• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I always forget how Short Metal Gear Solid is....

SCB3

But my god does it work so well, you could easily condense this into a 3 hour film as well, story premise is simple, it has links to the past but none that are so in your face and the pace keeps getting faster and faster.

I'm only 2 hours into a replay of the game (first time on PC on the Master Collection, though I've beat the PS1 version so many times (I'm replaying them all on steam atm) ) and already onto the Sniper Wolf fight, I have a few ReShade mods on to make it look a bit better but its holding up really well and I was surprised on how much I've retained since my last playthrough, I've not missed anything so far and even remembered the Codec frequencies

Mephisto40

I can remember I used to be able to finish Metal Gear Solid in about 2 and a half hours when it was released, it's the only game in my life I actually got semi decent at speedrunning which wasn't bad considering I was like 15 at the time

Now people can finish it in just over half an hour

Last edited:

deeptech

Well I guess as it's already said that will depend on who is playing, but yea on the whole I think it's just right in length for what it is.

Killjoy-NL

Can't remember the game being that short, but that's why I don't necessarily hold a game's length against it.

At the same time, it's also why I don't care much about replaying old games, nor do I wish we could return to those days.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
But my god does it work so well, you could easily condense this into a 3 hour film as well, story premise is simple, it has links to the past but none that are so in your face and the pace keeps getting faster and faster.

I'm only 2 hours into a replay of the game (first time on PC on the Master Collection, though I've beat the PS1 version so many times (I'm replaying them all on steam atm) ) and already onto the Sniper Wolf fight, I have a few ReShade mods on to make it look a bit better but its holding up really well and I was surprised on how much I've retained since my last playthrough, I've not missed anything so far and even remembered the Codec frequencies
It's short and yet we go back to replaying it. Metal Gear (NES) sorta missed it but MGS 1 was the height of writing & gameplay combined.

The idea of a movie has been passed around Hollywood several years now but never comes to be...and given how bad movies are now, we probably don't want that. However, the writers took large influence from movies like: 007 series (pre-Brosnan), Escape from New York (ahem...Snake), Die Hard, the Great Escape and many others. It really belongs as a game influenced by film and other sources rather than to go in the direction of being adapted into one.

Enjoy replaying and play it again soon...or I guess you'll be starting into MGS2 given you mentioned you're playing the master collection.

Bartski

Gold Member
3ebfAVz.jpg

Just finished this again last night! Felt a bit off at first but once I got the controls down, it was as fun as I remembered. Wish Konami did a bit more for this rerelease though. On to #2!

Roufianos

I remember in the months up to MGS4, me and my school friends beat it a few times coming home after school. Can easily do it in one sitting.

Also, it's even shorter if you factor in you have to do the Tank Hanger to Mantis' room 3 times, and the card key back tracking.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It may have been short, but games always took me longer back then because I didn't understand the "language" of video games and how similar the mechanics/clues for progress are in them across the board. Plus no internet.

Also: Bluepoint remake when?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ahhh… back when games had pacing and weren’t stretched just for the sake of it. Good times. Always ended up replaying the games several times and therefore got the bang for my buck just like today. And I also knew the game in and out. Gooooood days.

Oh, and this game was and still is a masterpiece. So much though and creativity went into it. Crazy.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve been replaying mgs1,2 &3 in the collection.

Prior to replaying my mind cemented mgs3 as the best MGS game. So far, having completed MGS2 again, and I can safely say MGS2 is Kojimas best game. MGS 1 is second best and a masterpiece.

Mgs3 may have the most solid narrative ending of the franchise with some cool moments but it feels like a shallow game overall. I hope I’m wrong after I beat it again.

SCB3

I’ve been replaying mgs1,2 &3 in the collection.

Prior to replaying my mind cemented mgs3 as the best MGS game. So far, having completed MGS2 again, and I can safely say MGS2 is Kojimas best game. MGS 1 is second best and a masterpiece.

Mgs3 may have the most solid narrative ending of the franchise with some cool moments but it feels like a shallow game overall. I hope I’m wrong after I beat it again.
A bit of a hot take but I’m not that big a fan of 3, I prefer Solid Snake to Big Boss tbh

MGS is still my favorite and I have fond memories of me and a few friends renting a PS2 and MGS2 and beating it in one night with no memory card

I forgot to mention how good the music in MGS is, Enclosure is beautiful and that main theme is Iconic

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I could beat it in under 2 hours with ng+ and the headband lol

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Amazing game with so much detail. Small things like hiding in the box and letting the wolves pee on you so that you can go through unharmed or holding Sniper Wolf's handkerchief so that you can go through the cave freely. I definitely need to go through it again, but how does the Psycho Mantis fight go since you can't switch controller ports to bypass his control?

