• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I decided last night that I will never get married......ever.

I too feel like I can't get married but for different reasons. I don't want to deal with in laws so unless both her parents are dead it won't be happening.

you sound like a fucking simp op, im assuming you have male listed on your driver's license right?

Act like one, ohhh I dont wanna have kids in this climate. Admit it, you are selfish and don't want to direct any of your time away from yourself. The look after your parents is also laughable, i would bet they are a couple decades away from needing your help so again more selfish reasoning.

I have no doubt you would rather sit at home and jerk off to anime rather than take your kids outside, grow your own food or spend time developing and maintaining a real home for your kids.

I would be embarrassed of my kids if they had your mindset and consider my raising them right a failure.

Useless pieces of shit like you are why the west is fucked up.

Stop being selfish

you sound like a fucking simp op, im assuming you have male listed on your driver's license right?

Act like one, ohhh I dont wanna have kids in this climate. Admit it, you are selfish and don't want to direct any of your time away from yourself. The look after your parents is also laughable, i would bet they are a couple decades away from needing your help so again more selfish reasoning.

I have no doubt you would rather sit at home and jerk off to anime rather than take your kids outside, grow your own food or spend time developing and maintaining a real home for your kids.

I would be embarrassed of my kids if they had your mindset and consider my raising them right a failure.

Useless pieces of shit like you are why the west is fucked up.

Stop being selfish
I fap to your wife's pictures everyday.

TindalosPup

I'm not married but I've been where you are before, until someone special came around and changed my mind in ways I never thought I'd encounter outside of my dreams

Meeting someone you can share your life with isn't something you can necessarily plan, it tends to happen when it wants to, usually when you stop looking for it, then they make their entrance and you never want them to make an exit

No matter what happens, I wish you happiness and all the love you need in life

DJR

My marriage lasted a year and that's it. Nothing changed, just a ring on the finger and a piece of paper. We thought it would help, turned out it didn't! Still, the reception was a good party at least and the food was top notch..

From the perspective of some old geezer who has been in relationships for around 28 years of his life with several women but is a single living alone now and who has two kids:

* Yep, don't marry. That fairy tale story about "the one" you will meet and it's all fine and dandy is all bullshit.
* Kids are amazing but very expensive. That "don't want to get children this world we live in"-stuff is bollocks, though. This time is the best humanity has ever experienced.

So, don't get married, but if you can spare the money, get a child.

Nothing wrong with that mindset, although I would appreciate you stop scaring away our customers from the gym with these shenanigans. We get it, you don't like women, cool. But this is not ok to scare the men like this!

what time you get off work? Let's hit the gym!!

Last edited:
I came to this exact same revelation when I was younger, about a year before I met my current wife and had kids. Carry on man, carry on.
Same.

Marriage is stupid, until you make a new best friend, who you prefer the company of to everyone else alive, who also has an absolutely spectacular pair of tits that she'll let you do as you want with, and then suddenly you just get it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mLSrusI.jpg
I call it "kinetic verbal encouragement". 🐹

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Hey ya'll, it's me again.

So I've always battled the notion of getting married to another person, but I thought I was religiously obligated to do so. Luckily, that wasn't the case and it genuinely removed a huge mental burden off my back.

Now, what I will say is to reach the ultimate form of manhood is by getting married and having/raising kids. I will never ever disrespect any person who wishes to do so and I genuinely commend them for doing so in an increasingly selfish and narcissistic age that we live in.

Now, as to why I don't ever want to get married? It's quite simple:
  • I don't want to compromise myself for anyone else except for my parents when they reach old age.
  • Children are the apples of ny person's eyes. However, I don't see myself raising a child in this current world that we live in, especially one that has brap brap in it.
  • I feel more relaxed and comfortable knowing that I don't have to work hard financially for anyone else except for myself. Having a family is an expensive endeavour but fortunately, countries have pretty good child support programs.
This may make me look and sound completely and utterly selfish and immature, but I believe marriage for someone like me isn't a suitable choice to make. It's a controversial thing to claim, but I'm hoping to hear some diverse opinions on the matter and don't hold back!

Don't feel bad about any of this! You've got to do what will make YOU happy. I believe in you, and wish you all the best! ♥

Sleepwalker

Being married is amazing, it's like playing this shitty, heavy grind oriented and pay to win RPG called life, but in co-op mode. You level up faster and unlock better skills. The grind also is massively reduced as you get 2x the loot drop and will be able to upgrade your gear, house or gadgets at a faster rate. You also unlock the sex perk which multiplies the rate of sexual encounters per week. Only drawback is you get locked into doing it with one character only, unless you use a cheat engine but it is not advisable as it might make the game unstable.

The kids DLC is a pretty mixed bag and we've decided to skip it for now. You get access to the "family man" and "provider" perks, as well as the "new meaning of life" achievement. However, depending on how many add ons you buy for this package (min 1, max unlimited) your resources will deplete incrementally and you will have to eat into what you previously built. Your new recruits also get to a point where they just up and leave to pursue new side quests without you.

GL on the grind, OP.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this thread reflects a state of arrested development that people have reached in the West - that we don't want to do our bit to make civilisation better by creating civilised humans, that people don't want to be responsible for another human. The truth is that the way to being a man is to be responsible for another. Without that you're just a kid living on pocket money.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tell that to those men I know who tried a few times, got divorced and are paying shitloads of money to their "ones" who are sucking off other men now.

They made the mistake of choosing women who didn't have the same goal. There are good women out there, it's just a question of finding them (hint: not on Tinder). The alternative is getting old and realising that you're incredibly lonely. The decisions we make when we're young are important because, as your friends have found, the costs of failure last forever. It's a tightrope. Happiness and fulfillment if you get it right, and if you get it wrong eternal loneliness or the horror of divorce.

Let's not become incels or MGTOW or whatever other bollocks - that's just being a weak pussy and giving up.

LokusAbriss

I feel like this thread reflects a state of arrested development that people have reached in the West - that we don't want to do our bit to make civilisation better by creating civilised humans, that people don't want to be responsible for another human. The truth is that the way to being a man is to be responsible for another. Without that you're just a kid living on pocket money.
Marriage and children are totally detached from "beeing a man". There are countless men who contribute immensely to society in other and sometimes more important ways.

I belive that a good marriage will have a huge positive impact on you and your family / friends. Finding a life long partner and bringing kids into this world is a natural desire and many people follow this goal. Having your own family gives you a lot of stability and can make you stronger. Striving for becoming a better version of yourself. But marriage and kids mean work. A lot of work to make it last and enjoyable for a long time. I can't imagine beeing alone when old, shit would make me miserable to have created nothing.

From my experience, people do want to be responsible for others. They want a good partner and a home. But things have become overly complicated for people to reach that. Everybody is getting told to wait with kids and marriage. As a man, you have to check all the boxes, woman expect you to come with just for dating. Beeing seen as a potential husband / father is even harder. Today, you have to have the income, the reputable job, good looks, the car, the house, look like a marvel avenger and so on. They dont understand that you cant work 60 hours a week and train 6 times a week. Definetely not all woman are that picky, but no normal woman will love you unconditionally.

And then you see all the failing relationships or have experienced one. Sometimes that leaves scars for life. With the wrong woman, marriage can turn into a real nightmare. Who wants to lose half their money, pension, properties and their kids on top. Or you marry and end up with a drought of sex. Finding the right one can be hard and even when you are sure to be safe, it can change any time. And if you are sure, that it is nothing for you and that the risks are too high, just don't do it.

But I still think that marriage and kids are some extremely beautiful and satisfying things in life. Holding your own kid for the first time, is something out of this world. Feelings you never had before.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't wanna get married ether.

my parents weren't married so i grew up seeing them have a great relationship which made me think what's the point of it. also i've seen how it can fuck peoples lives up if it goes to shit. it can get real nasty during a divorce.

it ain't for me. i'm sure i could have a long happy relationship with someone without having to get married.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Marriage and children are totally detached from "beeing a man". There are countless men who contribute immensely to society in other and sometimes more important ways.

I belive that a good marriage will have a huge positive impact on you and your family / friends. Finding a life long partner and bringing kids into this world is a natural desire and many people follow this goal. Having your own family gives you a lot of stability and can make you stronger. Striving for becoming a better version of yourself. But marriage and kids mean work. A lot of work to make it last and enjoyable for a long time. I can't imagine beeing alone when old, shit would make me miserable to have created nothing.

From my experience, people do want to be responsible for others. They want a good partner and a home. But things have become overly complicated for people to reach that. Everybody is getting told to wait with kids and marriage. As a man, you have to check all the boxes, woman expect you to come with just for dating. Beeing seen as a potential husband / father is even harder. Today, you have to have the income, the reputable job, good looks, the car, the house, look like a marvel avenger and so on. They dont understand that you cant work 60 hours a week and train 6 times a week. Definetely not all woman are that picky, but no normal woman will love you unconditionally.

And then you see all the failing relationships or have experienced one. Sometimes that leaves scars for life. With the wrong woman, marriage can turn into a real nightmare. Who wants to lose half their money, pension, properties and their kids on top. Or you marry and end up with a drought of sex. Finding the right one can be hard and even when you are sure to be safe, it can change any time. And if you are sure, that it is nothing for you and that the risks are too high, just don't do it.

But I still think that marriage and kids are some extremely beautiful and satisfying things in life. Holding your own kid for the first time, is something out of this world. Feelings you never had before.

The best things in life aren't easy. It's why you have to be picky. And yes as a man you CAN be picky. Don't just poke any old hole. Btw re checking boxes - I check most of them now barring the looks, but when I met my wife I was kipping on a mate's sofa and getting turned down for cleaning jobs having just returned to the country after fleeing what was looking like becoming a civil war. That's not to say she didn't see potential. as I'm an intelligent chap and have previously earned good money. You certainly need to have something to bring to the table, but it's also on you to make sure that she brings something. If she doesn't, if she shows signs of being the kind of woman you don't want to live with for the rest of your life, move on and learn, find a better option.

There are good women out there...
"Good woman" is usually a term for a woman that is a couple steps less attractive than you and where you have the upper hand in the relationship (usually because you are less attracted to her than she is to you), so the chances of her leaving you are very slim.

The alternative is getting old and realising that you're incredibly lonely.
Or getting old, having many good friends, relatives and kids.

Let's not become incels or MGTOW or whatever other bollocks - that's just being a weak pussy and giving up.
I give you that point.
;)

But marriage is definitely not the answer to that.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't want to get married either, or live with anyone. I like having my own place, and lots of space and time for myself. But I definitely don't want to be totally single either.

I'll probably have to give in at some point. Been dating my girlfriend for 4 years and she's getting pissy about it. But I don't see how it'll be an improvement. We even considered buying neighboring houses and building some hallway between the two lol. That's the dream for me.

LokusAbriss

I don't want to get married either, or live with anyone. I like having my own place, and lots of space and time for myself. But I definitely don't want to be totally single either.

I'll probably have to give in at some point. Been dating my girlfriend for 4 years and she's getting pissy about it. But I don't see how it'll be an improvement. We even considered buying neighboring houses and building some hallway between the two lol. That's the dream for me.
You can have the same freedom and time for yourself while living together. Enough room and clear communication can make this possible.

It will become much easier, when you want to spend with each other. Sharing housework and cooking can make life easier too.

But I find it hard to recommend things like living together and marriage to people who don't like to follow the norm. Nobody should chose somthing that will make them less happy.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
"Good woman" is usually a term for a woman that is a couple steps less attractive than you and where you have the upper hand in the relationship (usually because you are less attracted to her than she is to you), so the chances of her leaving you are very slim.

Or getting old, having many good friends, relatives and kids.

I give you that point.
;)

But marriage is definitely not the answer to that.

That's some incel shit right there. There are plenty of good women who aren't money-grabbing shits, and who are attractive. For sure attractiveness being a cheat code for life does cause a percentage to be utterly boring, but who would want to be with someone boring long term? Bang and move on. I've had my fair share of experiences of mad women in my youth, the highlight being the one who faked cancer, a miscarriage and her friend's death in a car crash. I also know people who made bad choices and suffered for it - a friend we nicknamed Gump (as in Forrest) because his woman walked all over him, another who married the first girl to shag him, who just wants kids and never having to work, wouldn't let him have any female friends, would ring him up before his exams at uni to start an argument with him and demand she drive all the way from Bristol to London to sort some shit out. We've all known mad women. The trick is to get that experience so you can spot the warning signs, avoid the bullshit and marry a good one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You can have the same freedom and time for yourself while living together. Enough room and clear communication can make this possible.

It will become much easier, when you want to spend with each other. Sharing housework and cooking can make life easier too.

But I find it hard to recommend things like living together and marriage to people who don't like to follow the norm. Nobody should chose somthing that will make them less happy.
I hope so, I'm sure I'll give it a shot. You kind of have to try moving forward after a while or else it's not really fair to your partner. Gotta compromise sometimes.

That's some incel shit right there.
Funny, that's just what I thought reading your stuff about the "good woman".

Like I wrote, I have been in long term relationships for 28 years. Longest one was for seven years. I have been living together with women, did the house and garden thing, kids, etc.

Those women were "good women". It's just there are happening so many things in life that change people and their views.

Last edited:

nush

They made the mistake of choosing women who didn't have the same goal.

So it's the mans fault? OK. Takes two to tango but if the woman goes back on her word, says what you want to hear then it's the mans fault for not having the clairvoyancey his penis grants him.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So it's the mans fault? OK. Takes two to tango but if the woman goes back on her word, says what you want to hear then it's the mans fault for not having the clairvoyancey his penis grants him.

*sigh* don't be so daft. If a woman is a terrible person that's her fault, but the man is at fault for not doing his homework. Like all things in life, the end result is a mix of luck and judgement - just as eating healthily, exercising and not smoking improves your odds of being healthy but doesn't protect you from being hit by a truck, so making good choices with women improves your odds. Frankly many of the men I've known who had issues were either wet behind the ears or thought with their penises and didn't consider the long-term implications, behaving much like those women who move from one abusive wife-beater to another and then bemoan how all men are crap. I would have thought on this site, more than any other, notions of personal responsibility might be popular.

I had two times the fun, with the moms of my kids.
Each time we were talking how we envision our future with kids, just to find out that "terms" have changed massively after the kid was born, leading to break ups later on.

I felt like Lando in cloud city debating with Darth Vader.

nush

*sigh* don't be so daft. If a woman is a terrible person that's her fault, but the man is at fault for not doing his homework. Like all things in life, the end result is a mix of luck and judgement - just as eating healthily, exercising and not smoking improves your odds of being healthy but doesn't protect you from being hit by a truck, so making good choices with women improves your odds. Frankly many of the men I've known who had issues were either wet behind the ears or thought with their penises and didn't consider the long-term implications, behaving much like those women who move from one abusive wife-beater to another and then bemoan how all men are crap. I would have thought on this site, more than any other, notions of personal responsibility might be popular.

Way to miss my point.

She can appear and act like everything is fine, you take your time before putting a ring on it an boom. She stops making any effort and thinks a husband is a new dad who'll pay for everything and she can boss around.

You can do your homework, use judgement and still get fucked.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Way to miss my point.

She can appear and act like everything is fine, you take your time before putting a ring on it an boom. She stops making any effort and thinks a husband is a new dad who'll pay for everything and she can boss around.

You can do your homework, use judgement and still get fucked.

You'll note my comparison to healthcare. Bad luck can happen, as you describe, we're not disagreeing there, but as a man you can improve your odds. Just like everything in life, all you can do is put the work in to improve your odds and play the hand that life deals you. The problem here is many posts just giving up entirely, unwilling to make that effort.

The problem here is many posts just giving up entirely, unwilling to make that effort.
Why the fuck do you think that "effort" is so necessary?

Because your mom and dad did it?
Because your preacher told you so?

Because it has always been that way?

And don't give me that incel bullshit...

LokusAbriss

That's some incel shit right there. There are plenty of good women who aren't money-grabbing shits, and who are attractive. For sure attractiveness being a cheat code for life does cause a percentage to be utterly boring, but who would want to be with someone boring long term? Bang and move on. I've had my fair share of experiences of mad women in my youth, the highlight being the one who faked cancer, a miscarriage and her friend's death in a car crash. I also know people who made bad choices and suffered for it - a friend we nicknamed Gump (as in Forrest) because his woman walked all over him, another who married the first girl to shag him, who just wants kids and never having to work, wouldn't let him have any female friends, would ring him up before his exams at uni to start an argument with him and demand she drive all the way from Bristol to London to sort some shit out. We've all known mad women. The trick is to get that experience so you can spot the warning signs, avoid the bullshit and marry a good one.
The examples you wrote are enough reasons to not trust another woman into marriage ever again. When you have been so hurrendously mistreated and burned, you definetly don't want that happen to you another time.

I know several single ladies and guys who are not finding anybody. Sometimes their own standards and problems stand in their way.
There are many good woman out there. Thats certain. But a big problem I see by friends is the growing difference in education between men and woman. Most woman around here go for higher education now. Often as far as a proper masters degree. The truth is, many of them don't date down. Sure, a typical MGTOW argument, but something you can see happening in your circle of friends. As a guy, this is very hard to overcome.

Imagine beeing a smaller guy, five figure job and not that good looking in todays dating market. Good luck.

The best thing I heared from an attractive single girl friend lately, after a good looking guy approached her: "He just didn't had the wow-effect." And send him away. A woman who is single for many years and cries she doesnt find a guy.
There are good woman out there, but it is insanely hard to find one.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The examples you wrote are enough reasons to not trust another woman into marriage ever again. When you have been so hurrendously mistreated and burned, you definetly don't want that happen to you another time.

Tbh I tested and ran. The whole point of dating is you figure these things out. You learn the telltale signs, the red flags. I also did my fair share of shitty stuff, hell my wife is the only woman I've never cheated on, I was a bit of a manslut and would often have 2 or 3 on the go at once so I was far from blameless. The point is that I had to get my shit together and that included taking my knocks and learning from them so as to become less of an arsehole. The truth is the women are doing the same - it's perfectly possible that some of the women with whom I had bad experiences later sorted their heads out and became decent (not the cancer-faker though - she was legitimately mad). Humans aren't perfect.

As for being a smaller guy with a shit job.. maybe the dating market has changed, I met my wife in 2010, thank fuck Tinder wasn't a thing. As I mentioned earlier I was couch-surfing and had no job (had a degree but at that time no masters). I'm 5'10 so hardly massive and not anything special looks-wise, nor am I a muscle-monster. The point however is that I had a plan, knew what I wanted to do, and mentally my shit was together. Women find that attractive. Just as you will find a woman who's head isn't a fucking mess attractive (hopefully - too many men seem to like a hot mess, and that's how they end up with crazy women). If you believe these things to be true then you should have the sense to invest in yourself so you can move up the dating market. Even if you don't, investing in yourself will make your life better. As JP put it, tidy your room.

I have no doubt that attractive women in the age of Tinder are up themselves and fighting off men, but a decent number will eventually realise the shallowness of that isn't working for them and will be willing to date an ugly fucker with his shit together.

Anyway I'm going to depart this thread now as I suspect I'm derailing things a bit - good luck with your choices guys. Choose well, improve your odds, and make the best of yourselves.

ForestVSea

Nothing else you do in life will be more fulfilling and meaningful than having a family, a wife/husband that's fully committed to you with all their love, and raising your own offspring. Everything else is pretty much just a distraction to try and fill the void a family brings.

Games, parties, work, alcohol, movies etc are just attempts at being distracted with momentary happiness. Nothing will replace what you are biologically meant to do. Too many people figure this out too late when they are old and alone. Wishing they had now adult children to bring them a glass of water when they are ill.

Sadly modern society doesn't really cater to this need. It's about about being an individual and consuming.

That's just my take from some of the older people in my life that feel alone and seriously regret not having a their own family bond around

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nothing else you do in life will be more fulfilling and meaningful than having a family, a wife/husband that's fully committed to you with all their love, and raising your own offspring. Everything else is pretty much just a distraction to try and fill the void a family brings.

Games, parties, work, alcohol, movies etc are just attempts at being distracted with momentary happiness. Nothing will replace what you are biologically meant to do. Too many people figure this out too late when they are old and alone. Wishing they had now adult children to bring them a glass of water when they are ill.

Sadly modern society doesn't really cater to this need. It's about about being an individual and consuming.

This is my position. With the side note that you have to find this with the right person, or it’ll be a misery too.

For all our grand aspirations, there is nothing more personally important to a human, than having a family. There is nothing that brings greater joy. Both as a child in a family when you’re young, and having your own.

Top Bottom