• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Spiderman 2 but…

…these side missions are offensively uninspired. The mission where you have to take pictures of the campus and guess where things are is just awful and for some reason after like 5 minutes of not knowing where something is the game decides ok lets end this idiots torture lol.

Not trying to sound mean but the mission with Hailie doing the graffiti for the store owner is what felt like to me at least a half ass attempt at being profound showing her perspective and all and god forgive me if im being honest the character in general feels like an attempt to be inclusive in a diversity for diversity’s sake kind of way. Just my opinion. But whatever the mission is just clunky.

That wierd mission with tracking down the robot dog and giving it to the blind lady as a guide dog lol…i mean some of these are just laughably bad. And the rest are just menial task mini games or defeat the enemies and rid the city of this evil type missions. Blatantly repetitive but whatever i enjoy the combat.

Loved the main story though and the one side mission that im sure those who’ve played the game in its entirety know what im talking about besides the big character reveal is pretty uninspired itself. Wonder if that will be dlc or a half sequel i hope its given a significant chunk of play time because i really love that character.

Also i do want to say more times than not i thoroughly enjoy the writing in this game but it does have moments where its just either very corny and not corny in a classic spidey quip kinda way just downright the joke doesnt land or the line itself doesnt have impact in some of the key emotional moments. After platinum’ing the game i sort of understand Ign’s 8 honestly even though its 🖕 ign. Anyway thanks for reading if you read this tldr tangent.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

and this is its own thread instead of a posting in the OT becaaaaause...?
just kidding comedy GIF by CBC

Go_Ly_Dow

I was surprised how short the game is and little content the game has to offer, considering 5 years since the 1st entry, high amounts of asset reuse and lots of repetitive sidequests.

It appears Insomniac are happy to take shortcuts to ship out a game quickly.

Last edited:

willothedog

I was surprised how short the game is and little content the game has to offer, considering 5 years since the 1st entry, high amounts of asset reuse and lots of repetitive sidequests.

It appears Insomniac are happy to take shortcuts to ship out a game quickly.
With the amount of marketing PlayStation had planned for this I doubt they had much say in the release date.

I thought Miles Morales was starting to improve the side missions from the first game, but Spider-man 2 almost immediately gives you rehashes of the research project quests from the first game. Like did anyone actually like those?

The game’s a big improvement in a lot of ways but yeah, some of the side-quests feel particularly uninspired after the Miles game.

I thought Miles Morales was starting to improve the side missions from the first game, but Spider-man 2 almost immediately gives you rehashes of the research project quests from the first game. Like did anyone actually like those?

The game’s a big improvement in a lot of ways but yeah, some of the side-quests feel particularly uninspired after the Miles game.
They do a lot of that for loading big set pieces. It's easy to notice if you pa attention. Maybe not the side quests, but when you have to solve a puzzle in the main story, you're doing it because something actually cool is about to happen.

Zimmy68

As I mentioned in the other thread, the fact that they shoe horned a mandatory MJ mission into the final boss fight is just some next level trolling by Insomniac.

I am relived they cut down on the "take a picture of every single building in NYC" photo missions from the first game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As I mentioned in the other thread, the fact that they shoe horned a mandatory MJ mission into the final boss fight is just some next level trolling by Insomniac.

I am relived they cut down on the "take a picture of every single building in NYC" photo missions from the first game.
I think the lady writers and devs couldn’t stomach the ending not having a woman also be involved. Spider-Man can only exist because of MJ.

RickMasters

I love Spider-Man II but...

there is no way to enable Saudi mode from the options menu
I thought it was interesting how they go out of their way to slap all that Woke and alphabet shit in the game…. They Stand so tall on it too…. Unbothered if this stuff offends anybody in the west…. But will crack when arab money tells them to take that shit out. Muslims don’t play when it come to certain types of messages, in media. Yet insomniac/ Sony They were ok with offending Latin people in the game though….. somebody make it make sense. 😅

I’m ready for games to just get back to telling the story at hand as opposed to doling out corny social commentary. It’s like they don’t see what it’s doing to Disney…. But then this is Spider-Man so maybe they gave Sony a mandate to make sure this game try’s its hardest to be woke.

Shame. Gameplay wise it looks like a riot of fun. Devs just need to get back to what matters. The damn game itself. Forget about all this social commentary. We play games to shut out the nonsense of the world.

RickMasters

same shit for the first games.
heck every damn open world game suffers from it.
everything outside the main campaign is just fucking mind-numbingly boring
I was glad to hear that AC mirage does away with all that. I get that these devs want to flesh out the game world with relatable characters or just characters we can care about for the sake of making the world feel lived in…. I get that….. but a lot of these games these days have a lot of pointless fluff that’s clearly designed to just make you spend more time in the game but this stuff is just boring….. who wants to spend their time in spider man 2 doing boring spray painting missions with miles morales sister when you are supposed to be swinging through NYC kicking ass? They could have thought this stuff out much better.

