• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played 3 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda - Thoughts so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, if you're already a big fan of Bioware games this is probably nothing to worry about. This is just the perfect description of Bioware's faults in the vast majority of their games, so if it hasn't bothered you in the past it probably won't now either.

Their UI/UX department must be an incredibly small team, because even their main menus are slow and cumbersome, let alone their inventory screens. On PC it's even worse. Trying to navigate through Inquisition's inventory was painful, with a list so short it can display 5 items at once, and hovering your mouse over them isn't enough to look at their stat comparison and appearance preview - you have to click on every single entry to get that preview, and then click and drag to equip. Awful UI is a Bioware staple.

515604333.jpg

And regarding story quality... well Mass 2 is usually the most popular entry in the trilogy and it didn't have a story. The writers had no idea how to expand on and deliver with the Reaper plot started with Mass 1, so they created a brand new group of antagonists specifically to keep you occupied for this one game while they tried to work out what to do about the Reapers for Mass 3. Apparently that still didn't buy them enough time. Mass 2's story was literally "assemble a team and kill the new bad guys. Need a reason to hate them? Okay! They just killed you. Mad yet?" 90% of the game is just recruiting people and playing agony aunt to their own personal problems. Once that's done, you kill the new bad guys, the end. Hardly any plot advancement whatsoever, just simultaneously introducing and wrapping up a lengthy side quest. Most players considered the character writing strong enough to make up for the complete lack of advancement in the trilogy's over arching plot.

I had completely forgotten about DA I's inventory management and upgrade system until I just saw this picture. Probably my single biggest gripe with that game. I remember thinking that it seemed like no one outside of bioware had likely put it through its paces and provided feedback. It was clunky to say the least.

JBwB

There's just an attitude that develops around certain games around here that just fucking sucks, and goes way beyond not liking the pre-release footage. And it feels like it's becoming more and more common around Gaming GAF.

It's definitely getting worse.

It's pretty much become a cesspool of hate & negativity at this point to be honest. Not exactly what I signed up for.

valkyre

To be honest, if you're already a big fan of Bioware games this is probably nothing to worry about. This is just the perfect description of Bioware's faults in the vast majority of their games, so if it hasn't bothered you in the past it probably won't now either.

Their UI/UX department must be an incredibly small team, because even their main menus are slow and cumbersome, let alone their inventory screens. On PC it's even worse. Trying to navigate through Inquisition's inventory was painful, with a list so short it can display 5 items at once, and hovering your mouse over them isn't enough to look at their stat comparison and appearance preview - you have to click on every single entry to get that preview, and then click and drag to equip. Awful UI is a Bioware staple.

515604333.jpg

And regarding story quality... well Mass 2 is usually the most popular entry in the trilogy and it didn't have a story. The writers had no idea how to expand on and deliver with the Reaper plot started with Mass 1, so they created a brand new group of antagonists specifically to keep you occupied for this one game while they tried to work out what to do about the Reapers for Mass 3. Apparently that still didn't buy them enough time. Mass 2's story was literally "assemble a team and kill the new bad guys. Need a reason to hate them? Okay! They just killed you. Mad yet?" 90% of the game is just recruiting people and playing agony aunt to their own personal problems. Once that's done, you kill the new bad guys, the end. Hardly any plot advancement whatsoever, just simultaneously introducing and wrapping up a lengthy side quest. Most players considered the character writing strong enough to make up for the complete lack of advancement in the trilogy's over arching plot.

So in a kinda similar way you must be one of those guys who hate Raiders of the Lost Ark because apparently Indiana Jones is irrelevant to the actual plot or outcome of the movie. Right?

Lister

Banned

515604333.jpg

Oh god, that UI. Really not looking forward to having to deal with Bioware's horrible UI design for another 50+ hour game.

Maybe a UI mod? Are there any for Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Any designer working for me that came at me with something like this is looking to get shipped out to a basic UI design workshop, the poor soul :)

Lister

Banned
So in a kinda similar way you must be one of those guys who hate Raiders of the Lost Ark because apparently Indiana Jones is irrelevant to the actual plot or outcome of the movie. Right?

You gotta be shititng me. This thread really is split among fanboys and haters. No in between apparently, except for a few calm heads here and there.

You think a UI that you have to constantly interact with is irrelevant to the experience?

Lister

Banned
Didn't like DAI much, but loved Mass Effect Trilogy. Fingers crossed.

Me too. If they manage to fit the sense of wonder of the universe and it's characters that we got form the original trilogy, well that's going to be awesome.

That doesn't mean we should dismiss the very valid criticisms, nor should we be demonizing those who are bringing them up.

I've got my Orgin Insider account ready to go for tomorrow.

valkyre

You gotta be shititng me. This thread really split amongst fanboys and haters. No in between.

You think a UI that you have to constantly interact with is irrelevant to the experience?

So what part of that quote of mine was exactly referencing UI for you to focus on that? eh?

I was talking about the "Oh ME2 is irrelevant, they did not know what to do..it DOESNT HAVE A STORY!"

I've never seen GAF be so much of an absolute and complete garbage fire about a game release, it's literally insane, I can't wait for this game to be out and for the shitposters to fuck off somewhere far away. It feels that even the trashiest threads on /v/ are worth more than the ones on GAF about Mass Effect right now.

Every thread is filled with sheer stupidity, hate, memes, and I'm sorry that even your thread has to suffer from it Shinobi, it's painfully exhausting to have to read through posts that are accusing you of things and the same overblown negative circlejerks about the game.

When one of the most level-headed and fair poster on this board - who also happens to be one of the biggest Mass Effect fan of our community - tells you it's looking good, you should be really excited, and I know I am.

Preach.

Lister

Banned
So what part of that quote of mine was exactly referencing UI for you to focus on that? eh?

I was talking about the "Oh ME2 is irrelevant, they did not know what to do..it DOESNT HAVE A STORY!"

Sorry, I thought you were referencing the original UI part. It's been nothign but hate, irraitonal defense, hate, irrational defense here.

Does this have to get all religious?

mocoworm

"I'm incredibly excited for you all to experience the massive, engaging world of Mass Effect Andromeda, launching on March 21st, 2017 on the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One all-in-one entertainment device, and PC!"

Get out of here with that! Shinobi602 is a trusted member.

This game is going to be EPIC. I cannot wait to play it! ME is one of my fave IP's.

prag16

Banned
It's definitely getting worse.

It's pretty much become a cesspool of hate & negativity at this point to be honest. Not exactly what I signed up for.
I feel like I'm on /v/ half the time whenever a big new game is launching. And this is likely the worst one yet in terms of the absurdity. -_-

codhand

Get out of here with that! Shinobi602 is a trusted member.

This game is going to be EPIC. I cannot wait to play it! ME is one of my fave IP's.

he can be trusted, but for me the fact still remains that all the dialogue shown so far has been utter shit

valkyre

Some people really make me think that in a pretty twisted way, they are actually wishing that the game flops or is just pure bad, only to satisfy their ego? It feels like they are thrilled to just shitpost just about anything.

I dont know its crazy what is going on with Bioware threads lately...

DAI is apparently "trash", like, the kind of trash that makes several people insulted just to know that it exists out there, Bioware is pure garbage since the EA acquisition and obviously ME1 is the best fucking thing to ever exist, a flawless masterpiece that had amazing combat level design and overall mechanics (special mention to the amazing inventory) and everything after it is pure shooter crap.

cackhyena

Stuff like this is why publishers care less and less about the media and more about 'influencers'. Congrats John Walker, I hope that hot take was worth the Reddit traffic.
So Shinobi, maybe the franchise's biggest fan says he loves it, and this dude basically confirms what a lot of us have been seeing and hearing with our own eyes, and this is how you respond. Dude even says near the beginning that maybe it starts out rough and makes a turnaround.

Influencers make sense for the bottom line. I think it's a gross direction, personally, but I get it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Some crazy denial going on in this thread.

I had hopes for this game, but the examples John mentioned make it seem like they're not gonna come to fruition. A shame.

Stuff like this is why publishers care less and less about the media and more about 'influencers'. Congrats John Walker, I hope that hot take was worth the Reddit traffic.

:lol

It's not hard to imagine publishers liking "influencers" more than the traditional media considering episodes like what happened to Shadow of Mordor, haha.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, John Walker is consistantly the worst writer on RPS by a long shot. More likely the game is good at this point.

I had hopes for this game, but the examples John posted make it seem like they're not gonna come to fruition. A shame.

I mean, with the general consensus erring towards overwhelmingly positive, with John Walker's opinion being the outlier - who is the actual person in denial here?

Some people really make me think that in a pretty twisted way, they are actually wishing that the game flops or is just pure bad, only to satisfy their ego? It feels like they are thrilled to just shitpost just about anything.

I dont know its crazy what is going on with Bioware threads lately...

DAI is apparently "trash", like, the kind of trash that makes several people insulted just to know that it exists out there, Bioware is pure garbage since the EA acquisition and obviously ME1 is the best fucking thing to ever exist, a flawless masterpiece that had amazing combat level design and overall mechanics (special mention to the amazing inventory) and everything after it is pure shooter crap.

Their ego? I honestly don't think the majority of the people making memes and making fun of the game want to see it fail. I mean, the stuff they are making fun of is pretty bad. Pretty sure the same thing would happen if it was a different franchise. Despite all this the game can still end up being good.

I mean, John Walker is consistantly the worst writer on RPS by a long shot. More likely the game is good at this point.

I mean, when he's the only one who gave a negative impressions, why would people listen to him? Outside the people who want this game to fail, of course.

I had hopes for this game, but the examples John mentioned make it seem like they're not gonna come to fruition. A shame.

He might not be wrong in this case, but he has cried wolf so many times now, that people are understandbly very sceptical to him nowadays.

He has a history of letting games be ruined for him completely as soon as he gets just a little frustrated, and then goes on long crazy rants against all opposing opinions. So understandbly, a lot of people won't take what he writes as facts.

I have no particular interest in Andromeda myself, because of not liking Dragon Age: Inquisition, but it is a bit telling that you from this tweet, immediately could know who had written the article.

IPD9ciw.png

Nabbis

I don't know why he thought that but i share the sentiment. My gripe was mostly with the horrible combat and the fact that the open-world did not offer anything redeeming about it compared to the model that Witcher 2 used.

The article he wrote on ME:A also highlights similar annoyances that i don't wish to see in this game.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't even care if this is like DA:I. If I'd liked the combat, DA:I would have been fun.

I love ME combat.

What a poor analysis of ME2's story.

ME2 was the calm before the storm, it was a necessary breather before the full on eruption of war in 3.

A more personal tale, it was there for you to really invest in the characters and the personal world surrounding each of them, so that when 3 came you were truly invested.

It's not the fault of 2 that 3 failed to make good.

So Shinobi, maybe the franchise's biggest fan says he loves it, and this dude basically confirms what a lot of us have been seeing and hearing with our own eyes, and this is how you respond. Dude even says near the beginning that maybe it starts out rough and makes a turnaround.

Influencers make sense for the bottom line. I think it's a gross direction, personally, but I get it.
That 'preview' reads needlessly hostile and like someone who has an axe to grind preemptively. It's also pretty unprofessional to write a preview on that small a slice in such a definitive tone. It really contradicts that opening footage I've seen (which personally didn't blow me away) as well. So much so that I'm having trouble understanding how someone could react the way they did unless they wanted to feel that way for whatever reason.

The fact that a fan impression thread on here reads more nuanced and reasonable than the 'professional' one on a large website is embarrassing. It doesn't have to do with it being a positive or negative impression to me, it has to do with the way that article was written.

I don't know what I expected from someone who felt TW3 was akin to cardboard or whose bio describes him as the site's resident 'grumbler'. Give me the direct impression from someone who actually has liked the series in the past every time.

What general consensus? Is there a batch of recent previews I missed?

Literally yes.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1346773&page=1

Here's a different writer from the exact same publication saying the total opposite giving a glowing preview.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-is-looking-good/

Previews are useless for their intended purpose now. People just look at them to confirm what they already believe. 100 positive impressions with 1 negative one? Trash probably. 100 negative impressions with 1 positive one? I knew this would be good.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
He might not be wrong in this case, but he has cried wolf so many times now, that people are understandbly very sceptical to him nowadays.

He has a history of letting games be ruined for him completely as soon as he gets just a little frustrated, and then goes on long crazy rants against all opposing opinions. So understandbly, a lot of people won't take what he writes as facts.

I have no particular interest in Andromeda myself, because of not liking Dragon Age: Inquisition, but it is a bit telling that you from this tweet, immediately could know who had written the article.

IPD9ciw.png
That's fair enough. The lengths people are going to discredit the guy in this thread are still funny to me, though.

His write-up resonated with me because all of the little slip-ups he mentioned paint a pretty clear picture that this isn't Mass Effect, but a cheap follow-up to the dreary Dragon Age Inquisition. Meanwhile, most positive impressions seem to rely on the usual AAA preview platitudes and steer away from actual game details.

I'm obviously still waiting to hear more on this, but the outlook's not good.

Glad to hear about the music being excellent. One of the things I loved about the original trilogy. I'd recommend an artist called Stellardrone if you want to listen to some cool space music before launch :D

Zakalwe

Banned

Yeh man, your denial does seem a bit weird. The majority of feedback is positive, and John has a track record of having what many would consider a terrible opinion.

That's fair enough. The lengths people are going to discredit the guy in this thread are still funny to me, though.

His write-up resonated with me because all of the little slip-ups he mentioned paint a pretty clear picture that this isn't Mass Effect, but a cheap follow-up to the dreary Dragon Age Inquisition. Meanwhile, most positive impressions seem to rely on the usual AAA preview platitudes and steer away from actual game details.

So basically the previews that agree with your assumptions about the game are valid but the others are generic?

Have you read the first post in the thread you're posting in for starters? Also, people are under NDA for specifics anyways.

I don't even care if this is like DA:I. If I'd liked the combat, DA:I would have been fun.

I love ME combat.

What a poor analysis of ME2's story.

ME2 was the calm before the storm, it was a necessary breather before the full on eruption of war in 3.

A more personal tale, it was there for you to really invest in the characters and the personal world surrounding each of them, so that when 3 came you were truly invested.

It's not the fault of 2 that 3 failed to make good.
Eh I wouldn't call ME2s story nonexistent but it was a stopgap. The 2 story DLC had considerably more relevance to the overall trilogy than the base game had, so much so you could play ME3 w/o ME2 but would be lost w/o Arrival and Shadowbroker.

DAI combat was rad.

cackhyena

That 'preview' reads needlessly hostile and like someone who has an axe to grind preemptively. It's also pretty unprofessional to write a preview on that small a slice in such a definitive tone. It really contradicts that opening footage I've seen (which personally didn't blow me away) as well. So much so that I'm having trouble understanding how someone could react the way they did unless they wanted to feel that way for whatever reason.

The fact that a fan impression thread on here reads more nuanced and reasonable than the 'professional' one on a large website is embarrassing. It doesn't have to do with it being a positive or negative impression to me, it has to do with the way that article was written.

I don't know what I expected from someone who felt TW3 was akin to cardboard or whose bio describes him as the site's resident 'grumbler'. Give me the direct impression from someone who actually has liked the series in the past every time.
It does read as needlessly hostile for sure. I'm honestly still on the fence. I haven't like much of what I've seen so far. I dug the first three, (especially two) well enough. I heard the GB guys weren't too impressed based off the latest bombcast? I'll have to listen to that as well. Reviews will be interesting.

Well, for me personally my gaming tastes tend to jive a lot with Shinobi's.
I know this from the OT's he tends to make and his GoTY lists.

His write up has actually encouraged me that the game is gonna be something I'll enjoy quite a bit even if some of the preview footage has left me a little weary (bad dialogue/awful faces and animations are the main culprit)

But performance is solid on the PS4 Pro where I'll be playing and that was one of my larger concerns recently.

I'm just ready for a new Mass Effect, warts and all really. It's been so long since we've had a well realised space opera epic.

Now I need to find the time to play this goddamn game because it looks 60+ hours....

Haha you've got to be fucking kidding me dude. All those other previews that don't align with my preconceived notion are bull but this one negative preview is totally ace. I'm sure you've read all those previews too right? Including this very thread created by a GAFer? Is his post just "the usual AAA preview platitudes"?

Bod

Neo Member
Well the early access unlocks at 5pmEDT/ 9.30pm GMT so we can all see for ourselves fairly soon what the game is like

Catvoca

Banned
It does read as needlessly hostile for sure. I'm honestly still on the fence. I haven't like much of what I've seen so far. I dug the first three, (especially two) well enough. I heard the GB guys weren't too impressed based off the latest bombcast? I'll have to listen to that as well. Reviews will be interesting.

It was less so the GB guys and more so GameSpot's Peter Brown, who guested on the episode. He has never played an ME game before and was pretty unimpressed by what he's played of Andromeda.

'Dreary Dragon Age Inquisition'. Have you forget that it's the #4 GOTY in Gaf, just below the 3 Nintendo games? Do you ever think of the possibility thay people actually loved it? But of course, they're all in denial. It's easier to mention it that way.

Zakalwe

Banned
Eh I wouldn't call ME2s story nonexistent but it was a stopgap. The 2 story DLC had considerably more relevance to the overall trilogy than the base game had, so much so you could play ME3 w/o ME2 but would be lost w/o Arrival and Shadowbroker.

DAI combat was rad.

It was a stopgap /on purpose/, and the DLC was there to create a strong link after the base game was established. There's nothing wrong with this from a stroy telling perspective.

Again, the /only/ reason 2 feels slightly out of place is because 3 was a mess and ignored too much of what happened in 2, especially Harbinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom