• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't play for immersion, yet I love playing VR. Am I misunderstanding what "immersion" is?

Wonko_C

Can someone really explain this "immersion" thing to me? The best way someone described it to me was that you get into the game so much that everything around your TV disappears and you feel like you are the character you play as, which leads to this other thing I read often: "X or Y breaks my immersion", which have never bothered me when such things happen.

So now we have VR, which is supossedly the ultimate in immersion (at least for now), and I love playing in VR more than playing flat, but I do it for the mechanics, the new ways of play and control. But to me it's still pretty much "I'm having fun playing this awesome video game" instead of "I am this character now".

Or maybe I'm getting things wrong and that's not what immersion is? But then why I don't seem to have "immersion breakers" like many do? Do I have some brain defect I should worry about? If someone could more accurately describe it for me it could turn out I do get immersion without knowing?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Or do I have some brain defect I should worry about?
giphy.gif

Immersed means that the game enviroment and interaction constantly stimulates you to such a degree that you experience a sort of agnosia - sensory information coming from outside the game and peripherals is not being processed fully. This is how you decide to play one more turn of Civilization at 10 PM and suddenly it's 5 AM.
You can be engaged and experience presence in VR without being immersed.

naguanatak

I don't think you have a brain defect :messenger_winking:
It's a buzzword and I fully understand where people are coming from, but it's not the be all end all some people make it out to be. I don't care for it either. Awareness in everyday life and being mindful of my breathing and sense of place are much more important to me due to different factors like chronic pain and heart problems than being so fully immersed that I 'forget myself'. Of course that happens during gameplay and it's a testament of a good presentation/story, like it happens in movies or shows, but I still enjoy all of these if I'm aware of myself while playing/watching.

Three

Can someone really explain this "immersion" thing to me? The best way someone described it to me was that you get into the game so much that everything around your TV disappears and you feel like you are the character you play as, which leads to this other thing I read often: "X or Y breaks my immersion", which have never bothered me when such things happen.
Immersion means the feeling of being in that world so when people say X breaks my immersion they usually mean it resulted in it breaking that illusion. That could be clipping through walls or whatever they feel makes them lose that feeling, that that world is fake or doesn't follow what they would expect. They still realise they are playing a game but it reduces the illusion a lot for them.
So now we have VR, which is supossedly the ultimate in immersion (at least for now), and I love playing in VR more than playing flat, but I do it for the mechanics, the new ways of play and control. But to me it's still pretty much "I'm having fun playing this awesome video game" instead of "I am this character now".
Mechanics can be immersion too. Being able to track your head 1:1, your hands 1:1, that's still immersion. It makes you feel like you're in that world even if you know it's a video game.
Or maybe I'm getting things wrong and that's not what immersion is? But then why I don't seem to have "immersion breakers" like many do? Do I have some brain defect I should worry about? If someone could more accurately describe it for me it could turn out I do get immersion without knowing?
No you don't have a brain defect 😄. You probably already get immersion but it's not an "I'm immersed now then suddenly I'm not". It's usually a scale of a lot of things with different tolerances. Whether that's framerate, mechanics, graphics, characters, story, whatever.

Last edited:

Crayon

It's flat out superior for input and output. That combined with the partial sensory deprivation encourages immersion, but it's good for the gameplay enhancement alone.

In my experience, vr games aren't necessarily more immersive than flat games. VR gets you there faster and more reliably, though. I can load up a flat game and play for an hour hoping that it does that thing to me, and it may not on that night. Some games only get the total effect when I play seriously long sessions. VR slams you into the game, though. I'm taken away pretty quick, even with games that are only good and not great.

Immersion is one of the core pillars of game enjoyment. We all experience it to the degree we have imagination. Immersion is when your imagination gets going for a sustained period. It gets hard for anything other than the game to compete with how interesting and even important it is. If you don't seem to have it now, think back to how it felt playing as a kid. It surely happened easier back then, but if the rare game sucks you in like that, you're feeling it.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Immersion just means that you just forget the reality all around you because you are so hooked by something. I don't think it's only a "buzz" word, it's more a mondset and it's not really about "I'm this character", it's more about "I'm in this world".
You are maybe someone that have difficulty to focus and concentrate fully on only one thing, it doesn't help.

Also, I'm guessing you are playing the wrong games, or, not playing the right games.

However, you are not going to experiment this if you are playing while constantly receiving notifications on your phone, checking your phone, speaking with someone at home, hearing sounds not from the game, having your pets distracting you, checking your browser on your multi monitor setup while playing, playing in a bright room with distractions all around you and so on...

