• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m okay with Nintendo making their own hardware but I wish they would put their games on other systems too

LakeOf9

I don’t mind Nintendo making their own consoles, they have some interesting ideas and the Switch in particular is great.

But I just wish their games, at least their high end games, weren’t tied to their hardware only. I’m talking about stuff like Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which I would love to play on a PS5 or PC. These games are just crying to be on more powerful hardware - emulated zelda looks gorgeous, and I wish Nintendo would make it official.

And I get that Nintendo systems are sold on the back of their first party but I’m not asking for all their games to come to other systems, just some of them. And also, the switch sells itself, it’s the concept and hardware that people love to the extent that they buy third party games on there even when they’re obviously worse than anywhere else, it’s why the switch version of P5R outsold all the other ones, or why the Witcher 3 and Skyrim sold a million on Switch when much better versions exist.

The other thing is, the switch isn’t a full home console, that’s a market Nintendo has now left completely. So even if botw was on PC or ps5, it’s catering to a different part of the market than the switch does.

And these games don’t even have to launch day and date. Botw is six years old, and its sequel is out next month. It’s probably sold as much hardware as it will. Put that on at least PC (I get why no PS5). Get it a second wind of sales, meanwhile it drives interest in totk.

I don’t know, I love Nintendo games but they suck so much as a company and their business decisions make no sense. I think gamers would benefit from Nintendo games being on more powerful hardware, even with all the caveats I listed above.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

LakeOf9

I would also like to have HBO, Disney plus and apple TV in my Netflix subscription.
This is not the same, in this case there is a tangible reason for asking for Nintendo games on other platforms (better performance, not just because I want to play them on my preferred system)

LakeOf9

So it begins, the wave of rationalizations and justifications for pirating Tears of the Kingdom.

"the game deserves better"
I and not pirating it I have it preordered and I’ll play it on switch as it’s intended, maybe eventually I’ll give it a go on my pc but I do think it would be better to get at least botw out on pc

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus i said late ports are fine in the OP, did you read it?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nintendo would laugh you out of the room and then probably have someone put a bag over your head and throw you into a trunk while leaving the building for even suggesting something like that, because they'd sooner nail their dicks to a desk than even consider a possibility that they wouldn't be able to choke the lifeblood out of their consumer base and be the control freaks that they are by releasing games on a platform that they don't hold in absolute power.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I and not pirating it I have it preordered and I’ll play it on switch as it’s intended, maybe eventually I’ll give it a go on my pc but I do think it would be better to get at least botw out on pc

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus i said late ports are fine in the OP, did you read it?
You seem sincere about it. My post wasn't really directed at you specifically. But yeah, the wave is coming regardless. Tons of disingenuous posts from people who totally *wink, wink* bought a boxed copy so they can legally emulate it.

Drew1440

A lot of Nintendo's software is designed around their hardware, like many of the Wii games making use of motion controls or the Wii U tablet & the DS's dual screens. Porting these to other platforms means changing or redesigning the controls from the ground up.

LakeOf9

You seem sincere about it. My post wasn't really directed at you specifically. But yeah, the wave is coming regardless. Tons of disingenuous posts from people who totally *wink, wink* bought a boxed copy so they can legally emulate it.
Yeah unfortunately I’m sure many will pirate it. Thankfully in general it seems like piracy doesn’t impact the sales of Nintendo games either way

A lot of Nintendo's software is designed around their hardware, like many of the Wii games making use of motion controls or the Wii U tablet & the DS's dual screens. Porting these to other platforms means changing or redesigning the controls from the ground up.
But this isn’t the case on Switch which is very standard

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah unfortunately I’m sure many will pirate it. Thankfully in general it seems like piracy doesn’t impact the sales of Nintendo games either way
Nintendo does well for sure. But when you see Metroid: Dread selling only 1 million copies you know that it is definitely impacted by piracy. They make a game that people on PC will probably like, but they don't ever get the reward for it.

Fbh

I mean yeah it would be nice to play TOTK on PC or Ps5.
But I don't see why Nintendo would risk ruining their very successful business model.

Nintendo consoles are way more exclusive driven than other consoles. Ps and Xbox exclusives are important too but a big chunk of their audience buys them for the big third party releases like COD, Fifa, GTA, Hogwarts Legacy, etc.
Look at sales charts on Switch, the best selling games by a wide margin are Nintendo games, the hardware sales are driven by the likes of Smash, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There would be no reason to buy the inferior spec'd hardware then.

The brand novelty would till be strong initially, but over time that would quickly fade.

LakeOf9

Nintendo does well for sure. But when you see Metroid: Dread selling only 1 million copies you know that it is definitely impacted by piracy. They make a game that people on PC will probably like, but they don't ever get the reward for it.
I think dread is close to 4 million now

I agree it didn’t sell as well as Mario or Zelda but Metroid always sold badly and dread is supposed to be the bestselling game in the series actually

I just think that a lot of the people who just pirate Nintendo games would actually buy them if they got the chance to on their system but I guess Nintendo values hardware sales more which makes sense since they sell their hardware for profit

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t really mind that much. I love Nintendos quirky hardware, I’d just like it if they updated it more often.

It’s a shame we never got that Switch Pro.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo should just open up their own store on PC, and stick Virtual Console on it. They’d make a mint.

PS5 ain’t ever going to happen, and it shouldn’t.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Making games for one hardware is easier and cheaper for them. I'm not following that closely, but I think Playstation games are not that optimized for PC.

I don’t mind Nintendo making their own consoles, they have some interesting ideas and the Switch in particular is great.

But I just wish their games, at least their high end games, weren’t tied to their hardware only. I’m talking about stuff like Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which I would love to play on a PS5 or PC. These games are just crying to be on more powerful hardware - emulated zelda looks gorgeous, and I wish Nintendo would make it official.
I don’t know, I love Nintendo games but they suck so much as a company and their business decisions make no sense. I think gamers would benefit from Nintendo games being on more powerful hardware, even with all the caveats I listed above.

Nintendo hasn't thrived as a company because of it's hardware.

Hardware = Shavers
Games = Blades
Nintendo does thrive because they don’t have to compete tech wise with the other gaming companies.

They can sell you a game in 2023 running on old ass tech for $70 and have that game sell over a million units. That’s there competitive advantage.

Sony and MS have to deliver 4K and all the bells and whistles to get people to buy their new hardware and games because people aren’t going to buy a new console from them without getting upgraded tech, Nintendo doesn’t have that problem.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Nintendo does thrive because they don’t have to compete tech wise with the other gaming companies.

They can sell you a game in 2023 running on old ass tech for $70 and have that game sell over a million units. That’s there competitive advantage.

Sony and MS have to deliver 4K and all the bells and whistles to get people to buy their new hardware and games because people aren’t going to buy a new console from them without getting upgraded tech, Nintendo doesn’t have that problem.
Selling damn near a billion pieces of software (if they haven't yet) is a helluva lot of blades.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

EaCEn8IWoAUbKJV.jpg

L*][*N*K

Banned
My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me that the company is very concerned with what you are okay with, seriously people need to understand that Nintendo will continue to do their own their and they will not communicate with people to see what they want or not if that doesn’t align with their vision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom