• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a company to make a set like the Xbox was supposed to be.

Odoul

Anyone else remember the rumors back around 99/2000?

How Microsoft had a console cooking, but it wasn't going to be a typical console.
It was supposed to be a state of the art standard PC with keyboard/mouse in addition to controller. It would play most new PC games.

I'd like some company to make that a reality one day. I'd like to play computer stuff but I've never had a setup that could even DREAM of playing contemporary or even years old titles.

Lo-Volt

I think the company operating the Apex brand intended to bring just such a device to market. I have no idea what really happened to it, but here's a dealtime.com entry. Edit: a 2004 article credited to 1UP has some information on the possibly stillborn ApeXtreme. Complete with a 20 gigabyte hard drive in one SKU, and a $299/$399 pricepoint that would have met consumers. Link.

acidviper

Banned
Odoul said:

How Microsoft had a console cooking, but it wasn't going to be a typical console.
It was supposed to be a state of the art standard PC with keyboard/mouse in addition to controller. It would play most new PC games.

I'd like some company to make that a reality one day. I'd like to play computer stuff but I've never had a setup that could even DREAM of playing contemporary or even years old titles.

What about that giant chrome X they showed off at E3. Would it have that for a case?

sangreal

Ninja Scooter said:
you're describing a PC.

QFT.

Buy a PC. Buy an xbox 360 controller. Mission accomplished.

Or are you just looking for someone to subsidize a PC for you?

There is always the ApeXtreme and the Phantom.

FiRez

Agent Icebeezy said:
Console developers told them to back off of that

They were serious about this?
000047_2.jpg

:lol

Why no one pushed for a standard HDD in the x360? :(

Odoul said:

I hope it doesn't happen. If you want to play PC games then buy a PC. Hell if you want to use a console controller on PC games then buy the Xbox 360 Wired Controller because it works for PC games too...

Top Bottom