• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I understand why people pirate games

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I purchased Immortals Fenyx Rising and went through hell and yet am not able to play it. Now I understand why people say pirates get better experience. Fuck this shit.

I bought the game on Epic store. Tried to launch it. Asks to connect Ubisoft account. Connected. Then motherfucker asks for an activation code. The fuck? Searched net and very common issue. So then I try launching from ubisoft software. There the game is in my library but its greyed out and says 'this game is currently not part of your Ubisoft+ subscription service'. What? I dont even have Ubisoft+.

I tried various troubleshoot tips on reddit for a couple of hours. A weekend that was supposed to be fun playing this game became time wasting shit. Finally requested a refund.

Why wont people pirate if this is their experience with genuine games? Just download and copy the crack and play. No bullshit running around trying to sort things out.

Kenpachii

There are many reasons why people pirate.

Couple i can think off

1) no drm
2) test if the game actually runs on there PC because no demo
3) smaller file size download ( data cap / shit internet )
4) rips that reduce file size on there smaller SSDs to still play the game.
5) to expensive.
6) locking content behind events or other artificial barriers.

Devs really dropping the ball for lower end users with limited resources. And that will push people away from there products.

Last edited:
This is pc problem. This much of tinkering would be required to run any game.

I was unable to play Halo 2 that I bought on a disc some years ago. Started buying used games on xbox 360 published by ms after that to get even.

The Fartist

Gold Member
we have a pirate here
zps4OkN.gif

Knightime_X

If I ever pirate it's to see if I like it and if it will work on my pc.
Also if I really want a game and can't buy it legit like say an N64 game then I don't see any problems downloading a copy.
I'm not going to pay some random 30x more for an official copy.
Fuck that guy if the OG devs don't get my money then nobody will.

LOLCats

Banned
to be honest i used to pirate games when i was poor and digital marketplaces didnt exist.

now pc games are so cheap on sale its often less than a trip to mcdonalds.

so for me at the time it was always about cost.

your reason is much different and generally not the reason people pirate games.

Last edited:
its called stealing

Nope, pirating isnt stealing.

Do you steal if you take picture of some famous painting in museum? even if they ask money to have right to take pics?

Do you steal if you lend a book/game/movie from library, instead of buying it? what if you make a copy of it at home?

Do you steal if you watch a movie from tv? or record it?

Do you steal if you share account with a friend and play the same game?

Do you steal if you buy disc game and share it with friend?

Do you steal if you make a group of 100 people whom share one game between them all in turns?

Do you steal if you buy used game, because original owner gets zero?

While there is royalties paid in tv/library and so on, from consumer standpoint watching or not watching doesnt affect it.

Digital products are kind of grey area, if person would not ever pay for the product and pirates it = seller doesnt lose anything.

For consoles I usually dont think pirating is "needed" because they usually just work, but Nintendo products are kind of different as because Nintendo is greediest company of the three and almost never lowers their prices of old games which many have been ports of wii u games in current gen, I see it fair that some people just pirate their games.

Again, Nintendo loses nothing as some people just wont pay full price for old games. So either they pirate it, or buy used.

Of course there are different kind of pirates.

if someone have good job with plenty of money, they should buy their stuff.

If someone have lot of money, but wastes it on stupid shit like alcohol, drugs, restaurants etc, but pirate games, then they are bastards

If someone just could not afford the same experiences because they cant get a job, or have low salary, they could not buy them anyway but pirating them is fair as their life is poor enough already + maybe in the future they buy more games if they get more money.

Many just assume that people that pirate have an option to either buy it, or pirate it. But to many +50€ for a product is majority of the money they have to spend for food and stuff. And nope, it is not fair to tell them that then they should not even game, just stare a wall or something.

Most people pirate because it's free, not because of the hassle.
As someone who went from rampant piracy to owning 300+ legitimate game copies on Steam and GOG because of convenience and ancillary benefits, I beg to differ.

A lot of people pirate for cost savings, of course, but I'd argue most do it for different reasons, specifically due to the many non-DRM features platforms like Steam provide, that pirates don't get.

Kuranghi

I played the leaked, only-french-VO, Halo 3 when it came out for Xbox. It was a terrible experience and I should have waited but I was a smelly student with no money.

Sometimes you wouldn't have bought it anyway so its not a loss in that case, if anything there is still word of mouth there, but there is no way to know that without perfect parallel universe simulators.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Why would you buy it through Epic Games? Why not give Ubisoft the business and not give the scum at Epic a cut? It still forces you to launch Uplay anyways.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
With today’s frequent sales, there should be no need to pirate anything.

If a game releases in a buggy state for example, wait it out. Wait for a version that is fully fixed, maybe includes all dlc and is in a sale.
Vote with your wallet and send a message of either support or disdain.

Nowadays if I pirate a game, it's just to see if it's worth buying.

I remember being pissed off because of bioshock and crysis warhead having limited activations. Oh, you reinstalled windows but forgot to revoke the previous game installation? Sucks to be you.

Last edited:

Killer8

Some games you need to pirate because they are no longer on sale, like Devotion, Silent Hill 2 and 3, and the original Sims.

Some games I would pirate like Disco Elysium because it's made by filthy commies who i'm never giving a cent to anyway.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I played the leaked, only-french-VO, Halo 3 when it came out for Xbox. It was a terrible experience and I should have waited but I was a smelly student with no money.

