• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I didn't get fired thankfully.

anthony2690

Banned
Probably not thread worthy, but I just wanted to vent and get this off my chest.

I've had my third time called into the office, due to the same supervisor complaining about me (I actually do feel targeted by this supervisor, maybe bullied even, as it does cause me an immense amount off stress)

The first time I got called into the office, my shift at work had finished, we do bags/pockets check end of the night, I take my phone out my pocket, my shift is over, I think nothing off it.

Next thing I know on my next shift, I am called to the office and asked why I had my phone on me, I explained my shift was over, and it was during theft check, what's the issue?

Second time, I asked a customer for ID, but the person with them, interrupted and said it was their items and they were buying (an old dear, but they were amused I had ID the other person with them as she was in her 40s apparently)

Anyway, next shift I am called to the office again, 4 hours of my time sat there stressing out about an incident that had occured about 4 or 5 days prior.

The supervisor claimed I had asked a customer for ID and then proceeded to sell them the item despite providing no ID, thank god for CCTV, as it validated everything I said, I had to sit there whilst they called up head office and all that, it was incredibly stressful.

Here we are again, law changed on damaged and out of code items, you can take them home once signed off.

So a multi pack of crisps the packing is ripped apart and the bags are falling out.
I've signed them off damaged and went to take them home, she makes a snide remark they could be repaired and resold, I respond, I'm happy to leave them if that's the case.

Nah you've signed them off now, take them. (I think no more off it)

Next time I'm in, I've been reported for theft as signing the items out as damaged, I'm fucking mortified at this point.

Again I'm in the office, they are contacting head office, I pointed out what a joke it is at this point, as the person reporting me, literally fills up shopping bags full of out of code and damaged products (that could easily be repaired and are way less damaged than what I took home)

I also pointed out they had their daughter and grand daughter in the store, after closing and after we had all left, as the supervisor closes up.

(She is now being investigated)

Anyway I get sent home, full pay for the day and told to come back in another day, I come in and end up with a warning and told not sign stuff out in the future & I express other concerns that I do feel bullied/targeted by this supervisor & that I have heard slag off multiple staff members and other supervisors over the headsets and even gossiping another colleagues criminal pass, what I thought was out of order. (They seemed shocked I knew)

They said I should email the manager, but is it worth any potential hassle?

I just want to be left alone and free to work without hassle, I like my job and the majority of people I work with.

& I really hate the idea of being questioned in the office again, I just find it stressful.

I am considering looking for another job, as I just don't want the stress.

Extra info:
I did complain about the supervisor after not being their long as I hated the way she would speak down to you/at you, I'm an adult and I don't really appreciate spoken down to a like a child, I've now been there a year, so it does make me wonder if this could be why they target me. (Nothing really happened after this, the supervisor thankfully didn't talk to me much after)

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Always be honest too. Being caught lying would be bad for your career.
So I should send an email and complain about how I honestly feel?

Or leave it and move on? I don't want the hassle, but at the same time, I feel like I'd be rolling over and letting a bully win.

& That bothers me a bit.

Cyberpunkd

Or leave it and move on? I don't want the hassle, but at the same time, I feel like I'd be rolling over and letting a bully win.

& That bothers me a bit.
Manager here.

Document everything.

Do you know your supervisor standing with management? Looks to me like she is on a power trip.

If you want to approach management do it in a non-confrontational way, do not write all your grievances, just speak to your supervisor's N+1 and take the 'I am confused', 'I am unsure what is happening' angle, this gives management more leeway in how to deal with situation.

Are you a good performer? Do you have quarterly or bi-yearly performance evaluations and talks? How do you score on them?

bitbydeath

Sounds like you have three options.
1. Quit
2. Report them for bullying
3. Confront them directly

Not easy options but still better than ignoring it. Personally I’d go option 3, as I’d want to find out more.

Last edited:

Mistake

Anyone who starts shit with me like that, I give it back ten fold. If you actually like your job, start documenting the incidents and look up what your legal actions might be. That way, the next time you’re called in, threaten them with litigation. You need to make it 100% clear you’re there to work and don’t appreciate this harassment.

Meanwhile, don’t put on a puppy dog appearance in front of the supervisor. Be more stern, but not abrasive. This can be a learning opportunity for you.

Dr_Salt

Never do this. Just record the incidents, report it for investigation and avoid communicating with her, whenever possible.

Confronting them could make things worse.
I mean the dude has been targeted already its not like its gonna stop anytime soon unless his boss gets fired. I don't see any signs of that happening based on what op described so he has limited options.
It's either he does any of the suggested or he just sucks it up and keeps working where he is because once you are targeted the abuse won't stop.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Manager here.

Document everything.

Do you know your supervisor standing with management? Looks to me like she is on a power trip.

If you want to approach management do it in a non-confrontational way, do not write all your grievances, just speak to your supervisor's N+1 and take the 'I am confused', 'I am unsure what is happening' angle, this gives management more leeway in how to deal with situation.

Are you a good performer? Do you have quarterly or bi-yearly performance evaluations and talks? How do you score on them?
Do you mind if a throw you a message once I write something up? Maybe you can help decide whether it is worth sending or needs cleaning up/looks more professional.

