• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't figure out why The Evil Within isn't scary.

Astral

Despite its several flaws, this game has a lot going for in terms of art direction, enemy design, atmosphere, and sound design. It's all fantastic. Most of the chapters imo are some of the best horror levels I've played when it comes to the visuals. I'm playing the Kidman DLC for the first time and I'm only on chapter 2 but I really like it so far even though the stealth is kinda janky. I'm a sucker for dark areas and flashlights. What's bugging me though is that I feel like I should be more scared. Maybe not scared but frequently creeped out at least.

I've played the RE series, Fatal Frame 1 and 2, Alien Isolation, and Silent Hill 1-3. RE isn't scary but REmake still managed to creep me out more than TEW. Alien wasn't scary but it was constantly tense and downright stressful at times. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were really good at making me feel uncomfortable throughout. SH3 was similar in tension to Alien at times. Fatal Frame literally gave me chills. I would often feel it down my spine whenever I encountered a ghost. I'm terrified of ghosts in video games so Fatal Frame fucked me up. Fatal Frame 2 not as much because of how powerful you are but it still had some great standout moments like that goddamn fucking ghost that falls down the stairs. It got me every fucking time. Let's not forget PT which is probably the scariest shit I've ever played.

I'm often praising TEW's art director, etc. so it feels weird not being even a little scared when playing it. The only things I find even a little scary are Laura and this flashlight monster in the DLC.

So yeah I feel like I should be at least a little creeped out playing TEW and I've been trying to figure out why it isn't scary when it does so much right. Maybe it's because of the frequent checkpoints that make death kinda inconsequential or some areas of the game that feel too much like trial and error. I'm curious about what other people think about TEW's horror.

Are you too good at it?

I get that tension usually if I get punished for my mistakes. If there are no consequences behind the horror elements I don't feel it. I can't feel pain the character does, cold, or get tired running away, but I can fear failure.

Honestly? Because it's just a hodgepodge of horror tropes mishmashed and slapped together. You can only be afraid when you are fully immersed in a world that is believable despite the supernatural occurrences/monsters/horrors happening. When it is obvious that the whole thing is just an illusion, it becomes hard to instill fear in the player. Silent Hill 2 works great as a horror game because it has a cohesive feel and identity. The environment, the enemies, the atmospheric effects, they are all based around James Sunderland's psyche and fears. Cohesiveness gives the world authenticity, and makes the dangers feel real and threatening.

The Evil Within fails in this area because none of it makes any sense from the player's perspective. You are constantly thrown from one scenario to the next without any explanation or cohesiveness to the world. That makes it hard to be invested in it, and thus take the dangers of the world seriously and be scared by them.

I literally just finished the game 5 minutes ago.

What a waste of time. I still don't know what happened in this mess. I can't believe I'm going to read all archives to understand what the fuck actually happen at the beacon.

Also, the framerate is just terrible. Not to mention the overall performance.

How the hell Gaf recommend me this at 30 U$ saying it's better than Resident Evil 4?

Not by a long shot....

About the horror aspect, guess that's the only thing they did right. Ruvik is freaking spooky (and can kill you in one hit).

Because it is closer to RE than SH or Fatal Frame from what I've played, and you said it yourself, you're not afraid of RE.

tootie923

It doesn't help that the characters themselves are so emotionless, especially Juli, who gets absolutely no characterization until her DLC chapters. Sebastian is a blank slate protagonist, and not in a good way.

Also once you realize
it's a nightmare state and not actual reality
, it takes a lot of the scare factor away.

How the hell Gaf recommend me this at 30 U$ saying it's better than Resident Evil 4?

Not by a long shot....

Who on GAF? The majority seems to find it mediocre at best. They actually swayed me towards waiting to purchase it only after it's super discounted.

Did you just stick to threads praising it?

Astral

Because it's throwing so much blood, gore and other macabre shit at you that it just becomes meaningless

I forgot to mention this. The gore was too exaggerated. Watching Sebastian explode into chunks of meat was just more funny than anything.

Honestly? Because it's just a hodgepodge of horror tropes mishmashed and slapped together. You can only be afraid when you are fully immersed in a world that is believable despite the supernatural occurrences/monsters/horrors happening. When it is obvious that the whole thing is just an illusion, it becomes hard to instill fear in the player. Silent Hill 2 works great as a horror game because it has a cohesive feel and identity. The environment, the enemies, the atmospheric effects, they are all based around James Sunderland's psyche and fears. Cohesiveness gives the world authenticity, and makes the dangers feel real and threatening.

