• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot decide on which Xbox Series console to go for

SCB3

Let me pre empt this with a few things:

• I have a separate room that I prefer to game in, this has my PC and Switch in
  • In their I have a 1440p monitor
  • In the living room I do have a 65" 4k TV
  • I will eventually get a Series X in there when I see a good bundle either way, right now my XOX is there
  • I went all digital this gen anyway, so physical games I pretty much limit to Switch as Nintendo's account sharing is God awful for families
So my issue, or rather question is, I currently have a Series S pre-ordered and the money for it, but should I either upgrade to a Series X or use the extra cash on some games (I have GPU for the next 2 years anyway) such as assassin's creed valhalla?

Is a Series S gonna be enough for that monitor or is going for the Series X just a better option?

Last edited:

SCB3

Did you order the 1TB expansion card? Its going to have probably less than 400 GB of space.

If not buy a series X instead.

Good point, I mean I have an external HDD that I use now ( I can use BC games from that, I'm not that bothered about long load times sometimes)

If you plan to use it at room with PC, doesnt most/all games come for PC too? If that is the case, I would not get either one

I would wait until good bundles or sales come.

If all games wont come for PC, then I would get the x, as s is just too weak and it will show up later in the gen

SCB3

The way I look at it OP, since, I mean you already spending $299 why not adding another 2 hunnit and bringing ho.e the real deal Series X, the most powe..

Right? Just avoiding the hassle later on of getting rid of S for an X.

I'd be getting both a X and S eventually unless I get a good enough Monitor for 4k gaming which until I upgrade my PC I won't be for a while

I was in a similar position wondering which to get - but if you’re planning to do it anyway just trade in the s for series x. It’s got a disc drive and stuff and that way you don’t gotta worry about it.

Riven326

Banned
Let me pre empt this with a few things:

• I have a separate room that I prefer to game in, this has my PC and Switch in
  • In their I have a 1440p monitor
  • In the living room I do have a 65" 4k TV
  • I will eventually get a Series X in there when I see a good bundle either way, right now my XOX is there
  • I went all digital this gen anyway, so physical games I pretty much limit to Switch as Nintendo's account sharing is God awful for families
So my issue, or rather question is, I currently have a Series S pre-ordered and the money for it, but should I either upgrade to a Series X or use the extra cash on some games (I have GPU for the next 2 years anyway) such as assassin's creed valhalla?

Is a Series S gonna be enough for that monitor or is going for the Series X just a better option?
PS5.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’d wait a bit before making the decision. Microsoft says Xbox Series S is a 1440p console, but there’s been some talk that it’s more of a 1080p one.

Likewise, we don’t know if settings in games will also be tuned a bit down.

Just see how the Series S turns out. If it does turn out well, and you don’t mind deleting games when done, I’d have to say, it does sounds like a good choice for you.

Edit: O, and preorders are almost impossible to find right now. If you want an X, you might be waiting a while.

Last edited:

SCB3

I’d wait a bit before making the decision. Microsoft says Xbox Series S is a 1440p console, but there’s been some talk that it’s more of a 1080p one.

Likewise, we don’t know if settings in games will also be tuned a bit down.

Just see how the Series S turns out. If it does turn out well, and you don’t mind deleting games when done, I’d have to say, it does sounds like a good choice for you.

Edit: O, and preorders are almost impossible to find right now. If you want an X, you might be waiting a while.

I lucked out and have both pre-ordered ATM, I'll be cancelling one if I can't afford it

SCB3

If you plan to use it at room with PC, doesnt most/all games come for PC too? If that is the case, I would not get either one

I would wait until good bundles or sales come.

If all games wont come for PC, then I would get the x, as s is just too weak and it will show up later in the gen

Unfortunately until I can upgrade my PC I'm limited to lower settings on some newer games, Cyberpunk should be fine and I bought that the other day on GOG ready to go, by AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion and so on are gonna struggle on a 1060 6gb

3080 is the upgrade to it I want with a new job next year I think

Reactions: MrS

GamerEDM

Banned
Series X if it is your primary console Series S if secondary console . I Mainly game on Playstation so i will go for the series S when they have more exclusives.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I guarantee you the Series S will not hit the 1440p target most of the time. It is going to be a FHD machine.

Get the XSX if you can afford it.

Get the S if you plan to use a 1080p monitor / TV.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

There is no debate, if you want proper next gen you need the Series X.

The series S is already nerfed and we are starting to hear rumours of Series S struggling to crack 1440p on next gen games.

Last edited:

Antwix

There is no debate, if you want proper next gen you need the Series X.

The series S is already nerfed and we are starting to hear rumours of Series S struggling to crack 1440p on next gen games.
Exactly. If you're planning on going all-digital, Series S has quite the small storage in it. Series X at least will get you quite a bit more storage space until the expansion card comes down in price a bit. Plus if you're interested in backwards compatible games, disc versions may be the only way to play some older games. Not to mention, you'll get the most powerful version immediately instead of upgrading down the line. At least, those are the reasons I went for the Series X.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Get the X. With the 500GB storage I just don't see how the value prop is there for the S long term at their relative prices.

McHuj

I would go for the X.

ive never regretted getting the higher end model of anything, but there have been many cases where I’ve wished I hadn’t cheaper out and but the cheaper model.

I don’t think you’ll regret getting the X, you may have regrets with the S.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Reminds me of “which phone should I get” thread, if you can afford the X skip the S.

teezzy

Banned
When in doubt, go for the more powerful device with more options.

This way you won't be wishing you hadn't gone for the weaker one with less options later on down the line.

I went for the Xbox series PC. (not my pic but I have the same thing)

g29napt6ma351.jpg

odhiex

I'm interested in the Series S, but I want to see it more in actions. I wanted a relatively cheap machine for gamepass.

As of now, MS seems to push its marketing towards XBOX series X more than series S.

Last edited:

Aidah

Given the price of the storage expansion and that X gives you double the storage, I'd just go for X. Unless you only want it for light use.

If your PC is only a 1060 and it's going to be a while before you upgrade, then more of a reason to get an X, as it'll be a real upgrade over anything you currently have, and so a lot more exciting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom