• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Magni was the first person to intimidate Kratos

Fbh

You know GOW 2018 was great when in every thread about it, regardless of what the OP is about, you get tons of people that can't help but to post about how they didn't like it or how it's actually a bad game. No better sign of a good game than when it gets people desperate to let everyone know that they didn't think it was good.

Anyway, I don't know OP, seems to me that in the game in general Kratos was more on edge both because he didn't want to endanger the kid and also because he was trying not to go back to his old self.

shoegaze

More complex - ok. Still, for me its combat was closer to a SoulsBourne than a GoW. And I liked the GoW Hack'nSlay mechanics.

Imaginative yes, but no, not more than the old ones.
Looking absolutely breathtaking? Yes, but the old ones did as well when they were released. I remember reviews which said, GoW II on Ps2 looks as good as next-gen (ps360 then) games. And boy, did the games look good!
So it's nothing that special that GoW2018 also looks good.

What did I miss? The writing was okay, just like every other AAA singleplayer game Sony. For me, the story was boring and hyped. Could be a sidequest :"go up the highest mountain and get rid of your mother's ashes".

You don't say. 5 years after it's predecessor and 1 consolegeneration later.

Yes.

What is wrong with wanting a product that builds on the strengths of its predecessor but does not throw them overboard? Now we have the basis of a generic 3rd person action game with a bearded old man and his son living somewhere in the snow in their forest hut. And that sounds even more exciting than it is. Next we walk through a semiopen world again like in any modern game, fighting against small groups of enemies instead of hordes, because the fighting system is now "so complex" and you would lose the overview if there were 20 enemies on the screen at the same time.

Unfortunately, yes.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game while playing it and it was good. But as I said before, it's not a GoW no more.

And I'm disappointed, not because of my nostalgia. There is none, as I said, I played the saga like two years ago the first time. But because of the game wants to be deep, wants to be mature, wants to be serious but it just overestimates itself. I was just annoyed by grumpy Kratos and Boy.
Mid game I hoped Boy dies and Kratos becomes the old one...also the pacing was totally off. Once you realize, you're just climbing or crawling in superslowmotion because the game needs to load the next area, it gets SO annoying.
The old loadscreens got me hyped, I was more like "yes new chapter, mission accomplished" instead of being annoyed by slow climbing grumpy kratos. Same goes for Shadow of Tomb Raider, but that's another story.

I could write for hours stating out why I don't like GoW2018 as much as the old ones.
The game has hit exactly the point where the majority of players are just about to go for it.

It's a casual adventure now which is ok, but not outstanding.
7/10

Valid points. I'm only going to reiterate that I enjoyed it immensely after letting go of my expectations and playing it as a standalone game without history. They could've changed the main character and a couple of writing bits and got a new IP which would've pleased some people, but it basically IS a new IP no matter the history. It was obvious from the first gameplay videos that it is more of a re-imagining than a sequel.

It wasn't necessarily what I would call a "bad" game, but it was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Stay-at-home dad Kratos is not my Kratos.

kUzOv2O.jpg

If they don't return to vengeful, irascible Kratos, I'm done with this franchise.

Hinedorf

Banned
The combat was so limited that most minion fights were just repetitive rather than fun. The Valkyries however were fantastic to fight, maybe I'm trash but some of them I found really difficult and I spent significant time to learn their moves, I wanted more valkyries and less minion fights.

Visually though the game LOOKED like a Game of the Year more so than anything released. Seeing the close up skin texture on Kratos was pretty damn impressive when you look by comparison that RDR2 only gets similar visuals on a high end PC.

Blond

Banned
People who say this was a bad game I cannot take seriously.

This games like Red Dead Redemption 2 IMO. It's not that it's bad, it just has some glaring flaws that many can't understand why people ignore them. I think it's a solid 8/10, it kept me engaged more than The Last of Us which was a borderline movie at times which is something I can't even part my lips to say about this game.

-combat needs some serious tweaking and variety (Which is confirmed when Cory even said they didn't figure the combat loop till 4 months before the game launched) and trolls were boring to fight since all you did was strafe and throw your axe for 80% of the encounter. Hand to hand was basically useless outside of spartan rage.

-instant weapon switching replaced with the janky button selection, would've made combos more fun and interesting if it wasn't so concerned with the presentation and ridiculous DmC style slowdowns during certain moves.

-Countering made no sense, enemy broadcast were never accurate despite the visual cue, it would've been better to NOT have the cue and learn the actual timing yourself like the old games.

-A more stable framerate. When I played it on a pro, it felt very video gamey and more responsive at 45fps, if I played this game on base consoles this would've made me quit from how it's straight up Eurojank at times, something you wouldn't expect from a big budget game. Would've loved a 900p/60 vs 1080p/45 we got but then again there's always replaying it on the PS5 *shrug*

-Not being able to skip cutscenes on replays without a patch, months after the game launched and it's flavor of the month status was cemented.

-Instantly healing in cutscenes but not in game

-Cockteasing sequel bait laid ALL over the game, no real "gods" of note were fought and no notable mythological creatures that aren't generic. And human enemies were such a joke I don't even know why they bothered, they all died in single hits.

Last edited:

Pejo

The biggest 180 for the sequel would be that Son dies and Kratos goes full back into rage mode. Honestly I'd love to see it happen but Barlog doesn't have the balls for it anymore.

Top Bottom