• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YoYo Games announces Game Maker Studio: Export to Consoles function (PS4, PS3, Vita)

Thanks! Yeah definitely check out GMS, I can't recommend it enough.

Also it's kind of weird in that the game is playable on PS4, but I haven't announced that it's actually coming to PS4, haha. Hopefully all will go well in the approval process.

how did that work? Did they just ask your permission for something they were gonna show at gdc?

This clearly means we can expect a CSD: Super Size Me! edition right? ;)

(personally feel like the days required to progress could be tuned down a little, and more foods!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Awww.... :( I really wanted to try and make a game but I got no monies to get a Vita Dev kit.

Sony has a free dev kit loaner program. Apply and ask about it! :D

I will buy your game when it comes on PS4.

Thanks!

how did that work? Did they just ask your permission for something they were gonna show at gdc?

This clearly means we can expect a CSD: Super Size Me! edition right? ;)

(personally feel like the days required to progress could be tuned down a little, and more foods!)

YoYo asked if I was interested in providing a build for GDC, so I worked like mad to get a controller version of the game running. I coded from 11am to 5am at one point. It was crazy, but so worth it.

Yeah, definitely want to keep improving the game!

Korten

Banned
Sony has a free dev kit loaner program. Apply and ask about it! :D

Is that like Nintendo's? Cause if I recall, that's like they will loan you a dev kit for like a couple of months and then you need to pay like... 1 thousand to 2 thousand dollars?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is that like Nintendo's? Cause if I recall, that's like they will loan you a dev kit for like a couple of months and then you need to pay like... 1 thousand to 2 thousand dollars?

Not really sure. Last I heard one of the higher Sony ups said something like, "we have loaner programs for dev kits, but so far we haven't charged for a single one." I'd assume as long as you're using it, you're good. But I'm just speculating.

FyreWulff

Interesting. A couple of games I worked on were Game Maker based, this would make it really easy to re-visit them for a PS3/4 port.

Raonak

Banned
Fuck man. As a user of gamemaker studio and a playstation fan, this is awesome :D

I always dreamed of playing my games on Vita. It might actually come true one day.
kk7itIf.gif

-shameless self promotion here-

Damaniel

Banned
Not really sure. Last I heard one of the higher Sony ups said something like, "we have loaner programs for dev kits, but so far we haven't charged for a single one." I'd assume as long as you're using it, you're good. But I'm just speculating.

This was my impression as well - they're out there and they technically cost money, but anybody who's actually doing something constructive with them doesn't actually have to pay.

I'd say that it's never been a better time to get something in the hands of Sony and show your game's potential. Not that GameMaker is code-free by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure you could prototype just about any 2D game idea in GameMaker far quicker than you could in something like Unity. Even if your dev team had to switch to Unity (or something else) later on for some reason, you'd still have something to show for it. And the increasing number of quality, innovative games being made with GameMaker (I'm still surprised that Nidhogg was a GameMaker game!) shows that switching may never be necessary.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This was my impression as well - they're out there and they technically cost money, but anybody who's actually doing something constructive with them doesn't actually have to pay.

I'd say that it's never been a better time to get something in the hands of Sony and show your game's potential. Not that GameMaker is code-free by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure you could prototype just about any 2D game idea in GameMaker far quicker than you could in something like Unity. Even if your dev team had to switch to Unity (or something else) later on for some reason, you'd still have something to show for it. And the increasing number of quality, innovative games being made with GameMaker (I'm still surprised that Nidhogg was a GameMaker game!) shows that switching may never be necessary.

Yeah, my friend was always trying to convince me to learn C programming years ago. Now he's learning GM, haha.

Fuck man. As a user of gamemaker studio and a playstation fan, this is awesome :D

I always dreamed of playing my games on Vita. It might actually come true one day.

Whoa, that looks great!

Korten

Banned

I guess I'll have to check it out...

Found this about becoming a developer but it requires this...

Please upload your application materials documentation. The document must include:
Softology
- Prior Development experience
- Product Catalogue
Playstation Development & Product Plan
- 6-12 Month Product Plan (Titles, ReleaseDates, Projects)
Technical Capacity
- Proprietary Engine?
- Sony Licensed Middleware Engine?
Key Personnel Details
- Number of Employees
- Background of key staff members

I'm just a guy going to college, I have ideas and such, but this is... Well, way beyond me. :(

Not saying I wouldn't want to start developing till I get a dev kit, but I would love to make a Vita game and know that well, I would be able to get my hands on a dev kit.

My idea for a game would be a platformer action-RPG of sorts. I know Platformers are a dime of dozen on the indie scene, but this wouldn't be "retro" but a more grounded looking game with an emphasis on story. Not unique perse but It's always been a game I wanted to make.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can I just get GMS and start making games, or do I need prerequisite knowledge of other programming languages?

'Cause I got a few ideas...
You need zero knowledge of programming to use GMS. Once you get into the thick of it you'll realize coding makes it much easier to manage, but it's not necessary.

You need zero knowledge of programming to use GMS. Once you get into the thick of it you'll realize coding makes it much easier to manage, but it's not necessary.
Last one, I think.

How grand can the scope get? As in, do side-scrollers work better than 3D, open levels? My idea would be best realized in 3D, but if 2D is better/easier, I could make concessions.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Would this be included with the free version they gave away a few weeks back?

You may need GM professional ($100) to export outside of PC. But the free version has all the features you need to get started.

Last one, I think.

How grand can the scope get? As in, do side-scrollers work better than 3D, open levels? My idea would be best realized in 3D, but if 2D is better/easier, I could make concessions.

I wouldn't recommend GMS for 3D...they're building it, but it has ways to go. But I feel that it's the most powerful 2D maker out there. Literally anything you want to create, you can make.

Damaniel

Banned
Last one, I think.

GameMaker is really targeted toward 2D games. It can do 3D games in theory, but those are probably better served by Unity at this point.

I have the opposite problem of a lot of people here. I'm actually a software developer with many years of experience writing code (non-gaming, mostly), and I've even thrown together a few simple games before. However, the part of me that wants to write lots of new, interesting code is constantly at odds with the part of me that wants to get a project done, so the things I think of never really get off the ground. I'm wanting to try GameMaker as a way to at least get a prototype created, but there's still a bit of that 'well, it's not really *real* game development' stigma, even though I know that lots of real, quality games have been made with it (some of which are made by people posting in this very thread, no less). Acceptance by one of the major game consoles has done a lot to change my opinion on the matter, so I'll probably give in and at least try it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wasn't GameMaker given away for free several times over the last few months?

The standard version was. I believe you may need the pro version for console dev, but I'm not sure.

Some booth pics:

Shahid Kamal Ahmad ‏@shahidkamal 4h

With the @YoYoGames team at their stand. GameMaker for all PlayStation platforms is here. Loads of great games too!

BjIRfhXIYAIV2mP.jpg

YoYo Games ‏@YoYoGames 7h

tha_rami demoing Nuclear Throne on #PS4 at YoYo Games booth. #GDC14 pic.twitter.com/qjIYnQ4twv

BjHwO0YCYAA0VqR.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
Wow awesome. GameMaker suddenly became majorly legit (if it wasn't already that from Vlambeer's endorsements). GameMaker the Unity for 2D games?

I remember when it was still a small pet project from my prof lol.

Noogy

This is really interesting news. I've never touched Gamemaker but I'm all for more platforms. And congrats, Chubs :)

soultron

Banned
I wouldn't recommend GMS for 3D...they're building it, but it has ways to go. But I feel that it's the most powerful 2D maker out there. Literally anything you want to create, you can make.

Yeah, GMS is great for 2D. You'll get stuff up off the ground really quickly and don't need to know much programming.

I'd recommend Unity for 3D stuff, but the learning curve is a bit more complex, albeit doable if you put the time in.

Top Bottom