I honestly have no idea what their standing with manager is.

But the manager is usually super nice to me, always friendly and welcoming towards me.

& I've had no complaints about my work in the year I've been there, and I've had no performance evaluations in the nearly 1 year I've been there.

Cyberpunkd

Do you mind if a throw you a message once I write something up? Maybe you can help decide whether it is worth sending or needs cleaning up/looks more professional.
Sure, feel free to do so. Mind you the best way instead of sending it would be to have a 15 minutes chat with her N+1, just ask him/her for time and describe the situation, again with the 'I am not sure what is happening here'. Sure, sounds wishy-washy, but that's corpo world.

anthony2690

Banned
I mean the dude has been targeted already its not like its gonna stop anytime soon unless his boss gets fired. I don't see any signs of that happening based on what op described so he has limited options.
It's either he does any of the suggested or he just sucks it up and keeps working where he is because once you are targeted the abuse won't stop.
The supervisor isn't my boss, we have numerous supervisors the rest are awesome!

One fistbumped me yesterday and seemed really happy I wasn't fired, what made me feel good in all honesty :)

The manager is my boss & I have nothing bad to say about them, they seem like a genuinely nice dude.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Sure, feel free to do so. Mind you the best way instead of sending it would be to have a 15 minutes chat with her N+1, just ask him/her for time and describe the situation, again with the 'I am not sure what is happening here'. Sure, sounds wishy-washy, but that's corpo world.
Sorry if this comes across as stupid but what is an N+1? I've never heard this term.

Winter John

Gold Member
My first thought was you should smash her on the head with a brick. You'd be surprised how many problems can be solved by simply smashing people on the head with bricks. Then I had another idea.
Instead of contacting managers and lawyers, maybe what you want to do is start being friendly and complimenting her. Don't go overboard. Just smile. Tell the old bag you like her jewellery or something. Nothing too personal. Don't go up to her and say, Hey tits I notice you had a shower today. That never goes down well. Ask her questions. Ask her for advice. It can be about any old dumb shit. Just make her feel important. Power tripping bitches love nothing more than feeling important. What's that saying about killing them with kindness? Yeah try that, and if it don't work then maybes think about smashing her head in with a brick

feynoob

Banned

& That bothers me a bit.
Send an email.
She is overstepping her boundaries. She seems like a dipshits supervisor, and will continue to bother you in the future.

It honestly seems like they are messing with you cause they think they can.
I'd tell them that this job needs you, you dont need it and walk out.

anthony2690

Banned
I take it you're in the UK. Make a formal complaint with HR for harassment.

Should I go through manager first or skip to hr? I'm not sure if it would be frowned upon with my manager.

I'll have to look into it more, think about it all, write a draft up.

And consider my options, I just want to get on with everyone you know.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

& That bothers me a bit.
I would not let your feelings dictate. I doubt an email about your superior helps. I just say that when asked answer honestly. And don't put hard feelings in writing. They translate better face to face.

Saber

Gold Member
From the looks of it, it does really sound this one is targetting you instead of really pointing for the right direction.

Send a very formal complain(or a questioning) email for HR and see how it goes, but remember to be formal and not demanding. If you don't wanna hassle or feel like just want to be alone working, then just wait and see if it happens again, which would totally proves it(remember to aways write those things up, just for precaution). In this case perhaps would be best move away? Who knows if theres someone pulling strings to put anyone against you?

edit: Reason for why I suggest you to not send to your manager is because I think you said he is nice. And with HR you can be anonymus I think.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If you're in the UK we have laws regarding workplace bullying, document everything and go on the sick with stress... Then find out where the bitch lives and make her life a living hell, the fuck would I take some cunt bullying me in work, I'd take that shit personal and take it outside

Jaybe

Sucks to hear you’re being targeted by someone petty. My suggestion is seek another position at a company known for a good culture from the top to the bottom. When interviewing, say you’re looking for positions that offer some opportunities for growth so it’s a positive spin. The positive in this is they will understand they can’t contact your current employer as a reference, as you don’t want that. Sounds like you get along with people and you do your job well, so you’ll get along with the new people at the next place and can still connect with others from what will be your old place as friends. In the meantime, just tow the line at the current place and don’t give them a reason to mess with you. You’ll be out of there soon and it will all be in the rear view mirror.

anthony2690

Banned
If you're in the UK we have laws regarding workplace bullying, document everything and go on the sick with stress... Then find out where the bitch lives and make her life a living hell, the fuck would I take some cunt bullying me in work, I'd take that shit personal and take it outside
well-that-escalated-quickly.gif

I was initially all aboard and then damn 😱

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I do actually enjoy the job and I really like everyone else that I work with, they are great :)

If you do, then you need to start documenting every interaction with the supervisor, no embellishments and as many detail as possible, because this isn't going to stop, especially with the seemingly lax response from your work regarding your concerns.

MilkyJoe

Should I go through manager first or skip to hr? I'm not sure if it would be frowned upon with my manager.

I know you've done nothing wrong, managers with a chip on their shoulder can be cunts for no reason, I got mine fired!!

Talk to your manager and keep a diary of all the shit she's pulled and your proof to the contrary, present it to your manager say you are having anxiety about work because you feel you are being bullied and see what he/she says. Then based on whether you think he response is acceptable them move forward with your best judgement. Is it a big chain?

anthony2690

Banned
I know you've done nothing wrong, managers with a chip on their shoulder can be cunts for no reason, I got mine fired!!

Talk to your manager and keep a diary of all the shit she's pulled and your proof to the contrary, present it to your manager say you are having anxiety about work because you feel you are being bullied and see what he/she says. Then based on whether you think he response is acceptable them move forward with your best judgement. Is it a big chain?
I will do & it is indeed.

It was really stressing me out, before I was in yesterday, I just couldn't sleep, I was up till 3am.

I was thinking this is the third time now, I'm probably done for.

& Then trying to think of the positives:
Good thing I'm up £227 on electric.
& Have the games I'm looking forward paid off till about June with a couple stragglers.

Silly stuff, but it was really bothering me as I honestly thought I was done for.

Dude.

You work at a grocery store, it's not worth that stress. Imagine if she successfully got you fired for theft.....

Apply at another grocery store if it's anything like the US right now places are dying for good help. You'll probably get paid more, and if they need more people just have your friends from the old job apply too. Don't expect things to get better there, no one is looking out for you except yourself.

If you do get fired, at this point it's your own fault. Stop sitting around hoping for the worst not to happen. Go to another store, fill out an application and make something good happen for you.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I will do & it is indeed.

It was really stressing me out, before I was in yesterday, I just couldn't sleep, I was up till 3am.

I was thinking this is the third time now, I'm probably done for.

& Then trying to think of the positives:
Good thing I'm up £227 on electric.
& Have the games I'm looking forward paid off till about June with a couple stragglers.

Silly stuff, but it was really bothering me as I honestly thought I was done for.
Sorry you're going through this. Workplace politics stress me out, and I've been lucky not to have been outright bullied like you obviously have, so I can't imagine what you're going through.

Personally, I'd try finding another similar job. It takes effort, but it's not as hard as you might imagine

MachRc

Ive worked at my last job for 17 years... always thought I was lucky to have a career at one place for so long.

THe big boss died and after that it went to hell. No management. Associates of management moves up to fill the void, theyre all friends. No management taking place. And every mistake management makes, they deflected it to everyone else. And like you I got targeted by one guy and whatever I did , I could not shke it off as he was best friends with the new higher uppers

I started looking for other jobs and landed a job of my dreams within 2 months.

Im one month in,

I went from reading Wall street journal for an hour, posting on NeoGaf the rest of the day and doing my best to stretch my back from getting paid to sit all day doing nothing.
to somehow managing a Institution with 5 other centers and now I rarely have a chance to take a break. (AI told me to spend 40 minutes a day on NeoGaf)

But I am SO happy I dont have to deal with a shitty supervisor or shitty management who cant manage. I come home and Im not angry.
I dont need to avoid a certain person at work or fake a smile or fake anything.

I would start looking for other opportunities, theyre lucky that they have you not the other way around.

Patrick S.

Banned
Do you work in North Korea or something? Look for a fucking different job, and take a shit on that manager’s desk and shoes on your way out. You are humiliating yourself by letting those assholes treat you like a thief and liar under constant supervision. Look into going back to school and improving or gaining your marketable skills.

anthony2690

Banned
Ive worked at my last job for 17 years... always thought I was lucky to have a career at one place for so long.

THe big boss died and after that it went to hell. No management. Associates of management moves up to fill the void, theyre all friends. No management taking place. And every mistake management makes, they deflected it to everyone else. And like you I got targeted by one guy and whatever I did , I could not shke it off as he was best friends with the new higher uppers

I started looking for other jobs and landed a job of my dreams within 2 months.

Im one month in,

I went from reading Wall street journal for an hour, posting on NeoGaf the rest of the day and doing my best to stretch my back from getting paid to sit all day doing nothing.
to somehow managing a Institution with 5 other centers and now I rarely have a chance to take a break. (AI told me to spend 40 minutes a day on NeoGaf)

But I am SO happy I dont have to deal with a shitty supervisor or shitty management who cant manage. I come home and Im not angry.
I dont need to avoid a certain person at work or fake a smile or fake anything.

I would start looking for other opportunities, theyre lucky that they have you not the other way around.
I'm feeling pretty inspired, I'm probably going to start applying for other jobs, whilst I keep it up at my current one. :)

Thank you for this.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Based on what you posted, it seems like the managers and other supervisors are pretty cool. If that's the case I would report to them verbally, just email them that you wish to discuss. Just make sure you present facts, and then tell them how it made you feel and affect your work. Let them know you want to perform your best at work, but the bullying and unfair treatment is making it harder and harder; be professional and don't be too emotional. Different company have different culture, in mine that's how I would handle it.

If there are no improvements and it appears that the managers are covering each other, you may want to bring it up to HR. Like other posters already point out, documents everything, write diary on things that happened, collect whatever evidence you could.

The way I see it, it is probably not a good idea to stay there, I think your idea of staying there while look for other job is much better idea.

Top Bottom