• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I might be in the minority but in terms of PC gaming I prefer a gaming laptop more than a PC.

KXVXII9X

I have a really nice 2021 ASUS Zephyrus G14 laptop that I'm really fortunate to have (Plays most modern games okay).

More and more though, I've been wanting something more portable like a Steam Deck despite it being weaker. I'm not sure if it will be a "careful what you wish for" scenario.

I like playing on my Switch OLED, but I have played long sessions on my laptop. It just isn't comfortable and I never feel as immersed in the games as I do with handhelds or consoles.

I just feel like the whole hybrid nature of the Steam Deck, Asus Ally, and Lenovo Legion Go will make more sense in the future.

Rickyiez

I see you like the sound of a jet engine :messenger_smirking:

Seriously though running games with laptops is a nightmare in tropical countries. I have a Gigabyte gaming laptop with RTX4050 and a Lenovo thinkpad with T1200, and both of them sounds like jet engine playing any games where the cpu temp shooting up to 100°c

Meanwhile my desktop just stay cool and quiet with Sycthe Fuma 2 and plenty of air flows.

SNG32

I bought my gaming laptop January 2021. The cost of the entire laptop (i7 11800H/3060/165hz screen) was less than just a 3060 desktop GPU. I actually bought two for the family. They are both still working flawlessly and run everything well. I run most games at 4K with DLSS.
Exactly GPUs are priced as laptops now. Atleast with a laptop sure it might not be powerful as desktop gpu but atleast your getting a whole ass computer with a decent gaming experience at the same time.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm a desktop gamer, but if you're happy you're doing it right.

Nothing worse than starting a new job and the IT department handing you a laptop.

I hate them yet I have like six of the fuckers because they're so useful.
My IT gave me a mobile workstation with a Quadro. It's surprisingly snappy even with a long ass list of software and encryption installed.

Last edited:

killatopak

During college, gaming laptops were the best. I also really needed it for school so it was kinda mandatory for me to have a good one.

Kenpachii

Basically if I can get performance that’s either close or better than console settings I’m happy. I like the fact that I can hook it up to my TV and take it with me wherever I go. A desktop is cool but to me I already have a PS5 and Series X for stationary gaming. Laptop and Switch for portable gaming. I know most PC gamers look down on laptops but I think they’ve came a long now in giving a great gaming experience.

Anyone else on a similar page?

I moved around a lot now so a laptop makes more sense for me, got rid of my 9900k/3080 desktop and moved to a 12900hx/4080 laptop. No regrets.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Laptop is basically the portable console of pc world (i guess before deck was a thing)

Practical, portable but i would never play anything on it when i have a beefy pc and a good oled tv at home.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
57e282a2-c135-4e81-813e-532ca94e1c88_text.gif

Hero_Select

I had a gaming laptop for a very long time and I miss having one.

I was contemplating getting the really nice looking Razer one but I can't justify the purchase

Roxkis_ii

I don't have space for a desktop, and I also don't like being locked in one location. I have a gaming laptop for now until I move to my next place with more space.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd agree with you if it werent for the heat and noise coming off of them. My PC is dead silent even when gaming at 100%, every laptop I've ever seen makes a noise I just can't tolerate.
this is the ultimate reason why i won't buy a gaming laptop. They're really noisy, loud and have terrible battery.

Deck is better as a gaming device since it's more portable and easier to hold in hand (no table needed), and for productivity, I'd buy an M1/M2 Macbook or a decent (600+) windows laptop- those are a lot quieter and better for productivity, plus much thinner too.

hyperbertha

Only someone who doesnt own a gaming PC would say that. If u travel a lot sure, if not, then there is 0 reasons to use a laptop.
This is some insecurity I detect. I've owned a pc. These days I'm contemplating getting a laptop. The portability, small form factor and lack of hassle is a huge upgrade. Plus hardware has gotten strong enough it's not much of a power compromise. You seem insecure your pc purchase wasn't the best choice.

BlackTron

I agree. In the past, laptops sucked for gaming. I would use a desktop and just keep a normal laptop as a general portable computer with the option for low fidelity games like Starcraft 1.

My situation reversed. My desktop has never been upgraded beyond a 1060. Instead I got a gaming laptop with an i7 and 3070 for $999 in 2022. This laptop is thinner and weighs less than my normal Windows laptop with integrated graphics from 10 years ago. It's more powerful than a PS5 yet it can be moved around between different TVs, my monitor, or even (lol) my lap in seconds. I added a 2TB drive so the portable game collection is massive. Most of the time I use it like a desktop to play FPS games and forget I'm using a laptop at all until I yank it to throw in my backpack or wire to the TV instead.

Gaming laptops have a stigma for a reason you sacrificed too much for portability. I was adamant about this myself. Things have gotten better. The thing is you really need to do your research and wait for the right deal. There are more hidden pitfalls.

Of course if what you want is 4k, ray tracing, ultra settings and high frame rates all at the same time laptops may not be for you. I'm happy for a portable package with much better perf than consoles at $999 call it my sweet spot I guess. I just don't need more than that and 1440 works for me. In fact my main TV is still 1080 and 47" so I can jack settings and frames on console style games pretty easily without worrying about overheating the little guy at all. At the same time, when I connect it to a TV at someone else's house it beats their console at the same game even at 4k lol.

hyperbertha

I agree. In the past, laptops sucked for gaming. I would use a desktop and just keep a normal laptop as a general portable computer with the option for low fidelity games like Starcraft 1.

My situation reversed. My desktop has never been upgraded beyond a 1060. Instead I got a gaming laptop with an i7 and 3070 for $999 in 2022. This laptop is thinner and weighs less than my normal Windows laptop with integrated graphics from 10 years ago. It's more powerful than a PS5 yet it can be moved around between different TVs, my monitor, or even (lol) my lap in seconds. I added a 2TB drive so the portable game collection is massive. Most of the time I use it like a desktop to play FPS games and forget I'm using a laptop at all until I yank it to throw in my backpack or wire to the TV instead.

Gaming laptops have a stigma for a reason you sacrificed too much for portability. I was adamant about this myself. Things have gotten better. The thing is you really need to do your research and wait for the right deal. There are more hidden pitfalls.

Of course if what you want is 4k, ray tracing, ultra settings and high frame rates all at the same time laptops may not be for you. I'm happy for a portable package with much better perf than consoles at $999 call it my sweet spot I guess. I just don't need more than that and 1440 works for me. In fact my main TV is still 1080 and 47" so I can jack settings and frames on console style games pretty easily without worrying about overheating the little guy at all. At the same time, when I connect it to a TV at someone else's house it beats their console at the same game even at 4k lol.
At laptop screen sizes you'll never need over 1440p, which is why at the rtx 4070 mark there is no power compromise. It'll run everything you throw at it, even better than most pcs at 4k.

BlackTron

At laptop screen sizes you'll never need over 1440p, which is why at the rtx 4070 mark there is no power compromise. It'll run everything you throw at it, even better than most pcs at 4k.

Well of course at laptop screen sizes. Thankfully, using it as an actual laptop is probably only about 10% of my gaming time on it anyway. I usually use it like a desktop or a console. The thing is having the option to switch between all 3 without it being a project. In that regard modern laptops deliver a USP somewhat similar (but not the same) as a Switch.

Topher

Gold Member
If I'm looking for a midrange PC for gaming then a laptop isn't a bad choice especially for those who don't want to build a PC. The problem with the higher range is heat and noise. But folks are often disappointed with the performance because that 4090 laptop ain't a 4090 at all. It is a highly cut down version and price/performance sucks ass. Even a 4060 isn't as powerful as the desktop version, but at least the price point is better.

What would be nice is if the gaming PC manufacturers would standardize an eGPU IO system that doesn't take the performance hit that USB 4 and thunderbolt do and offload that GPU into an exterior device dedicated for big screen gaming. Really isn't much need for high end GPUs for a laptop screen.

Last edited:
I tried gaming laptops and they are just far too loud when playing anything even slightly demanding. Not too bad if you're using headphones though but when I had one and I was playing in the front room, my wife genuinely thought the laptop was broken lol.

