• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HW| does Xbox Series X really have 12 Teraflops ?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol tflops means nothing...its a dumb ass way to measure the power of a gpu, specially when u code to the metal like whoever said once.
Teraflops don't matter much these days... Just let it go.
pretty-cool-cerny.gif

And this man was laughed at by the ignoramus apparatus when he said this very thing 2.5 years ago.

Last edited:

Banned
Ghostwire Tokyo would like to have a word.

that game is completely broken.
that port was very clearly rushed out the door.
they even managed to wrongly align the light sources when RT shadows are enabled on Xbox...
they literally managed to not have VRR working in the 2 modes that are meant to be used with VRR displays...

like... that port is broken beyond belief
you can stand still and look straight up into the sky, and it will have drops below the SX's VRR window at 120hz, and half a second later it will be at 90fps, then back down to 20, back up to 70 etc.

Last edited:
Cloud computing will fix everything anytime soon. /jk

I guess the ~2TF difference will be somewhat visible later in the gen, at least with Xbox exclusives- similar to Cell games starting to shine rather late in the PS3 gen-, but it will be way less obvious than PS4 vs Xbone. For now we probably have a lot of engines and games that are still not really optimised to the maximumon of either console and we sort of get brute force enhancements of PS4Bone games.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

i was wondering why devs like this say these things about the Series X, shouldn't it be easier to build games for this machine since it has more power?
or is xbox limiting the hardware by software not letting it hit the Full 12 teraflops potential

specially with how microsoft uses the same tools as PC with directX it should be easier and we are now almost 3 years after launch

or the 12 Teraflops are the maximum power but there 2 allocated to the UI or something

if we say we have a RTX 3060 and 3070 the 2nd should just perform better without any additional optimisation needed or isn't that the case

any tech experts can explain why

Full specs if somebody can spot something that could cause this

PROCESSOR​

CPU. 8X Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU. 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
SOC Die Size. 360.45 mm2
Process. 7nm Enhanced

MEMORY & STORAGE​

Memory. 16GB GDDR6 w/320 bit-wide bus
Memory Bandwidth. 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s.
Internal Storage. 1TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput. 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage. Support for 1TB Seagate Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S matches internal storage exactly (sold separately). Support for USB 3.1 external HDD (sold separately).

You should understand this well - Tflops are nothing but a paper calculation on the GPUs execution hardware x clock speed. They do not denote final performance or any bottlenecks along the way.

You can check this yourself, it's shader cores 3328 * 2 ops per core per clock (this is just how it works) * the GPU clock of 1825 MHz = 12.15 TFLOPS of single precision FP32

So yes, it does really have 12 Tflops, but this isn't telling you if there's a limit on memory bandwidth, pixel fillrate, internal chip constraints like caches to CU groups, etc etc.

They're not devoting 2Tflops to the UI lol. Most gamers wank Tflops too much as an end all of performance and don't try to understand beyond this, like for instance the higher clock speed on the PS5 GPU does in fact lead to it having a higher pixel rate and some other mixed wins, all the onboard GPU caches are also clocked as much higher.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Are you doing C# .net? For that I have a lot of comments too, but only thing which I have in mind is why not GO, it is such a better language. Hell RUST is probably easier to manage with big repos, due to the fact that you don't have partial classes and all that wild ass abstraction, which makes it even less readable than C++.

Anyway. If it makes a buck, don't care, it is just a rambling.

Yeah it is worse every year, but thse GDK things are like a plug-ins which aren't developed by the VS team, so it would be unfair to call it a VS problem, it is simply something which Xbox Studios sucking at.

Hey.....I like that wild ass abstraction, thank you very much. :messenger_beaming: Seriously though.....I know you don't care for C#. You've said as much in the past. But yeah, that's just the language I've used for over 20 years now so it's just what I do. Also, the shops I've worked in are pretty much 100% Microsoft. Window servers, SQL Server databases, etc. .Net works really well in an environment like that. If I were in a shop using Oracle or MySQL and Linux then I'd use something else. To me: right tool for the job. But also I have to consider the fact that Microsoft will be supporting C# for many years to come and I have no problem hiring other C# devs. Those are key considerations from a business standpoint.

And I'm just a Microsoft fanboy. Doesn't everyone know that?

Surprise What GIF by VPRO

Mung

It does have 12 teraflops but flops aren't the be all and end all of real life game performance

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hey.....I like that wild ass abstraction, thank you very much. :messenger_beaming: Seriously though.....I know you don't care for C#. You've said as much in the past. But yeah, that's just the language I've used for over 20 years now so it's just what I do. Also, the shops I've worked in are pretty much 100% Microsoft. Window servers, SQL Server databases, etc. .Net works really well in an environment like that. If I were in a shop using Oracle or MySQL and Linux then I'd use something else. To me: right tool for the job. But also I have to consider the fact that Microsoft will be supporting C# for many years to come and I have no problem hiring other C# devs. Those are key considerations from a business standpoint.

And I'm just a Microsoft fanboy. Doesn't everyone know that?

Surprise What GIF by VPRO
No my point is that you are getting payed much less per line of code, than someone who jumps on these new langs. But respect, if you stick to it for 20 years, I am sure, you are making enough to not care : ) Also I love MySQL, fuck that NoSQL nonsense.

Topher

Gold Member
No my point is that you are getting payed much less per line of code, than someone who jumps on these new langs. But respect, if you stick to it for 20 years, I am sure, you are making enough to not care : ) Also I love MySQL, fuck that NoSQL nonsense.

I've no complaints about my pay. lol.....one of my devs suggested using mongo db a few weeks ago.

Me:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Dick Jones

Gold Member
12.15 tflops I think is the correct figure. Translates to 4k 60fps with on track RT in Forza Motorsport.
That's not really helping the case if Sony's significantly lesser FLOPS machine is either on par or slightly ahead on third party games.

The flops argument was always stupid. It always depends on the end product. Nice to see certain other benefits like the SSD and Dualsense [imo] but it's the games that matter most.

We've heard the Switch is 2 Wii U's sellotaped together
The Wii is 2 Gamecubes sellotaped together
It never mattered the machine, the Switch is the weakest by far but it have over 120m sales compared to PS5 and Xbox Series. The new Zelda could be easily run on the PS5 or Xbox but it's final product, the game, is what matters most and not the power of the machine itself. It would help to be more powerful but that will come in time

Lysandros

I guess the ~2TF difference will be somewhat visible later in the gen, at least with Xbox exclusives- similar to Cell games starting to shine rather late in the PS3 gen-,
For this to happen XSX has to perform better and better with each day passing comparatively, you know like a rising stock, like PS3 did back in the day. The trend of these past months seems to show quite the opposite however. We might as well end up with PS5 being in (even) better shape at later generation. By the way +1.87 TF ≠ CELL at all.

Last edited:

AGRacing

2 and a half years later, people are still stuck on FLOPs, huh? It's one metric. Trying to understand the entirety of a system's performance based on that alone is a fool's errand. Some Crytek engineer said that back in like 2019 (or 2020?) and got shat on. Turns out he was right.
THANK YOU.

It's every damn day in here with the f'ing teraflops!!!

We have people in here who even compare them between totally different architectures...

I say it often.... the One X marketing gets a GOLD medal for all of this . They started it all with the '6TF One X" stuff.

Puscifer

If Tflops were that important you'd buy a PC and get all the Tflops you could ever hope for and then some. This weird desperation to try and prove your console is better than another is bizarre, you don't get a console to be on the bleeding edge the same way you don't buy a Honda Civic to race in F1

Riky

$MSFT
That's not really helping the case if Sony's significantly lesser FLOPS machine is either on par or slightly ahead on third party games.

The flops argument was always stupid. It always depends on the end product. Nice to see certain other benefits like the SSD and Dualsense [imo] but it's the games that matter most.

We've heard the Switch is 2 Wii U's sellotaped together
The Wii is 2 Gamecubes sellotaped together
It never mattered the machine, the Switch is the weakest by far but it have over 120m sales compared to PS5 and Xbox Series. The new Zelda could be easily run on the PS5 or Xbox but it's final product, the game, is what matters most and not the power of the machine itself. It would help to be more powerful but that will come in time

Forza is an Xbox console exclusive, that's always where you see hardware being pushed. 4k 60fps with in game RT is a big result considering we've seen sub 720p games recently on next gen consoles. Also the only UE5 game out so far in Fortnite performs really well on Series X.

But I agree specs in themselves don't make great games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Max for logs, otherwise GTFO
Wait until someone is going to want those "vector dbs", that's something else. That's something else which ChatGPT and other networks are using.

Glad that I was promoted to a Mac-port guy and simply could stop doing these client based gigs, which wasn't too profitable and it brought a ton of issues.

It just shows how ignorant Digital Foundry can be sometimes, especially when they're comparing performance of the consoles and PC GPUs. Good old Richard "The Teraflop Differential" Leadbetter.

Double the teraflops never translates into double the render performance, this has always been true for consoles and PC GPUs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Forza is an Xbox console exclusive, that's always where you see hardware being pushed. 4k 60fps with in game RT is a big result considering we've seen sub 720p games recently on next gen consoles. Also the only UE5 game out so far in Fortnite performs really well on Series X.

But I agree specs in themselves don't make great games.
Oh, I can't not wait for it to launch with tech breakdowns. My bet is on "4K" with all the bells and whistles and not 4K.

Digital foundry have failed us this generation we've had enough software come out that they should make a "state of current gen" video. It's obvious by now that both of these consoles have strengths and weaknesses but I remember a lot of FUD around Sony's decision to use variable clocks and how Microsoft's fixed clocks and 12 TF would result in a consistent performance win by Microsoft's machine and this was stated by DF themselves so they owe everyone a video explaining what's happening I mean don't they talk to devs? If Sony's machine was 12 TF, with the same variable clock set up and other customizations they implemented, how much of a theoretical advantage would it have if any? These are questions I would like to see explored I'm hoping Microsoft release a mid-gen refresh along with Sony at around the same TF so we can get answers because I have a feeling Sony's not changing its set up they might have found an efficient way to get more performance out of a console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Digital foundry have failed us this generation we've had enough software come out that they should make a "state of current gen" video. It's obvious by now that both of these consoles have strengths and weaknesses but I remember a lot of FUD around Sony's decision to use variable clocks and how Microsoft's fixed clocks and 12 TF would result in a consistent performance win by Microsoft's machine and this was stated by DF themselves so they owe everyone a video explaining what's happening I mean don't they talk to devs? If Sony's machine was 12 TF, with the same variable clock set up and other customizations they implemented, how much of a theoretical advantage would it have if any? These are questions I would like to see explored I'm hoping Microsoft release a mid-gen refresh along with Sony at around the same TF so we can get answers because I have a feeling Sony's not changing its set up they might have found an efficient way to get more performance out of a console.
They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them in an honest way.

onQ123

I know it's getting late in the generation but really we haven't seen what Series X can really do because of low sales & the software needing to be backed up by Xbox One & PC user base .

Who is willing to put all their eggs in Series X basket when it's 10 million owners at the most now & a lot of people will just play the game on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

THANK YOU.

It's every damn day in here with the f'ing teraflops!!!

We have people in here who even compare them between totally different architectures...

I say it often.... the One X marketing gets a GOLD medal for all of this . They started it all with the '6TF One X" stuff.
The one thing that makes me not take DF as seriously as I would otherwise have done is actually down to this.

I feel they are the one outlet I would have expected to not buy or feed into the whole TF nonsense, I feel there was no excuse for them to do that on their day job when hobbyist posters here already knew better. But they did. And what shocks me, is that they seem to still be doing it to this day. Saying stuff like `what is wrong` when what they should be saying is `this is the X or Y on this platform showing its own strengths`.

like how many times does something have to get it wrong before the fact that something else gets it right is considered a feature and not just luck?

Last edited:

Lysandros

DF were at the very core of PS5 hardware misunformation campaign, they won't/can not do an obvious 180 degree now, they are still at d.c state more or less. Sorry but i had to say this bluntly at this time. Besides, no one really needs them to gain some basic knowledge about current console architectures. They are still 'seemingly' stuck at "bigger GPU" stage, let them continue their act.

Mr.Phoenix

I know it's getting late in the generation but really we haven't seen what Series X can really do because of low sales & the software needing to be backed up Xbox One & PC user base .

Who is willing to put all their eggs in Series X basket when it's 10 million owners at the most now & a lot of people will just play the game on Gamepass.
We haven't seen what the PS5 can really do either.

Puscifer

I think a lot of it just has to do with direct X IMO, something about it's API just isn't working anymore. What I find bizarre is that Vulkan is eliminating so many of these issues over on linux without any of the directstorage or "low level" coding non-sense of DX12, your hardware is actually being used more efficiently on a platform that wasn't even designed for gaming and PS5 is performing better and that should be a HUGE wakeup call that something is so wrong

Here's just an example.

TLOU PT 1 on Linux, doesn't exhibit the issues on Windows

Returnal, 1% lows keep the game above 60fps with VK3D 2.8 the latest version, not exactly something write home about buutttt if high frame rate gaming is your thing staying above 60 is what you want

Last edited:
In the end, Cerny and other developers who said the same thing were absolutely right, but then it was only a reason for ridicule and even portals like DF helped with it (there were even doubts about hardware RT on PS5... see it now on Ghostwire tokyo better than on Xbox xDD) this was 2020 in the forums... now it's time to pick up the cable when PS5 has shut up.

PS5-FUD.jpg

:pie_thinking:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
In the end, Cerny and other developers who said the same thing were absolutely right, but then it was only a reason for ridicule and even portals like DF helped with it (there were even doubts about hardware RT on PS5... see it now on Ghostwire tokyo better than on Xbox xDD) this was 2020 in the forums... now it's time to pick up the cable when PS5 has shut up.

PS5-FUD.jpg

I actually remember every one of those 😂

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member

PS5-FUD.jpg

uFwCu9d.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

PS5-FUD.jpg

I remember at least 90% of those "born in the discords PR" quotes on here.

Riky

$MSFT
You do understand what VRS is right? It's basically a smarter "checkerboard rendering" but using it in places where you are least likely to notice like Foveated rendering .

It should come with a * like checkerboard rendering because color propagation is still happening just not full screen

I know exactly what it is, trust me. We saw the results in Doom Eternal pretty clearly and the comments by id a pretty respected developer were very clear also.
Now we're getting 4k 60fps with in game RT, so some smart hardware choices were made.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

PS5-FUD.jpg

Had forgotten the bs about RE8 Village. Xbox fanboys are built different.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know exactly what it is, trust me. We saw the results in Doom Eternal pretty clearly and the comments by id a pretty respected developer were very clear also.
Now we're getting 4k 60fps with in game RT, so some smart hardware choices were made.
They need to be smart and make said hardware appealing again.

Last edited:
Fun fact: A Vega64 has more tflops than a Series X :messenger_smirking:

PS5-FUD.jpg

2020 GAF was so much fun to read

Top Bottom