SCB3

Amazing game with so much detail. Small things like hiding in the box and letting the wolves pee on you so that you can go through unharmed or holding Sniper Wolf's handkerchief so that you can go through the cave freely. I definitely need to go through it again, but how does the Psycho Mantis fight go since you can't switch controller ports to bypass his control?
You still can do that, its an option on the new pause menu

Gambit2483

The MGS series as a whole was one of those games where if you just want to experience the story you can get through it fairly quickly (depending on length of cutscenes)...But it also allowed for a huge amount of experimentation and exploration on how to manipulate the A.I. or tackle different areas/situations in different ways...and of course the dozens of hidden secrets/details to find.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it's perfect. These games don't need to be long or convoluted.
I like replaying short games.

I have a confession to make. I never myself played and finished MGS 1, 3 and 4. Only played demo of mgs1 on pc in the late 90s and finished mgs2 on pc when it came out... that crappy version. I remember it was super short.
I do have the collection on ps5 physical. I do have great nostalgia for mgs1. i played the shit out of that demo as a kid.
Of course I know all of those games from yt and so on. Personally I finished ground zeroes and phantom pain on release.

Gambit2483

it's perfect. These games don't need to be long or convoluted.
I like replaying short games.

I have a confession to make. I never myself played and finished MGS 1, 3 and 4. Only played demo of mgs1 on pc in the late 90s and finished mgs2 on pc when it came out... that crappy version. I remember it was super short.
I do have the collection on ps5 physical. I do have great nostalgia for mgs1. i played the shit out of that demo as a kid.
Of course I know all of those games from yt and so on. Personally I finished ground zeroes and phantom pain on release.

Do yourself a favor and grab a copy of the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection (any platform) and fully experience the early years of this awesome franchise.

There's a reason the industry strokes Kojima's..ego as much as it does 😅

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This really puts in perspective just how much is in Disc 1 really

It's actually pretty insane that the second "half," is primarily storytelling and radio calls amid one (pretty brilliant, thanks Metal Gear 2) gameplay gimmick and several Boss fights and a classic escape sequence. It's like...narratively, disc one should be called Set Up and disc two named Payoff.

NinjaBoiX

It’s one of the best games ever made, and I say that as a very vocal detractor from the franchise as a whole.

When that game came out, it was an SM64, FF7 moment, absolutely groundbreaking for the industry.

I rarely play games multiple times to the point where I’m scraping any leftover scraps of code from the bottom of the proverbial barrel, but this was one of the games.

But yeah, it’s pretty short I guess. All the better for it though.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I love shorter games.

I understand why someone would say "a 40 hour game has more value than a short game"... BUT in my experience I get more playtime out of a highly replayable shorter game than a long one.

MGS1 was replayed so much when I was younger just for the love of the game, pacing and unlocks. I just don't get the same feeling with longer games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Only if you skip all the cutscenes, maybe. And playing MGS1 while skipping cutscenes is like watching a movie with all the dialogue cut out. You're just wasting your time. The magic of this game lies in its seamless combination of gameplay and story. One can't exist without the other.

Kerotan

I completed MGS1 in 2 hours 20mins for the Fox Rank.

Now I'm on MGS2 Big Boss run. Currently on 1hr 20mins at the Ray fight near the end. Should get it done in under 2 hours.

It's crazy I go from beating them in over 10 hours first playthrough on easy to sub 2/3 hours on extreme.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Only if you skip all the cutscenes, maybe. And playing MGS1 while skipping cutscenes is like watching a movie with all the dialogue cut out. You're just wasting your time. The magic of this game lies in its seamless combination of gameplay and story. One can't exist without the other.

I love mgs’s story but playing for the gameplay is great too. Its a fun arcadey kind of stealth, highly distinct from the likes of Splinter Cell or Thief. You should give the vr missions a chance!

SCB3

Who said I'm skipping cutscenes? THey're the best part and actually a reason I'm not as keen on Twin Snakes (that and its absurd price hike now, and I collect Pokemon games, cause I love wasting money it seems)

SCB3

I know that getting a remake of MG 1 and 2 would be the best option but man a remake of this with V's controls and graphics would be fantastic, the Sniper Wolf fights in particular suffer from the low res graphics of the time, I still cheese her with the Nikita's just cause its so much easier to fucking see her

Anyway, got to Vulcan Raven in less than 4 hours with the cutscenes and I found a door/room that I've never seen before (or forgot completely about) just before you switch discs and its a level 7 door, so I assume you would have to come back here, switch discs and go in, probably just for some stinger ammo lol

-Zelda-

Banned
I still cant (but also can) believe that this game has one of those "this game is a product of it's time" sensitivity warning when you boot the game up.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Yea my brothers and I used to beat it in one sitting and then start a new playthrough straight away. Game was/is phenomenal.

Top Bottom