Joel Mchale Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Comfy Desktop or couch. Laptops are for the dark times when there's no other choice. As far as taking it some where, how often do you guys need to play a game out in a setting that isn't your home or at a buddies house? If I'm going to a friends, I'll just bring my Nvidia Shield and stream my desktop to the box at their house. I can't imagine trying to play a game of any accord that I'd find the time to enjoy in a park or at a coffee shop or something. Ya'll are weird.

Topher

Gold Member
I tried gaming laptops and they are just far too loud when playing anything even slightly demanding. Not too bad if you're using headphones though but when I had one and I was playing in the front room, my wife genuinely thought the laptop was broken lol.

Laptops have less internal room for airflow than consoles do so those fans are going to ramp up quickly. If I'm looking at a gaming laptop in the future then it is going to be something that can handle 1080p/60 max. But as others have pointed out, in this day folks are probably better off just buying a Steam Deck (or other handheld) and a non-gaming laptop.

winjer

Gold Member
The only advantage a laptop has is mobility. So if that is a requirement, laptops are the way to go. But for everything else it's worse than a desktop.

Raonak

Banned
I agree. I absolutely hate being stuck to a desk.

These days my favourite combo is MS surface + PS5. Covers all my needs.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gaming laptops are great. The only drawback is the fan. Be sure you fan is set to where it is not running really hard.

You want it be set where it runs dynamically.

Krathoon

What is also great about a laptop is that you can put emulators on them and run all your old games.

Then, you can hook it up to a tv if you want to.

It becomes a portable console in a way.

IAmRei

i'm more to lapptop than PC, it serves me well because i often travels on my works. last time i bought pc is 2008 : )) dang it's too long. i mostly play small or old games. so it's very fine with me to have laptop rather than PC. for gaming need, i still have PS5 and Switch (used mostly docked as well)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is some insecurity I detect. I've owned a pc. These days I'm contemplating getting a laptop. The portability, small form factor and lack of hassle is a huge upgrade. Plus hardware has gotten strong enough it's not much of a power compromise. You seem insecure your pc purchase wasn't the best choice.

That is the dumbest thing I have read in my entire life. Outside of portability, there are no advantages unless ure dumb.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming laptops are interesting the majority of them overheat, and there’s a massive disconnect with actually gaming on that small of a screen.

TheStam

I had a couple of chunky 17 inch laptops the last one with a 1070, then I went back to desktop. I like laptops, they are semi-portable and you can stow them away without needing a permanent "battlestation" in you home.

But the pricing and lack of upgrades is not great and now with PC handhelds like the Steam Deck I feel like desktop + handheld gives you the best of both worlds. Better performance and superior portability with cloud saves and so on.

But if I only had one unit I'd probably choose a laptop.

MikeM

Laptop is perfectly viable. Hell, i’m looking at one or a Steam Deck for gaming outside on those nice summer nights.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But as others have pointed out, in this day folks are probably better off just buying a Steam Deck (or other handheld) and a non-gaming laptop.
Gaben watching as his little handheld causes the collapse of an entire laptop product category

gabe_newell_meme.jpg

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have to disagree, i hated mine, it was always too hot. And i had to change them every few years.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Unless you can find a great deal they're usually a real bad value. Price to performance compared to a desktop is ass. Not mention very little upgradability.

Topher

Gold Member
I've had laptops run around those temps for years with zero problems, even higher when I tried to kill one because I didn't like the keyboard.

Yeah, it really depends on the laptop. I bought an Alienware laptop and I couldn't go an hour without it crashing hard due to heat. Others were better, but the fan noise was annoying. For me, I decided if I wanted performance then I'd have to go with a desktop.

Glad you had better luck tho.

TheStam

Those temps tho....

VPrJScW.png

Now just imagine the fan noise

Matthew Broderick GIF

Might get it down below 80 with a repaste. Although the amount of time I spent repasting laptops and obsessing about heat, fan curves and throttling was somewhat ridiculous.

For noise, just use noise canceling headphones and never date anyone.

Top Bottom