When I play PSVR games and remove the headset, which I use with earplugs isolating me from any external sound, I *really* need to cool down to go back to reality from the virtual world. It's like I was in another universe and it's now very hard to come back to the harsh and dull reality.

How is it possible ? It's all about your senses: sight, hearing, touch in some extent and your attention (~brain).
Playing on a big screen filling as much as possible your real field of view helps, in a dark room and with a headphone if you don't have any 5.1+ audio setup.
Note also that I don't play game like "Beat Saber", there is no immersion in there this is just gameplay gimmick.

Then, like said, the last part would be the game, some of them just hook you into their world because the world looks incredible, beautiful or just interesting to discover with a mysterious story and characters looking authentic in their behavior and so many others factors.

Skyrim is a game often noted as immersive because the world invites you to get lost into and the music plays a big part in it, incredibly setting the mood of your journey and your rewarding exploration. Just try Skyrim VR.
And in pancake, try an old game like Fallout 3 for exploration or Firewatch for the mood/story/interactivity.
There is also Scorn which is a hit or miss with people, you will either find the world fascinating and get hooked or repulsed.
If you like puzzles, try The Tanos Principles (VR if possible), the music is aen therapy and listen to audiolog you can find everywhere in the game.

Another example, in VR, would be RE7 which is just a masterpiece of immersion: in the free demo before the release, I was genuinely frightened to go to the basement, it was so dark and scary, for real. I was playing in the dark, alone, in the middle of the night with earplugs, no distraction.

But, again, you can't experiment immersion if you don't help yourself by not suppressing all forms of distraction while you play, you must not be interrupted during your play session and choose the right games which make everything to make you forget they are games (like with minimal UI, dynamics subtil musics, etc...).

To sum up, immersion is when all your senses are faked to the point you forget the reality and even the notion of time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To sum up, immersion is when all your senses are faked to the point you forget the reality and even the notion of time.
This happens to me when controls feels really good and fighting really hard boss, you are so on the zone that you forget you have controller in your hand.

This happened to me recently with Armored Core VI when fighting Ayre as boss fight, it also happened when playing Sekiro.

This little off topic but I'm becoming big fan of how Masaru Yamamura does combat in his games.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

For me, Immersion isn't when everything around my TV disappears. Immersion is when I'm fully engrossed in the game I'm playing. This could happen because of excellent characters and writing, great level design, great sound track and audio design, or gameplay mechanics that require my constant attention, or a combination of all these things and more.

TLOU (PS4 Remastered) was one of my most immersive gaming experiences. So were RDR 2 and Returnal and a bunch of other games.

The writing, story, and characters were extremely immersive and engrossing for me. However, usually I've noticed that a game becomes immersive when everything is top-notch and works together. Returnal is an excellent example of that -- from requiring attention to excellent environmental vibes to marvelous 3D audio design, it is one of the pinnacle experiences of immersive gaming.

As for things that take me out: loading screens has to be the #1 thing. I'm engrossed and then I have to take a forced break of 10-40 seconds, and the game stops being immersive.

Immersion is the #1 thing for me in gaming right now, and I could talk about it for hours.

consoul

Immersion can mean many things. It doesn't just mean you feel you are the character or you're in the place. An experience can become more immersive just by giving you better sensory input.

GT7 is a great example.
Driving in a flat screen racing game is kinda like driving a real car with one eye closed and not being able to turn your head. In VR, you have stereoscopic vision (for better depth perception) and the ability to look around. That makes it much more immersive. You don't have to feel like "I am the Gran Turismo now."

Robb

Gold Member
Immersion just means that you just forget the reality all around you because you are so hooked by something.
This would be my explanation as well. Can happen with anything from a good book, TV series/movie, board game etc. etc. to a video game.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Immersed means that the game enviroment and interaction constantly stimulates you to such a degree that you experience a sort of agnosia - sensory information coming from outside the game and peripherals is not being processed fully. This is how you decide to play one more turn of Civilization at 10 PM and suddenly it's 5 AM.
I disagree with the bolded, at least as a sole reason. I can accidentally play for hours longer than planned, but that's because I'm having fun and time flies. Much like OP, I don't do the "immersion" thing. For me it has zero to do with immersion, and everything to do with being wanting more of the game I'm enjoying.

Games don't have to be immersive to have your attention, they just have to be distracting.

StueyDuck

Vr is currently the only "immersive" experience and even then it's not fully immersive.

It's one of those gamer words that people throw around to criticize games or praise games but it doesn't really make much sense if you think for more than 2 seconds.

Another one is "Pacing", these aren't movies, you pace these games yourself, sure you can describe a cutscenes pacing but that doesn't translate into gameplay where you can literally pause, save and resume.

