• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a team member die.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I lead a team of about 14 in an AGILE tech company. Yesterday one of my team members died at home in his sleep. He was knew he had lived a full life, he was 76, but he was a great member of the team.

I needed an outlet here, not because I am sad, but because I would encourage you to express your appreciation to those you appreciate. Thankfully I had done that for him.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Sad fact of life that only happens more as you grow older.

I had a coworker in his mid 50s that had just fallen down, broke his arm, they were wondering why his arm broke so easily and in a quick matter of weeks they found out he had bone cancer and died from it so quickly after finding it. He had kids that were 12-15. Another case of a college professor I had that was the only remaining parent of her young daughter and died in suddenly in her 50s.

Wakes you up quite fast to the reality that none of this is permanent or assured. Be healthy and be kind is the best you can do.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I lead a team of about 14 in an AGILE tech company. Yesterday one of my team members died at home in his sleep. He was knew he had lived a full life, he was 76, but he was a great member of the team.

I needed an outlet here, not because I am sad, but because I would encourage you to express your appreciation to those you appreciate. Thankfully I had done that for him.
It's a good thing you're not sad and that you appreciated him.

Drake

Man he was still working at 76. Hopefully because it was what he wanted to do and not what he needed. I'm saving HARD for retirement because I want to be done at 59 1/2. Although with the cost of healthcare who knows if that will be possible.

In any event RIP to you team member.

LordOfChaos

I try to tell my male friends how much I love them every so often. Many fellas don’t get even a check in from people, and we don’t have the same support structures as our lady counterparts. Never too late to tell people you care, until it’s too late. Sorry for your loss OP.

Ain't that the truth. My mother passed away from brain cancer just this year, months ago, it was a very difficult end and she was only in her early 60s. People stop checking on you real fast as a man.

Cyberpunkd

Man he was still working at 76. Hopefully because it was what he wanted to do and not what he needed. I'm saving HARD for retirement because I want to be done at 59 1/2. Although with the cost of healthcare who knows if that will be possible.

In any event RIP to you team member.
genuine question - what are you going to do all day when you retire?

cormack12

Gold Member
genuine question - what are you going to do all day when you retire?
1kjig0.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry to hear AJUMP23.

20 years ago, one of my coworkers who sat right over the cubicle wall got diagnosed with cancer and died about a year later. She was the coolest person and everyone loved her.

After everyone found out she had cancer and went on leave, I switched jobs shortly after, but we still kept in contact by snail mail as it felt more meaningful. I sill have a final letter from her in my desk. She was a single mom and died at I think about 45 years old. She'd always tell us she wanted to buy her teenage son a PS2. I'm typically not a very charitable person, but this time it was different as I knew her and worked in the same dept. So in one of my letters I sent her some money and said if you want to buy Tom a PS2, cash my cheque. I dont know if she ever bought her son a PS2, but I'm happy she cashed it. RIP Sheryl.

I try to tell my male friends how much I love them every so often. Many fellas don’t get even a check in from people, and we don’t have the same support structures as our lady counterparts. Never too late to tell people you care, until it’s too late. Sorry for your loss OP.
Great post.

I hope you get the same treatment and enquiries about yourself too BB! 👍

...I love YOU! 😃

lmimmfn

76? He wouldn't have been Agile.

Sorry had to say it, sorry for your loss, its difficult losing a team member like that

Mistake

Keeps the mind sharp.

I'd much rather die in my sleep while still having a job and a sharp mind, than slowly becoming a vegetable and possibly dying in a care home covered in my own dribble and urine.
The older you get, the more important it is to keep moving

ssringo

I'm in a similar situation with 12 people working for me including a few retirees working part time. Haven't had an active employee die yet but it's a phone call that I'm probably going to get at some point.

RIP

Top Bottom