Sometimes you wouldn't have bought it anyway so its not a loss in that case, if anything there is still word of mouth there, but there is no way to know that without perfect parallel universe simulators.
Nothing comes close to Halo 3 German version, got it from some auction on X360 and Meister Chief still haunts me in the sleep. Did not understand any of that. And back then I did not have that much interest in the game to buy myself new copy...so yeah.

It was legitimate copy, but still. Still have it somewhere.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nothing comes close to Halo 3 German version, got it from some auction on X360 and Meister Chief still haunts me in the sleep. Did not understand any of that. And back then I did not have that much interest in the game to buy myself new copy...so yeah.

It was legitimate copy, but still. Still have it somewhere.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Brilliant stuff, now I'm imagining a fully suited MC saying Guten Tag is a jolly german accent while waving, haha.

Fredrik

Most people pirate because it's free, not because of the hassle.
Yep. I have some friends who pirate anything they can, not because of some complicated reason, they just want free games. I’ve tried reasoning with them and say they should at least support the devs and games they like, but nah 😕

I'd say 95% because pirating is free.

Note PC platform is not the only one having pirated games, I think Switch pirate gaming is also pretty big. Did they not just arrest two guys selling mods recently?

brian0057

Banned
As our Lord and Savior, Gabe Newell, once preached: "Piracy is almost always a service problem, not a pricing issue."
Remember when Assassin's Creed II launched and the pirates had the superior experience over paying customers due to their draconian DRM?
Yeah, that's a service issue.

Fbh

I'd argue the main reason for piracy is still that it's free. If it was just about DRM the "correct" thing to do would be to still buy the game but then just torrent it instead of installing it through the legit way. Somehow I doubt that's what the average person on a torrent sites does.

With that said, yeah DRM is shit and usually doesn't stop piracy and just ends up making the experience worse for people that are actually payig for the game. When anti piracy measures make your experience worse than playing a pirated copy, there's something wrong with the system.

Killer8

Reminder that governments have suppressed research into piracy because it's found to have zero negative impact on sales:

People who pirate either don't have the money or weren't willing to buy the product to begin with. It may even boost sales if the pirate enjoys it enough to want to buy it later when they have the funds.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Honestly I have paid subscriptions to xfinity, hbo, netflix, Disney, etc but my go to is still popcorn time because the interface, previews, and video quality are such shit on paid services. If it wasn't for steam I'd probably still be pirating games I'm sure :messenger_expressionless:

Batiman

Banned
Pirating is for bums. If you can’t afford the game, you shouldn’t be playing it. Use that time to make money instead.

Fuz

Banned
Is it still considered pirating if you don't sell the install file? You know, just for personal use.
Right. Is it maybe morally ambiguos, but how would you people consider buying a game i.e. on steam, then downloading a pirated copy to play it hassle free?

Trimesh

Banned
Right. Is it maybe morally ambiguos, but how would you people consider buying a game i.e. on steam, then downloading a pirated copy to play it hassle free?

Back in the early days of disc-based DRM I bought quite a few games and then ended up having to crack them because they simply refused to run despite being originals.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I buy my games because it’s more convenient. If it becomes more convenient to pirate, you have a point. But it rarely is. This situation is an exception and you’re right to be annoyed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'll always remember the Medal of Honor german lesson video lines the best even though I have a basic understand of German haha:

"The American has dog biscuits in his pocket"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I learn German at high school, so I am not exactly sure how I was able to translate german sentences before it was said in English. But damn that language is hard : D

Well Czech is even harder, that's why I am enjoying writing in English, much less grammar bullshit

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Well, I mean, they did thank the founders of the communist manifesto in their TGA speech and Marx's ideas caused millions upon millions to suffer, starve and die.

edit - I took out the question and edited out my personal opinion of Marx, its not really the right place to talk about this.

Last edited:
I purchased Immortals Fenyx Rising and went through hell and yet am not able to play it. Now I understand why people say pirates get better experience. Fuck this shit.

I bought the game on Epic store. Tried to launch it. Asks to connect Ubisoft account. Connected. Then motherfucker asks for an activation code. The fuck? Searched net and very common issue. So then I try launching from ubisoft software. There the game is in my library but its greyed out and says 'this game is currently not part of your Ubisoft+ subscription service'. What? I dont even have Ubisoft+.

I tried various troubleshoot tips on reddit for a couple of hours. A weekend that was supposed to be fun playing this game became time wasting shit. Finally requested a refund.

Why wont people pirate if this is their experience with genuine games? Just download and copy the crack and play. No bullshit running around trying to sort things out.

This and skyrocketing prices are the most valid point I bring in favour of piracy

I Don't pirate anything since the cracked psp who basically turned into a multi retroconsole, but I feel no empathy for developers and sh who release scams, unfinished games - talking with you CD project - and put their games over 70 dollars at launch

Not being able to enjoy your favourite game on day one because it costs 1/3 of a console, and waiting for a price Drop only to get spoilers and such is very sad

Games should have a set price of 30-50 at max. dollars forever

Sometimes I also used to pirate my most wanted games, trying them to judge if they really were worth the price, then immediately, of after a nice price Drop, buy the complete version for my physical collection and play that on the original console

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its pretty sad that in most cases if you pirate the game you get a smoother experience ....so I hear :messenger_medmask:

Last edited:
Top Bottom