In regards of vr and interactivity however (which is what these people mean by immersion probably) it's fantastic and it's the only thing really feeling new and fresh in gaming. It's still at that stage where everything is being done differently, even though we have many shooters, they all bring their own little spins on how you interact with the game, tactical assault vr and zero caliber and crossfire and bonelabs/works all play very differently

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Immersion in VR is not necessarily driven by suspension of disbelief a la roleplaying, or like you're actually there (although that's part of it, but on a scale, not necessarily a binary thing).

But the combination of 1:1 scale (which is one of the big factors often forgotten in the calculation), head tracking with micromovement, plus high fov, plus stereoscopy will (help) feed enough extra sensory input to feel an elevated sense of...Immersion (compared to a 2D display) and put you closer to being _in_ the experience.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Sorry for making this topic look like one of those where the poster just walks away, :messenger_tears_of_joy: Work has been too much this week to sit down and reply. I've read your posts, and it's very interesting how there are different views about it and the answer is not as simple as black and white.

Time flies when you're having fun, it happens to me only when I'm playing a good game with friends. Playing alone though, sometimes I get the opposite effect: I think I've played for one hour and it has been just 15 minutes. I guess that's good for me, LOL.

Immersion means the feeling of being in that world so when people say X breaks my immersion they usually mean it resulted in it breaking that illusion. That could be clipping through walls or whatever they feel makes them lose that feeling, that that world is fake or doesn't follow what they would expect. They still realise they are playing a game but it reduces the illusion a lot for them.

Mechanics can be immersion too. Being able to track your head 1:1, your hands 1:1, that's still immersion. It makes you feel like you're in that world even if you know it's a video game.

No you don't have a brain defect 😄. You probably already get immersion but it's not an "I'm immersed now then suddenly I'm not". It's usually a scale of a lot of things with different tolerances. Whether that's framerate, mechanics, graphics, characters, story, whatever.
I love purposefully trying to clip through walls and objects with my head in VR. I actually hate it when the game blacks out or even worse, pushes you back. It can even become nauseating.

Immersion just means that you just forget the reality all around you because you are so hooked by something. I don't think it's only a "buzz" word, it's more a mondset and it's not really about "I'm this character", it's more about "I'm in this world".
You are maybe someone that have difficulty to focus and concentrate fully on only one thing, it doesn't help.

Also, I'm guessing you are playing the wrong games, or, not playing the right games.

However, you are not going to experiment this if you are playing while constantly receiving notifications on your phone, checking your phone, speaking with someone at home, hearing sounds not from the game, having your pets distracting you, checking your browser on your multi monitor setup while playing, playing in a bright room with distractions all around you and so on...
I actually don't like getting distracted whenever I play a game, or even when I watch a movie. (I'd rather watch it at home by myself than at the cinema with a group of friends and their chatter while watching) I oldmanyellsatcloud when I see those youngsters not putting their phone away even if the world around them is falling apart. I don't even like to put background music while playing, the game already has its own music and that's how it was intended to be played.

When I play PSVR games and remove the headset, which I use with earplugs isolating me from any external sound, I *really* need to cool down to go back to reality from the virtual world. It's like I was in another universe and it's now very hard to come back to the harsh and dull reality.

How is it possible ? It's all about your senses: sight, hearing, touch in some extent and your attention (~brain).
Playing on a big screen filling as much as possible your real field of view helps, in a dark room and with a headphone if you don't have any 5.1+ audio setup.
Note also that I don't play game like "Beat Saber", there is no immersion in there this is just gameplay gimmick.
I don't really need to cool down after a VR session, but I've also never experienced ghost hands, nor fear of heights nor invasion of personal space. NPCs or other players can clip through me and I have zero issues with it. I guess I have some kind of VR immunity.

On the game side I have to be honest, I prefer arcade-like experiences more often than not, be it flat or VR. While Half-Life Alyx is incredible in its own right, I had to stop myself from playing Pistol Whip to continue the fight against the Combine.

Then, like said, the last part would be the game, some of them just hook you into their world because the world looks incredible, beautiful or just interesting to discover with a mysterious story and characters looking authentic in their behavior and so many others factors.

Skyrim is a game often noted as immersive because the world invites you to get lost into and the music plays a big part in it, incredibly setting the mood of your journey and your rewarding exploration. Just try Skyrim VR.
And in pancake, try an old game like Fallout 3 for exploration or Firewatch for the mood/story/interactivity.
There is also Scorn which is a hit or miss with people, you will either find the world fascinating and get hooked or repulsed.
If you like puzzles, try The Tanos Principles (VR if possible), the music is aen therapy and listen to audiolog you can find everywhere in the game.
Never liked any of the Elder Scrolls games in flat. I did play Skyrim VR on PSVR for a while and did like it this time around, enough that I plan on purchasing the PCVR version and modding with HIGGS and stuff like that for better physics and interactions.

Other games that have captivated me with their worlds are: Mirror's Edge (and Catalyst) Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, the first Phantasy Star Online (the music and atmosphere in that has never been replicated in the sequels), and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT How could I forget Pseudoregalia!? I guess that's as close as being immersed as I could get. I couldn't legit stop playing that game, I was entranced by the N64-like graphics and music, it had a such a moody/melancholic feeling to it that I have not gotten even from the most graphically advanced AAA super production. Easily my flat game of 2023 to me, stealing the crown from Street Fighter VI.

Another example, in VR, would be RE7 which is just a masterpiece of immersion: in the free demo before the release, I was genuinely frightened to go to the basement, it was so dark and scary, for real. I was playing in the dark, alone, in the middle of the night with earplugs, no distraction.

But, again, you can't experiment immersion if you don't help yourself by not suppressing all forms of distraction while you play, you must not be interrupted during your play session and choose the right games which make everything to make you forget they are games (like with minimal UI, dynamics subtil musics, etc...).

RE7 was one of the first PSVR games I've played. Unfortunately I already played through flat so I knew where the jumpscare (I think there was only one in the entire game) were so I was in it more for the experience of being in that superbly detailed environment. I won't do the same mistake with Village and RE4 Remake and I'll play through them in VR for the first time once I get around to buying a PSVR2 (and a PS5).

Forgetting I am playing a game, though? I don't think I'll ever be able to do that even with zero distractions, which is actually how I tend to play.

Immersion is jumping off the highest skyscraper in Spider-Man 2 and wincing back at the vertigo
I kinda wish I had vertigo, I played tons of high speed games with flying, falling, grappling-hooking, etc. and it's all just the Super Mario Bros. effect: you're not actually moving, you are just running in place while the world is scrolling you by.

Last edited:
I disagree with the bolded, at least as a sole reason. I can accidentally play for hours longer than planned, but that's because I'm having fun and time flies. Much like OP, I don't do the "immersion" thing. For me it has zero to do with immersion, and everything to do with being wanting more of the game I'm enjoying.

Games don't have to be immersive to have your attention, they just have to be distracting.
……..so your immersed lol, I’ll see myself out…..

SHA

Immersion is expensive and a valuable experience, certainly for first run play or even the second run, depend on the game you play.

Humdinger

I suppose different people will have different definitions of immersion, but for me, immersion doesn't mean you identify with the character. That's identification. Immersion is different. Immersion means that you get so focused on the game that you lose track of time. Your attention is fully absorbed. It is similar to the "flow" state described by the psychologist Csiksczentmihalyi (Flow), where the level of challenge is just right, skills are demanded, attention is fully absorbed, and you are so "into it" that you lose track of time. It is a state of mind that happens not just in videogaming, but in many sports, games, and creative activities.

p.s. You lose self-consciousness, too. I don't mean you lose consciousness, lol, but that you lose self-consciousness -- reflective self-awareness, thoughts about yourself and your life; also the sense of "I'm sitting here playing a videogame." You are completely focused on and absorbed by the game world (or the sport, or book, or artistic creation, or whatever).

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I don't need to a game to be overtly immersing for it to be a good vr game, but when a game allows me to suspend disbelief or is highly immersive, it raises the overall experience a few notches. I don't have any other examples than Skyrim.. The VR focused gameplay probably isn't as good as in Alyx, but there are elements in the "flat" game experience that lends itself so well into VR.

From the top of my head: particles from wind; dust, and fire.. Soundscapes and resonance from different locations.. NPC's tracking your characters eyes.. The scale of different environments like towers, city walls, cramped spaces.. Cobwebs.

I really need a 1.person rpg on psvr2 for it to be a complete experience..

bitbydeath

If immersion is where you play a game and lose track of time, like No Man’s Sky, then I don’t like it. Losing that much time despite the enjoyment feels like a waste of time.

Soodanim

Gold Member
……..so your immersed lol, I’ll see myself out…..
Just like that classic phrase: "Time flies when you're having immersion."

The distinction between fun and immersion in games is how the game makes you almost believe you're in it. Playing for longer than expected when there is no external factor (i.e. at night on the weekend) because you're enjoying it just means the game is a successful entertainment product.

If you want to assign something to that, it would be determination or addiction before it would be immersion.

Top Bottom