• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need target practice / shooter game recommendations for a 7 year old

My 7 year old loves sitting with me and playing the target practice part of Titanfall 2's tutorial, so I want to get her a few similar games where she aim at things, fire and hit them without violent consequences.

I've looked around and honestly couldn't find something that fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I imagine there would be quite a few community made target practice games in Fortnite or Roblox. Both free to play, so might be worth exploring.

StueyDuck

Doom eternal...

Time to rip and tear that bandaid 🤣

Jokes aside, first person shooters are tough for kids if you wish to be very conservative, but I'd recommend just going retro, goldeneye, timesplitters that sort of thing where you shooting characters but it's kind of cartoony and there isn't blood spraying everywhere.

Maybe possibly battlefront? Laser beams, not real guns, no blood

Does it have to be an fps?

PvZ battle for neighborville is genuinely fantastic, and co-op

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Call Of Duty has a shooting range in it you can use to practice with each weapon

I know you were looking for something kid friendly but you don't need to actually enter a match to use it

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Halo Infinite has a great shooting gallery

But I could take from personal experience and just put fuckin Doom for him. He will love it

Celine

For what consoles?
On Wii there are loads of on-rails shooters.
The likes of Eco Shooter, Western Heroes, Dino Strike and Link's Crossbown Training should fit the bill for "without violent consequences".

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I don't play alot of shooters lately but I used to practice with Overwatch 1's tutorial shooting range. If third person view is an option, what about the Splatoon series? It's non violent (ish), colorful, and has single player and coop modes I think.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My 7 year old loves sitting with me and playing the target practice part of Titanfall 2's tutorial, so I want to get her a few similar games where she aim at things, fire and hit them without violent consequences.

I've looked around and honestly couldn't find something that fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

No idea if it's any good, but I searched for archery games:

Toots

Gold Member
My concerned mother sense is tingling.
Maybe it's a good time to make her understand violence has always consequences.
I get you're happy to share something you like with your daughter, but i guess you like to have a beer now and then, would you want to share that with her at 7 ?

Perrott

Gold Member
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 or PC) has a shooting element to it but without any of the explicit violence you'd find in a military shooter.

Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (PS4, PS5, Xbox or PC) is also great! A genuinely (and probably the only) good Destiny clone, with all the charm of PVZ, great TPS mechanics and a super varied gameplay experience: there are several open-world hubs where you do missions and run errands for the various factions, then there's your regular MP with several modes, and also some horde-style PvE modes.

Guilty_AI

Don't know if this would count as "non-violent", but you could try games where you just kill insects or other types of unempathetic creatures

There's also the fantasy route, where you pick a shooter with a scenario so far removed from reality it always just feels game-y

Kilau

Pavlov.

fn-fal-fal.gif

IAmRei

Splatoon series maybe?
Well, there are not many shooters which doesnt have violence as far as i know.

I recall there is funky psychedelic shooter, which shot hearts and the enemy just poof and not even explode. The bullets also heart shaped. I forgot the name but it's on steam. The color is very cute and the musics are cherish as well

Im also recall there is a anime water gun games, but have partial nudity such as swim wears and lot of suggestive squeals.

I get you're happy to share something you like with your daughter, but i guess you like to have a beer now and then, would you want to share that with her at 7 ?
I think that’s why they’re trying to find a game with shooting mechanics, which their daughter has shown interest in, that doesn’t involve killing in order to protect their daughter from being exposed to violence. Yet you suggest making her understand violence has consequences? What would that entail, last of us 2?? And then you equate shooting games to giving alcohol to a child??? They’re specifically trying to find games with shooting mechanics that don’t have adult content, for kids, which is a thing that exists, like splatoon. Kids even shoot rubber bands at each other in real life if you can believe that, does that tickle your karen sensors as well?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
video games 80s GIF

You can’t hurt the dog* so I guess it’s alright.

There’s also clay shooting if not even cartoon ducks are fair game.

*luckily, you can in Smash Ultimate

Soodanim

Gold Member
I know graphics and gameplay are different now, but I remember when the original GTA came out. I wanted it, but the media scare concerned parents that it was going to encourage crime. I remember telling my mum that I wasn't going to steal a limo because it's in the game. I was about 9, so a little bit older, but kids aren't as susceptible to corruption as this post makes them seem.

Real violence has consequences, game violence doesn't, and people are usually pretty good at telling the difference.

I understand your point and want you to understand that this is a conversation between two concerned parents.
My daughter likes to shoot arrows with a bow. She also enjoys games where you throw balls at targets in playgrounds, or arcade games where you throw lassos to catch animals, etc.
She is generally enjoying shooting things at targets and not being exposed to violence. If at all possible, I want to find a game that shoots something other than a gun because honestly without going into the politics of it I don't think children need to be exposed to guns, period.
That said, I really think you trying to portray me as trying to expose her to violence when I stated openly that my intention was to do the exact opposite of that while allowing her to have fun, is strange. That, and trying to equate what I do here to sharing a beer with my daughter - I mean, really, why would you do that?
So, please calm down and relax.

For all the suggestions so far, thank you. There have been very good recommendations, and I'll get to them all in turn. Something like Splatoon would actually be a great game for her, but she can't really coordinate movement and aiming at the same time yet, and honestly she seems to be only interested in aiming and hitting targets.

Cheers.

Tams

I understand your point and want you to understand that this is a conversation between two concerned parents.
My daughter likes to shoot arrows with a bow. She also enjoys games where you throw balls at targets in playgrounds, or arcade games where you throw lassos to catch animals, etc.
She is generally enjoying shooting things at targets and not being exposed to violence. If at all possible, I want to find a game that shoots something other than a gun because honestly without going into the politics of it I don't think children need to be exposed to guns, period.
That said, I really think you trying to portray me as trying to expose her to violence when I stated openly that my intention was to do the exact opposite of that while allowing her to have fun, is strange. That, and trying to equate what I do here to sharing a beer with my daughter - I mean, really, why would you do that?

For all the suggestions so far, thank you. There have been very good recommendations, and I'll get to them all in turn. Something like Splatoon would actually be a great game for her, but she can't really coordinate movement and aiming at the same time yet, and honestly she seems to be only interested in aiming and hitting targets.

Cheers.

Well then, Link's Crossbow training it is then.

Slime Rancher is great.

If third person is okay, then Splatoon and PvZ Garden Warfare. And well, any Zelda too, but BotW and TotK are the best for freeform shooting.

You can do the movement for her, it's especially easy to do with a Switch.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I know graphics and gameplay are different now, but I remember when the original GTA came out. I wanted it, but the media scare concerned parents that it was going to encourage crime. I remember telling my mum that I wasn't going to steal a limo because it's in the game. I was about 9, so a little bit older, but kids aren't as susceptible to corruption as this post makes them seem.

Real violence has consequences, game violence doesn't, and people are usually pretty good at telling the difference.
I'll play the devil's advocate and say gta is "clown" violence which cannot be reproduced in real life, COD and the others military shooters on the other hand... Of course OP isn't in that situation, and his daughter like shooting for the mechanics of it so she would not be drawn by the "inflicting violence upon others" aspect.

The extreme majority of people won't turn into violent sociopath playing videogames. Some will discover themselves to be violent sociopath but that the extent of it. VG is a vocation revelator it won't change you but show you who you really are.

Cheers.
It was a point made not knowing anything about the context, and your daughter's hobbies.
My point was : playing FPS is an adult hobby, you don't want to share an adult hobby with your 7 yo daughter. The parallel with beer was that beer is an adult hobby also, but you'll never share a beer with your 7 yo child, so why do you want to share this other adult hobby with her?
I stupidly thought you were overstating your daughter love for shooting stuff, trying to find ways to keep playing the videogames you liked during your playtime with your daughter.
In my mind, no 7 yo girl could be that into shooting stuff and she was getting along because she wanted to do stuff with you. I was obviously wrong and i hope you'll spend plenty of wonderful time with your daughter shooting stuff (not people :messenger_grinning_sweat: )irl and in vg !

I think that’s why they’re trying to find a game with shooting mechanics, which their daughter has shown interest in, that doesn’t involve killing in order to protect their daughter from being exposed to violence. Yet you suggest making her understand violence has consequences? What would that entail, last of us 2?? And then you equate shooting games to giving alcohol to a child??? They’re specifically trying to find games with shooting mechanics that don’t have adult content, for kids, which is a thing that exists, like splatoon. Kids even shoot rubber bands at each other in real life if you can believe that, does that tickle your karen sensors as well?
Have you been playing those violent videogames again ?
Calm down or i'll take away your xbox for a month and you'll neve find the power cord this time : P

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Plants v zombies is a good shout. Goldeneye Remastered. Original Halo.

Old arena shooters with bots are good too.

radewagon

Now that I'm a parent, I find the arguments about such games both warranted but also completely ridiculous. See, I am totally in the "heck no, a 9 year old shouldn't play GTA" camp. But, it's not because I think that 9 year olds are going to start robbing cars and stealing and such. Nor do I think it will make them do these things down the line. It's much simpler than that. GTA is just not appropriate for that age. I don't want my kid, when they're 9, to spend their free time playing pretend in a world where they can shoot cops and drive over pedestrians. Whether or not that leads to real world violence is a stupid argument and I'm shocked that people make it. No, see, the thing is that a 9 year old doing that for fun is pretty messed up. There are better role-models and better activities to be had elsewhere that could help my kid be better prepared (or at least, more appropriately entertained) at a young age.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t know any non violent games to be honest. There were carnival games on the Wii.

Big Buck Arcade or those Cabela hunter games. Can’t get any more American than that? All the family steak house arcade action one could ever need.

Guns = shooting things = gun violence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom