• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni : I need some help with some stuff

kebaldo

To the people saying the game is not that good or to drop it: F...k you. <3
The game is such a joy... not perfect in any means but it has everything in place to be enjoyed (obviously if your a jrpg type of guy/girl). For the difficulty: it's like any other game... just give it some time... its not a Soulslike but its not even a Mario game... it needs just a little bit of try and repeat... a little bit of grinding...
Enjoy this little diamond of a game!

Stafford

The final boss is absolutely horse shit. I just knew they were gonna pull some bullshit. Despite being very OP I just died. The goddamned fight is three phases so if you die, you gotta do it all over again. I hate this so much.

I was basically helpless in the third phase because of this game's retarded ass magic system, or more like bullshit way of how mana regenerates. Potions cost a fortune and I barely get drops during the fight.

Fuck this.

RobRSG

To the people saying the game is not that good or to drop it: F...k you. <3
The game is such a joy... not perfect in any means but it has everything in place to be enjoyed (obviously if your a jrpg type of guy/girl). For the difficulty: it's like any other game... just give it some time... its not a Soulslike but its not even a Mario game... it needs just a little bit of try and repeat... a little bit of grinding...
Enjoy this little diamond of a game!
The meaning of Copium has just been redefined.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The final boss is absolutely horse shit. I just knew they were gonna pull some bullshit. Despite being very OP I just died. The goddamned fight is three phases so if you die, you gotta do it all over again. I hate this so much.

I was basically helpless in the third phase because of this game's retarded ass magic system, or more like bullshit way of how mana regenerates. Potions cost a fortune and I barely get drops during the fight.

Fuck this.
All things considered, the game clearly doesn’t do a good job of explaining its systems. There’s such a huge gap between those who say it’s a cakewalk and you shouldn’t have any trouble, and those who, like you and me, seem to fumble with the basics and can only go on by grinding and using OP monsters.

Stafford

All things considered, the game clearly doesn’t do a good job of explaining its systems. There’s such a huge gap between those who say it’s a cakewalk and you shouldn’t have any trouble, and those who, like you and me, seem to fumble with the basics and can only go on by grinding and using OP monsters.

Yeah, man. Even with a goddamned OP Griffles at level 25 or so, evolved with attack power at 300+.

It's just insane how my spells barely seem to damage the boss, even the very man draining spells don't do much. So it's up to Griffles to get close and do his attacks, base attack is not super great, but his skills use mana and I can only buy so many potions which honestly it's bat shit insane how pricey those are. I barely ever see any of the blue orbs when I hit the boss and this is while I see my good for nothing teammates constantly dying so I have to revive them and plus I have to watch out that I don't die.

Horrible. I probably have the wrong familiars for my teammates, but I'm getting to a point where I just don't care anymore. I'm not sure if loading up a older save and even more XP grinding is gonna do much.

Psychostar

Fuck. Not the kind of advice I was hoping for. Because I really dig the look of the game, the story, characters, music, world. I'm not gonna give up yet, it's still going, but if I do end up dying overly much and it just not being worth it, I'll drop it no problem. I'll watch the story on YouTube then.

It is? Oh I didn't expect that! Here I thought it wasn't as well received. If I give up on 1 I will get on that one for sure.
I’ve played both and I enjoy challenging games. The first one I did not finish as I got to a section where the party I invested time in could not carry me through and I was basically stuck. This happened and I am a bit of a completionist so I was caught off guard. I never finished the first one but I enjoyed it and chose to play the second after. I much preferred the second in terms of what it offered. I ended up getting the platinum for that.

Psychostar

I’ve played both and I enjoy challenging games. The first one I did not finish as I got to a section where the party I invested time in could not carry me through and I was basically stuck. This happened and I am a bit of a completionist so I was caught off guard. I never finished the first one but I enjoyed it and chose to play the second after. I much preferred the second in terms of what it offered. I ended up getting the platinum for that.
Side note: I actually own the collectors editions for both of these games. The art and world are just so beautiful <3 . I repurchased the first one for Nintendo switch but it is significantly worse quality than the ps3 version and I never got to finishing that. Maybe one day ?

Stafford

Yeah, I'm considering just dropping this game and start with 2. I might try it once or twice tomorrow, maybe I'll try to find Dinoceros and hopefully get the chance to tame him. I would do this just so that I can finish the story.

What I also don't get it, I watched some YouTube videos and when the player casts spells that take off lots of mana when I do it, doesn't for them. Wtf?

Oh, I also despise how little time you get to actually defend yourself, all this menu navigation is just horrible, and if you are not on time with pressing defend it can mean game over, lmao. Motherfuck this game.

Last edited:

Psychostar

L
Yeah, I played it for 20+ hours, but at one point I had to lower the difficulty because whatever wasn't slaughtering my party of useless idiots took definitely too long to beat. At one point I just lost all interest.
Says a lot about Esther that speedrunners just leave her dead on the ground most of the time. She is completely incapable of defending herself, and will waste all of her MP on healing scratches if you let her.
The game is awfully repetitive, and whoever had the brilliant idea of having monsters return to level 1 upon evolving hopefully studied a bit of game design this last decade. The slow evolution curve of monsters also means that experimenting to find the best ones will take a lifetime.

Shame, because the game's charm is off the charts. It's not just the Ghibli art too. The grimoire is one of the most ridiculously well-crafted things in all of gaming, and the Italian translation at least is one of the best I've ever seen. But seriously, what a chore NNK is. And some people say NNK2 is even more of a chore? Wow.
You just reminded me why I was unable to complete my play through 3/4th s into the game. I made the mistake of leveling my best guys at the worst moment and was not able to clear through the section after. Wasted hours of my life.

Stafford

Ok, so I managed to tame Dinoceros. If I am to believe the things said about him finishing the story should not be much of an issue now, right? I truly don't care how OP he is, in fact I hope he is insanely OP, lol.

But do I have to evolve him multiple times? That's the only thing I need to know I think, and probably which version I want him to evolve into. I'll go to the place with the Tokos and go to town there a lot I guess.

Psychostar

Ok, so I managed to tame Dinoceros. If I am to believe the things said about him finishing the story should not be much of an issue now, right? I truly don't care how OP he is, in fact I hope he is insanely OP, lol.

But do I have to evolve him multiple times? That's the only thing I need to know I think, and probably which version I want him to evolve into. I'll go to the place with the Tokos and go to town there a lot I guess.
There's a part where you play a steampunk style area, and when that's done you get locked into a new story section/dungeon. Whatever you do, make sure you are strong enough before going there. As others have reminded me, when you evolve your character it resets the level back to 1, and that can cause big issues if you haven't farmed enough. I can't recall the elements required to have an advantage unfortunately as it's been too long but I will probably replay it again this week lol. I may be asking you for advice instead!

Stafford

There's a part where you play a steampunk style area, and when that's done you get locked into a new story section/dungeon. Whatever you do, make sure you are strong enough before going there. As others have reminded me, when you evolve your character it resets the level back to 1, and that can cause big issues if you haven't farmed enough. I can't recall the elements required to have an advantage unfortunately as it's been too long but I will probably replay it again this week lol. I may be asking you for advice instead!

Hamelin? I've been there already, Griffles made short work of the boss there. I'm at the very end of the story now at the White Witch boss, the three phases one.

Stafford

Finished it!

Dinoceros is the homie! I had him evolved, level 20, and had done a ton of side quests today to get enough money to buy good amounts of mana drinks and stuff to revive the absolutely good for nothing teammates. They even refused to heal me or themselves during the fight, but I did it.

I honestly appreciate everything in this game, except the combat and the bullshit ass way of regaining MP. It was enough to not give up.

Top Bottom