• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cant stop eating junk food and sad

work remotes sometimes and go out for contract work I harv 2 jobs wife dont cook I always have to get door delivery or eat portato chips I am so fat I am ashamed to jiggle down the street water tastes like crud but I will stop drinking coke this is good advice one time I tried perrier water flavored and it was ok

I do gaming but I will try to practise drawing now thank you my friends
Sounds like your taste buds have been thoroughly messed up.

Do yourself a favor and drop eating any preprocessed "food". Its worthless calories. They don't give you any meaningful nutrition other than a fleeting temporary satisfaction. I know its easier said than done, but if you do it gradually you'll eventually be able to leave the habit behind.

DO NOT DO THAT. That's how I ended up with a huge gut.

At least have a real breakfast and a real lunch. Dinner can be a small thing.
Wouldn't advice it unless you lead an active life. Also, my lineage has adapted to famine.

G. Michael Hopf — 'Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.'

No sodas and fast food.
Drink water and eat more veggies and fruits.
Exercise. Just go a walk for like 30min.

Learn to cook. There are lots of easy recipes on youtube. They are very straightforward. In fact, some you just need a rice cooker and nothing else. Lately I've been making bread. No oven. Just a frying pan. Super easy recipe, just flour, water, sugar, salt, and yeast. Egg and milk optional.

Griffon

Drink normal/carbonated water instead of soda.
Drink coffee and/or tea instead of snacking (most people do both (depending of time of day), some people have a preference). Don't put sugar nor cream in either, you'll quickly get used to it.

Last edited:
It's simple, but difficult.

1) Eliminate processed foods. Poultry, fish, eggs. Vegetables. Oatmeal and rice. Beans. Tomatoes. That's your diet.

2) Drink water. Don't drink things that aren't water. (Tea is okay.)

3) Start walking at least half an hour (continuously, not this 'daily steps nonsense) every day.

4) Do this consistently for, say, 3-4 months. At that point, find a real professional exercise program to follow. Follow it. I use Tactical Barbell (books are on Amazon for cheap).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think you’ll get respect by proving yourself right over time you’re worthy enough of eating less junk food.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think you are addicted to sugar. I know because I get it too. The best thing to do is clear out all the sugar from your home, and you also need to drink a lot of water so you can flush your system. The third day without sugar or salt is really hard, and for a while you will feel really lethargic. But if you can have the will power you will begin to see change. When you get a craving, just do something to overcome it like walk or lift. If you are a big guy, you will lose about 10 pounds in one week with of just water weight.

Raven117

It's simple, but difficult.

1) Eliminate processed foods. Poultry, fish, eggs. Vegetables. Oatmeal and rice. Beans. Tomatoes. That's your diet.

2) Drink water. Don't drink things that aren't water. (Tea is okay.)

3) Start walking at least half an hour (continuously, not this 'daily steps nonsense) every day.

4) Do this consistently for, say, 3-4 months. At that point, find a real professional exercise program to follow. Follow it. I use Tactical Barbell (books are on Amazon for cheap).
Other than this (which is absolutely the correct advice), you may need to seek a weight loss therapist.

Clearly your relationship with food, is not as simple as “don’t eat that.” You have something else going on. That, or you need to suck it up and handle it.

Dutchy

With food, you've got to go grocery shopping and interact with food on a regular basis, even in a professional setting (especially if you work in the food industry in some way!) aka you're probably always near food. The difficulty also compounds itself if you live with others (roommates, spouse, kids, etc.) that also makes bad food choices.

The fast food companies, and processed food industry in America specifically, design their foods to be chemically addicting without regards to individual health. Overcoming this takes a massive amount of willpower and determination. Even when you break the cycle of addiction, the cravings will follow you probably the rest of your life.
Most people in America are a prisoner of their own system when it comes to having a healthy lifestyle especially in regards to food. And I feel awful about that.

Here in Europe, I've known some people really struggling with severe obesity. But they had everything working in their favor: Only a moderate amount of fast food chains and they don't advertise out the wazoo. Supermarkets (and even fast food chains) offer a lot of health(ier) options. Health care is very affordable and I know for a fact that anyone who can get their obesity settled with a doctor can work out at almost any gym free of charge. You can even get additional work-out or diet costs completely subsidized. TV rarely shows unhealthy food commercials either.

Trying to lose weight over there is not only a physical battle. Every day you're being subjugated to literal psychological warfare. I can only imagine how difficult that must be so I have nothing but immense respect for anyone taking on this fight. You can do it.

And if not, move in with me in The Netherlands and we'll forage the wildlands for chestnuts together.

No snacking after dinner to bedtime.

No liquid calories. If you have to have a soda, Coke Zero or equivalent zero calorie pop.

Start walking 30-40 min every day.

Just start with those and you'll start heading in the other direction. That's how I started last year, and I lost 70 lbs in 2023. I added in more as time went on, especially turning up the exercise as I started to get in better shape, but that's the start.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
walks every day for 2-3 miles (tip: listen to audio books)- start at 0.5 mile or w/e you are capable and work your way up
stop putting extra cheese/sour cream on stuff. I see too many americans do this
no soda
fruits for sweet tooth
stop buying garbage at the store ie doritos, oreos, etc

intermittent fasting is a good short term strategy, but it does not work in the long run (weight will come back). forming new habits is the key to long term weight loss

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
For people with addictive personalities sometimes the only solution is to become addicted to exercise.

A common misconception is that exercise is like snorting coke, that will make you go “omg that feels so great” and that’s how you become addicted.

In reality, however long you do it, and however good you are, the burn and panting will always feel bad (even David Goggins feels bad while running), yet you gradually notice you are addicted to something that exercise gives you, because you just keep on doing it.

It’s the weirdest thing.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just made myself an uncouth Joseph

(Sloppy Joe)

Left over bolognaise. A burger bun which I put some spread on to pan cook to toast. Some lettuce tex mex seasoning powder bbq sauce and a slice of Gouda cheese.

While not as dirty/greasy as take away.

It hit the spot. Took me no time at all.
Peace all over you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A common misconception is that exercise is like snorting coke, that will make you go “omg that feels so great” and that’s how you become addicted.

In reality, however long you do it, and however good you are, the burn and panting will always feel bad (even David Goggins feels bad while running), yet you gradually notice you are addicted to something that exercise gives you, because you just keep on doing it.

It’s the weirdest thing.
Endorphins certainly are a thing, but you have to be in decent condition to even get to feeling them properly. Once you can do heavy cardio for 45-60 minutes you’ll unlock a different world. Lifting heavy barbells feels great too.

Biff

So did OP really peace out of this thread after 20 mins and not come back?

50+ people spent some time of out their day to help this dude, and the guy doesn't make an effort to reply or even come back to the thread to say "Thanks I'll try XYZ".

Paging GigaBowser GigaBowser you good bro? Look at how many people are cheering you on!

Last edited:
i like the mallomars
iu

So did OP really peace out of this thread after 20 mins and not come back?

50+ people spent some time of out their day to help this dude, and the guy doesn't make an effort to reply or even come back to the thread to say "Thanks I'll try XYZ".

Paging GigaBowser GigaBowser you good bro? Look at how many people are cheering you on!
Hopefully he's doing some quiet self reflecting. Everyone is giving him sound advice here which he probably wasn't expecting. I'm proud of you GAF.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
On the advice of a therapist, I began working on what he called the 7 pillars of happiness to help curb my addictive tendencies:

Spirituality (I suck at this as an atheist but his advice was meditation, if you’re religious, make sure you’re practicing)

Physical body (diet, exercise, grooming)

Passions/Hobbies

Relationships (with kids date nights had been neglected so we made sure to put them on the calendar)

Knowledge (been reading more history myself but could be any subject you’re interested in, I also read a lot of astronomy stuff)

Self Care (massage, deprivation tank for me, pedicures for my wife, etc.)

Professionally/Occupation (fulfillment from your job, work life balance)

All of these feed into your mental health and feed off one another. What he had me do was rank them all on a scale of 1-10 to help figure out what areas to focus on, and then re rank again after a week or two. And, when I’m actually following that, it really works. The rising tide lifts all the stats up too. Just think of it like playing a Persona game: it’s kind of a grind to raise your stats but then you get to bang your high school teacher by the end

Last edited:

John Bilbo

On the advice of a therapist, I began working on what he called the 7 pillars of happiness to help curb my addictive tendencies:

Spirituality (I suck at this as an atheist but his advice was meditation, if you’re religious, make sure you’re practicing)

Physical body (diet, exercise, grooming)

Passions/Hobbies

Relationships (with kids date nights had been neglected so we made sure to put them on the calendar)

Knowledge (been reading more history myself but could be any subject you’re interested in, I also read a lot of astronomy stuff)

Self Care (massage, deprivation tank for me, pedicures for my wife, etc.)

Professionally/Occupation (fulfillment from your job, work life balance)

All of these feed into your mental health and feed off one another. What he had me do was rank them all on a scale of 1-10 to help figure out what areas to focus on, and then re rank again after a week or two. And, when I’m actually following that, it really works. The rising tide lifts all the stats up too. Just think of it like playing a Persona game: it’s kind of a grind to raise your stats but then you get to bang your high school teacher by the end
Im Back Wake Up GIF

OK let's do this

Top Bottom