• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i5 6600K, i7 6700K CPUs & Z170 Mobos out next week; Upgrade or wait to see AMD's Zen?

Weevilone

There are some more variables at play. These results showing the 5775C outperforming other chips in some gaming benchmarks has me thinking that there is at least some sensitivity to main memory latency. If you take a look memory latency measurements on HEDT, it seems that quad-channel controller is adding a not-insignificant overhead.

I would be really interested in playing around with the Broadwell 5775C since the advanced benchmarks in terms of frame times, especially difficult frames look so good with the CPU's cache arrangement. Too bad they didn't really get out of the gate ahead of the 6700k.

paskowitz

Hmmm, definitely something to think about. Also something I would probably want to do before I put my rig together and not something I decide to down the line.

Edit: Not so sure about this now after some research. Deliding and applying better paste does improve things a good bit but overall gains are more likely between 100-300mhz tops depending on my luck at getting a chip that OCs really well. And while I want to overclock this I'm not skilled or knowledgeable enough to really push the boundaries and rigorously test things. I'm more about getting a healthy but reasonable increase. I'm an amateur enthusiast at best.

For my 4790K it was just increase voltage, increase clock, step by step (benchmark, then adjust) until I got to 1.35V, 80C, or a crash. Then decrease voltage until I get a crash and revert to the last stable setting. I started at 4.5Ghz at 1.2V and increased .03V and .1Ghz at each step. I didn't bother with any other setting (since they make no sense to me). I use the Intel extreme running utility for the CPU settings and OCCT for the benchmark.

I have a decent chip. 5.0Ghz at 1.33V or 4.8 at 1.27V or 4.6 at 1.22V. YMMV.

I would say the super low risk zone is anything below 1.3V and never hitting 80C under load. If you can get a good clock at that then you are basically getting free horsepower. If your chip can do that at comfortable temps, there really is no need to delid. Anything near 1.4V is not worth the risks. There are times of great guides on YouTube. That's what I did.

Papacheeks

Banned
Surprised no one in here is referencing other site's that have these chips and are running test's ont hem outside of Arandtech?

Tom's Hardware

Tom's Hardware I found to be the most helpful to me, showing what you gain performance wise with running applications.
Also they show you what's the best bang for the buck in-terms of dollar per performance.

Arstechnica

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Surprised no one in here is referencing other site's that have these chips and are running test's ont hem outside of Arandtech?

Tom's Hardware

Tom's Hardware I found to be the most helpful to me, showing what you gain performance wise with running applications.
Also they show you what's the best bang for the buck in-terms of dollar per performance.

Arstechnica
Toms has consistently gotten worse over the years, so I usually stick to PCPER/TechReport/ThatGermanSite

I delidded my 3570k alone and it's not hard or dangerous, just don't use the stupid razor trick and you are fine. If you need any tips feel free to ask.

I would like to know more... I have a dud of a 3570k which takes 1.28 V for 4.4 with Corsair H80 cooler.

Did you use Vice method or? Not sure I can find VIce around here though.
What paste did you use under ihs and on it? I have 100 questions :p

poodpick

I would like to know more... I have a dud of a 3570k which takes 1.28 V for 4.4 with Corsair H80 cooler.

Did you use Vice method or? Not sure I can find VIce around here though.
What paste did you use under ihs and on it? I have 100 questions :p

I'm also interested in delidding my 4770k.

whoszed

I want a PC that I can have a VM running with multiple IDEs and 200 tabs open in Firefox. And be ablr to ....

DON-DRAPER-HOOKAH.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
Toms has consistently gotten worse over the years, so I usually stick to PCPER/TechReport/ThatGermanSite

I don't mind Tom'sHardware, I really enjoy overclock.net. And GURU3D use to be really decent too. But I look to arstechnica, tom's and pc gamer once in a while for performance reviews of hardware.

It's great to see base overclocking has returned with Skylake, it's been a while but looking forward to see what I can squeeze out of the Skylake when I get one.

The multiplier overclock was nice and easy for most people but it's good to have real overclocking back aswell now.

Wag

FYI: MA tax free weekend. I picked up a 5820k @ Microcenter for $295 out the door. Better deal than the 6700k I think.

Top Bottom