• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I do not trust any game magazine or website!

A massive info about some video game is not the main source because people are different and the time playing a specific game can vary because you individually are experiencing your experience!

Knightime_X

The best reviews are the ones that are objective, sugar coating nothing, and praising where recognization is due.
Sometimes, these types of reviews come off as trolling because diehard fans don't like hearing the truth and will only accept opinions that match their's.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I shop around weirdly. I don't consult reviews or my own intuition, usually. I just go by devs, studios, and IP's. Simple formula, if your IP has more good entries than bad, the chance of a blind faith full price purchase goes up sharply. Same for studios with hits or misses, and following the level of ruin left behind in certain specific devs footsteps.

AREYOUOKAY?

I’ll admit Game Informer and certain other magazines are to blame for missing out on certain rare and crazy expensive games due to the low scores given to them. Gotcha Force and Cubivore come to mind.

Last edited:

fermcr

I only trust Chuck Norris.

3jkntx.jpg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Reviews are bought and sold these days in main stream media. Most game journalist know little about gaming and should be writing for political magazines.

My criteria for good games to purchase are:

1. Myself, my own eyes.
2. Metacritic where there are thousands or millions of opinions.

Agree, disagree?

I first got into podcasts with a thing called Giant Bomb. They seemed to go against the grain. Then they didn't. They spun off into a new thing seemingly out of rebellion. Yet even this new thing won't review a certain video game because some people are angry.

I too am pretty much out of video game sources aside from GAF here. People are marks and tricks these days.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
You shouldn't trust anyone else blindly. You have to do your research. Check user reviews. Check different independent reviewers. The one thing you can safely avoid completely is mainstream gaming "media."

I think that applies to the vast majority of the general population who buys video games, especially the younger crowd. Except it's not a matter of trust. They just haven't heard about them, nor do they care.

None of my nieces, nephews, younger cousins, their friends, etc have heard of IGN, Kotaku, or any other of the irrelevant, bloated, self-important games "journalists" websites. But to be fair, they are also unaware of NeoGaf and Reeee.

They base their purchases on box art in the new releases at Walmart or GameStop, what their friends are playing, Instagram and TikTok clips, and what's being streamed on Twitch.

I asked them at our last Christmas party if they watched the recent Video Game Awards show. Not only were they unaware that such a show existed, they were also dumbfounded as to why anyone would want to watch it.

It seems like every last one of them is playing that new Potter game these days, and they are all but oblivious to the "big controversy."

I haven't seen a game magazine in ages and am honestly baffled how their websites are still able to survive the onslaught of apathy.

Top Bottom