• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I understand why people pirate games

Killer8

tenor.gif

sublimit

Banned
I have never pirated a game in my life. I always a had a quality over quantity mentality. Maybe it's due to (seriously) getting into gaming when i was old enough to buy my first console (PS1) with my own money and i appreciated owning games that came in their official boxes with their manuals and most importantly played properly.My time was precious and i didn't cared playing hundrends of junk games. I also didn't want to risk damaging my console.
I may have missed playing some hidden gems back then but still i feel like i have played and bought most of the games that really interested me thanks to being informed by magazines and demos. I still have those games i bought back then as well as my demos that introduced me to some of the games i may have not tried otherwise. Meanwhile everyone of my friends that used to pirate games have nothing today except their memories. They often can't even remember the name of a game they played and liked.

Maybe this mentality that i still have is also why i'm not interested in services like Gamepass.

Last edited:

Bkdk

There are times that developers will force the game to be updated all of a sudden for the digital version, then all the old mods just becomes unavailable, pirate keeps record for many older versions and that could be very helpful at times.

mistakable

Neo Member
Nope, pirating isnt stealing.

Do you steal if you take picture of some famous painting in museum? even if they ask money to have right to take pics?

Do you steal if you lend a book/game/movie from library, instead of buying it? what if you make a copy of it at home?

Do you steal if you watch a movie from tv? or record it?

Do you steal if you share account with a friend and play the same game?

Do you steal if you buy disc game and share it with friend?

Do you steal if you make a group of 100 people whom share one game between them all in turns?

Do you steal if you buy used game, because original owner gets zero?

While there is royalties paid in tv/library and so on, from consumer standpoint watching or not watching doesnt affect it.

Digital products are kind of grey area, if person would not ever pay for the product and pirates it = seller doesnt lose anything.

For consoles I usually dont think pirating is "needed" because they usually just work, but Nintendo products are kind of different as because Nintendo is greediest company of the three and almost never lowers their prices of old games which many have been ports of wii u games in current gen, I see it fair that some people just pirate their games.

Again, Nintendo loses nothing as some people just wont pay full price for old games. So either they pirate it, or buy used.

Of course there are different kind of pirates.

if someone have good job with plenty of money, they should buy their stuff.

If someone have lot of money, but wastes it on stupid shit like alcohol, drugs, restaurants etc, but pirate games, then they are bastards

If someone just could not afford the same experiences because they cant get a job, or have low salary, they could not buy them anyway but pirating them is fair as their life is poor enough already + maybe in the future they buy more games if they get more money.

Many just assume that people that pirate have an option to either buy it, or pirate it. But to many +50€ for a product is majority of the money they have to spend for food and stuff. And nope, it is not fair to tell them that then they should not even game, just stare a wall or something.

If a country 'borrowed' the nuclear codes off another country i guess they could say its fine cos they didn't steal it then. 🤷‍♂️
...It is stealing as it theft of potential revenue from a license agreement so yeah kinda is stealing... also...this...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I purchased Immortals Fenyx Rising and went through hell and yet am not able to play it. Now I understand why people say pirates get better experience. Fuck this shit.

I bought the game on Epic store. Tried to launch it. Asks to connect Ubisoft account. Connected. Then motherfucker asks for an activation code. The fuck? Searched net and very common issue. So then I try launching from ubisoft software. There the game is in my library but its greyed out and says 'this game is currently not part of your Ubisoft+ subscription service'. What? I dont even have Ubisoft+.

I tried various troubleshoot tips on reddit for a couple of hours. A weekend that was supposed to be fun playing this game became time wasting shit. Finally requested a refund.

Why wont people pirate if this is their experience with genuine games? Just download and copy the crack and play. No bullshit running around trying to sort things out.
Thats why i keep download ps2 , ps3 , ps1, snes games and dreamcast.... i wont give a cent to this shitty company.... same happend to Assassins creed 2 in PC, one day i want play it but i cant because the same problem as you have it.

Megatron

Do you steal if you take picture of some famous painting in museum? even if they ask money to have right to take pics?

Do you steal if you lend a book/game/movie from library, instead of buying it? what if you make a copy of it at home?

