• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot decide on which Xbox Series console to go for

Kliptik81

Neo Member
I'm in the same situation. I've gone almost exclusively digital this gen. I still have the original Xbox One (not S or X) and it works fine for me.
I had the Series S on pre-order, but decided to cancel it, not because I'm worried about resolution or storage or anything, mostly because the launch lineup sucks and the first versions of consoles tend to have a few issues. I decided since I have so many games on backlog, so many other systems (PS4, PS3, PS2, Wii U, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, etc, etc.) that I really don't need the new systems yet. So until some must have games come out, perhaps some sort of bundle (free Game Pass months, extra controller or digital download) I'll save my money.
I am actually disappointed with the lack of demo/information on Series S. I understand it will not perform to Series X/PS5 levels and that ok. But I think it is gonna be a HUGE success. The price point is great, and for the average customer (not hardcore gamers such as us) it is the perfect machine.

Banned
the storage space is the only thing I would really be alarmed about.

if you play on a 1440p screen the graphical difference will be not a big issue.

if you get the S you should DEFINITELY get a 2TB external HDD or SSHD (maybe even a cheap SSD) for backwards compatibility games and to have something you can maybe archive some games on should space on the internal SSD become an issue.

the problem is, should you get the Seagate SSD expansion you basically could just get a Series X instead.

Series S + Expansion Card is absolutely not worth it

Series S + cheaper external drive to compensate is worth it for 1440p users

MrFunSocks

Banned
Are you going to be playing xbox on the 1440p monitor, or the 65" 4K tv? Not sure why anyone would choose to play on the 1440p monitor. Go the X and play it on the big tv.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Unless you're willing to hold out for the mid-gen refresh before you upgrade, I'd just get the X. Even if you're only playing at 1440p in your man cave, you're still going to get consistently higher dynamic resolutions and framerates on the X. Resale/trade value when you do upgrade will be better too.

Provided finances aren't a concern, I'd definitely upgrade. If you're worried about having enough to play, you can always "rent" games on gamepass for a few months and start building your permanent library later.

bender

What time is it?
IF you plan on getting a Series X, I wouldn't invest in a Series S. Either up your budget for launch or just save the $300 until you can afford a series X.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The upgrade for the X1X is the XSX. XSS is a good upgrade for X1S users, or people wanting an affordable second console for Game Pass.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Let me pre empt this with a few things:

• I have a separate room that I prefer to game in, this has my PC and Switch in
  • In their I have a 1440p monitor
  • In the living room I do have a 65" 4k TV
  • I will eventually get a Series X in there when I see a good bundle either way, right now my XOX is there
  • I went all digital this gen anyway, so physical games I pretty much limit to Switch as Nintendo's account sharing is God awful for families
So my issue, or rather question is, I currently have a Series S pre-ordered and the money for it, but should I either upgrade to a Series X or use the extra cash on some games (I have GPU for the next 2 years anyway) such as assassin's creed valhalla?

Is a Series S gonna be enough for that monitor or is going for the Series X just a better option?
If you pre-ordered Series S via Xbox All Access you can upgrade if it becomes necessary. Personally, I don't think the Xbox Series S is going to last the entire gen. People think it will be highly popular due to the cost, but the premium consoles are going to come down in priceto the point where I think people would prefer to spend the extra money and get the upgrade.

Top Bottom