• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m okay with Nintendo making their own hardware but I wish they would put their games on other systems too

I wouldn't mind, unless it meant people stopped buying Switch hardware, which would lead to them stopping making games and go out of business. Then we'd just have boring ass Sony and MS pretending to be home computers systems. No originality, no new interesting ways to play, just moar powah! Moar expensiveness! No thank you.

HofT

My instincts want to agree. Even if Nintendo just completely went 3rd party and had their games on PS5,Series X and PC. Imagine what they're games could look like with high end graphics.

But once you think further and question why are Nintendo games so good? The reason is they NEED to sell their hardware. That's why their games are great.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I thought they already did. Tons of people here talk about playing Switch games on their Steam Deck.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd like to have their games PC but consoles makes them so much money they don't have any reason to... That's literally the reason why Switch is still $300 6 years after

kyussman

I've fuck all interest in Nintendo games but you have to admire their strategy......build up a huge porfolio of quality software and keep it chained to their own hardware.The odd fuck up here and there but over all big profits.Want to play a Nintendo game,gonna need a nintendo console.....everyone knows where they stand.

Nautilus

Banned
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

If the Switch 2 is a flop, maybe they will think about adjusting their business model like they did with mobile games. But it won’t be.

Sleepwalker

All the nintendo software is readily available on PC, even those that they don't sell anymore.

And no they won't support it officially, wtf are you on OP?

Last edited:

LakeOf9

So they should abandon their winning money making strategy to appease you port game beggars?
How am I a port beggar. I own and like the switch. I think it’s the most interesting and coolest console hardware ever made. I’ve loved almost all big Nintendo games on it. I just want the OPTION, years after release, to play some games at better settings.

LakeOf9

Then continue to play games there, whats the problem?

Gonna repeat again, you want them to abandon their money making strategy just to appease you? Really?
Yes, that’s what we do here don’t we? We discuss what we want from games while understanding most of what we want won’t happen

I’m confused about your very weird reaction

Saber

Gold Member
I’m confused about your very weird reaction

Theres nothing to discuss because they are making tons of money releasing games only on their consoles. They won't be releasing games on PS5 just to appease you, sorry.

I don’t mind Nintendo making their own consoles, they have some interesting ideas and the Switch in particular is great.

But I just wish their games, at least their high end games, weren’t tied to their hardware only. I’m talking about stuff like Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which I would love to play on a PS5 or PC. These games are just crying to be on more powerful hardware - emulated zelda looks gorgeous, and I wish Nintendo would make it official.

And I get that Nintendo systems are sold on the back of their first party but I’m not asking for all their games to come to other systems, just some of them. And also, the switch sells itself, it’s the concept and hardware that people love to the extent that they buy third party games on there even when they’re obviously worse than anywhere else, it’s why the switch version of P5R outsold all the other ones, or why the Witcher 3 and Skyrim sold a million on Switch when much better versions exist.

The other thing is, the switch isn’t a full home console, that’s a market Nintendo has now left completely. So even if botw was on PC or ps5, it’s catering to a different part of the market than the switch does.

And these games don’t even have to launch day and date. Botw is six years old, and its sequel is out next month. It’s probably sold as much hardware as it will. Put that on at least PC (I get why no PS5). Get it a second wind of sales, meanwhile it drives interest in totk.

I don’t know, I love Nintendo games but they suck so much as a company and their business decisions make no sense. I think gamers would benefit from Nintendo games being on more powerful hardware, even with all the caveats I listed above.
You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first.

that move will destroy nintendo
Eh. Their profit mostly comes from content and services, not hardware. They’d survive. In the world of business, the name of the game is adapt or die 🤷‍♂️.

But I do not think this will happen in the next 10 years, at least. Not if their own hardware keeps selling upwards of 100+ million per platform cycle. They have more business now than they know what to do with.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nintendo makes money by developing games specifically for their consoles. They aren't going to kill their business model. It's Nintendo + PC Master Race for a reason.

Anything relevant on other consoles are all ported to PC while Nintendo's offerings stay on Nintendo systems. That is their value.

If Nintendo were to go 3rd party you only need a PC. Giving the PC community a monopoly over the Gaming Industry.

That really defeats the purpose of providing the console exclusives on their platform - they make money on both sides of it. With sales like they have on the hardware, why would they want to do that?

It should be on pc and game pass day one. Nintendo is so anti gamer and so conservative, they are even worse than Sony and that's mean quite a lot.

Anyway... it's not like we can't play Nintendo games on other hardwares!

Last edited:

K' Dash

I'm glad that you are okay with them making their own hardware, I'll let them know so they can sleep well tonight.

Fuck no, we have two consoles that do the same shit, let Nintendo go wild.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I would love to see Nintendo’s games on other platforms. Wouldn’t be good for them though lol!

Still I’d love to play them on objectively superior hardware in every conceivable way.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
shallow-pedandic.gif

I don’t know, I love Nintendo games but they suck so much as a company and their business decisions make no sense.

122.55 million units

Coming in at 122.55 million units in total over its lifetime, the Switch sold an impressive 14.91 million units during FY 2023, and while this is an overall drop of 21.3% when compared to FY 2022, the Switch OLED Model enjoyed a significant boost in sales, rising by 92.5%.Feb 6, 2023

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I would love to see Nintendo’s games on other platforms. Wouldn’t be good for them though lol!

Still I’d love to play them on objectively superior hardware in every conceivable way.
I don't even think the other consoles' hardware is objectively superior is the thing. I think the Switch does a lot of cool shit that the other systems don't, and just as a pc first player, I much prefer the switch doing something interesting rather than just being a closed up pc box like the other two are. and I absolutely see the value of portability with Nintendo's style of game design too.

I just want the option to play them on better settings lol. if nintendo were going to offer a ps5 level, or even series s level, system, I would be totally fine with that too. but pc ports will give me other options too, like modding, so I would still prefer that if I had the choice, which I know I dont

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What having a console with no games does to a mf.
1 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 52.00 million[4]
2 Animal Crossing: New Horizons 41.59 million[4]
3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 30.44 million[4]
4 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 29.00 million[4]
5 Pokémon Sword and Shield 25.68 million[4]
6 Super Mario Odyssey 25.12 million[4]
7 Pokémon Scarlet and Violet 20.61 million[4]
8 Super Mario Party 18.79 million[4]
9 Ring Fit Adventure 15.22 million[4]
10 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! 15.07 million[4]
11 Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl 14.92 million[5]
12 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 14.75 million[6]
13 Pokémon Legends: Arceus 14.63 million[6]
14 Splatoon 2 13.30 million[7]
15 Luigi's Mansion 3 12.44 million[6]
16 Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 10.82 million[6]
17 Splatoon 3 10.13 million[6]

Look at all the non games no one wants to play! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LakeOf9

1 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 52.00 million[4]
2 Animal Crossing: New Horizons 41.59 million[4]
3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 30.44 million[4]
4 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 29.00 million[4]
5 Pokémon Sword and Shield 25.68 million[4]
6 Super Mario Odyssey 25.12 million[4]
7 Pokémon Scarlet and Violet 20.61 million[4]
8 Super Mario Party 18.79 million[4]
9 Ring Fit Adventure 15.22 million[4]
10 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! 15.07 million[4]
11 Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl 14.92 million[5]
12 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 14.75 million[6]
13 Pokémon Legends: Arceus 14.63 million[6]
14 Splatoon 2 13.30 million[7]
15 Luigi's Mansion 3 12.44 million[6]
16 Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 10.82 million[6]
17 Splatoon 3 10.13 million[6]

Look at all the non games no one wants to play! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You know if nothing else I would have thought context alone would have told you it's not the switch that person is talking about lol

Quasicat

A buddy of mine has a Switch for the sole purpose of getting games he purchases off of the console and onto his computer so he can run them in 4K with a whole bunch of performance boosts. That’s the only way he’ll play current Nintendo games.
I’ll admit that I hate gaming on a computer since I work on one all day, but Breath of the Wild and Arceus look really impressive!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
nintendo never sells hardware at a loss. makes no sense for them.

i just buy the games and play them on ryujinx now. i do love the switch but it's just too weak now.

LakeOf9

A buddy of mine has a Switch for the sole purpose of getting games he purchases off of the console and onto his computer so he can run them in 4K with a whole bunch of performance boosts. That’s the only way he’ll play current Nintendo games.
I’ll admit that I hate gaming on a computer since I work on one all day, but Breath of the Wild and Arceus look really impressive!
Ive been meaning to ask how that game is. I played sword and shield and they were so bad I decided to never play pokemon again, but everyone swears this one is great, and I did think it looks interesting when I looked into it but I got burned so hard with sword and shield that I dont know if I want to take the chance lol

Quasicat

Ive been meaning to ask how that game is. I played sword and shield and they were so bad I decided to never play pokemon again, but everyone swears this one is great, and I did think it looks interesting when I looked into it but I got burned so hard with sword and shield that I dont know if I want to take the chance lol
The last Pokémon game that I really enjoyed was Pokémon Yellow as I really love the original 151. That being said, they made it more of an action RPG where you can sneak up on Pokémon and catch them without fighting. It sounds really different, but it really comes together nicely. I also really like the ancient Japan motif as it takes place in the past. I got it with a voucher since I was unsure about it, but it is really good!

nial

Gold Member
They're already on PC, though? I mean, yeah, you can say that Super Smash Bros. Melee is still a GameCube exclusive, but at the end of the day, is it really?

Rykan

I respectfully disagree. IMHO Nintendo games should be playable ONLY on NINTENDO hardware.
Which is, I'm very sorry to say, an absurd take.

I've seen the claim "Nintendo games should be played on Nintendo hardware" for years, and there's just no explanation for it. Do you think that playing a game on a system with more capable hardware or with a controller that doesn't suck breaks the game? It's like saying you must watch a movie on a particular TV brand. It's absurd. Playing Switch games on more powerful hardware makes the games Better. Using any controller besides the atrocious joycons makes the game Better.

You have a point when it comes to systems with a very particular control scheme (Nintendo DS, Wii, etc) but otherwise? Nintendo hardware is, sadly, the worst place to play these games.

As for the OPs post: I fully agree, though I'm well aware that it's not happening for business related reasons.

balgajo

I’d love to see the day where's we aren’t forced to watch a movie in a specific cinema.
The only way I see this happening is the near future is game streaming becoming so popular to the point where buying a hardware to play games becomes strange.

LakeOf9

Which is, I'm very sorry to say, an absurd take.

I've seen the claim "Nintendo games should be played on Nintendo hardware" for years, and there's just no explanation for it. Do you think that playing a game on a system with more capable hardware or with a controller that doesn't suck breaks the game? It's like saying you must watch a movie on a particular TV brand. It's absurd. Playing Switch games on more powerful hardware makes the games Better. Using any controller besides the atrocious joycons makes the game Better.

You have a point when it comes to systems with a very particular control scheme (Nintendo DS, Wii, etc) but otherwise? Nintendo hardware is, sadly, the worst place to play these games.

As for the OPs post: I fully agree, though I'm well aware that it's not happening for business related reasons.
At least the pro controller is great!

Top Bottom