Do you steal if you make a group of 100 people whom share one game between them all in turns?

While there is royalties paid in tv/library and so on, from consumer standpoint watching or not watching doesnt affect it.

Digital products are kind of grey area, if person would not ever pay for the product and pirates it = seller doesnt lose anything.

For consoles I usually dont think pirating is "needed" because they usually just work, but Nintendo products are kind of different as because Nintendo is greediest company of the three and almost never lowers their prices of old games which many have been ports of wii u games in current gen, I see it fair that some people just pirate their games.

Again, Nintendo loses nothing as some people just wont pay full price for old games. So either they pirate it, or buy used.

If someone have lot of money, but wastes it on stupid shit like alcohol, drugs, restaurants etc, but pirate games, then they are bastards

If someone just could not afford the same experiences because they cant get a job, or have low salary, they could not buy them anyway but pirating them is fair as their life is poor enough already + maybe in the future they buy more games if they get more money.

Many just assume that people that pirate have an option to either buy it, or pirate it. But to many +50€ for a product is majority of the money they have to spend for food and stuff. And nope, it is not fair to tell them that then they should not even game, just stare a wall or something.
It’s stealing. Don’t try to rationalize it. Your examples are not the same. Eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich also isn’t stealing which is about as relevant as your examples.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
hahah Epic store. i understand why you pirated too.

the launcher is a pain. several games i bought on it no longer work. or the controllers just stopped working. PC gaming can rule at times but it can also be a massive pain.

for that reason i bought it on PS5. performance is rock solid and compatibility is no issue.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you can acquire it legally then its wrong imo
No amount of "DRM" "it's runs poorly" excuses is good enough

Long wall of bullshit.

anyways, most people steal.. cause its free. They dont give no fucks about no DRM. Gaming on PC is annoying. Always some random little thing.

Kadayi

Banned

Well, I mean, they did thank the founders of the communist manifesto in their TGA speech and Marx's ideas caused millions upon millions to suffer, starve and die.

edit - I took out the question and edited out my personal opinion of Marx, its not really the right place to talk about this.

Develop a sense of humour. They're being ironic.

If you'd played the game you'd know that they shit on communism something hard throughout. Paging @hariseldon as I dare say he'll have a few words to say on this matter

Last edited:

FranXico

There are many reasons why people pirate.

Couple i can think off

1) no drm
2) test if the game actually runs on there PC because no demo
3) smaller file size download ( data cap / shit internet )
4) rips that reduce file size on there smaller SSDs to still play the game.
5) to expensive.
6) locking content behind events or other artificial barriers.

Devs really dropping the ball for lower end users with limited resources. And that will push people away from there products.
7) Old games that can't be found for sale, even digitally.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
I pirate because that shit is free. I'm only a moralist as it directly involves other people, not when I'm in the comfort of my own bedroom free from all accountability. Sure, it's disrespectful to all the time and hard work the developers put in, but this world fucks everyone over so much, might as well get my dues in too. Would you swipe a PS5 sitting out in the open if you were guaranteed to reap no repercussions? I sure as hell would.

Kuranghi

If you'd played the game you'd know that they shit on communism something hard throughout. Paging @hariseldon as I dare say he'll have a few words to say on this matter

I haven't played it, no. I do have a sense of humor though so learning that changes my opinion of them completely, thats so funny they did that ha.

I was a bit confused because what I had seen of it didn't exactly seem to show communism in a good light. The game wasn't really my style so I didn't delve too deep into the themes of the game apart from a few gameplay videoes without context.

But thanks again, I can stop embarrassing myself over that now. Much appreciated.

edit - I should've realised by the way she laughed a bit when she said it. I was watching TGA in the UK live, so it was late at night and I was probably half asleep so cut me some slack on that one ha.

Now I really want to try it.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Not at a PC, typing on a stupid iPhone. The game is fucking amazing. The writers are clearly educated and capable of critical thought, something rare in this day and age, and they show that by giving shit to every position. I hate commies as much as the next guy but the game is nowhere near being commie propaganda and if we start pirating games for developer wrongthink, and find we can’t separate art from artist, we simply become Ree in reverse.

Elcid

Banned
I used to pirate all the time as a kid cause it was normal, I had no money and my parents didn’t have a lot of money. Once I got a job I stopped pirating altogether. Nowadays I may let a friend send me a cracked copy to try a game out with them. If the game is not worth it I delete it and move on with my life and if it’s great, I buy it.

Killer8

Not at a PC, typing on a stupid iPhone. The game is fucking amazing. The writers are clearly educated and capable of critical thought, something rare in this day and age, and they show that by giving shit to every position. I hate commies as much as the next guy but the game is nowhere near being commie propaganda and if we start pirating games for developer wrongthink, and find we can’t separate art from artist, we simply become Ree in reverse.

Thanks for providing your input without being a condescending fagaloon like the other guy, i'll maybe check it out now.

Most people pirate because it's free, not because of the hassle.
Long wall of bullshit.

anyways, most people steal.. cause its free. They dont give no fucks about no DRM. Gaming on PC is annoying. Always some random little thing.
I don’t speak for everyone that pirates, but I stopped pirating video games in the late 2000s because it’s a massive hassle getting around DRMs. I stick to super sales on steam because it’s easier than getting games for free. Plus, you’re not going to get access to multiplayer games through pirating, so why even try?
Hentai Art should always be free though.

Quasicat

I had an old student who had similar problems with a game he bought so he gave up and torrented it and it worked fine.
A few years ago, I had several student bring in their 3DS for an impromptu Mario Kart tournament after testing. It really surprised me how many had just downloaded the cia files and loaded them onto their systems. All of them also had R4 cards too so there were literally a thousand or more games on a single system.
I asked them about downloading the games from the eshop and they looked at me like I was from another planet... “do you actually spend money on your games?” Silly me, I guess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why do people pirate. IMO, it's going to be because they don't want to pay or it's so easy to do, just do it. So for most pirates, it's be #1 Price #2 Ease, or vice versa.

We've all pirated games or music tracks at some point. But later in life, I guess it assumes you got money. You just buy everything. I still buy movie discs when I know I can torrent them.

And to be fair for anyone who is the ultimate anti-pirater all holy. How many people on this forum actually grew up paying for legit copies of Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Photoshop and all that other shit at the store that costs $500 per pop? Not too many. Maybe sometimes (like everyone bought Win 95), but I think just about all of us back in the day passed around CDs friend to friend with the latest productivity software on it.

I don't think I knew one guy who actually spent $500 on Adobe Photoshop. But it sure seemed like everyone had it even if they didn't use it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Pirated copies are basically my demo versions. Download for free, play, and if I like, buy.

I don't care if you pirate games, movies, or music. Everyone does. What I find funny are the excuses you feel the need to cover it up.

I have a really good friend that likes to act self-righteous about so many things. He dosen't have a job and has been pirating games for pc. No big deal, but it went from "well I'll buy them if they were on GoG" to "just wanted to see if they worked" to nothing.

If you're pirating a game, you're pirating.

K.S v2.0

Banned
I pirate games for 3 reasons:

1) To test and see if I like it. If I like it and its actually an honest game (ie no always online, no ScaMTX, etc) I buy it.

2) To test and see what the fuss is about, but also to deliberately not give money to greedy scum devs pushing the Games As A Scam™ model, or to greedy scum devs in general that think its ok to sell 40% of a game and sell the remaining 60% as "DLC" (Koei Tecmo looking at you). I usually wind up deleting these coz they tend to just be not worth playing in general.

3) To piss off corporate cocksucking shills. Their tears are sweet wine... tho not as sweet as REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE tears.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member

No officer I was just borrowing the Ferrari. It's not fair that I couldn't afford it and really needed to get to the other side of the country.

giphy.gif

Redlancet

Banned
There are many reasons why people pirate.

Couple i can think off

1) no drm
2) test if the game actually runs on there PC because no demo
3) smaller file size download ( data cap / shit internet )
4) rips that reduce file size on there smaller SSDs to still play the game.
5) to expensive.
6) locking content behind events or other artificial barriers.

Devs really dropping the ball for lower end users with limited resources. And that will push people away from there products.
And a big one reason, cheap Mother fuckers who dont value others hard work, thats, dont buy the game, but dont come me with all that pile of bs excuses, always the same ones

Pirates are just mediocre and dishonest hipocrytes who come with a list of reasons instead of the real one, they dont want to pay, its that simple

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I pirate games for 3 reasons:

1) To test and see if I like it. If I like it and its actually an honest game (ie no always online, no ScaMTX, etc) I buy it.

2) To test and see what the fuss is about, but also to deliberately not give money to greedy scum devs pushing the Games As A Scam™ model, or to greedy scum devs in general that think its ok to sell 40% of a game and sell the remaining 60% as "DLC" (Koei Tecmo looking at you). I usually wind up deleting these coz they tend to just be not worth playing in general.

3) To piss off corporate cocksucking shills. Their tears are sweet wine... tho not as sweet as REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE tears.
Man you are so edgy, whats your actual work? Just for curiosity

NahaNago

Most of the folks I know who pirate is just because it's free. Scratch that, all of the folks I know who pirate do it because it's free.

GAMETA

Banned
No, no, no, my friend, you started it in the wrong when you bought the piece of floating shit that is that game.

Don't buy Ubisoft's generic trash, they're not worth the bandwidth.

If you want a BotW's cousin, get Genshin Impact, it's gasha but has more dignity than any Ubi game.

NahaNago

Games should have a set price of 30-50 at max. dollars forever

That is just silly everything's price tends to go up over time. I swear it seems like every thing has nearly doubled in price since I was a kid from candy, cards, and sodas I honestly expect video game prices to rise even further. Games are getting bigger, costing more, and has a ton more features in them these days. The only games I can see even starting at the 30 range would be indie games these days.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've only done this with games that are out of print and hard to find or too expensive.

Even buying a 400 dollar copy of Lunar 2 Complete off eBay no longer benefits the developer so why the fuck not "pirate" it?

Otherwise I stick to GOG almost exclusively because I like DRM free.

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
For me, i pirate games because i have no money, BUT when the game become on sales i tried to buy a legit copy since i work. if i had the money i will never pirate. But i don't its hard enough to pay bills and buy food these days. But that doesn't mean i dont buy a few legit games from time to time when i have some spar.
And like many says sometime the legit one doesn't even work

Last edited:

Rikkori

Navigating this topic like:

image-asset.gif

Not wrong OP, in particular Ubisoft is one of the worst companies to give your money to because they make it so hard to do it & they fuck you over at every turn both because their client is utter shite & because of how harsh the DRM is, as well as other issues. I really wish I had done something else with the money I paid for Origins when in fact it was a pirate group that removed the DRM and made the game so much more enjoyable without. So now even though I've got the "legit" version I only ever play the cracked one because it's literally superior to their shit store. But it's a good lesson to learn, Ubisoft's never ever gonna see serious money from me again if this is how they choose to sell me the games.

Pirating a game you legitimately bought so you can actually play it isn't really a problem for most of us. But the idea seems to be might as well pirate everything because x game didn't work at launch?

Actually the problem is with EGS.
I played a game in it. And thats it ! I would never ever again touch EGS agin. The worst exprience I have had.

Vae_Victis

Banned
If a country 'borrowed' the nuclear codes off another country i guess they could say its fine cos they didn't steal it then. 🤷‍♂️
...It is stealing as it theft of potential revenue from a license agreement so yeah kinda is stealing... also...this...

Fun fact: the creators of that ad didn't have the legal permissions to use the music they way they did. They commissioned it from an artist with the specific provision to only play it during a screening of the ad at a particular music festival in Netherlands, but then went along and put the same ad with the same music in dozens of DVDs distributed all over the world.

In other words, that anti-piracy ad was distributing music illegally.

BptVE1JIEAAA3dT.jpg

Last edited:

Hudo

People also pirate cuz we get no demos or gameplay footage and want to try a game
this, basically. I also download repacks of games I bought because I don't want to deal with/install Steam etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom