• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When does losing a pet get easier?

On a serious note though, there's a korean lady on youtube who has TEN cats most around age 5 or 6. She loves them so much she'd be devastated if she lost anyone one of them but they're all going to grow old 😞

Channel: Kittisaurus. Anyone familiar with LuLu the munchkin cat?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
 Which "specialty" are we talking about exactly?

X Files Nod GIF by The X-Files

Well on Friday nights, Cleveland Steamers are half off on special.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesus CHRIST another thread where I can't stop laughing.

"The Tale of the trans daughter and the emotional support hamster".

I love all animals but a hamster is much like a goldfish: it costs less to replace it than to feed it.

Except Rentahamster Rentahamster ❤️

I did have an albino hamster when I was 12 and he lived to 5 years old because I jacked him full of vitamins.
At night he would climb the bars of his cage like he was on Ninja Warrior.
One morning he just seized up.
I took him in our backyard, covered him with a cloth then bashed his head with a shovel and buried him.

Of course I was sad.

But OP you have seen nothing yet 😊

Wait so hamsters can be trans now too? Sorry if I misunderstood...
My daughter "was". We got the hamster soon after she changed back and it helped heal damage done by those saying i didnt accept her during that time. (even if she was, i would always accept her, so they were all evil as fuck to put it in her head)

Blade2.0

Sadly, never. It always hurts. My ex in China, her sister died three days ago of cancer and now our kitty we had together is having kidney failure. It rains it fucking pours. 😢😿

For whatever it's worth, the best thing that helped me get over losing the cat I grew up with (ages 10-29) was getting another cat about a month later. I was against it at first ("too soon") but my dad wanted to get one.

He was a scared little guy but he needed us. He was sick and the woman who fostered him had started him on a course of meds she didn't finish. My mom was able to use the info in his chip to contact his vet and find out...

Anyway, he bonded with me by sprawling out on me ragdoll style for about a week before he got his confidence back. Then... CHOMP.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It only gets easier if you stop opening yourself up to the joy they give you.

I had a big long "Dear Diary" post written out about my dog who died three years ago suddenly and for no discernable reason, but I deleted it. Turns out I'm still processing it, I guess.

I'll just say I do think it does help to move on with another pet. They don't replace the one you lost, but they keep you moving. If I didn't have both him and another dog at the same time, I don't know if I would've kept going like I did.

Rac3r

I lost my dog about 5 years ago. Our family adopted him as a puppy, and I was probably only around 9 years old when we got him. He lived to be about 16 years, so we basically grew up together. The end was really rough, he was blind and had hip dysplasia. Eventually, we had to put him down as he had stopped eating (pancreatitis) and wouldn't respond to treatment. I was devastated, and I'm even getting choked up typing this.

To answer your question, time will ease the pain a little. At a certain point you'll stop thinking about those tough final days, and eventually, the good memories will bring you happiness instead of sorrow. I'm sure your pet is lucky to have you.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
RJMacready73 RJMacready73 pls stop exposing yourself as a simpleton. It's embarrassing.

I'm exposing myself as a simpleton by saying it'd fucking embarrassing for a grown ass man to by crying buckets over a bloody hamster?? My kid lost his hamster about 4mths ago, he was gutted for all of a day and then got over it... Like normal human beings do when it comes to a fucking hamster, anyways what's embarrassing is the amount of boohoo so sad responses to this... Still not 100% this is a windup

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm exposing myself as a simpleton by saying it'd fucking embarrassing for a grown ass man to by crying buckets over a bloody hamster?? My kid lost his hamster about 4mths ago, he was gutted for all of a day and then got over it... Like normal human beings do when it comes to a fucking hamster, anyways what's embarrassing is the amount of boohoo so sad responses to this... Still not 100% this is a windup

So sad. So simple!
Fuck you have kids?

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Last edited:

bitbydeath

My daughter "was". We got the hamster soon after she changed back and it helped heal damage done by those saying i didnt accept her during that time. (even if she was, i would always accept her, so they were all evil as fuck to put it in her head)
Sounds like grounds for child abuse, instead of a hamster you should have taken your ex-wife to court.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It never gets easier. It's a cycle that repeats, as long as you decide to own one, especially something like a Dog or a Cat that is very expressive and reciprocative. It's hard... and I always feel like shit. No matter what I try, because like AJUMP23 AJUMP23 said, when you stop caring is when it gets easier. You own a pet, you raise it, bond with it, get to know each other... then, it passes... in our case, we have had 3 dogs in the last 20 years, that I have been around, here. The first dog was 18 years old, the other two died at 16-17 years old respectively.

So, we're doing something right... we have a new one, he's 4 in real time. I think he will be our first to the last that we own.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just buried another hamster which is rather apt considering this post from a grown man, this time it was my daughter's who died this afternoon... She was sad as we buried it besidey Son's and now she's back watching her favourite TV show... She's fecking 11y.o. and she got over it quicker ffs

gatti-man

Pet death is the worst. I’ve always had cats. I got a special cat around 10 years ago we named him Mr Nelson. He started acting strange thought he had a cavity or something. Vet tells me has heart disease. Hit me like a truck I paid for an echo cardiogram ($1,000) and he had heart failure which is a death sentence. I shit you not if I could get him fixed I’d pay it. Whatever the cost he’s like a child to me. I’ve never felt this way about an animal before.

As is he gets 4 medicines day and night. He’s been alive 7 months since I found out and I’m greatful for every day. Doctors are stunned he’s even made it this long. They didn’t think he’d even make it a few weeks.

TLDR losing a pet you really love never gets easier and it will stay with you forever.

Blade2.0

My sweet girl in China was put to sleep today. I never got to see her after 2019 when I moved back to USA. But it still doesn't hurt any less. I did FaceTime with my ex when they were putting her to sleep. I was a blubbering mess. They do this little shrine thing for them in China. It's sweet but also very sad. I'm feeling better now but wish I could hold her again.

QSOVLPM.jpg
T5jrdfa.jpg
WXikExu.jpg
wedJpWh.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom