• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary |OT| It's Pronounced "Hotaru no Nikki"

Yasumi

Banned
Q816kRC.jpg

Developed by Nippon Ichi Software
Published by NIS America
Genre: Puzzle
Platforms: Playstation Vita
Price: $14.99 (Digital)
Install Size: 634MB

m9zsf0J.jpg

Within a dilapidated shed in the utmost depths of a dark ruin, Mion's eyes fluttered open.

She didn't know why she was here, or where "here" even was. Her body trembled with bewildered confusion.

When she finally noticed me, she must have sensed the sincerity of my intentions, and followed after me with relieved steps.

I must get her out of this place.

A savage world lies beyond the walls of this shed. The looming shadows of scrap metal will almost certainly crush Mion.

But I can stop the shadows. I can lead Mion out of here, to the world above.

After all, I have reasons to lead this child...

DULeuOu.jpg

cuYw7cz.jpg
HpaXLUa.png

A young girl who awoke in the ruins suffering from amnesia.
Follows Lumen's light as she makes her way through the ruins.

L05zt8a.jpg
Bqev7XX.png

A firefly who is leading Mion to the outside world.
Her motive is unclear, and her reason for helping Mion remains a mystery.

NJo8SIa.jpg
tadiwGs.png

The other firefly that Mion meets as she ventures through the ruins.
This mysterious firefly travels through shadows to provide Mion with additional aid.

0TUHsTm.jpg

f944abb3-b13b-4c12-8946-def3d9270206.jpg

The gameplay involves controlling Lumen to guide Mion through the decrepit ruins that she woke up in. Mion will follow Lumen to the best of her ability, so you need to be aware of what she's doing at all times.

You can tap Mion with Lumen to make her sit on the ground, ensuring she won't wander after you, possibly getting herself killed. You can also tap objects to have Mion interact with them, such as switches, ladders, and other things.

Umbra appears a little after Lumen. Umbra allows you to interact with objects beyond Mion's grasp by traveling through the shadows. This way, you can trip distant switches, activate pistons, or detonate bombs without putting Mion in harms way. Action pauses while Umbra is being controlled.

pG9d8oI.jpg

There are three methods of control in the game:

Option A- Control Lumen with the front touch screen, and tap the back touch screen to activate and control Umbra.

Option B- Control Lumen with the front touch screen, and tap the small purple icon in the top right of the screen to control Umbra, also with the front touch. The back touch screen is not used.

Option C- Use the face buttons to control Lumen and Umbra. Neither touch screen is used.

bMUt0Vl.jpg

English Trailer 1
English Trailer 2

Japanese Read-Along Movie (Eng Subbed) #1 *Spoilers*
Japanese Read-Along Movie (Eng Subbed) #2 *Spoilers*
Japanese Read-Along Movie (Eng Subbed) #3 *Spoilers*

JZNoLEt.jpg

Where can I buy this game?
Physical: NIS America sold physical copies through their online store. They're currently out of stock, but it's possible they might get more in the future.
Digital: Link (NA)
Digital: Link (EU)

Is this game like Limbo?
Not really. It does have the same sort of morbid "kid exploring the unknown and being brutally murdered" esthetic, but they play totally differently. You don't directly control Mion, you control the firefly and Mion follows. Your goal is to protect her as she explores the ruins.

Why does this game get such bad reviews?
It's very hard. You play as a helpless firefly guiding a helpless girl through dangerous environments, it doesn't hold your hand at all, and expects you keep trying until you succeed. Some people don't like that.

Is it touch only? A review I read said it is.
No, there are button controls. Go into the options and touch the arrow to the right of the BGM and SFX stuff. Option C is physical controls.

AP7u7vg.jpg

maouvin

Nice OT Yasumi!

God knows when I'll get my LE ( ._.)

And so many people will make the questions you answered on the FAQ~

Isotope

Even if the game is very unforgiving, I'm enjoying it. I will say though the part where you have to
move Lumen through that maze in Chapter 2 before Mion gets killed destroyed me

jonno394

I should be receiving the LE in about two weeks ( I live in the UK), looks fantastic. I bought it based just on the cheap price and amazing artwork. At $30 I can't complain if its not amazing, the set alone is worth the price of entry!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, my OT subtitle suggestion got used.

Finished Chapter 1 & for the most part, I'm finding it decent, but I can see why some reviewers were having issue with the controls. Dealing with moving & climbing boxes can be quite cumbersome, even with the analog controls.

Might listen to the OST soon, but I might wait to beat the game before looking at the artbook....I mean "vi&ual a@bq" (no seriously, that's what it says, yet the OST is still called "Official Soundtrack").

Great OT, Yasumi!

Really liking this game so far, especially the art. But I can also see why the critics don't like it as much.

As a general forewarning, the artbook and CD tracks both have minor spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Also, does anyone know how to get the sprout in 2-3? Any help would be appreciated.

edit;
I just realized what you have to do for 2-3:

Raise the last part of the upper conveyor belt so that you fall down. Of course, I still have to survive to the end of the upper path... Don't quite have the timing right on the last two crushers.

I'll have to try this, I guess. Do you mean the very last section you fall rather
than lowering the conveyor belt to stay on the upper track
? Also, is this kind of thing really a spoiler?

I'm really intrigued by this game, but I'm not sold on it. I'm afraid it won't be satisfying to play and especially unsatisfying to fail, regardless of how often.

Do you mean the very last section you fall rather
than lowering the conveyor belt to stay on the upper track
? Also, is this kind of thing really a spoiler?

No, the
very last piece of the conveyor belt directly above the sprout needs to be raised rather than lowered.

I didn't know how exactly to do this at the time of my last post, but it turns out there is a hidden switch in the ceiling above it.

I would say that counts as a spoiler.

finch

No, the
very last piece of the conveyor belt directly above the sprout needs to be raised rather than lowered.

I didn't know how exactly to do this at the time of my last post, but it turns out there is a hidden switch in the ceiling above it.

I would say that counts as a spoiler.

Ahhh! Thanks for this! It's the last one i need and i couldn't figure it out.

Enjoyed what I played of the game last night although I was disappointed that the little sprite doesn't actually crumple or get affected by the terrible traps. Just a bit of blood jelly across the screen>_>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Enjoyed what I played of the game last night although I was disappointed that the little sprite doesn't actually crumple or get affected by the terrible traps. Just a bit of blood jelly across the screen>_>
Yeah, considering the game is rated CERO D aka M in Japan, I was expecting the deaths to be a bit more......detailed. Then again, the T rating might've hinted it wasn't as gruesome as expected.

SerTapTap

Mion is too cute I don't think I could deal with Limbo-style deaths

Yeah, considering the game is rated CERO D aka M in Japan, I was expecting the deaths to be a bit more......detailed. Then again, the T rating might've hinted it wasn't as gruesome as expected.

I think Japan is just kind of weird about violence compared to the US. Infamous is Cero Z because of violence against civilians bumps it up despite the tame depictions of actual injury/death.

Yasumi

Banned
So according to the PSN store update, $14.99 is the official digital price.

Could've sworn I remembered seeing that it was going to be $19.99 digitally, but whatever. $15 is a good impulse price.

Busaiku

Came in just a little bit ago.
Probably won't play it any time soon, and honestly not too hyped for it, but I said I'd be there day 1 if we got a physical version.
Everything's definitely adorable though.

nampad

Thanks for telling me how to pronounce the game. Those Japanese game titles can get quite difficult.
Will probably buy this game, not sure what control scheme to use. The reviewers really seem to dislike the touch one but I guess it is the way the developers designed the game?

Yasumi

Banned
Thanks for telling me how to pronounce the game. Those Japanese game titles can get quite difficult.
Will probably buy this game, not sure what control scheme to use. The reviewers really seem to dislike the touch one but I guess it is the way the developers designed the game?

I recommend Option B. I'd sometimes accidentally activate Umbra with A, and C didn't really have the immersive feeling of controlling Lumen with your own finger.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I forgot about this game but it's right up my alley. No retail version though unless ordering from the U.S. store? *sigh* I'll pass

SerTapTap

Got the LE today:

Since A and C don't overlap at all I'd really prefer a control scheme where you can use either touch or stick at will without going into the menu. No issues controlling it yet though. Goodness forbid a puzzle game is hard...

I'm only a couple screens in but
when she picks up the bunny doll and it crumbles into dust :(

I forgot about this game but it's right up my alley. No retail version though unless ordering from the U.S. store? *sigh* I'll pass

It's only $15 digital. Would be lame to miss out for that reason

I will say though the part where you have to
move Lumen through that maze in Chapter 2 before Mion gets killed destroyed me

That looked horrible when I saw it for the first time. But, it turns out,
the time limit doesn't really matter because you die right away if you make a mistake
. Very generous checkpoints too.

As for the chapter 2 boss... Yeah, you have to die a lot to figure this guy out. I don't think it's going to be too excessive, though.

Puru

Finished it (no lifed it).

I don't feel it deserved to be bashed as it was.
Control issues are way overblown, the only real issues i personally think mattered were
the firefly mazes
and
aiming with plants, the only way i found to make them stop following lumen was moving far far away
. I agree that Mion is slow though, doesn't make the game hard to control at all but it's sometime annoying to wait for her.

Visual/Music/Atmosphere are pretty good, that clearly is the strongest point of the game.
Story felt really simple and... well it was strange in a good way i guess.
Puzzles were okish, they weren't boring with the exception of
the quizz boss, is that thing even possible without any mistake?
and were varied, but nothing outstanding either. I felt it lasted as much as it should have.

It was a decent game overall, some annoying things but with the exception of
the mazes(really it shouldn't have been so strict)
it really didn't bother me that much. For the price i'm satisfied.
Mion died alot but clearly not as much as lumen.

I don't think i'll plat it, there's some trophies i don't see myself do without losing my sanity.

Yasumi

Banned
Got my shipping notification last night, which says the shipping label was created. Going from Texas to Canada, I'm expecting sometime next week.

Puzzles were okish, they weren't boring with the exception of
the quizz boss, is that thing even possible without any mistake?
and were varied, but nothing outstanding either. I felt it lasted as much as it should have.

For the quiz, I used the camera on my iPod to capture video, then checked the footage frame-by-frame. Still didn't get perfect.

Also, did you get the true ending?

Puru

Got my shipping notification last night, which says the shipping label was created. Going from Texas to Canada, I'm expecting sometime next week.

For the quiz, I used the camera on my iPod to capture video, then checked the footage frame-by-frame. Still didn't get perfect.

Also, did you get the true ending?

Yeah, to be honest the giant door caught my attention as soon as i saw it so i wasn't really surprised. Final boss took me so much time because i didn't tried to destroy the buds lol, i felt so stupid

Kuro

Stage 2's boss is bullshit.
No set pattern and random falling debris. Why did they think that would be a good idea?

Stage 2's boss is bullshit.
No set pattern and random falling debris. Why did they think that would be a good idea?

There is a visual cue to show where the debris will fall, but it is definitely too random. It is even possible to get caught in an inescapable pattern between falling debris to the left and an imminent boss attack to the right.

Basically, you need to play this boss very conservatively because there are so many ways for things to go wrong.

SerTapTap

I looked in the artbook but there were spoilers (
I saw the chapter 1 boss
), is that the only/worst spoiler? Should I not look at the rest until I play? I'm excited to play but I'm too close to finishing Dangan Ronpa 2 so it'll have to wait a day or two

Kuro

Even when I get to the point where it
shoots the missle I'll either get hit by debris trying to get under the cover or was pushed back so far that I accidentally trigger the tnt drop and it takes too much time to get around it to get to cover. its like the devs didn't even play their own game.

Even when I get to the point where it
shoots the missle I'll either get hit by debris trying to get under the cover or was pushed back so far that I accidentally trigger the tnt drop and it takes too much time to get around it to get to cover. its like the devs didn't even play their own game.

But
an extra cover drops right next to you before the missile launches
. Also, note that
the cover is tilted to the right, so it won't shield from an explosion on the left...

SerTapTap

Should I try to hug all the stuffed bunnies or? I got one that seemed to be a forced event, then I saw a second on the wall later but even standing right in front of it I couldn't get it

Should I try to hug all the stuffed bunnies or? I got one that seemed to be a forced event, then I saw a second on the wall later but even standing right in front of it I couldn't get it

If you want. It's mostly tied to a trophy and an event from one of the sprouts, but it's up to you I think. Although, I'm not at the end, so I'm not sure if it affects anything there.

But if you want help getting the second one
you need to stack the boxes to reach it.

SerTapTap

If you want. It's mostly tied to a trophy and an event from one of the sprouts, but it's up to you I think. Although, I'm not at the end, so I'm not sure if it affects anything there.

But if you want help getting the second one
you need to stack the boxes to reach it.

Oh, I was wondering if it was possible at all or if the first was scripted and the other one was cosmetic or something. Is there like a level select that shows progress for all this stuff? I'll try and collect them but I'll probably give up if any are super hard.

Oh, I was wondering if it was possible at all or if the first was scripted and the other one was cosmetic or something. Is there like a level select that shows progress for all this stuff? I'll try and collect them but I'll probably give up if any are super hard.

Oh, yeah, all of the rabbits are reachable in that level. The level select screen only shows your progress with the sprouts.

Top Bottom