• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need target practice / shooter game recommendations for a 7 year old

Have you been playing those violent videogames again ?
Calm down or i'll take away your xbox for a month and you'll neve find the power cord this time : P
I probably went a little harder than necessary, I just find it really annoying that in these “looking for a game to share with my child” threads it’s never too long before someone low key accuses the OP of child abuse.

Also I know all your hiding spots in the garage and on the top shelf in your closet, I’m gonna be playing halo and chomping doritos as soon as you leave for work.

For all the suggestions so far, thank you. There have been very good recommendations, and I'll get to them all in turn. Something like Splatoon would actually be a great game for her, but she can't really coordinate movement and aiming at the same time yet, and honestly she seems to be only interested in aiming and hitting targets.

Cheers.
Splatoon uses gyro aiming by default which uses the rotation of the controller itself to aim rather than stick movement. It can be a little tricky for people to get used to at first, but it’s very intuitive and kids will pick it right up. I believe it even has a target practice mode, good luck!

Soodanim

Gold Member
Now that I'm a parent, I find the arguments about such games both warranted but also completely ridiculous. See, I am totally in the "heck no, a 9 year old shouldn't play GTA" camp. But, it's not because I think that 9 year olds are going to start robbing cars and stealing and such. Nor do I think it will make them do these things down the line. It's much simpler than that. GTA is just not appropriate for that age. I don't want my kid, when they're 9, to spend their free time playing pretend in a world where they can shoot cops and drive over pedestrians. Whether or not that leads to real world violence is a stupid argument and I'm shocked that people make it. No, see, the thing is that a 9 year old doing that for fun is pretty messed up. There are better role-models and better activities to be had elsewhere that could help my kid be better prepared (or at least, more appropriately entertained) at a young age.
To be clear, the car stealing was a point I remember the media scare pieces making on TV. My mum just said something to the effect of it not being appropriate, probably based on the rest of the description of it. To me it was just a game, just like any other. Resident Evil 2 at age 10 was the same. Killing, zombies, whatever, it was always just a game.

But that's not to say I don't see your point. Especially in this day and age, there are plenty of alternatives to the graphic violence and whatnot. And it's also a very individual choice. I was always more mature than kids my age and was able to handle that stuff with no trouble once my parents made the decision. That's not necessarily true for others, we're all different.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Apex Legends have a fully-fledged shooting range. And it's a free game..

Edit: I forgot that the range has a couple of static enemies who shoots back..

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I probably went a little harder than necessary, I just find it really annoying that in these “looking for a game to share with my child” threads it’s never too long before someone low key accuses the OP of child abuse.

Also I know all your hiding spots in the garage and on the top shelf in your closet, I’m gonna be playing halo and chomping doritos as soon as you leave for work.
t1nZ8zd.jpg

Wait till your father hear about this !

You are totally right about the insidious accusations and im ashamed to have been that guy.
Thinking about it, i guess i only saw the title before going full Helen Lovejoy. "target practice and shooter game recommandation for a 7 year old" = oh that dude must be a fat NRA loving redneck...
That was dumb and condescending.
Thank you for pointing that to me, and above all thank you very much to still joke with me after the fact !

t1nZ8zd.jpg

Wait till your father hear about this !

You are totally right about the insidious accusations and im ashamed to have been that guy.
Thinking about it, i guess i only saw the title before going full Helen Lovejoy. "target practice and shooter game recommandation for a 7 year old" = oh that dude must be a fat NRA loving redneck...
That was dumb and condescending.
Thank you for pointing that to me, and above all thank you very much to still joke with me after the fact !
Well I feel bad cuz I went too hard and I know you to be a solid poster so I’m sorry I contributed to more negativity, I should chill more.

poodaddy

My daughter's been playing stuff like Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare and Slime Rancher for a long time now, and I have no issue with her playing that stuff. They're very cute and silly, and it's impossible to take them seriously. I wouldn't let her play something with realistic gun violence, but fortunately I don't have to worry about that as she has no interest in that stuff at all.

Top Bottom