The Evil Within fails in this area because none of it makes any sense from the player's perspective. You are constantly thrown from one scenario to the next without any explanation or cohesiveness to the world. That makes it hard to be invested in it, and thus take the dangers of the world seriously and be scared by them.

I think the lack of cohesiveness may be it. Because you're constantly and sometimes literally thrown into different scenarios and areas that aren't at all connected, the game lost me ever so briefly. My immersion was reset in a way.

Lol all the threads I see very, very few people say TEW is better than RE4. VERY few.

Guess I caught a bad page on the official thread back then.

I dumped this game years ago, and suddenly I started playing my back catalog on new years eve.

This game also had good reviews didn't?

Still.... Can't give more than 5 out 10. There are so many problems (blurry, framerate, resolution, aiming, camera, texture streaming) and just like someone said in this thread....

It's hard to keep focus on something so disconnected. I lost interest way to quickly. Stopped reading the notes and back story from Sebastian (a very passable voice acting by the way, seems way to forced sometimes)

Hugstable

Banned
Lol all the threads I see very, very few people say TEW is better than RE4. VERY few.

I mean it's a decent game, but if everyone keeps hyping it up as "better" than RE4, everyone gonna end up hating it lol. Like it's a decent 7/10 or so, but come on, better than RE4? That's just crazy talk

atpbx

It's because it's clunky and jarring.

At no point ever does it suck you in as it's always doing something either badly or counter intuitively.

So you never get to feel any immersion you are always thinking "ffs they could of done so much better with this".

Piers

I think Mikami may have not fully understood why the older RE games were scary sans the static camera angles.
Pre-release, Peter Hines playing through Ch. 9 effectively presented how iffy the game was going to be.

Lime

Focus on action mechanics
Faster pacing
Subpar narrative and insignificant characterization
Monster design varying in quality
Change in locales and inconsistent aesthetics

I.e. it's more of an action-horror with supernatural slasher and gore elements than something brooding, horrific, and terrorizing.

I forgot to mention this. The gore was too exaggerated. Watching Sebastian explode into chunks of meat was just more funny than anything.

I think the lack of cohesiveness may be it. Because you're constantly and sometimes literally thrown into different scenarios and areas that aren't at all connected, the game lost me ever so briefly. My immersion was reset in a way.
That's how it was for me, personally. In my opinion, TEW is a game that can't decide what it wants to be. Sometimes it tries to be a horror game, sometimes an action game, and the two just don't mesh that well. RE4 is a fantastic game, but it's really an action game with horror elements. TEW will throw an action section at you, then a horror section, then an action one, and it's all just so jarring. At one moment it is trying to empower you, the next it is attempting to make you feel vulnerable...yet you still have all the equipment and upgrades you've been amassing, so that kind of falls flat.

Even when it's trying to be a horror game it isn't consistent. The game can't decide if it wants to be RE4, RE1, or Silent Hill, and since it commits to none of these inspirations it fails at all of them. It half-heartedly attempts psychological horror with the Safe Head guy and it tries to recreate the mansion feeling with Ruvik's Mansion and it tries to give you the feeling of being pursued by a stronger for with Laura and it tries to recreate the village from RE4...but doesn't realize that aping all of those sections from other games doesn't flow well together. On top of that it does most of those things worse than the games it is inspired by, and doesn't commit to any of them.

I'm still shocked that anyone who likes RE4, or RE1, or Silent Hill likes this game.

Lothar

Banned
It's probably because you're not punished enough for losing. I can remember lots of enemies that could kill you with one hit. Yet you could just go right back to them so there was no tension. RE 4 was the same way. Both games did nothing for me, while I love the tension I get from old RE games, SH 1-3, and Fatal Frame.

Sanctuary

Mikami games are not scary afaik

Because usually the protagonists are empowered

Just because they are not a hide-and-seek simulator or "horror puzzle" game like Amnesia, that doesn't mean the first two RE games aren't full of tense, jump (joy buzzer) moments. Plus, they both had amazing atmosphere. REmake was even better, but it really was just a revision of the first game. The whole "survival horror" name that whoever randomly decided to coin was called that because you are the opposite of empowered for the majority of the game.

I think the reason TEW doesn't work is because:

1. We've already seen its bag of tricks in other, better games already.
2. It doesn't know what kind of game it actually wants to be, and comes off as a "best of" (YMMV) previous horror games, which includes RE4 and RE5. The pacing is also shit because of that.
3. Just a guess, but he's not around all of the same people that allowed the games developed at Capcom to be as special as they were, which includes the budget and team size.

hmm this made me think about how i played the evil within. I think the main reason i wasn't scared or feeling tense playing it, is because the game wants you to play as efficiently as possible, as in lure enemies into traps, bring them to something which can blow them all up with 1 shot that sorta thing,

basically i was more worried about not wasting bullets and items than well.. the enemies in front of me. which results in doing stuff that feels out of place in a horror game, thus making it not so scary.

kinda funny if you think about it.

the kidman DLC was good, it was actually kinda scary IMO

Ralemont

not me
Sebastian is too competent at killing what you're supposed to be scared of. Harry Mason can miss gunshots and swings a pipe like it weighs a thousand pounds. The alien is a OHKO. Clock Tower you have no weapons and need to hide. The more a game relies on twitch skill the less scary it is.

DeathPeak

I'm a baby when it comes to horror. The Evil Within was just the right amount of "horror" for me. Much like the RE games.

I think this is key. In order for a game to be scary, there needs to be a persistent threat. But nothing is persistent in TEW. Nothing sinks in.

Of course, much of the game is very similar to RE4, which does everything in its power to diminish its horror potential, so that's probably also why.

It's too action packed and they give you so much bullshit that makes you feel like you're always equipped to take things on. The game would be a thousand times better if they got rid of that gimmicky crossbow and crafting system. They could have had a real survival horror game but they just turned it into every other action game with some good monster designs.

I also found the game predictable as fuck but that's just me.

Astral

It's too action packed and they give you so much bullshit that makes you feel like you're always equipped to take things on. The game would be a thousand times better if they got rid of that gimmicky crossbow and crafting system. They could have had a real survival horror game but they just turned it into every other action game with some good monster designs.

I also found the game predictable as fuck but that's just me.

I'm actually not a fan of the agony crossbow either. Once you get good at disarming traps you'll be swimming in parts for it and the thing is insanely strong.

Paracelsus

Despite its several flaws, this game has a lot going for in terms of art direction, enemy design, atmosphere, and sound design. It's all fantastic. Most of the chapters imo are some of the best horror levels I've played when it comes to the visuals. I'm playing the Kidman DLC for the first time and I'm only on chapter 2 but I really like it so far even though the stealth is kinda janky. I'm a sucker for dark areas and flashlights. What's bugging me though is that I feel like I should be more scared. Maybe not scared but frequently creeped out at least.

I've played the RE series, Fatal Frame 1 and 2, Alien Isolation, and Silent Hill 1-3. RE isn't scary but REmake still managed to creep me out more than TEW. Alien wasn't scary but it was constantly tense and downright stressful at times. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were really good at making me feel uncomfortable throughout. SH3 was similar in tension to Alien at times. Fatal Frame literally gave me chills. I would often feel it down my spine whenever I encountered a ghost. I'm terrified of ghosts in video games so Fatal Frame fucked me up. Fatal Frame 2 not as much because of how powerful you are but it still had some great standout moments like that goddamn fucking ghost that falls down the stairs. It got me every fucking time. Let's not forget PT which is probably the scariest shit I've ever played.

I'm often praising TEW's art director, etc. so it feels weird not being even a little scared when playing it. The only things I find even a little scary are Laura and this flashlight monster in the DLC.

So yeah I feel like I should be at least a little creeped out playing TEW and I've been trying to figure out why it isn't scary when it does so much right. Maybe it's because of the frequent checkpoints that make death kinda inconsequential or some areas of the game that feel too much like trial and error. I'm curious about what other people think about TEW's horror.

Exactly, it's why survival horror games are no longer about survival but became action games with horror elements in the background. If you don't have to earn your survival, there's no real payoff. A regenerator kills you? Big deal, try again from the sixty seconds old checkpoint.

Exactly, it's why survival horror games are no longer about survival but became action games with horror elements in the background. If you don't have to earn your survival, there's no real payoff. A regenerator kills you? Big deal, try again from the sixty seconds old checkpoint.
Which is exactly why I'm so excited for RE7. Even the Soulsborne games are more survival horror than most games who claim to be 'survival horror' these days.

Maybe because you play as a bizarre character doing bizarre things in a bizarre world with bizzare enemies. I think you have to have some kind of normality or something for players to relate to, in order for horror to work effectively. That's why Silent Hill games hit the spot for me, you are always playing an average Joe in a recognizable world that gets more and more twisted.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For me personally, the forced bad stealth early on just annoyed me so greatly I couldn't focus on any of the horror or tension as I was too focused on what I disliked about it from a mechanical stand point.

I didn't find it scary but I definitely felt gross playing it thanks to the great world building.

Gave me that feeling of being in a warm wet room. ewww.

That's how it was for me, personally. In my opinion, TEW is a game that can't decide what it wants to be. Sometimes it tries to be a horror game, sometimes an action game, and the two just don't mesh that well. RE4 is a fantastic game, but it's really an action game with horror elements. TEW will throw an action section at you, then a horror section, then an action one, and it's all just so jarring. At one moment it is trying to empower you, the next it is attempting to make you feel vulnerable...yet you still have all the equipment and upgrades you've been amassing, so that kind of falls flat.

Even when it's trying to be a horror game it isn't consistent. The game can't decide if it wants to be RE4, RE1, or Silent Hill, and since it commits to none of these inspirations it fails at all of them. It half-heartedly attempts psychological horror with the Safe Head guy and it tries to recreate the mansion feeling with Ruvik's Mansion and it tries to give you the feeling of being pursued by a stronger for with Laura and it tries to recreate the village from RE4...but doesn't realize that aping all of those sections from other games doesn't flow well together. On top of that it does most of those things worse than the games it is inspired by, and doesn't commit to any of them.

I'm still shocked that anyone who likes RE4, or RE1, or Silent Hill likes this game.

This is probably the biggest problem IMO, good post!

lome88

Because there's just, generally, no mystery.

Great horror is predicated on the idea that there is something out there that's getting you and you may catch glimpses of it but you have NO idea what exactly it is. That's why the Alien from the original 1979 movie was so god damned terrifying. You see little hints, small glimpses. You can even roughly make out its general shape over the course of the movie but the most horrific thing about it is that A) We don't know what the hell it really is (origin) and B) We know that is at least somewhat intelligent. With only those things to go on, we invest in the quirky sci fi narrative and relatable characters and put ourselves in their shoes as they try their best to survive with something that is unknowable and constantly hunting.

The Evil Within has no such ambience. The first real enemy in the game is probably the most scary and it's for the exact reasons I stated above. Why is this butcher here? How did they get all these bodies down here? Am I still in the hospital etc. etc. There's more questions than answers - the only answer we do have is that this guy gets wicked pissed when he sees you've escaped.

After that, you get a pretty steady drip feed on what is going on in this world, who the major characters are, and you get lots of one on one time with the major boss/villains to the point where, when they show up, they're never really that nefarious. Halfway through that game I knew what the gimmick with the plot was and that I should expect to see a shift in horror tropes for the remaining chapters. Lo and behold, we do that exact thing. That's not scary. The same thing, to go back to Alien, happens with that series. The more we find out about the Aliens and possible origin stories and we see more and more about their society and hierarchy, they become less scary and more imposing. Aliens is a great action movie, but not a great horror movie. The Evil Within is a great action game, not a great horror game.

Oh, I see quite a few.
It's a fuck ton better than Resident Evil 4.

Agreed OP, played both games at time of release and multiple times each and prefer Evil Within over RE4.

Now where's the sequel?
Agreed. Game is a blast to play and I much rather replay TEW than RE4. Could use bit more dumb humor though. And while the game gives you less ammo I think it gives way too much trap parts so you never really run out of ammo. Not only that but the regular harpoon bolt is OP as hell when upgraded to max and costs like 2 parts.
OP, you're going to get slaughtered by GAF but I kinda agree with you. I love RE4 but feel TEW does everything it does, only better. Not perfect by any means, but a great ride from start to finish.
I agree with you OP even if many won't. I love Evil Within much more then any of the action Resident Evil's from 4 onwards.

Some complain that EW gets too shooty later on but since we're comparing to RE4 then that game is much worse in that regard.

I hail Resident Evil 4 as my favorite game of all time, but the truth of the matter is that I had a REALLY HARD TIME going back to it after playing so much of The Evil Within. TEW just feels better and plays better overall. While I refuse to downplay the effect that RE4 has had on my life (I met so, so many of my best friends because of this game) and on gaming in general, the fact of the matter is that TEW provides a more fun experience in the modern era, mechanically. I completely understand the sentiment behind TEW souring RE4 for someone if that person didn't previously have an attachment to the latter.

I dislike the idea of comparing story and characters between the two games, though. It's definite apples and oranges and reminds me way too much of the old RE vs SH debates from yesteryear -- which were also stupid and served no point. The games are different, the storytelling is different, the horror is different, the themes are different. They're different.
I recently started RE4 once more as preparation for the RE7 release in January. While I didn't touch it for quite some time, I remember it (as well as most of the people who played it, especially on GAF) as one of the best games ever even if I'm not too keen on the direction it took the franchise in.

While the game is still a blast to play and has a decent atmosphere, the only thing I'm thinking most of the time is...

"Why I'm not playing The Evil Within instead"?

Of course there are quite a lot of common traits between the two games, but I can't help feeling that Mikami took the very basics of RE4 and transformed them into something that is (IMO) a bit better even with its technical flaws.

While neither of these two titles has ever disturbed me or made me jump from my seat (Silent Hill, Siren and Condemned are still my favorites here), both can be still quite creepy at times. However, The Evil Within is much more consistent in that regard. The encounters with Laura and the Amalgam creature are the most tense experience I had this generation and nothing from what Resident Evil has brough to the table during the past two console generations has ever come close. I would go as far as saying that the amount of stress and tension were much higher than anything RE could ever offer (yes, even REmake).

The atmosphere is second to none and is maybe the closest to what REmake, Silent Hill and Siren had to offer. This is something RE4 lacked due to its too frequent enemy encounters which restricted my ability to just soak in the environment and made disposal of the enemies more routine activity.

Playing both side to side also shows that TEW is the more challenging of the two. And that's not only thanks to to lesser amount of weapons and ammo, as well as the need to pass through some of the enemies unnoticed. The overall amount of encounters is dialed down considerably, but each enemy is much smarter and hard to take down than your average Ganado.

Finally, no matter how better Resident Evil 4 looked for its time compared to TEW (I'm speaking strictly from technical perspective), the latter still has it beat when it comes down to art direction, environment variety and monster design. There is a nice thread about the stunning art of this game that I urge everyone to check out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199143

If you have ever put-off by the initial impressions based on the numerous technical shortcomings of the game, give it another try with all patches installed or better get the PC version. This is one of the very few games that get better with each subsequent playthrough and will be looked more and more favorably as the time goes by.

Fury451

Banned
Because it's throwing so much blood, gore and other macabre shit at you that it just becomes meaningless

This is part of it. It tries to up the ante and does it in such nonsensical and ridiculous ways that it loses itself when flinging the player from one jarring location to the other. It's also an unnecessarily convoluted plot that is actually fairly basic, and fails to be very engaging because you don't really have a solid idea of what the hell is happening or why you should care about stopping Ruvik until like the last 2 hours of the game.

The other part of it is if you take step back, it's a shitty knockoff of RE4, and more broadly the RE series in general. I didn't know it was possible for a creator to plagiarize themselves.

Oh look, a village with torch and axe wielding monsters

Oh look bear traps

Oh look a chainsaw wielding heavy monster with a messed up face

Oh look rummaging around ruins of a stone castle environment

Oh look running around a creepy mansion that houses weird experiments

Oh look monsters in a dungeon with a claw arm

Oh look giant ogre monsters

Oh look instant kill enemies that you're not sure if you can fight or not

Oh look invisible enemies that you can only track by watching for splashes

Oh look when you some later game enemies tentacles may pop out of their heads to one hit kill you. They're basically repackaged Ganados.

Oh look a monster made of dangly parts that you have to shoot in the eye (garage monster)

Then you have the "homage" to RE1 with the cop turning around creepily with his busted up face. Which they proceed to do again like 4 more times.

Same shit, but bad and clunky.

That's when it's not cribbing ideas from other survival horror games too; several parts have that "hell" look Silent Hill does (particularly with the industrial environments with the long haired monster with all the arms.

Then- oh look a creepy nurse, what is this silent hill you speak of? Okay, that one may be nitpicking. There's more, but you get the point.

It tries too hard to be visceral and induce fear with violence, when it's really an incredibly surface level splatter movie scary at best.

Because there's just, generally, no mystery.

Great horror is predicated on the idea that there is something out there that's getting you and you may catch glimpses of it but you have NO idea what exactly it is. That's why the Alien from the original 1979 movie was so god damned terrifying. You see little hints, small glimpses. You can even roughly make out its general shape over the course of the movie but the most horrific thing about it is that A) We don't know what the hell it really is (origin) and B) We know that is at least somewhat intelligent. With only those things to go on, we invest in the quirky sci fi narrative and relatable characters and put ourselves in their shoes as they try their best to survive with something that is unknowable and constantly hunting.

The Evil Within has no such ambience. The first real enemy in the game is probably the most scary and it's for the exact reasons I stated above. Why is this butcher here? How did they get all these bodies down here? Am I still in the hospital etc. etc. There's more questions than answers - the only answer we do have is that this guy gets wicked pissed when he sees you've escaped.

After that, you get a pretty steady drip feed on what is going on in this world, who the major characters are, and you get lots of one on one time with the major boss/villains to the point where, when they show up, they're never really that nefarious. Halfway through that game I knew what the gimmick with the plot was and that I should expect to see a shift in horror tropes for the remaining chapters. Lo and behold, we do that exact thing. That's not scary. The same thing, to go back to Alien, happens with that series. The more we find out about the Aliens and possible origin stories and we see more and more about their society and hierarchy, they become less scary and more imposing. Aliens is a great action movie, but not a great horror movie. The Evil Within is a great action game, not a great horror game.

Great post overall, really good insight.

It honestly should be more of an action game than it is, because it would've been a fun ride.

It was more tense in the beginning when you're extremely weak and don't know the game well yet.

Also screw you guys for saying the crossbow is bad, the crossbow is the best weapon in the game with its versatility! In fact I would take a whole game designed with just that crossbow as a weapon.

Astral

It was more tense in the beginning when you're extremely weak and don't know the game well yet.

Also screw you guys for saying the crossbow is bad, the crossbow is the best weapon in the game with its versatility! In fact I would take a whole game designed with just that crossbow as a weapon.

It just becomes a little too powerful at one point. It does feel pretty good though.

zma1013

It's like that same thing that happens when a friend want to show you a funny video and he stares directly at your face the whole time expecting you to laugh while saying "It's funny right? See that, that's funny?"

Now apply this to a horror game. "It's scary right? See how scary it is? See that horror over there?"

Coda

The gameplay was too jank for me to enjoy TEW. I just couldn't bear all the trial by error deaths and drawn out gameplay. Visuals were nice though, and it had a nice atmosphere.

The story isn't quite fed to the player in a plate but you can make sense of it. The dlc stuff adds to it. That aside, the game jumps around for a reason and if you don't understand why by the end, or think It makes sense. Don't know what to tell you. I'm still not one to say it's better then RE4, even as much as I love TEW. I will say there are thinks I think each game does better then the other and it would be awesome to see the best of both worlds in a single package.

As far as scary, it made me tense at times or feel like ohhhhh shit, but it didn't scare me, then again neither did RE4. Granted I think the atmosphere and the bosses designs are creepy as hell in TEW.

As Dusk has said countless times and I agree, this is one of the most divisive horror games around.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Scariness is subjective, I'll say everytime someone questions something or another about scariness. It's not an objective statement though a generalized answer can be forged, but you'll probably have a hard time getting a generalized answer by something as divisive as Evil Within.

The story isn't quite fed to the player in a plate but you can make sense of it. The dlc stuff adds to it. That aside, the game jumps around for a reason and if you don't understand why by the end, or think It makes sense. Don't know what to tell you. I'm still not one to say it's better then RE4, even as much as I love TEW. I will say there are thinks I think each game does better then the other and it would be awesome to see the best of both worlds in a single package.

As far as scary, it made me tense at times or feel like ohhhhh shit, but it didn't scare me, then again neither did RE4. Granted I think the atmosphere and the bosses designs are creepy as hell in TEW.

As Dusk has said countless times and I agree, this is one of the most divisive horror games around.

Oh my timing, ohohoho~

But seriously, you'll find a pretty good mixture of people who actively not just dislike but seemingly loathe Evil Within, and the same number of people who seemingly don't just like Evil Within but love Evil Within. And then everything in-between. I've talked about that enough, people will try to say their side is right but objectively (instead of subjectively), people's subjectivity on the game is so divided, it's hard to forge an overall consensus.

It's one of the biggest love/hate games you'll find, and maybe the most divisive horror game ever.

Top Bottom