• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S and X UK sales jumped 76% on Starfield launch

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The launch of Starfield and a new version of the Xbox Series S significantly boosted sales of Microsoft consoles.

GfK data reveals that Xbox Series S and X sales jumped 76% week-on-week for the seven days ending September 2nd.

GfK games boss Dorian Bloch says that the week is the biggest this year (so far) for Xbox Series S and X hardware sales in the UK. Meanwhile, the week ending September 9th is currently the second best week.

This was partially due to the launch of the new Xbox Series S 1TB edition, which accounted for 24% of all Xbox consoles sold during that week. The new version of Xbox Series S is roughly £50 more expensive than the standard Series S model.

But the jump in Xbox console sales was also due to the launch of Starfield. The Bethesda game officially launched on September 6th, but it was available on September 1st to those who were willing to pay for the Premium Edition. As a result, the standard Xbox Series X console posted a 46% increase in sales for the week ending September 2nd in the UK.

"It is currently the best week this year for Series X," Bloch says. "And the following week [ending September 9th] is the fourth best for X. In-between is week one and week six, which were early year blips."

Bloch says that the Xbox consoles overall had a decent showing for the week ending September 9th, with the new Series S 1TB model accounting for 20% of sales.

It follows a slow year for Xbox hardware sales, which up until the end of August
was down nearly 23% year-to-date in the UK.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

That’s the best you could do?
Its Hard Nick GIF by A&E

UK only?

most stores in EU don't allow returns unless it doesn't work or can ask for a return fee

online you have 30 days
Which is why almost everyone always buys on Amazon.

Three

UK only?

most stores in EU don't allow returns unless it doesn't work or can ask for a return fee

online you have 30 days
Distance selling in the UK is 14 days but most reputable stores match this in stores too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Phil you see.....release great games and people will buy the consoles.

maxresdefault.jpg

P.S
I know what he was getting at.
Releasing great games wont make the Xbox Series the best selling console......but id argue a generation of great games could turn things around where the deficit to Sony isnt so bad........Nintendo is long gone though.

What's the return window on electronics in the UK, 30 days?
bunk-headshake.gif

jm89

back to the news XSX and PS5 are pretty close in the UK 60/40 or more so with this XSX can sell more than PS5 for this month
It will probably be a bit more closer this month between ps5 and xsx/s. Ps5 did still have the massive discount active all they way too september 7th and spiderman 2 bundle launched. Also we still have no idea if the new revision will launch this month.

Week ending september 2nd was the best week of the year, that week would have included some days from august, so those may have already been included in august sales report.

But i'm not sure about that as i don't know what the cut off period is for the august sales report. Do they include the entire month? Or is it like NPD where they have a cutoff somewhere which doesn't always include the entire month?

Last edited:

Mowcno

So looking at the Series X only to take the new S model out of the equation Starfield managed to boost Xbox sales by 46% in it's launch week... That's not a lot considering how badly Xbox has been selling in the UK this year. 23% Down on 2022 for the year so far.

If it maintains this boost that would change things but I imagine it'll drop back down.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But MS's boss said thst great games doesn't sell consoles!!

Or was he crying like a little b[...]ch only to show how poor they are so the ABK can be bought?
I think people are misinterpreting what he said.

He was talking about the current state of Xbox and in that regard, with the success of Switch and momentum of PS5 coming off PS4, releasing games won't change all that much for Xbox.

The 76% increase in sales this month in UK isn't going to make much of a difference (as others have pointed out) and this was Xbox' major title.
Future releases also won't make much of a difference, because PS5 will widen the gap.

And then you'll have the same issue going into next-gen, as more people have built up a library on systems other than Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Average weekly sales for September were about 6.5k/week, a jump of 76% will make the week ending in September about 11.44k for that week. Is impressive but not so much when the PS5 is selling more.

The ps5 is 399 and has been for 2 months. Its a frazy price. I bought a second one. Sony arw killing it.

How does a 480 xbox series x do against a ps5 with starfield. Also you have to think about stock in the channel.

The ps5 is 399 and has been for 2 months. Its a frazy price. I bought a second one. Sony arw killing it.

How does a 480 xbox series x do against a ps5 with starfield. Also you have to think about stock in the channel.
Series S 512Gb is 250 quids and the 1tb is 300 quids.

The PS5 digital is 389 and disc version back to 480 with the LE Spider-Man 2 for 570.

MS has the cheapest option, but the other brand is just much more popular.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, it's you who doesn't think.

What numbers you think PS is going to be putting out in October?

Come man, the point of exclusivity is to draw people into your ecosystem.

Think of supply chain and logistics. You guys don't think logically so you make silly statements.

There's an almost certain chance that there wouldn't even be stock available for the xbox to increase sales by 300%. Retailers and even Microsoft UK and distribution partners ike techdata wouldn't hold that much stock.

Sheesh

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I think people are misinterpreting what he said.

He was talking about the current state of Xbox and in that regard, with the success of Switch and momentum of PS5 coming off PS4, releasing games won't change all that much for Xbox.

The 76% increase in sales this month in UK isn't going to make much of a difference (as others have pointed out) and this was Xbox' major title.
Future releases also won't make much of a difference, because PS5 will widen the gap.

And then you'll have the same issue going into next-gen, as more people have built up a library on systems other than Xbox.

He was still wrong though. He seems to want to take a shortcut to quick success and that is never going to happen. Sony didn't become this popular overnight or because of one game. Spencer is like the lazy person looking for a get rich quick scheme rather than having a viable long term plan for Xbox to be successful on its and its games' own merits. Instead he hopes Microsoft will keep bankrolling his vast spending trying to muscle Sony out of business.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Think of supply chain and logistics. You guys don't think logically so you make silly statements.

There's an almost certain chance that there wouldn't even be stock available for the xbox to increase sales by 300%. Retailers and even Microsoft UK and distribution partners ike techdata wouldn't hold that much stock.

Sheesh

If there was high demand for the Xbox which the supply couldn't satisfy then we'd know that by it being out of stock, but it isn't?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If there was high demand for the Xbox which the supply couldn't satisfy then we'd know that by it being out of stock, but it isn't?

I'm not making that statement. And I have no knowledge on what stock looks like at what retailers. I'm talking about how it would be simply impossible for xbox sales to jump 300% as that would mean some people were doing very poor jobs on stock control.

Elysium44

Banned
I'm not making that statement. And I have no knowledge on what stock looks like at what retailers. I'm talking about how it would be simply impossible for xbox sales to jump 300% as that would mean some people were doing very poor jobs on stock control.

I'm saying it's moot. The reason Xbox isn't doing 300% isn't because there isn't the stock, it's because it isn't in demand enough. Granted if it were then you're right, the supply probably wouldn't be there (who knows but let's assume that's true). We know Amazon for example has stock because if they don't then they won't say it's available for delivery tomorrow.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This guy is smart still trying to hype up Starfield I see.

Just for reference.

26k + 76% = 45.76k

To seem impressive, XB would have to jump by at least 300% equaling 104k by the end of September.
You're right, no idea how he still is allowed to create threads.

Any bump in sales this large in one market is welcome by MS.

Killjoy-NL

He was still wrong though. He seems to want to take a shortcut to quick success and that is never going to happen. Sony didn't become this popular overnight or because of one game. Spencer is like the lazy person looking for a get rich quick scheme rather than having a viable long term plan for Xbox to be successful on its and its games' own merits. Instead he hopes Microsoft will keep bankrolling his vast spending trying to muscle Sony out of business.
Probably.

Although I personally feel like MS is on it's way out as one of the Big Three and Spencer's role is to oversee the transition to a streaming service/3rd party.
And now he's in a sticky situation with GamePass not growing as fast as they'd hoped and their consoles falling way behind the competition.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm saying it's moot. The reason Xbox isn't doing 300% isn't because there isn't the stock, it's because it isn't in demand enough. Granted if it were then you're right, the supply probably wouldn't be there (who knows but let's assume that's true). We know Amazon for example has stock because if they don't then they won't say it's available for delivery tomorrow.

I get exactly what you're saying and I agree. I was just saying it's wild to say an uplift of 300% would be impressive...it would be downright incredible and also impossible, really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom