• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humpback whales are protecting gray whales from orca attacks off California coast

You're doing the same thing though, humanizing animal behavior. Orcas don't kill that way because they are sadistic, they are just hunting the way that millions of years of evolution has taught them how to hunt.

(Well, not taught exactly, but the ones that didn't hunt that way died while the ones that did presumably survived to have children and thus passed it on to their children)

We are no less hormones and nerves than orcas.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
p0TnfCj.gif
Underrated post

MikeyB

I hope the attacka on greys aren't because the orcas are starving. Last I heard, that was happening to certain populations in BC because of underwater noise rather than reduced food. There was too much ship noise for them to communicate and coordinate their hunting.

Chuckie

Orcas are AWESOME. My fav sea creatures. Incredibly smart and social but a predator nonetheless. Never harmed a human being in the wild. Only harmed them in captivity.

Now Dolphins are the real pricks of the ocean.

Orcas are Dolphins.

Orcastar

What the hell, humpback whales? How about you mind your own goddamn business and let orcas enjoy their hard-earned prey in peace.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
We see more of ourselves in the Orca.
We rape, we murder, we torture for fun, and we have derive a particular level of glee in terrorising all around us. Yeah I can see how Orcas are our spirit animals.

On a side note, why don't Orcas eat humans? I've always been curious about this. These dolphins hunt and eat Great Whites, and only an adult big whale is safe from them (sometimes not even), and yet they rarely if ever attack humans in the wild.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
We rape, we murder, we torture for fun, and we have derive a particular level of glee in terrorising all around us. Yeah I can see how Orcas are our spirit animals.

On a side note, why don't Orcas eat humans? I've always been curious about this. These dolphins hunt and eat Great Whites, and only an adult big whale is safe from them (sometimes not even), and yet they rarely if ever attack humans in the wild.

Orcas are smart enough not to fuck with mankind.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
wtf there are orcas off the CA coast???

and all this time I was afraid of running into a fucking shark? FUCK orcas!

You should still worry about sharks:

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-shark-attacks-Here-s-why-they-re-on-11116036.php

Dr. Chris Lowe, director of the Cal State Long Beach Shark Lab, attributes the increase in sharks, specifically great whites, to a multitude of factors. He suspects sharks are beginning to see the fruits of 20 years of federal protection, following 50 years in which the predator was "systematically eliminated from our coastal waters."

Protections apply to the full spectrum of marine mammals, whose "populations have come back better than anyone could have predicted," said Lowe. Mature great whites feed on marine mammals such as otters, sea lions and seals, and the increase in prey could contribute to growth of the predator population.

"The number of seals, sea lions and otters that have been observed with white shark bites have been steadily increasing since 2002," Lowe said.

Such data fails to address a question on many Orange County residents' minds: Why are great whites choosing to congregate in Southern California? And why now?

Great whites typically summer in the 60-degree waters of Southern California before heading southward to Baja California as the changing of the season leads to colder temperatures. But that changed during the El Niño event from 2014-2016.

"During El Niño, we didn't have winter and our water temperatures didn't drop below 60 degrees," said Lowe. "The sharks stayed."

The bewildering trend has continued in recent years, even without the warmer temperatures of El Niño. This year, says Lowe, researchers observed sharks sticking around Southern California for most of the winter.

"We haven't quite figured this out yet," said Lowe, who theorizes that the warm waters — a result of global climate change — and the overall increase in shark numbers contribute to what he calls "hotspots," or beaches where sharks have been observed in larger packs. Those beaches include Huntington Beach, San Onofre, Santa Monica Bay, and Ventura.

While scientists are uncertain why specific beaches have become hotspots, they are able to track trends in behavior. Most of the sharks that swim close to the shore — and are likely responsible for attacks — are juveniles.

Upon birth, baby sharks must fend for themselves. Waters 100 to 200 feet from the shore are safer, as predators rarely stray into shallow water. Also, easy-to-catch shark prey, like stingrays, are abundant. These are the same waters where swimmers and surfers tread.

Scientists don't know what causes a shark to attack, but it could be self-defense or a case of mistaken identity, in which sharks perceive swimmers as prey.

Top Bottom