RickMasters

We need a thread for games that overall had the best sidequests. Like ones where the majority of them didn't waste your time and were worth completing.
Any GTA game gets my vote here. And Skyrim… And fall out new vegas. And mass effect 1-3. Outside of those games I can’t think of many games where the side quests didn’t get too same after a while. AC was really starting to get weighed down by it. Glad they cut the fluff. I hope we start seeing pointless unrewarding, side quests that don’t even make you like the side characters any more than you did before. Side quests silhouette be rewarding and a chance for devs to really build out the companion characters and the game world….. for the most part it’s just reduced to fetch quests and silly tasks that really just start to feel like a chore, when you see the repeating pattern.

KXVXII9X

…these side missions are offensively uninspired. The mission where you have to take pictures of the campus and guess where things are is just awful and for some reason after like 5 minutes of not knowing where something is the game decides ok lets end this idiots torture lol.

Not trying to sound mean but the mission with Hailie doing the graffiti for the store owner is what felt like to me at least a half ass attempt at being profound showing her perspective and all and god forgive me if im being honest the character in general feels like an attempt to be inclusive in a diversity for diversity’s sake kind of way. Just my opinion. But whatever the mission is just clunky.

That wierd mission with tracking down the robot dog and giving it to the blind lady as a guide dog lol…i mean some of these are just laughably bad. And the rest are just menial task mini games or defeat the enemies and rid the city of this evil type missions. Blatantly repetitive but whatever i enjoy the combat.

Loved the main story though and the one side mission that im sure those who’ve played the game in its entirety know what im talking about besides the big character reveal is pretty uninspired itself. Wonder if that will be dlc or a half sequel i hope its given a significant chunk of play time because i really love that character.

Also i do want to say more times than not i thoroughly enjoy the writing in this game but it does have moments where its just either very corny and not corny in a classic spidey quip kinda way just downright the joke doesnt land or the line itself doesnt have impact in some of the key emotional moments. After platinum’ing the game i sort of understand Ign’s 8 honestly even though its 🖕 ign. Anyway thanks for reading if you read this tldr tangent.
The side missions were my main issue with the first game despite the rest being great. It is a shame they seemed to carry over. Everything IGN said about the side missions didn't surprise me and I'm not in a rush to buy the game due to that.

mrmustard

Banned
Can you please use spoiler tags for things like this? Planning to pick it up on a Steam sale someday.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Really? I read that the side-missions in this one are way better than in the first game and Miles Morales. I dropped both of these games because of the sleep-inducing side-quests and open world design and was hoping the sequel had corrected those mistakes.

XXL

I think the side missions are better than the 1st game, but still not that great overall.

They should definitely flesh out the photo missions and make them more interesting to engage with. Something like Dead Rising 1 would be great imo.

StereoVsn

This is disappointing to hear. I also was hoping that they would follow up Miles expansion and ramp up the missions. Instead it’s gone worse it seems or at least reverted back to same as first game. 😔😞😮‍💨☹️

Lupin25

Side quests aren’t great… But they aren’t in most games beyond outliers like RDR2 or The Witcher 3. I’m only 5 hrs in though.

I wouldn’t rate the game as high as those, but I’d still give it a 9. Can’t deny the absurd fun of 0-assist webslinging or the insane set pieces.

Edit: As I’ve said, Insomniac should try in the future adding missing person cases, more sci-fi/police type missions, etc.

Last edited:
This is disappointing to hear. I also was hoping that they would follow up Miles expansion and ramp up the missions. Instead it’s gone worse it seems or at least reverted back to same as first game. 😔😞😮‍💨☹️

The games sidequests aren’t that bad overall and some of them are downright epic at certain points, or have good finales, but others having long chains and no real payoff like the EMF missions; like riding the bike through Central park, or virtually shooting shit to save bees with kinda crappy controls, or the photo stuff again … it’s just a mixed bag, with the worst of it probably being a little worse than the original, but the best parts of them being the best in the series…It’s just a mixed bag.

It’s better than the first game for side content, and the high points of the side-content still outweigh the Miles game, but I think just by virtue of being shorter in length and shorter in scope the Miles game just cut it down so the side-content didn’t have as much bullshit.

You don’t play a game Spider-man game to do a relatively leisurely ride along a bike path, or do Harry’s damn research projects which are now the EMF missions:

Last edited:
Top Bottom