Gears, etc. They certainly didn't deliver with Starfield or Hellblade 2. Let's be cautiously optimistic.

In the same timeframe MS has those titles Sony is going to have AstroBot, Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, the next Naughty Dog Game and likely something from Insomniac and Guerrilla.

coffinbirth

Funny that the Series S might be their snake in the grass this holiday season too.

Think about it, they could throw a $200(or cheaper?) Black Ops 6 themed bundle out there or some shit...they are gonna put up some numbers.

Seriously. Hyperbole really over a decent showcase. When it doesn’t translate to a better release schedule. Nor better sales.

Same stuff happened last year, then the holidays came. We know how that turned out.

One can be excited for Xbox’s games without it translating to jumping the gun. But, alas, it happens every. Single. Time.

Last holidays was great. This holidays is also set to potentially be great. Lots of stuff coming.

Why should anyone care about sales so long as the content is good. Do you only watch the highest grossing movies and only the highest ratings TV shows? Don’t listen to music unless it’s in the Billboard top lists? Do you watch a showcase and think “hmm that looks good but what will it sell”?

Weird

Ozriel

M$FT
We still didn’t see Sony‘s showcase. All we got was a state of play, who was clearly rather meant to fulfill some marketing obligations rather than creating hype. I am pretty sure Sony first wanted to see what XBOX is bringing and prepare a suitable answer for their showcase.

- A State of Play is still a showcase
- Sony is obviously planning another showcase for later this year to reveal and show off the PS5 Pro. They’ll focus on showing off first party and third party content that’s Pro enhanced, with excellent visuals. It has absolutely nothing to do with ‘waiting for Xbox to go first’.

I meant a real GOTY.

No. You mean just the TGAs. Which is frankly silly.

farmerboy

It doesnt even sound like a showcase is in the works for the Pro reveal (which I expected there would be)

And how do you suppose I get Cernys tech breakdown? Or would that be a separate thing.

I think we get a showcase when pro is announced, including reveals of new games.

Anything less than that and I'll start to have questions.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You don’t win anything when your platform is outsold 7:1 globally, your biggest showstopper is releasing on PS5 day one and your latest PS5 release is dominating sales charts on a rival platform.

MS became so big through the series of mergers that it’s basically big publisher with a weird console kink by default.

The war was over when the Activision deal was finished.

P.S. The video is spot-on, write up above is for this thread musings specifically.

Last edited:

Fredrik

NeoGAF should do their GotY from the year prior to remove the effect of the honeymoon period on poll results.
Good idea tbh, not only would the honeymoon phase be over but games would have time to get patched up too and people would have more time to play through more games.

Wouldn’t change much for me though. 2021 GOTY is still Metroid Dread. Halo Infinite is still a 7/10.
And Starfield is still my 2023 GOTY, it’s even better now and with 300+ hours played nothing came close for me. At first I thought Zelda TOTK would be my GOTY, I was absolutely blown away, but in the end I never even finished it. Historical honeymoon phase though!

Last edited:

PeteBull

If they made a show at E3 that was mostly multiplatform, they would have been thrashed. Now it's okay, cool!
Thats what i said when i saw those praising post about it on gaf.
I simply mentioned not even 1 exclusive was shown, hell not even 1 title had console exclusive put before it.
No idea why we should consider it win for xbox show when xbox doesnt get anything special.

To me it was great pc games show coz 100% games shown will be on pc, day 1, with better visuals/framerate too, great as pc owner but gives me 0 reason to even entertain owning an xbox(og xbox and x360 had given players plenty reasons to own- they were called high quality exclusive games :p)

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Sony is sitting just fine doing their thing.
Also, the main success story of the year called Helldivers 2 was never a showstopper. Helldivers 2 didn't 'won' any shows for Sony. And yet it is what it is, a smashing success and one of the biggest releases of 2024.

Maybe I'm like Kyle being a bit jaded but I would rather see MS not running it's mouth but actually delivering truly hit games without buying half of the industry in the process.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Last holidays was great. This holidays is also set to potentially be great. Lots of stuff coming.

Why should anyone care about sales so long as the content is good. Do you only watch the highest grossing movies and only the highest ratings TV shows? Don’t listen to music unless it’s in the Billboard top lists? Do you watch a showcase and think “hmm that looks good but what will it sell”?

Weird
Why do you care about Xbox enough to defend it the way you do? Does it pay your bills? Keep you alive?

Weird

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not having a showcase doesn't mean complacency.

And Microsoft doing better than they have does not mean Sony will somehow not have great content.

This is the Microsoft all of us have wanted for years - if they deliver on their promise with Perfect Dark, Fable, Gears, etc. They certainly didn't deliver with Starfield or Hellblade 2. Let's be cautiously optimistic.

In the same timeframe MS has those titles Sony is going to have AstroBot, Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, the next Naughty Dog Game and likely something from Insomniac and Guerrilla.

Didn't say Sony won't have great content. The games will come but just doesn't seem like Sony feels the need to put any fanfare behind them at this point. Hopefully it isn't complacency and they have a plan going forward to generate some excitement for PlayStation.

Kind of. Sony is sitting just fine doing their thing. Only place Xbox is winning is a few threads a year on Internet forums. Nowhere where it matters, likes sales.

We won't know that until we get more sales reports. I know that Xbox Series X is sold out completely in my area at Best Buy as well as on Amazon. Good be their showcase has made an impact. Not sure.

Lol win a couple months of this year? I hope you don’t mean console sales. I don’t think I’ve ever seen people hype an e3 show like this. It was a good show but man people need to relax.

Yes, I mean console sales, specfically in the US. I mean......I could be completely wrong and that's fine. Been wrong before. I'm just specualting and yeah.....I'm completely relaxed.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Didn't say Sony won't have great content. The games will come but just doesn't seem like Sony feels the need to put any fanfare behind them at this point. Hopefully it isn't complacency and they have a plan going forward to generate some excitement for PlayStation.

We won't know that until we get more sales reports. I know that Xbox Series X is sold out completely in my area at Best Buy as well as on Amazon. Good be their showcase has made an impact. Not sure.

Yes, I mean console sales. I mean......I could be completely wrong and that's fine. Been wrong before. I'm just specualting and yeah.....I'm completely relaxed.
They need something for pro. They will have something.

Yes, I mean console sales. I mean......I could be completely wrong and that's fine. Been wrong before. I'm just specualting and yeah.....I'm completely relaxed.
I really think you are exaggerating anecdotal evidence. On Amazon, the Xbox Series X is #91 on best sellers in gaming. In relation the PS5 digital is #60 and PS5 physical is #21. While Xbox had a great showcase, I highly doubt it will change Xbox sales numbers. Showcases cater to the diehard fan base, not casuals or your average gamer. People don't go out and spend 400$ on a console because of games that are coming out in the future. Xbox will most likely have to string together a couple years of consistent quality releases before they see big changes in their sales quota. It takes time to shift mindshare, especially this deep in the generation

Weird
Sales project the future. If Xbox console and game sales continue to spiral, their whole business will have to dramatically change, from hardware to gamepass.

And movies are in a terrible place. Everyone should be looking at sales, as it decides whether a movie is greenlit or not. Bad economics in movie industry is why we are seeing the oversaturation of super-hero movies and sequels and not original stories. Really ignorant to say that people shouldn't worry about sales

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I really think you are exaggerating anecdotal evidence. On Amazon, the Xbox Series X is #91 on best sellers in gaming. In relation the PS5 digital is #60 and PS5 physical is #21. While Xbox had a great showcase, I highly doubt it will change Xbox sales numbers. Showcases cater to the diehard fan base, not casuals or your average gamer. People don't go out and spend 400$ on a console because of games that are coming out in the future

Nah.....nothing I said was an exaggeration. I stated factual observations on the current availability of Xbox Series X. Very well could be they are inconsequential though. Valid point on the sales ranking (although hard to increase rank when not available) which is why I am not referencing Amazon alone , but yes could be this is anecdotal and Xbox isn't getting any bump in sales at all. That's why I plainly said that I could be wrong and we will have to wait for sales reports.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So they are games you just don’t like what they are?

Edit: Helldivers 2, Astro Bot, Rift Apart and Returnal are all new so I disagree.
Oh I LOVE Ratchet and Clank, but Sony, like many other developers, are risk averse and mostly stick to sequels and remasters. Long gone are the days of Mark of Kri, Legend of Dragoon and SOCOM.

Hopefully, Microsoft’s new awakening that games matter, pushes Sony to take more risks. Although, I do understand that given the size of Sony, they can’t take as many of said risks. Maybe things will change next gen. Meanwhile, we still have Nintendo!

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Oh I LOVE Ratchet and Clank, but Sony, like many other developers, are risk averse and mostly stick to sequels and remasters. Long gone are the days of Mark of Kri, Legend of Dragoon and SOCOM.

Hopefully, Microsoft’s new awakening that games matter, pushes Sony to take more risks. Although, I do understand that given the size of Sony, they can’t take as many of said risks. Maybe things will change next gen. Meanwhile, we still have Nintendo!
What risks have Nintendo taken?

And there’s a reason companies are sticking to what works. We’re no longer an industry that risk-to-failure is an option in any kind of moderate to high capacity. It’s exactly why Nintendo sticks to what works for them as well.

Last edited:
Microsoft had a few decent E3 showings during the Xbox One days, but we all know how that went when it came to actually delivering to the consumers. And it had massive ripple effects into this generation.

Why do you care about Xbox enough to defend it the way you do? Does it pay your bills? Keep you alive?

Weird

Why do some of you constantly confuse everything with “defending” something. I asked a legitimate question. Not every thread is a battlefield, at ease.

Weird

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
at a face value the showcase was an absolute win and it's overwhelming positive reaction puts pressure on Sony to be better. But when you actually analyze behind the bullshit... you realize is the same: "trust me bro, I will deliver".It is crazy to think that "wait until next year" is still alive and kicking.

Sales project the future. If Xbox console and game sales continue to spiral, their whole business will have to dramatically change, from hardware to gamepass.

And movies are in a terrible place. Everyone should be looking at sales, as it decides whether a movie is greenlit or not. Bad economics in movie industry is why we are seeing the oversaturation of super-hero movies and sequels and not original stories. Really ignorant to say that people shouldn't worry about sales

My post didn’t say sales don’t matter or that you should never think/worry about sales. It was in the context of E3/showcases. Why would it matter whether a game is going to be a top seller or not if the game looks good or ends up being good.

By his logic, you should only be excited about a movie or a movie should only matter if it’s going to be one of those “super hero or sequels” that will have hundreds of millions in revenue.

Movies in general have been in a terrible place for decades. It’s better now with streaming platforms.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
so you want them to announce games 5 years in advance like xbox?
No I want them to show at least 1 game that's been in development since 2018/19 with a follow gameplay deep dive the year after and a release date for holiday season.
At least one studio should be showing something 4/5 years after their last project

Like with every game release before 2021.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Thing is, yea Nintendo is basically a no show, though I suppose it counts if they do it at the end of the month? But just ask yourself...do you think it's going to be anywhere as good as Xbox's show. IMO and prediction, probably not. The only way this happens is if they reveal Switch 2 and a healthy amount of launch games that include a mainline Mario, hardware that will be friendly for 3rd party support and remains a dockable handheld.

In Sony's case, they shot their shot and it was...comparatively speaking...a dud. That's not Xbox winning by default...that's Xbox winning because Sony either is barely trying or they are holding all their cards for a Pro announcement and launch titles. My bet is on the latter. This is not the year for Sony to blow our socks off. That's likely December of this year heading into 2025. Which is somewhat awkward because...we are expecting the Pro this year so maybe Sony will have a surprise show after TGS maybe? I'm confused on where they slot this announcement. Doing it at the TGAs would be a bit late for the Christmas rush.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Why do some of you constantly confuse everything with “defending” something. I asked a legitimate question. Not every thread is a battlefield, at ease.

Weird
I was doing what you were doing - asking questions that should be easy to answer. It’s not a “battlefield”. You defend a specific brand. A lot. Not a bad thing if that’s what you like.

As to the question of sales - yes, I’m interested. I prefer an industry that thrives. Nothing weird about that.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
What risks have Nintendo taken?

And there’s a reason companies are sticking to what works. We’re no longer an industry that risk-to-failure is an option in any kind of moderate to high capacity. It’s exactly why Nintendo sticks to what works for them as well.
Nintendo takes risks almost every generation with a new play style console for the user. They have also escaped the industry issue with their lower spec'd consoles that are high margin and low cost, while keeping the cost of software development down compared to the competition. I remember posting about how genius this was back when the Wii was announced and being laughed at. People tend to have very short term view of the world. For instance, the era of dedicated video game consoles will come to an end within the next 15 years.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nintendo takes risks almost every generation with a new play style console for the user. They have also escaped the industry issue with their lower spec'd consoles that are high margin and low cost, while keeping the cost of software development down compared to the competition. I remember posting about how genius this was back when the Wii was announced and being laughed at. People tend to have very short term view of the world. For instance, the era of dedicated video game consoles will come to an end within the next 15 years.
I actually don’t see what they’re doing as risky. They put together a platform that played to their strengths. Not necessarily genius, but it was certainly a wise move.

But the discussion was on software. I don’t see their latest offerings as risky either.

K' Dash

Gold Member
People talking about this show like it was life changing.

it's the context:

it's been a while since MS delivered a decent show and also Sony seems to not give a shit anymore.

IMHO iterations this gen have been worse than the last ones: Ragnarok, Spidey, Ratchet, Horizon are all worse games than their predecesors. Also cross gen everything has made it hard for us to have a real, true next gen jewel and that's 4 years in.

To put it on a few short words: Sony is lacking and that is making Xbox look better.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It was easy to get hyped for e3 now people are lost at when the conferences are, they’re trying to hide the conferences on their own networks, streaming sites and times people are lost if e3 comes back Sony is going off and we know if e3 comes back there’s pressure on Microsoft.

Zannegan

Gold Member
I actually don’t see what they’re doing as risky. They put together a platform that played to their strengths. Not necessarily genius, but it was certainly a wise move.

But the discussion was on software. I don’t see their latest offerings as risky either.
Splatoon and Ring Fit are pretty off the wall. Arms and Labo too (though they weren't exactly screaming successes). BotW and TotK were significant departures for their series, as was Mario Wonder to a lesser degree.

But if you look at their output next to everyone else's that's where you really see the risk. Nintendo games are pretty distinct in the AAA space, visually and otherwise. Sure, it works for them, and they have a dedicated
audience, but an established brand IP and nostalgia aren't a guarantee of success (just ask Sonic and, lately, Master Chief). They had to take some pretty large leaps of faith to get to where they are, and, while you're guaranteed to see certain IP every gen, they do keep innovating on those in large and small ways.

For better and for worse, they march to the beat of their own drum. It's what makes them so fun to watch in an industry that is gradually descending into homogeny.

To put it on a few short words: Sony is lacking and that is making Xbox look better.
Sounds like the Xbox 360 story, on a much smaller scale, or the Xbox One story in reverse. Alas for MS, those happened at the beginning of a generation when it mattered.

mdkirby

It doesnt even sound like a showcase is in the works for the Pro reveal (which I expected there would be)
It feels like they’ve given up doing packed unfocused shows in favour of more singular focussed smaller drops scattered throughout the year. Gives all the oxygen to one or two games for each showing. Would astrobot have received all the attention it did if they had shown it alongside multiple big ticket 1st party games? Probably not.

My guess is they have hard data on viewing figures, hype and subsequent downloads that tells them this model is more effective for them (and cheaper)…even if it’s much less exciting for enthusiasts

Killer8

Xbox tend to 'win' showcase wars because the people who put them together seem to have relatively good taste and a finger on the pulse of what the hardcore players actually want to see. Their lineup isn't actually that amazing, they just know which third party games to show and what indie games look good enough to get people's tongues waggling.

When you break it down, most of what is shown is either a) straight up multi-platform, b) a timed-exclusive release or c) inevitably going to be multi-platform via Project Latitude. But it makes for a nice showcase and so that is what they will be rated on. Sony on the other hand can't put together a good presentation to save their lives. They're either too short, too light on first party content or are filled to the brim with shit no one cares about except Resetera and Men_In_Boxes.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Splatoon and Ring Fit are pretty off the wall. Arms and Labo too (though they weren't exactly screaming successes). BotW and TotK were significant departures for their series, as was Mario Wonder to a lesser degree.

But if you look at their output next to everyone else's that's where you really see the risk. Nintendo games are pretty distinct in the AAA space, visually and otherwise. Sure, it works for them, and they have a dedicated
audience, but an established brand IP and nostalgia aren't a guarantee of success (just ask Sonic and, lately, Master Chief). They had to take some pretty large leaps of faith to get to where they are, and, while you're guaranteed to see certain IP every gen, they do keep innovating on those in large and small ways.

For better and for worse, they march to the beat of their own drum. It's what makes them so fun to watch in an industry that is gradually descending into homogeny.

Sounds like the Xbox 360 story, on a much smaller scale, or the Xbox One story in reverse. Alas for MS, those happened at the beginning of a generation when it mattered.
I feel like they all march to their own beat despite keeping an eye on the competition. They still all do what works for them and have deviated very little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom