• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Weekly Bundle: Gamemaker (ever thought about getting into game dev?)

zulux21

If you're really interested, just jump in with the Make A Game With No Experience tutorial series I posted earlier. Tom Francis is a mad man and he's very entertaining. I learned most of what I know from that series, and you can get through it relatively quick. It's a lot of fun

I very well might when I have some time. I've been meaning to create some games at some point (thus why I buy every bundle lol) but I lack the focus. Doesn't help I also write in my free time and at some point want to finish my main novel and thus when i start working on a game my brain goes... you should write... you should write... ect >.<;

Cptkrush

I very well might when I have some time. I've been meaning to create some games at some point (thus why I buy every bundle lol) but I lack the focus. Doesn't help I also write in my free time and at some point want to finish my main novel and thus when i start working on a game my brain goes... you should write... you should write... ect >.<;

How cool would it be if you wrote a novel that tied into your game though :p

I've been trying to register Gamemaker on the website, but the form to sign up for an account seems busy. Guessing there's a lot of bundle traffic. Oh well, gives me a reason to focus on other things! :)

So um, how friendly is this to someone who's programming knowledge amounts to telling the computer to do simple math and print ASCII cats in C++?

OmegaDL50

So Gamemaker is good for 2D, and Unity is better for 3D...but Gamemaker is easier to learn.

I wonder how easy it would be to create a staged based platformer in the vein of the classic Castlevania titles using Gamemaker?

I always wanted to make a derivative of a Castlevania style game, but I don't have knowledge of any programming languages or know how to code.

zulux21

How cool would it be if you wrote a novel that tied into your game though :p

That could be fun some day, but alas my main novel would not be a good choice for a game. Despite being originally steeped in a japanese shonen like idea it kind of evolved into a much more character driven thing which would be unfitting of a game.

Beyond that I have worked on designing the rpg mechanics I would want for something like that and well.... it would not be a good first project lol. In fact I imagine a much better idea for me would be to work on the combat system and since it's based on scalable math design something like an endless fighter first lol. (yay time killers on android devices)

I mean I know I was talking of clones, but ideally if I was to sit down and create games I would create something that I wanted to play that doesn't quite exist. That being said, trying to recreate something doesn't seem like bad practice :p

Cptkrush

So Gamemaker is good for 2D, and Unity is better for 3D...but Gamemaker is easier to learn.

I wonder how easy it would be to create a staged based platformer in the vein of the classic Castlevania titles using Gamemaker?

I always wanted to make a derivative of a Castlevania style game, but I don't have knowledge of any programming languages or know how to code.
I'm actually working on something like this off and on and it really isn't that hard. One way platforms were a bit tough, but I eventually triumphed.

BTA

Might as well pick this up. Been wanting to do a very tiny 2D puzzle-ish thing lately and at my level of inexperience it'd probably work better in this than messing with Unity 2D again.

I'm really, really happy with Game Maker Studio. I've been able to port my game to XBox One with no trouble, Android TV Platforms with ease, and Wii U with, uh, minor issues. Which is impressive considering GMS doesn't support Wii U natively.

I paid a lot more than what they're asking, and I've never regretted it.

zulux21

I'm really, really happy with Game Maker Studio. I've been able to port my game to XBox One with no trouble, Android TV Platforms with ease, and Wii U with, uh, minor issues. Which is impressive considering GMS doesn't support Wii U natively.

YfW9PU8.png
hehe I own your game and I might even have an extra key for it, though I have a bundle problem >.>

It's nice to hear input about how effect it was porting it around though.

Luigiv

Yeah pretty much. that's the brief of it. GameMaker is definitely a better place to start for someone with no programming experience. Basic programming can be done in graphical blocks that represent the inbuilt functions and all tasks are divided into discrete events selectable from a menu. It's all very intuitive and simple to grasp. Eventually you will hit a dead end with the blocks and will need to actually write some proper scripts but scripting in GM is still much simpler than most other engines.

By default you can't really do anything in Unity without punching out some real, full fat code. Of course, like GameMaker, there are a lot of inbuilt functions that greatly simplify things but you still need basic C# or Python coding knowledge to get even basic movement done. No blocks for you. That said, you can simplify things further by installing a third party extensions that let you script in graphical state machines (like play maker, which I use) but I find that's still a bit counter intuitive vs what you can do in GM.

Platformers are actually kind of complicated to program, even in GameMaker. I mean, they're not super difficult but you'll need a good bit of experience and familiarity with the engine's collision system under your belt first before you can tackle one. You'll need to start with top down games first.

fertygo

I don't know if I'm really gonna made something from this but fuck it, I get 12 bucks tier

Maybe I gonna made something like top down Stealth game like old school Metal Gear if I manage to get good grasp from this.

Here's the Q&A for the source codes of each of the games in the bundle.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=152

take a read if you want.

If there's enough interest i'll create a game maker game competition thread for the month of October. why now? Give new people enough time to learn the tool.

or just wait until October or don't do one?

also theme would be Halloween because someone has to make a costume quest 3. :p

Cptkrush

I think an October competition would be great! definitely make a thread now because it gives people more exposure to this deal, and a chance to learn the engine.

An October competition would be awesome. I don't know that I'd participate (in the middle of a bunch of life events at the moment) but I think it would be cool to have that, and/or possibly some kind of a Community thread for newbie/hobbyist devs (like the indie-dev thread, but for people that aren't pro yet like zeboyd, absinthe, feep, etc.)

I think an October competition would be great! definitely make a thread now because it gives people more exposure to this deal, and a chance to learn the engine.

An October competition would be awesome. I don't know that I'd participate (in the middle of a bunch of life events at the moment) but I think it would be cool to have that, and/or possibly some kind of a Community thread for newbie/hobbyist devs (like the indie-dev thread, but for people that aren't pro yet like zeboyd, absinthe, feep, etc.)

alright. give me a few. writing up the thread and will post later today or tomorrow!

Cptkrush

Like a learn together thread? That would be pretty great, I would definitely contribute to a thread like that regularly. I'm very much still learning haha

Seems like their site is being hammered. Just bought the bundle and can't even log in. Had a rough time registering too.

edit: I guess my game making beginning will have to wait for now. I'm already in the "I don't know what I'm doing" category so I don't really mind.

Eila

What are the limitations of GameMaker Standard? Do you have less tools, or it's just the fee when you monetize your game?

Cptkrush

Since a few people have asked here, this is what the game maker website lists as the differences between the free and pro version. The biggest thing about this deal is that the android export module is usually 300 bucks, so it's worth going in at 12 if you even remotely think you'll ever want to publish an android game.

LKW2dGz.png

*Note that Pro also comes with Mac OS and Linux exports as well.

So how is the positional audio stuff in Game Maker Studio? Haven't made a game before but I want to make something that relies heavily on positional audio for game play. I don't know if I would benefit from using something more complex like FMod or if that would even integrate with GMS.

Cptkrush

Here's a post from the RPS comments section from the creator of DRM about the usage of his source code:
RobF says:

Thanks for the post <3

I haven't actually got the bundle myself yet (I really am that skint at the mo) but I've had a read of the forums and it seems there's some sort of weirdy "cover all bases license" stuff that YoYo are using. Which I understand and it's fine, I get they've got a bundle to sell and other devs won't be quite as comfortable as I am with folks fiddling.

BUT. For the avoidance of doubt, if anyone makes anything from the source code or with the assets, even if that anything is just changing my name on the title screen to theirs then I am absolutely cool with this. If folks want to gut it entirely and use it as the base for their stuff, I am fine with this. If you have the source code from Humble then it's OK to use it for whatever you want and honestly, if it leads to a load of bizarre-o-world attempts at putting DRM on Android and charging £900 for them, I'll just laugh my head off at that. Make stuff for fun, sell stuff. I don't care! More power to anyone who can.

And for folks who might just want to rag out the assets and make their own thing with them, I'll be uploading them to my site later. There's a few games out there that use some of my old stuff to give folks a head start and that's always cheered me up.

(Plus, one of the unwritten bonuses of having the source code out there is that if folks disagree with one of my design decisions, they can just go in and change them if they want)

Also, I'd watch where you're putting those things. They're slippery buggers. I mean just look at the mess here. It's awful.
Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/18/death-ray-manta-steam/

Cptkrush

The account portion of the site isn't working so I can't activate my Pro version, right?

Correct, I'm personally waiting out the mad rush because I've seen people talk about losing their key because the site crashed mid registration. I'm sure they'll get it back, but better not to risk it.

Cmagus

I'm not sure how the humble bundle stuff works but if I pay $6.00 or more I get a key for the full pro version or is that key an upgrade to something?

I'm not sure how the humble bundle stuff works but if I pay $6.00 or more I get a key for the full pro version or is that key an upgrade to something?

$6 gets you a key for the full pro version, yeah. $12 gets you the key for the full pro version and the android export module, which lets you port your games to that platform.

shaowebb

Just bought...its a no brainer of a deal. Seriously great stuff.

One hang up for me now though...I would love to play around with this, but Game Maker's site requires I register with them and then they give me a link to click for my steam stuff. Thing is their site has been trying to register me for an HOUR already because its getting hammered with folks for this. Gonna have to be patient and wait till it eases up to register for my stuff I guess. Worth the wait though. Killer deal. Hell Rivals of Aether uses this engine now. Its come a looooooooong way.

Niiice, bought my first humble bundle with this actually. Was suprised to see a payment option linked to amazon instead of it just forcing you to create another account :0. Anyways, hopefully I can muster up the willpower to do SOMETHING with gamemaker pro :/

Joco

How easy is Gamemaker to use if you have no artistic ability? I'd love to try making a basic platformer or a top down shooter or something but I can't draw or create graphics for the life of me.

MiszMasz

How easy is Gamemaker to use if you have no artistic ability? I'd love to try making a basic platformer or a top down shooter or something but I can't draw or create graphics for the life of me.

About as easy as anything else, basically. You need to provide your own. Though this bundle comes with some pre-made assets, there are free game art sites around and/or while you're designing, coding and testing, you can just use placeholder, basic art for most stuff until you're ready to refine and improve things.

zulux21

Man, I really should pick this up - the question is would I ever do anything with it...hmm..

my thoughts are this.

If I do do something with it I have $400 of software to be able to make an android/pc game on an engine that is supposed to be solid.

if I don't, well i gave $12 to an awesome cause which could aid in more of these bundles in the future so people who might do something with future bundles can get them and make games.

plus wouldn't it really suck if two years from now you sit down to make a game, figure out gamemaker is best for what you want to do, and remember you skipped this bundle :p?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Bought this. I've always been interested in making my own game but I have no idea what to do. I played about with RPG maker a little but didnt get far.

Can't activate my code or log in. Looks like they are under heavy traffic.

Your game looks fantastic. And that music... did you compose or hire someone? I love the overall aesthetics. It's inspiring to me (the music especially, as someone influenced by Boards of Canada, Röyksopp and DJ Shadow).

That game actually looks interesting, I might have to get it later at some point. :)

Just makes me more excited to get to work, I have a few ideas I want to put to the test!

LewieP

I didn't know console ports for Love were a thing! That's great. I like it a lot

F-Pina

Yo gaffers.
We don't exactly have some deep info on the source code we released with this Humble Bundle but I recently made available the design document, story and some other stuff. It's mainly in Portuguese, but since the Design Doc itself is in English, it might help you guys out fleshing out your ideas - here

Noaloha

Is Wasteland Kings supposed to only run in a small 400x300ish window? I can't find a way to bump up the window size or fullscreen it.

Mephala

What coding language is used in Gamemaker? I've been considering tinkering something so this seems like a good place to start.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Their servers are still hammered. I can actually log on now but can't redeem codes.

Can't log in to the actual program. Will try again later.

Top Bottom